Saratoga Springs, NY

Skidmore College

« See more reviews of Skidmore College

Skidmore is a very, very social place. The most popular groups on campus I would say are the acapella groups/ musicians, as well as the comedy troups. Athletics, not as much, but I've heard they get a good turnout at games. Theater is pretty big at Skidmore, and there are a couple of shows a semester. The dorms are a great place to meet people. Apart from Wiecking Hall, all of the dorms are suite style and opening up onto one big hallway, so it is simultaneously private and social. Kids leave their doors open, and there are always people around to hang out with. There are common rooms on each floor, and all the dorms are pretty close to each other. Once you're an upperclassmen, you live in Scribner or Northwoods, 2 on-campus apartment complexes which are 5 minutes further away from the academic buildings. Scribner is extremely social, with houses that hold 4,5,6, or 7 kids. It is like a neighborhood, with many different units and houses. At nights and on weekends, there are parties and concerts in Scribner, and there is always somewhere to go off campus as well. Skidmore doesn't have greek life, but many of the sports teams and clubs have off-campus houses, and they usually provide nightlife for students. Also, Caroline Street (off the main road) has many bars and clubs for the 21+ crowd, and a new club The Grotto just opened up with 18+ nights. There isn't much pressure to go out and party, though. Plenty of kids hang out in dorms or in the Spa or Case Studen Center at night, where there are often comedians, concerts, movies, or speakers. There's something for everyone. Skidmore's got some great traditions as well. On Halloween, there's MORBID- the halloween dance. It's the one night the entire school gets dressed up and has a good time. It gets a little crazy, yet it is easily one of the best nights of the year, and everyone looks forward to it. Also, in the winter there is Junior Ring, a semiformal dance, which again most people go to. In the spring, there is Fun Day! There are moonwalks, dunktanks, booths, carnival foods, and the best part is that it is OUTSIDE IN THE WARM WEATHER. The entire school goes out and hangs out on the green. It is at the end of the semester, so it is a great way to destress and let your inner kid come out again. There are also 2 big concerts a year put on by the entertainment committee. Often its a big name act, and again most kids go to those. There's something for everyone.

People who play sports at Skidmore support the sports program. That being said, not that many students care about our athletics program. I am involved in the Theater. I play intramural Dodgeball in the winter and soccer in the Fall. My freshman year I was supported by the television station SkidTV and I produced a sitcom about college life: www.collegeishard.tv Students leave their dorm doors open. The Skidmore community is very trusting. Guest speakers and theater are very popular. Each year the theater department holds the National College Comedy Festival. Also, the Improv Troupe "The AD Libs" and the sketch comedy troupe "The Sketchies" draw big crowds. I met my friends in my dorm and through my classes. If I'm awake at 2am on a Tuesday night I am studying. Traditions: The Naked Run...enough said Partying is not a big deal on campus. Like anywhere, if you want to drink, you can find parties. Usually parties are small and don't involve hard drinking. People like to party with close friends and be social, rather than spend their nights self medicating. Late Night is an organization that puts on entertainment every weekend. Stand-up comedians and bands perform almost every weekend. Also, students go to theater, accapella and comedy shows. Off campus is Saratoga Springs. I'll occasionally walk into town to buy records, stop at CVS or watch a movie.

Social life is great. We have soo many activities going on. There's always a play, dance thing, or acapella show going down. We have John Ashcoft coming soon. We have no Greek life. There are a lot of different clubs you can join. I have no idea how people start dating because I really don't know how that works. Generally, the good looking guys are getting with the good looking girls and same for the unattractive guys and girls. People in the middle of that spectrum are either trying to get with someone out of their league or trying to understand why they can't meet someone. I met my closest friends either in class or I was with them in London first semester. If I'm awake at 2 am on a Tuesday I'm pulling and all nighter on a paper or a project, hyped up on caffeine, and envious of my roommate sleeping in her bed while I am hunched over my laptop. Every year there's Fun Day, which I have no experienced yet, and the outdoors club runs naked across campus. Last weekend I went to my friend's play, a comedy group, and went to see Oveous Maximus do some slam poetry. And then I partied. And I don't know why anyone wouldn't want to be drinking on a Saturday.

Benefaction is the largest club. It's just about volunteer work in general. I love my activities and the people in them. Nobody ever shows up to events unless they involve hugely famous speakers, widespread intoxication, theatre or a cappella. Some dorm doors are open...not most. dating scene is the hook up scene: intoxicated make out sessions at parties. met my friends through activities. most meet through partying the first week of orientation. the real traditions aren't worth speaking about. We have a halloween and a winter dance. we have spring fling weekend, 4/20, and Fun day (get drunk on the green with moon bounces). people do homework until 4am. If you aren't getting inebriated or with people who are on a weekend you can sit around or sleep. There are events and music but they aren't fun if you're sober.

There is a club for everyone. There are no frats or sororities, but i honestly dont miss them. There are very few sports, but dont get to much support from the rest of the student body since we are a liberal arts college, but they are there. I dont find partying a problem here at all. If you want to party , there are opportunites, but if thats not your thing you dont need to worry. Ive never been to a party where someone was forced to drink or made to feel umcomfortable cause they didnt want to drink. Also if you dotn want to party at all, there are so many events and activities on campus to go to instead. Dating, if your a guy, is great you have lots of girls to choose from. If your a girl, its slim pickings, but there are datable guys at skidmore.

I'm mostly in the theater department, which eats your life, but I'm also involved with the Pride Alliance, which does a lot of LGBT themed awareness events and a dance each semester. My roommates like to leave the door unlocked all the time, but my iPod got stolen last semester so I'd advise against that. Music and the arts are everywhere, and you can always get involved/attend something. The gender ratio is 60/40 girls/guys, so the dating scene is a little sparse for girls... unfortunately. There is no greek life on campus, but there are some insane parties nonetheless. If you don't want to drink, you don't have to at all... people respect those kinds of decisions.

For a smaller school there are constantly events going on whether it is live music, sporting events, guest speakers, or a whole mess of other fun activities. Because there is no Greek system here nothing is exclusive which holds true for most every party. I can honestly say that no two weekends at Skidmore are the same, I have gone on essentially impromptu trips to Washington D.C. with the Environmental Action Club, been to parties with amazing live music or d.j.s, seen comedy shows and jazz concerts, you name it. During the week students generally study and work hard to enjoy the freedom of the weekend that much more.

Environmental club is probably the biggest club on campus. There aren't any fraternities or sororities, although Frisbee Club may as well be a frat- complete with hazing. People party almost every weekend, starting Wednesday or Thursday night- pick your poison- alcohol, marijuana, or harder drugs. There are also things to do if you aren't into drinking, although most people will think you're strange if you don't drink at all. There are concerts, comedy performances, dances, plays, and speakers, or some combination of these, most weekends.

Skidmore is full of social events on and off campus. This is an area where Saratoga Springs really adds to the Skidmore experience. The vast array of restaurants downtown provide great dinner opportunities, while there are always concerts at various bars and the SPAC. On campus the Outing club is huge. On the weekends its hard to be on campus and not hear a band of students performing in one of the on campus apartments. It's pretty hard to not find something to do during the weekends with so many events on and off campus to choose from.

Very safe in terms of dorm life and leaving doors unlocked. Athletic events are not as popular as one would think although many students are working to create more of a hype for certain teams such as men's golf, hockey and lacrosse. The party scene can be a bit repetetive however the bar scene for those of age is excellent. There are tons of great local bars in saratoga springs that the upperclassmen and those with fake ID's often find themselves at on thursday and saturday nights.