Slippery Rock University of Pennsylvania

« See more reviews of Slippery Rock University of Pennsylvania

Something that I wish I would have known before I came to Slippery Rock University would be the fact that most classes are not structured like they are in highschool. Professors in college expect you to know the content and be prepared. Eventhough a majority of the professors are willing to help you when you need it, they are not going to check up on you. As I am now about to begin my second semester, I am more aware of the way that college classes are stuctured. I will continue to strive to be the best I can be.

I wish I would have known how much trouble I have gone through. At first I loved it but now trying to keep a GPA up to their par to recieve finanical aid is killing me. I thought that this was the less expensive school that I picked, but that is just because the numbered they gave me were a bit unclear. I also exprected to make a lot of friends because that's how high school was, but since I'm not in a sorority no one seems to want to be friendly to us.

I wish I would have known that the Freshman 15 (gaining fifteen pounds my freshman year) was really not a myth. I wish that I was a bit more culturally well-rounded before I came to school that I wouldn't have experienced as much culture shock when I came to SRU. I also wish I would have thought a little bit harder about my major before coming here, too, but my wonderful advisors helped me get onto the right path of Social Work & Criminal Justice.

I walked into the college setting being pretty well prepared in every aspect, however I could have never predicted that I would need to know knowledge that I was already taught. Listening to lectures and writing papers on just about any topic has widened my eyes as to how much I could have learned if I would have appreciated my high school education. I wish I would have known the educational oppurtunities that were available to me before I graduated.

I wish someone had told me that you don't have to study all the time. Studying is very important-- the main purpose of college is to graduate and get your degree. However, living on campus and being a full time student gives you plenty of time to do other things! I think that being involved in extracurricular activities during college has really helped me to grow as a person and encouraged me to do fun things while I'm not busy studying.

i wish i would have known how amazing it is. i really love this school. the classes are the perfect size, the professors help so much, and the friends that i've met are incredible. i don't think i was ready for the amount of good things that were about to happen before i came here. i'm just so thankful that i came to slippery rock. i feel as though i will be able to succeed in my major and find my dream job

The only thing that I truly wish I had known before I came to this school was that, had I started the process earlier, I could have been a more contributing member of society, and had a greater self-image. I spent far too many years working to barely keep my head above water, when, had I simply shown some discipline and determination, I could be at a better place in my life by now.

How much the administration doesn't care about studying abroad and how valuable languages other than Spanish and French are, and how important the social sciences are as opposed to their uncanny obsession with making gym teachers and "theraputic recreation" counselors. True story.

I wish I would of known that school spirit is not as strong as some other schools. Being able to go to a football or basketball game with the seats packed with students is a lot more exciting and enjoyable compared to when the student section is less than half full.

Not to be so nervous and learn time management. Most first year students are nervous for classes and studying and meeting people. All you need is to balance your time. That was one thing that I learned and also something that my friends helped me with.