Slippery Rock University of Pennsylvania Top Questions

Olivia

If I could go back to being a high school senior I would of taken the application process more seriously. I would of looked at more colleges across the United States to see what the best Exercise Science Programs were. I also would of started scholarship opporunites earlier. The bills in college add up a lot faster than i realized and made paying for school more challenging. So knowing this I could have sat down and applied for schollarships every weekend in high School. Overall Im very happy with my decision to attend Slippery Rock Univerity. Its a great school with great opportunites for success.

Michaela

I would tell myself to go in undecided and to not worry about what I want to major in and just focus on classes. I would aslo encourage myself to join the clubs that I did.

Cytnhia

I would tell my high school senior self to work really hard to get good grades my senior year and to not get worked up about making the transition to college life because, it's not as bad as everyone makes it seem it is. College is fun but work so you have to work hard and not let yourself get lazy and slack off, you have to stay on top of your academics always if you want to have good grades. I would also tell myself not to let things bother me so much because college is a completely different place and you around people you have never met before and to think of it as a clean slate, a place to start over. No one there knows your past so they can't hold it against you.

coral

If I could go back and give advice to my high school self I would tell myself not to rush picking a school or a major becouse its a big step and one of the first you'll be making on your own. After that I would then tell my high school self to start packing sooner and to not pack so much as there is a long walk to your dorm and you won't use half of the stuff you bring anyway and you will get more stuff as the year goes by. You'll get stuff by bringing it back from breaks or your prarents bringing things they think you need, but don't. I would also tell my self to get out there more and mingle with people. The more friends the better! Lastly I would remind myself to take a chill pill everyonce and awhile and to not stress so much. I would tell myself to "Save the stress for when your looking for a job not while you are still descovering who you truly are, be open to new ideas and people, you might me surprised by how much you like it or them".

Chelsea

Hello High School me, Starting college may seem like a stressful time. However, make the most out of it and study hard. Do not slack off. You will do great. Make sure you are okay with who you are rooming with because if you are not, make sure you do something about it. Have fun. Don't stress. You'll do great! College Senior you!

Bernadette

College is a transition into another life. First, look at your current finances and don't make a decision on what people would find most pleasing, make a decision that would be best for you. The expense of loans add up and it will affect long term finanaces in your future. Many people and peers look down on going to a community college, but for someone that has to pay for school on their own, it makes a lot of sense to start out getting all your liberal classes finished. It is much more resonable than starting out and going to a university with having to pay a higher tution and pay for living expenses. In the end, the main goal is to gain a degree to better your future. I would also highly reccommend getting involved in campus activities. The people you meet are a part of your college experience and getting involved helps for you to find people that have the same interests as you. As cliche as it sounds, enjoy each moment that you are given because an opportunity like going to college is a privledge and going to college is a blessing.

Katie

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to follow my dream. I chose my second-choice school due to money restraints and distance. I would tell myself that everyone has college debt, and eventually, I will be able to pay it off, even if I attended a more expensive university. I wish I would have known that in high school, because I feel I made the wrong college choice due to the price and distance. I would also tell myself to start studying in high school, because when I got to college, I did not know how to study. I would tell myself to start learning how to study in high school so I was not in for such a big shock in college. Other than those few tips, there is nothing else I would tell myself if I could give my high school-self advice.

Casaundra

I would tell myself that I need to learn to be more responsible. Stop relying on your mother and begin to take small steps towards taking care of yourself. If I learned that earlier I would have adjusted more easily. I would also add that in order to make friends you have to be a friend. Be considerate of your roommates and put forth an effort to really get to know people. Everyone here is friendly but you really have to work to get to know people. Show them that homeschoolers aren't socially awkward after all. One of the last things I would tell myself would be to begin writing things down. Don't just hope you will remember to do something instead take the initiative and write it down so you remember and can do it thoroughly. Last of all I would tell myself don't give up. It's going to be rough but you will make it through. Don't push your family away they are there to help you. If I could tell myself these things I believe the transition into college would have been a lot easier.

Kenya

I know that watching Different Worlds gave you the impression that college is a piece of cake and filled with parties and cute guys but you should've paid attention to the episodes that showed the all night study sessions and the hours it takes to write a research paper. Though your college experience will be amazing it is important to give your all even if you do not like the class. Studying and being extremely organized will get you through the tough semesters. It is best that I warn you now before you make the wrong decisions. The best way to make the transition from high school to college is simply being organized and knowing how to manage your time. Each class you take will require a lot of your time and if you know how to manage your time and organize your work, college will really be simple. Finding out what resources your college provides will really help you especially if they have a math tutor and a writing center that reviews your research papers long before it is due. Just focus and study hard and you can accomplish anything you set your mind to.

