Slippery Rock University of Pennsylvania

« See more reviews of Slippery Rock University of Pennsylvania

As an incoming freshman into any university/college, I would definitely look for the location of the university or college and its academic opportunities. Adjusting to rural or urban settings may be difficult and should be considered while selecting a school. More obviously, the academic program you are interested in as a student. Look into the curriculum, the staff, and the success of past students of the program. Many adaptations come along with continuing your education, however, these choices about your academic experience will be vital to your happiness and positive views of the chosen school. Lastly, personal interests may also be considered if the student and/or the family are having difficulty making a final decision. If the student participates in athletic events, musicals, drama plays, promotes environmental conversation, or has special social interests are all to be considered in the decision. As a parent, I believe that safety for your child is one of the most important aspects. Most campus are equipped with staff and emergency plans to prevent and respond quickly in case of an emergency. Academically, having the child succeed and enjoy their university/college experience should be considered as a parent.

I would really take the time their senior year of high school and visit the schools that peak their interest. I really think that if the student/parents get a head start into finding out what they're looking for early on then the search for their perfect matched school will be only application letters away. I have found that most schools have department heads available for questions on showcase/visitation days. So getting some time to meet with them is really helpful, it gives you insight on what the professors are like and what kind of majors suit your personal interest. As for students getting the most out of their college career, its more about how the student is and what they expect from college. I think finding friends that will stick with you through thick and thin are always important, especially in college. However, I also think that college is the transition period between being a child and going to school and becoming an adult and moving out into the 'real world' to find a career. Therefore, take the opportunity to try different things, get involved and you'll end up with an awesome resume for the future.

There are a lot of factors that go into choosing the right school. The main thing to remember is that everyone?s different. I suggest carefully selecting a school that meets all of your needs. Definitely avoid transferring which could lead to delays and setbacks in your college career. Some of the things to consider include school size and location (rural vs. city), class size, majors offered, and services provided. A big factor for me was distance from my home. I wanted to be far enough away that I could be independent but also close enough if I needed my family I know they would only be two hours away. To make the absolute best experience, I highly advise students to get involved! Being involved has opens more doors than I could've ever imagined. I?ve had numerous travel opportunities, built an amazing r?sum?, learned much more than what any classroom or textbook could teach me, gained several credible references and even made a few lifelong friends. And the list goes on! Again, everyone is different and it really depends on what you want. I truly believe that I've received the best experience possible.

The List of No Regrets: Never lose your student ID, it’s your Life Never look back and question your work, have faith in yourself and your abilities When opportunity comes knocking, answer the door Be yourself, and stay true to who you are Enjoy the dining halls, because you know you can’t cook Find a mentor, and never stop asking that person questions Love Stop being so serious, you know laughing makes you look younger Take as many fun classes as possible, because they keep you calm when you’re in your last year Always say yes! Learn to say No! Dream Big and Play Hard Remember your family is always there for you when you’re feeling all alone Study Study Study Lean your time is money, so don’t be taken advantage of The most important building on campus: The Library, you know that building filled with books Professors won’t bite… hard! It MAY take time, you will eventually create a system to keep track of your assignments, so be patient Enjoy every second of your education Relax

Basically, if you are a parent, take your son or daughter to various colleges that your son or daughter are interested in. Don't try to persuade him or her, but let him or her make the desicion based on what works for them. College is the first major step for students to decide on their future, so let them decide and support their desicsion. If you are a student, don't choose a school that your great grandfather went to, a school where all of your friends are going, or a school where your girldfriend or boyfriend is going. Choose the school that is right for you. Visit many different schools until you find the one that fits you best. When you find the college that best fits, you will know. College is a life changing, hopefully positive experience. Choose what is best for you. To make the most out of college you need to remember three things. One, have a social life. Without friends or someone to talk to, it is easy to feel miserable. Two, want to learn. Be excited that you have the opportunity learn new information from experts! Lastly and obviously, make good decisions.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, knowing what I know about college life now and the transition I made, advice that I would give myself would be to make sure that I stay true to myself and I be proud of who I am. I knew I wanted to going to college to obtain a teaching certification before I graduated from high school. But going to a college where I didn?t know anybody, I realized I had to step out of my comfort zone and be outgoing and willing to talk to others if I wanted to make new friends. But not changing my personality was most important. Having those characteristics is significant because college is the ultimate place to meet new people and create friendships. College is also a place where there are people who are from different backgrounds and cultures. Even though I might not understand others cultures, it is important that I learn about them to become a member of the global society in which we live. The experiences I have encountered during my first semester have provided me with a foundation for my college journey.

I know that watching Different Worlds gave you the impression that college is a piece of cake and filled with parties and cute guys but you should've paid attention to the episodes that showed the all night study sessions and the hours it takes to write a research paper. Though your college experience will be amazing it is important to give your all even if you do not like the class. Studying and being extremely organized will get you through the tough semesters. It is best that I warn you now before you make the wrong decisions. The best way to make the transition from high school to college is simply being organized and knowing how to manage your time. Each class you take will require a lot of your time and if you know how to manage your time and organize your work, college will really be simple. Finding out what resources your college provides will really help you especially if they have a math tutor and a writing center that reviews your research papers long before it is due. Just focus and study hard and you can accomplish anything you set your mind to.

I would be so happy to see myself again from back when I was a senior in high school because I know that I can tell myself to prepare now for my transition. I would first congratulate myself on my improvements from every accomplishment in high school and for making the right decision by continuing to challenge myself with my education. After telling myself how proud I am, I would have to tell him the news about how college really is like. I would tell myself how high school wasn?t hard, but it wasn?t easy, college is mainly challenging. It will challenge you with time management, responsibility, and maturity. In college one must understand the importance of being punctual within their schedule. One also needs to realize that their parents are not there to tell you to do your homework. Lastly, you need to grow up while in college because you?re around an older crowd of people who don?t want to be bothered by kids. I would want nothing more than to be able to know ahead of time that preparation is needed before college in order to excel within your education.

I would advise students to attend college as far away from home as they can reasonably do. Getting away from your comfort zones will force you to reevaluate yourself and grow as an individual. If you are constantly around the same people and ideas your own ideas and opinions will never be challenged and you will never grow as a person. College is about challenging yourself and who you think you are. You cannot do that if you stick with the same people and places you grew up with. I would also advise students to live in school dormitories their first year. It it difficult to make friends at first in a place as big as a university and having a roommate is a great way to start. It makes a world of difference if there's someone in the room when you get back from classes. Finally, don't be afraid to tell someone if you're depressed or confused. These feelings are normal but spiral out of control quickly. I myself was reduce to scratching cuts in my arm before I finally spoke to a friend about it. Friends are there to listen so talk to them.

You can't know what college is right for you from a simple internet page or a piece of paper that has been mailed to you. Go to the school. Visit and really take in the area around you. Look at how the students interact with one another, the smiles on their faces, the bounce in their step. Talk to professors and upperclassmen, and dont be afraid to ask questions. Once you step onto a campus that is right for you, you'll know. I did. And when you become a student in the fall, make the most of that place you're at. Join as many clubs that you can that interest you. Talk to the people you sit next to in class. Run for positions and become known to people all over the school. Make your voice heard, and let people know who you are. You are important to this college. Study hard, make your professors your best friends, take advantage of office hours, meet with your advisor, participate in class-in everything you can! Learn all you can while you're here. But most importantly, learn who you are. Learn that and you can do anything--everything.