Saratoga Springs, NY

Skidmore College

« See more reviews of Skidmore College

Skidmore has been an academically amazing place. Most of my classes have had no more than 35 kids, and in every class my professor has known my name and has actively kept tabs on his or her students. At Skidmore, there are core requirements to take, but because of this, you get to take classes that you normally wouldn't take, which is wonderful! It was a great way to figure out what you are interested in. Students take their studies pretty seriously, and the Professors expect that. Students are passionate about their studies as well; you can hear students discussing courses even outside of class. In terms of class participation, it is encouraged, but plenty of kids like to sit back and observe. I think professors understand this, and while they do take participation into consideration, it is never forced. As an English major and a Religion minor, I have had opportunities to take interdisciplinary courses such as Religion and Ecology, and Women in Literature, as well as more common classes such as Shakespeare, or Religion and Culture. However, I've taken classes in Oceanography, sociology, psychology, Art History, and Music. In each class, the professors have been engaging and invested in their subject and their students. Overall, Skidmore is academically challenging yet nurturing. Professors are available outside of class for help and often just to talk and check in. They truly care about the students and the welfare of the college.

All my professors know my name and do try to get to know you a little bit. My roommate, however, has one professor who has no idea who she is and calls her a different name every day. I love my Italian 101 course and Intro to Literary Studies classes. The professors are nice and I have fun while learning. My least favorite by far is my EN 105 class, A Question of Faith. It is the single biggest waste of my time ever. Never have I felt such an animosty for a class ever before. If I could do one thing for the class of 2012 it would be to make sure no one takes that class next semester. Clas participation is a must. We do have intellectual conversations outside of class and people often try to help each other. Students aren't overtly competitive. We all want to do well but no one is ridiculous about it. I'm an English major and have been in contact with 3 members of the department, 2 of whom are awesome people. The third is my EN105 professor. He is a brilliant man, but a bad teacher. No one likes him very much. Skidmore's academic requirements are rigorous, particularly for your major. Within the English major the amount of courses I will be required to take and the different types of them, I will have be taking a ton of classes for the rest of my college career. Skidmore is also very invested in it's study abroad program.

Students don't seem to be that competitive. I like the psychology and history classes for the most part (my major and minor, respectively). The teachers are generally good. I approve of the school's emphasis on writing. You have to write papers in most classes. Don't say "most unique." A class is either unique or it's not unique. You sound stupid when you say "most unique." Skidmore's academic requirements are good for the most part. The college encourages a liberal arts education by requiring students to take classes in many different disciplines that teach students any different kinds of thinking and that provide them with many different kinds of knowledge. Students must take art, foreign language, humanities, writing, math, natural science, non-western classes. (I'm probably forgetting a few of the requirements.) I think all of the requirements are legit except for the art requirement. This school's too fucking artsy. Let the hippies take art; let everyone else steer clear of it if they choose to do so.

I have not yet had a professor who doesn't know me by name, nor a class over 35 students. There are a few big lectures-- introductory sciences, but they're never more than 100 and all break down into lab groups of under 20. I really like almost every class I've taken (except intro to psych, but that was a professor thing), especially my freshman seminar, Hollywood's Portrayal of Science, and my Anthropology class. It's not uncommon to hear heated intellectual discussions that then turn to music and popular youtube videos, then back to academia within a few minutes. The classes are definitely challenging, especially once you leave the 101 levels, but there's very little busywork-- everything is useful. The school's slogan/motto is 'creative thought matters,' and the professors really take that to heart.

Professors remember your name if you interact with them regularly. My most favorite classes are in the business and economics dept. while least favorite one was with music dept. Students do not study hard at least in business dept. Class participation is common. Students sometime have intellectual conversations but in a relaxing way. Students are not competitive at all. The most unique class was Dance experience in which I learned how to dance Ballet twice a week. I major in Business and we have a strong dept. here. I do spend time w/ professors outside of class and have good bonding with them. Academic requirements was too broad and not deep enough, in another word, too liberal. Both.

I know all of my professors by name and I have most of their numbers in my cell phone. My advisor Bob Turner is one of the most passionate teachers I have ever had. He has encouraged me to take difficult courses that will challenge me to work and think in ways I wouldn't otherwise. Students are highly competitive and carry intellectual conversations after class. That being said, there is always an easy way to skate by and take the easiest classes possible for the best grades. However, the academic community at Skidmore discourages this and looks down upon it. The education at Skidmore is geared to making students think intellectually and creatively, not towards helping them find a job.

We study at night on weeknights, and then (once the hangover is gone) on Sat & Sun evenings Students are more likely to help each other out than to compete for grades Classes are focused towards seminar/discussion, not lecture, which is great. Professors really make a point to know your name and to get to know you, and you do see them around campus and have conversations about topics both related and unrelated to class, which is great. Skidmore is about learning as much as possible about whatever interests you the most, along with guidance in terms of finding a career that caters to your passion (as opposed to catering your passion to a job)

Professors are amazing here! They want to get to know you, and honestly care about you as a person and a student. They go out of there way to make time to meet with you about papers, or even life. Class participation is required in many classes, although some of the 100 level lectures don't have as much- these tend to be the largest classes also. But while the professors are great, many of the students don't care about academics beyond getting a good grade. Not many students talk about academics outside of the classroom, unless its to complain about a grade or hard test.

As I mentioned above professors have a vested interest in your success and care about you even if you are not in their major. I spend time every week with professors not discussing any specific assignment. The academic requirements allow for a wide array of classes to be taken, while the school encourages certain areas of study with many choices for specific classes. Skidmore's education creates a great balance of learning to learn and preparation for the reality that we as students need to get jobs and earn a living after graduation.

We are a very serious campus when it come to academics. Professors are very approachable and understanding if you want to discuss soemthing with them. There are college requirements at Skidmore, but some people end up declarring their major based of one of the classes they were required to take. I am a Theater Dance interdisciplanary major which allows me to combine my two interests and many other deaprtments do this as well to try and accomadate everyone and their interests.