Dave

I would tell myself to learn how to study and be a more studious student, otherwise you will have some challenges in your future academically.

madison

If I were to go back and have a chat with Madison in her younger days I would tell her to not stress as much. She would be informed that high school does not give you the study skills you need. But do not fear, you will do fine. Once she makes it through her "I would rather sit in my room and read than go out and make awkward encounters" phase, she would make some loyal friends and finally find a career path. College really does help you find yourself and what you want to be.

Brandon

Do not expect the difficulty of college to match that which I was accustomed to in High School. My Chemistry teacher continually attempted to challenge us and share with us that what we would experience in college was of a much higher degree of difficulty than we were experiencing in some of our other classses. Being a typical teenager, I did not listen to his advice and began my freshman year expecting to sail through as I did in High School. At week 3, I quickly learned that this teacher had been trying to prepare us for what he had experienced and I was just beginning to experience. If I could go back in time, my advice would be to listen to the advice of this experienced educator.

If given the opportunity to talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself to focus more on the atmosphere of a campus rather than the presumed prestige of a particular school before making a final decision. Campus visits are very helpful when considering your options. The most important part of the transition into college life is that you are comfortable within your surroundings. It may not happen right away, as it is normal to feel apprehensive about leaving home for the first time, but if you feel out of place and uncomfortable on a campus, you will not be able to succeed there either socially or academically. In order to be successful anywhere you must be confident in yourself and it is difficult to do that in an atmosphere where you feel unwelcome. It is for this reason that I feel the atmosphere of a school is more important than the prestige of the university. I feel that, in many instances, you get out of your education what you put into it and if you are not confident in your abilities you have very little hope of succeeding.

The most important thing that I have learned about college life and the transition into to college is to not put too much pressure on yourself. During my senior year, there was a lot of people that told me that since college is a new beginning I would be able to start over. I found this to be untrue though because I put so much pressure on myself to make friends that I was not able to make friends and started to act differently so people would like me. I quickly realized that the group of friends I made did not really like me, they liked the fake me. So, my advice would be to just be yourself. You will make true friends that way. You are better off making friends that like you for who you actually are rather than the person that you created in order to fit in. Also, it is important to keep your old friends from high school, but do not let them hold you back.

Crystal

If I could go back in time as a high school senior, I would tell myself to always work hard and to never give up when there is always more that you can do. When I was a senior, I worked hard; however, when it came to applying for scholarships I always thought they weren't important. Now that I am in college and had to obtain student loans to pay for it, I realized that this is the real world now and that it isn't right to "slack off" when it comes to applying for scholarships-- no matter how long they may take. Even if the scholarship is only $250, that is still a lot more than what I had before. In my future, I have a set myself career path. My dream is to become a dancer and perform for Disney Cruiseline, and even though that may sound like an amazing job, I know a dancer's pay is extremely low. Consequently, I know that if I try my absolute hardest to obtain scholarships and grants, my life after college will not be so bad. To conclude, I would tell my senior self, "scholarships are important".

Jon

Don't stress out too much. Even if you struggle in high school, college is a new start. Anyone can succeed in college, as long as you are willing to put in the work.

Audrey

Senior year is one of the hardest and most confusing times in a young persons life. It's the year where you are faced with so many big decisions and options. It's also the time when you feel like every move you make is being watched under a microscope and everything you decide on needs to impress those around you. If i could go back and talk to myself, I would tell myself not to worry about what others want and focus on what I want. I would have told myself that going to college for undecided isn't going to dissapoint those around you. I would actually be more persistent about taking my time and making sure I was happy with every single decision. I would have told myself to relax and just let God take the wheel. I see now that everything worked out just the way it needed too and that all that worrying got me nowhere. If I could go back, I would be more precise and sure about every choice i made. Unfortunately I can't go back, but i can start using this advice now.

I would tell myself not to focus so much on my social life and focus more on my studies. I barely studied in high school, and if I studied more, then I could have gotten a higher GPA and possibly some scholarships. The little petty things that happen with friends and boys do not matter in the long run. Good grades lead to a bright future, not a boyfriend. That is why this year I am learning from my mistakes and focusing a lot on my studies.

