Saratoga Springs, NY

Skidmore College

« See more reviews of Skidmore College

All of my professors know my name. My favorite class at skidmore has been an environmental policy class. My least favorite has been ecology. Students study a lot junior and senior year. I would say freshman and sophomore year are easier than junior and senior year. Class participation is a must in small classes and the intellectual conversations carry from the classroom to outside of the class. My major is environmental studies. I have spent time with professors outside of class mostly for extra help.

The academics are pretty good, some classes are harder than others. Most professors are really invested in their students and what they do in the classroom. I hate how you have to take all these intro level courses to get into the higher levels, but I hear that Skidmore is actually a lot more free with their requirements than other schools. Although they pride themselves on small class sizes, Skidmore has over enrolled the past couple of years and classes are getting a lot bigger, and that SUCKS.

Your professors know you. You will probably go to their houses on multiple occasions. It's impossible to hide in the back because, well, there is no back. The average class size is about 16, unless the class is a lecture like Intro to Psych or Management & Business 107. Students are academically driven, but not as much as in many other schools. There's a lot of competition, but outside projects take priority...shows, presentations, practical use of knowledge...over GPAs.

Class sizes are great. They're all really small. I've loved most of my professors, and they all know my name. Class participation is very common and it is encouraged. I have been challenged intellectually with several discussion based classes. The requirements aren't too bad and are pretty easy to fulfill. I am a sociology and theater double major. A lot of people double major in things that are completely unrelated, like theater and business.

--professors definitly know who you are --they often take attendance, it counts --there is definitly intellectual conversation and debates outside of the classrooms, --i took a class on studying female primate strategies, study why humans orgasm, grandmother, and cheat on their mates --the education is geared towards bettering yourself and allowing you to pursue a variety of careers after school, this is not a technical school

The academics are great! The business program is really something else, in terms of real life preparation. I also took classes in art, history and English. I loved my art class, and my history class was my favorite so far, but I was a little disappointed by my English classes. I was not so fond of my professors and the way that they taught and therefore I was less eager to learn and absorb what they "taught" in their classes.

The academics at Skidmore is spectacular. The staff truly cares about the students and want for the students to succeed both in classes and in the future. Though some are quite aged, this only leads to a greater learning experience with highly experienced individuals. Class discussions are rigorous, attendance is mandatory in nearly all classes, but they are worth it, for the amount of education that will be learned.

I have been spoiled. Surely professors everywhere know you by name, actively pursue an interesting conversation for hours, even invite you over for dinner and tea. I've made fantastic connections here at Skidmore, I swing by and visit professor's offices more on the terms of equals than as a student. Hell, I've developed independent studies in an afternoon where a professor and I found we shared a love of French Film.

Small Class Sizes. Apart from the intro-level courses, which are usually only about 20 students, you'll be in classes that are anywhere from 9-15 students. Professors will get to know you, and your work. Professors are very personable, and its not uncommon to be on a first-name basis with one of your professors. yeah, some are better than others, but for the most part the faculty is top-knotch.

I know all of my professor's names and they know mine. I do a lot of studying, especially now that I am taking upper level classes. Class participation is very common. You get a liberal arts education, which is great and helps you become a more well rounded person. Students are somewhat competitive, but not too much so it is a problem. It just pushes you to get better grades.