Saratoga Springs, NY

Skidmore College

« See more reviews of Skidmore College

Skidmore's student body is not as diverse as some schools that are in more urban locations, but in comparing Skidmore to other peer schools we match up quite well. The fact that there is dialogue on campus about the lack of diversity puts us ahead of many peer schools that don't even question the disparity in diversity. Nearly half the student body receives grant money from the college to attend partially debunking the all rich students myth. As for drug use Skidmore is no more extreme then any other college campus and while the reputation is of a drug school students are extremely intellectual and learning goes on beyond the classroom.

Commonly, the stereotype of students at many small liberal arts colleges is similar: Caucasian, privileged students who don't work as hard as they should. At Skidmore, this couldn't be farther from the truth. I am so impressed by the school's emphasis on embracing all types of diversity—through opportunity programs, admissions counselors' emphasis on international students, and the clubs and classes at the school. Skidmore is unique among comparable schools because of this emphasis, and I think that most visiting students recognize this difference when comparing Skidmore to similar schools.

The majority of the campus is liberal and many of the students do participate in some form of the arts, but some of the biggest majors at skidmore are Buisness and Pshycology. Also Skidmore may not be as ethnically diverse as other campuses, but the school is aware of that and is constantly trying to help achieve that goal, but the school is diverse in so many ways when you look beyond race. There are so many students from other states, other countries, religions, different sexualities, economic backgrounds and much more. I think Skidmore is beautifully diverse!

I think that in terms of the school's stereotypes, yes. In my three years here, I have felt that, aside from isolated incidents, the school is very accepting, relaxed, and encouragingly creative. Students feel pressure to compete academically according to their own standards; between students, I have not noticed much competitition. As for the students, most kids are left-leaning, and I would say that most students are in some way involved in the arts, and many students would identify as being socially/environmentally conscious.

We're not all total stoners! The freshman and sophomore classes are much more academically minded than the image everyone has of the crazy stoner hippie. We are pretty down with the environment-- I think that there are plans to make campus carbon-neutral by 2010 or something. We are definitely quirky, and we know how to have a good time, and still make sure that 10 page government paper gets done!

We certainly do work hard and party harder. Students here are very focused on their work during the week, and are very in tune with classes/focused on academics, but on a Friday or Saturday night, the last place we'll be is in the Library--we just want to let loose after a week of serious work--and seriously party. Oh, and 4/20 on the green is a spectacle...it's great.

yes-hipsters (but actually creative not urban-outfitter produced), it is a liberal arts college after-all but nothing outrageous from any other liberal arts institution, drugs are everywhere-you just may not know it. yes the japs travel in drone-like-packs chain smoking and wondering when their next latte and cigarette gossip secession will take place

Somewhat, but the groups are very eclectic and diverse. Skidmore is a very open and welcoming place; I always feel comfortable in any situation. And yes, we have our fair share of fun but we work hard to play hard!

I would say that there is a fair share of wannabe hippies from rich counties like Westchester, but there are plenty of other types of people...hipsters, jocks, you name it...not to stereotype or anything.

The campus is very creative and intellectual. Students care about what goes on within the school community and find ways connect their learnings with the outside world.