Amanda. I know you're confused on where you want to go to school. Just remember where ever you go have fun. Don't declare a major it will just put added pressure and maybe down the road you want to change it. You will feel lost in what you want to be, but thats normal. Also, don't try to do everything. You can't do it all. Take a step back and relax sometimes. Go to a football game, hang out with friends, play hockey but don't make it all about school. Remember all those naps you didn't take when you were little. Well here's your chance to make them up. During the day if you feel like you need it. Take one, but only for 30-45 minutes or your head will hurt. It will help you feel refreshed. In the end, always remember that you can do it and don't be afraid to ask for help when you need it.

Robert

Get your head out of your damn ass and transfer into SRU after you go to BC3 and get your accounting degree, you are going to love it and be very happy!!!!

Richard

I would tell myself to make sure I say on top of my academic endavors becasue of my athletics for the school. I would make sure I knew that I need to study more than I had in order to keep myself out of grade troubles during the semester, especially during the sports season.

Brianna

Dear Brianna, I know right now that you are worried out about what college to choose, what major to take up, and making new friends. Stop stressing but keeping working hard. Slippery Rock University will be the college of your choice. You'll fall in love with the Social Work major. You might have a rough start but don't give up you'll be able to push through it to be successful. Believe in yourself you can accomplish whatever you put your mind too. Trust me you'll end up exactly where you are meant to be. Sincerely, Me

Diana

Apply to more schools so that you can make a more informed decision. Don't be afraid that you are don't have everything planned. Apply to as many scholarships as you can. Work on your writing skills. You'll do fine in college as long as you don't procrastinate. Meet new people and get involved it will make senior year more enjoyable and will give you experience for college.

Looking back on my high school and undergraduate years, I do not regret anything, but it would have been beneficial to know some things that I wish I had known prior to transitioning to college. I definitely learned a lot about myself during my first year of college. I learned how to manage my time by studying at the library and making schedules in order to get my work done, as well as socialize. In addition, I learned self discipline and taught myself to complete certain tasks such as finishing projects on time and completing honors service hours ahead of time, in order to reduce stress and find time to hang out with friends. Also, I learned how to manage my finances and buy less of what I wanted and more of what was essential such as groceries and school supplies. Overall, I have grown as an individual and I have began helping young individuals, going through the same transition, to better prepare themselves for when they go to college.

Jeremiah

It's very easy to get distracted in your freshman year, but you have to be fucus. The parties will always be there even after college, so party but study harder and maintain a high grade cause in the end, it counts with the knowlegde you've aquired.

Knowing what I know now, I would tell myself not to even hesitate. I would say that I'd have the best roommates, I would meet my best friends, I would get involved in learning a new culture and try to make a difference. I would also tell myself to learn time management much earlier, because second semester would be so much easier. I would say to get involved with the American Sign Language Club much earlier in the year. I would say to focus much more in studying and you probably could of had an A in Statistics. I would want to remind myself that although the winters are almost unbeaerable that the fall and spring weather is very beautiful. And that even though I'm an hour and a half away I don't have to wait to come home on a weekend. I would reassure myself that Slippery Rock University was probably the college I could have gone to.

Don't worry. It won't do you any good. You're doing everything right already.

If I had a way to go back in time to talk to my high school self, I would give myself this very important advice: Get involved in as many scholarship programs as possible! My parents are not paying for my college education, yet I live under their roof and am not eligable for financial aid. I now have two options: Move out and wait to become eligable for financial aid, or look for as many scholarships as possible that are not based on the income of my parents. I was lucky enough to receive one scholarship that paid for my first year of school, but I know the next few years will be a hard struggle. This is why I would advise myself to look for as many scholarships as possible. They are out there, and it is important to look for them.

Stacie

The List of No Regrets: Never lose your student ID, it’s your Life Never look back and question your work, have faith in yourself and your abilities When opportunity comes knocking, answer the door Be yourself, and stay true to who you are Enjoy the dining halls, because you know you can’t cook Find a mentor, and never stop asking that person questions Love Stop being so serious, you know laughing makes you look younger Take as many fun classes as possible, because they keep you calm when you’re in your last year Always say yes! Learn to say No! Dream Big and Play Hard Remember your family is always there for you when you’re feeling all alone Study Study Study Lean your time is money, so don’t be taken advantage of The most important building on campus: The Library, you know that building filled with books Professors won’t bite… hard! It MAY take time, you will eventually create a system to keep track of your assignments, so be patient Enjoy every second of your education Relax

Christine

Something I admit to myself almost every day is how I should have listened to my parents and gone to a community or state school starting my freshman year. I went to a private school that I thought would offer the world to me and ended up being stuck on the side of a highway with the same people I’d known since middle school. It was simply 13th grade..no one had grown up, but everyone was always in your business as if it was theirs. That small college was filled to the limit with egotistical students who looked at college as a good time and would never find the true meaning of life for themselves; they would never grow into the person God made them to be. I’ll remember the lesson I learned the hard and expensive way and be sure to send my kids to a state or community school where they have so much more to offer for such a smaller price tag.

