Skidmore College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Skidmore College

Michaela

Skidmore is a great university, but a very specific type of person attends Skidmore. There is a lot of passion on campus, but getting involved can be tough if you are passionate about many different things. Skidmore's accommodations are lacking but makes up for in academics.

Paul

It is a great place to study and advance your professional opportunity. Great opportunities for funding for conferences or if you want to pursue an unpaid summer internship. Not so great for social activity, unless you enjoy superficial relationships with friends.

Anonymous

alright

Sunny

Skidmore College's professors are very helpful. Having taken classes in different departments (mainly Art and Business), I have loved all the courses offers. Also, the school gives students generous financial aid packages.

Rowan

Skidmore has been a wonderful place to learn and make friends. The class sizes range from small seminar to lecture, depending on the level and subject. the dining all serves amazing food, and there are also great restaurants in downtown Saratoga Springs.

Zeynep

I think Skidmore is an excellent school for a particular kind of student. If you are artistically inclined, enjoy a variety of academic pursuits, and do best in intimate settings and close relationships with instructors, then it is the right school for you. Saratoga Springs is a beautiful town and offers a lot to do during the week and the weekends. College life is typical at Skidmore, there are plenty of parties and extracurricular activities, but no pressure to be apart of them if you don't want too. There are many interesting people of all kinds of majors and academic pursuits, making conversation great. Unfortunately, diversity is not as great at our school as many students would like it to be, and the cost is difficult to wrestle with if you are dedicated to the school. There are many diversity-oriented groups on campus, however, and ways to contribute to tuition such as becoming a residential advisor. Financial aid also does their best to assist in any way that they can, including financing internships or providing the means for students to participate in job fairs and interviews. The weather is mostly cold, most of the year, so if you are not used to a lot of snow, this may not be the best place for you. The campus is beautiful and the snow only adds to that. Professors are kind and want the best for students, and because of our small class size building, special relationships with professors is easy. Those relationships have been the most important for me so far at Skidmore. The school is not for everyone, but for those that need Skidmore's kind of learning style to succeed, it makes for a very unique and life-changing academic experience.

Katy

After nearly completing my first year at Skidmore College I can honestly say I love it. The academics are by far the most impressive characteristic of Skidmore, which I assume would be the goal of any college institution. Although challenging, the courses are informative and I have enjoyed each one I've been in. The professors really seem to care and they want you to succeed. I can tell that my journey here at Skidmore will continue to be a wonderful one. The life-long friendships I have made are incredible, and I have yet to even finish my first year here! I am a member of the volleyball team, which has also been an amazing experience. The athletics aren't taken as seriously by the other students as I'm used to, but I think that can be fixed. Just one more downside among hundreds of upsides: the nightlife. Most Friday and Saturday nights, most students are downtown, in 21+ bars and clubs. This puts the pressure on students to partake in the usage of Fake IDs, which poses a huge problem to Skidmore - as it is against the law and could reflect poorly on Skidmore if students continue to get caught. Fortunately, this is something that can be fixed, and I'm sure it will be. Overall, Skidmore has become a place that I will cherish in my heart forever, and I spend the next three years there.

Cameron

Skidmore College is wonderful college to be attending. I am so happy to be here, there isn't much more for me to say. I have found a place to call home, and while I didn't immediately fall in love with it like my relatives said I should, I have now!

Ryan

Skidmore is a great school. The athletics are important, the academics are demanding, and the students are hard working. Everyone is very friendly and it is a small school, so it is very welcoming. The food is very good for a college. Skidmore is one of the top institutions in the country.

Darriea

Skidmore simply feels like home.

soccerlover

Skidmore College is definitely a distinct taste in terms of the whole "college experience." People here are different- different in a way that will make it confusing to those who grew up in a "Boston College" sorta high school setting. Most of the people here are either closet gay, bi, or trans. There's a very small percentage of straight people here. Not saying it's a problem, but as a straight person, I've had a very hard time fitting in. Also, lots of people here also are very "artsy" or "hipster" ish. Their style is very unique, and I don't fit in with their "style", "personality", or just their "general vibe." Honestly, it has gotten me pretty depressed since I still haven't found my "set group" of people to hang out with, I generally sometimes spend weekends in my dorm, alone feeling sorta sad/lonely/depressed. I've tried going out with some people, but they either killed the vibe by talking about some weird shit, or they'd JUST GET HIGH. That's it. Growing up, I was surrounded by people who dressed relatively "normally", and when i came here, it's like people had some new style or some shit. I feel out of place that's it. To top it off, I'm a city person, who would prefer to attend a "larger school" since I literally walk by the same people everyday, and the campus is pretty small, and relatively isolated. Yes, there is a small town that's a walking distance, but given the small school with a generally small student body, it gets pretty depressing to have everything at such a minimal cost (small student body, small town, middle of nowhere...) I should've known this but coming into skidmore, I assumed there would be big games for soccer, baseball, lax, but in reality, no one really cares about the sports games, not to mention that 99% of the sports people are dicks, they think they're the shit when they're legit playing in a D3 school lmao, the "artsy" people only like to talk and include others who are "like them", so I've been feeling very out of place and lonely. ...to be updated soon...

Joo Hun

I can't deny that Skidmore College changed who I am. I am definitely happier here than I was in high school, as I met new friends who really click. People are nice in general, and it wasn't too difficult to meet new people. The dorms aren't the nicest when it comes to Skidmore, but the faculty and staff are mostly all wonderful people. One specific psychology professor––Sheldon Solomon–– helped me adjust to the new environment at the school. I think the easy accessibility of professors here is really great. The required "First-Year Seminar" for first-year students is really helpful for transitioning the workload from high school to college and there are a variety of seminars that cater to your preference. Although I am just a freshman, I am so-far having a good time here at Skidmore. If you like small classes and easy accessibility to your professors, Skidmore is definitely a college to check out.

Yaz

The class sizes are small and the professors are very accessible. If you put in the effort to meet with a teacher, they are nearly always available to help. My courses have not been too stressful or too time consuming, but you do need to put in the time to do your work. Their is only one dining hall, but many options each day such as a pasta station, global options, vegan options, a soup/noodle bar, sandwich station, and "diner" food. Overall, the food is very good, and definitely much better than many other schools that I have visited. The social scene is not as lively as other schools, and most weekend life happens off campus, and is usually only on Saturdays. However, there are always many theater and musical productions to attend on campus. I am not super familiar with these, but have only heard great things about them. If you are an athlete, your teammates are you best friends. If you are in the arts scene, those are your best friends. If you are somewhere in the middle, it is tricky at times to navigate what to do on the weekends. Downtown is always a good option. The people here are kind, not overly competitive with each other, and do not act like they are above others. I appreciate that although there is money at this school, it is not in your face or presented in an intimidating way. I enjoy meeting new people here. The school is very small, so you see the same people everywhere you go. This is comforting, but can also be frustrating. The education is great, the food is good, and the people are nice. When touring, just know that Skidmore is definitely not the party school that you see in movies.