Tasha

Shawna

The most valuable thing that I have gotten out of attending Slippery Rock University, wasw the ability to communicate with people. When I first started attending this university I was a very shy person and I did not know how to communicate with people all that well. Now that I am in my sophmore year, I have learned how to make friends, as well as how to talk to people that I have never met before. By attending this college I have also been able to learn how to talk to adults. By having this ability it has helped me, in the career field as well as being able to become a stronger person. It has helped to get my voice heard, as well as helped me realize what I would like to do for the rest of my life. My ultimate goal in life is to become a politician. By learning how to communicate with people is a major asset a politician should have, and I have been blessed to have learned how to do so.

Tori

I have realized that I have much more potential than I realized in high school. Going to college has really opened up my view of myself, and I feel like there is much for me to achieve here.

Marcie

I discovered that I really like to learn. That is one thing that high school did not teach me. College has taught me to appreciate just how much I don't know, and to do my best in learning as much as possible. It seems like every class I take makes me want to take 3 more. At the same time, I don't feel like i HAVE to take more classes, it's just that I'm understanding things better than ever before and I don't want to stop learning. It's a great experience!

Justine

I have been in college for three years now and I have learned so much about not only myself, but about life in general and how lucky I am. My major is social work and I have gotten to participate in an array of different activities where I was able to make a difference. I helped with assisting the elderly, raising money for breast cancer, helping with habitat with humanity and so much more. I also, joined a sorority at college and I now have friends close enough to call my sisters from now until forever. I learned about self-discipline, hard work, and time management that will be useful to me in the future. The memories I have established at Slippery Rock are the most valuable to me along with the information I have gained throughout my experience here. I feel like I am prepared to make the step into adulthood and get involved in a career that I am passionate about thanks to this University.

Zack

My college experience is teaching me about the real world. I am learning how society functions and what is "normal" due to the fact that I have been introduced to people from all over the world who have various viewpoints and opinions. In high school, everyone is forced to see the same people and basically same type of people since it is only one community of students. In college, a whole spectrum of personalities and experiences are thrown into one place and encouraged to get to know each other. College is meant to prepare us for the rest of our life. Meeting all kinds of people aids in that preparation.

Latefah

I am just entering my freshmen year of college. I think it is valuable to attend college because, i fell as though if there is someone willing to teach you, why not go and get taught! I also fell if you can make your life better by going to school why not go!

Jake

College is a battle. This battle ive been on is going on for three years now. I have learned a lot in my battle of college experience. Some of the things i have learned is not to stay up all night parting and then attempt to go to an eight in the morning class. Some of the positive things i have learned are a little painful, like how to study and remember organic chemistry equations. But the most important thing i have taken out my college experience is how important a college education is, espically in this had time. Ive seen many young adults struggle to find jobs, many who dont even have a college degree. I Also work full time making minum wage and see grown men with college degrees sweating with me. I have relized that although college can be a lot of fun and play it is much more than that. It is what i make it to be and how i make it work for me.

arielle

By attending college, I have realized that in order to succeed in life it is very important to work vey hard and always keep your priorities straight. If you have your mind set to do great things you will do great things, but that is only if you work hard and stay focused at all times.

Alison

I have learned that I am more independent that I actually realized. I thought that I was going to have a hard time being away from home, and at first it was, but then I was able to find a good group of friends and people that shared the same interests as I did. This school has been valuable to attdend for many reasons. Slippery Rock is known for its teaching program, so from teh very start of deciding what major I wanted to do, I had slippery rock in the back of my mind. The teachers are very nice, and will do anything they possibly can to help you succeed. They are very welcoming, and make you feel wanted and needed in your career. It was a very good choice of schools, and I do not regert choosing Slippery Rock University as the place to continue my education. We Rock!

Kaylee

When I first started college I did not like it at all. I left the university and attended a trade school. Now that I am a certified phlebotomist, I realized that education is really important and that I can succeed and pass college. I now want to re-attend college and pursue a associates degree. After that I will concider a bachelors or even a masters. I needed the trade school to help me learn what study technique works best for me. Now that I have learned how I can help myself study and memorize what Ive learned I am more prepared and determaned to continue and return to school. Now in our society education is required. Some jobs even when not requiring a certain degree still require two years+ of schooling past high school. I dont want to one day be stuck to where I cant support myself or my family because I didnt continue in my education. Education is key to success. Knowlegde is key to happiness. Happiness is key to life. I encourage everyone to attend school and never give up! Its hard but can be acheived!

Rochelle

I have gotten so much out of going to college. Being a single parent raising two kids is rewarding in itself, but going to college is amazing. I have a new sense of renewal in mind, body and soul. I am learning and retaining more as I am older than I ever have. I am starting a new career later in my life and with my experience and classroom instruction I will become more of an asset. I have grown more as a person, a woman and a colleague. I recommend returning to school for anyone who is looking for a higher understanding and wisdom.

Shannon

So far, my experience at college has showed me that my career choice was a good one. The professors here are so eager to help with any homework or questions that I might have about what to do after I graduate.

Renee

What I have gotten out of my college experience, is self satisfaction and confidence in myself. I am a part time hairstylist, and I have four children that I adore. As they are growing and in school themselves, I found myself wanting to do something in the community where I would be appreciated during the day, when they were gone. Not having an education really seemed to hinder my possibilities, which is why I decided to go back to school after so many years. Going to college has helped me become a better person because it has given me confidence within myself, and a sense of peace. When I first went back to school, I was unsure of myself, and I wondered if I would be able to accomplish both my education, while at the same time, continuing to be a great mom. I discovered that not only can I go to school, and maintain a 3.7 GPA, I am much happier now, enabling me to be a better mother, wife and person. College has given me the freedom to dream, and the ability to see a bright prospective future in store for both my family and myself.

shane

i have become a more well rounded and balanced person, more responsible and independent. I have made not only new friends, but new contacts. I have had an oppurtunity for overseas travel and that experience was one I will never forget. Being in college has enriched my life!

My college experience was a time for me to grow into the person I am today. I have learned that you have to work harder for something that doesnt come easily. I went to Slippery Rock University of Pennsylvania and received a bachelors degree in Public Administration. Although I value my degree, I wish I would have taken time to find myself and figure out what it is that I truly want to do. I have found that now and I would like to continue my education. I have found the perfect program for me and the only thing standing in the way of fulfilling my dream career is the money. Slippery Rock was a valuable experience, because I learned that experimenting with classes and picking what you like best is not the way to go when deciding a career. I now know what I want to do as an adult, which is why I am trying to go back to school. I've learned that no matter what happens in life, if you have a dream, go for it.

I have gained a love for knowledge and all things that can relate itself to knowledge. I love seeing my peers engage in lessons and be fascinated by lectures and it's beautiful for me to watch passions be born into students that would have otherwise been ignorant to their true calling in life. Being in college hasn't been the easiest thing I have ever done and it isn't always the most fun but if I have learned anything it's that in those four walls of a classroom something magical happens. I take comfort in the fact that my generation isn't what the media says, a lost cause, we are something so much more. How do I know? I see it every single day. We are the future of not just our country but of the World, and our duties and the problems of today and tomorrow rest on our shoulders and to know that my peers are just as interested and just as eager and will be just as capable as I am to face those challenges is the magic that I talk about and that magic starts here in college, with knowledge.

Tyler

The biggest advice that I would have needed to receive was to not be afraid of a challenge. Initially I had decided to major in business management rather than what I had really wanted to do, computer science. This is because I knew that majoring in computer science would be very difficult and be quite the challenge. However know that I have put my mind to it, switching to computer science was the best thing I could have done because now I am enjoying what I am doing and I am realizing that the challenging aspect of this major is the best part about it.

Emma

If I could go back and talk to myself as high school senior I would laugh when "I am scared of college" left my mouth. I would tell myself to make a lot of friends and have fun with the classes. Not everyone has the opportunity to go to college, so if you go in armed with that knowledge and a positive attitude, the learning experience is truly a fun, amazing, and once in a lifetime experience. Also, bring some rain boots. They come in handy when you have to trek across campus in the pouring down rain.

Erik

The greatest advice I would give myself is to push. To set my course, set my goals, and keep moving. It is far too easy for so many students to graduate high school, and find themselves seemingly overwhelmed by college life. But the truth of it is that the world outside the doors of academia, without the benefit of a college education, is far more overwhelming, and bereft of opportunity that holds a chance for comfort or even advancement. Simply get yourself to school, I would tell myself, and persevere. The end result is worth every ounce of sweat and tears you will pour out. The true American Dream is built on hard work, perseverance and toil, not on the whims of fortune. It is a lesson we could stand to learn, every person, today.