Northampton, MA
Smith College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Smith College

Tracy

Diversity, acceptance of difference cultures/sexual orientation, rigorous coursework.

Lack of social life for heterosexuals.

My experience at Smith College can be summed up in one word, and that word is confidence. At Smith, I learned the confidence to be myself, the confidence to do what it takes to succeed, the confidence to take chances, and most importantly, I gained confidence in being a woman. For me, attending an all-woman's college was extrodinarily valuable. If I had attended a co-ed college, I doubt I would have graduated with the same level of confidence. Smith was an accepting school that pushed female students to grow, learn and change. Smith professors are supportive and engaging. Simply being surrounded by intelligent, intellectual, creative women is incredibly inspiring. Smith also provides students with non-traditional opportunities to grow - like a semester-long for-credit internship at the Smithsonians, an opportunity I was excited to partake in. Since graduating, I have used the confidence that I gained at Smith to succeed in the "real world." In less than two years, I am at the director level, and have individuals who report directly to me. I owe my success to the professors, the administration, and most of all my fellow classmates. All inspired me beyond words.

Breathe. Life is what happens while you're making plans. I have found, in my experience of applying to and attending college, that expectations are rarely met, but that what you end up with can often be surprising and wonderful. High school is the time to learn how to work, to realize your passions and to focus on your special gifts. College is the time to rediscover who you thought you were, to reimagine how you see the world and to refocus your passions so that they not only blossom and grow and change, but so that they can be shared with your academic, professional and global community. As you make the transition from High School to College, know that you will face challenges, but that you are fully equipped and prepared to take them on, and that they may not be what you expect, but that the outcome of your hard work and your willingness to keep an open mind and heart will reward you more than you ever thought possible.

The academic resources, the beautiful campus, the town, the variety of passionate students and faculty.

Laura

My school is a highly academic, high stress level, very competitive, extremely rewarding, absolutely painful, utterly disorganised, completely non-accomodating, sweep everything under the rug, helpful, insightful, illness-causing, panic-inducing, georgous, community-creating, connection-making, atmosphere where learning and life changes occur.

The best thing about Smith is the information about life that you learn outside of class. At Smith there are some amazing women that you are able to meet from all over the world. Everyone has there own story and you are able to learn from them in ways you couldn't imagine if you did not have the opportunity.

As a junior in College, I now know things that would have been helpful to know while still in high school. If I could deliver important and insightful information to myself as a high school student, I would recite words of empowerment and personal growth. I would advise to always stand strong in my personal values and seek to continue to grow. To maintain a steadfast faith and that trials and tribulation will in fact come in my direct path. I would inform myself that the world and people I may trust will change and I must continue to seek and strive for an ultimate goal of making myself happy with my choices, my outcomes, the wisdom that I gain from them and my internal self. I would say that grades are not everything and that it?s important not to lose myself in achieving greatness, and greatness shows when my character radiates. I would say that success is not measured by the marks given by someone assessing me despite our society?s perception to impose this fabrication, but the amount of fulfillment, happiness and accomplishment that I find in my efforts, my goals, my loved ones and my life.

Melissa

Every kind. The more diverse the better. The student should be original and not "joining the bandwagon".

I wish I had learned how to study, to properly use a library and to take proper notes that made sense after class.

"Hey, ignore the guy sitting next to you. Who cares if he was the star of last night's basketball game. In 15 years, he will be working for the donut shop that you stop at in the mornings on your way to college. Pay attention and actually 'learn' how to write a thesis sentense. Learn how to use the library resources now and not wait until your senior year at college. Don't pay attention to what the other girls are saying in the halls about your clothes - they will come back in style and you will wish you hadn't thrown them out. Be proactive with your goals, you can do it.... and you don't need some boyfriend telling you that you can't, especially since he will drop out of college and you will continue on to graduate school! Study smarter, not harder! Give them the sizzle, not only the steak! And for crying out loud: learn to eat new foods - pizza will only go so far!"

Alexandra

If there ever was a bad thing to say about Smith College, it would be the world's attitude towards us. It is almost as if the world is threatened by strong female minds.

My friends could hardly believe I would chose to go to a women only college. I was not that type of girl. I knew the moment I stepped on campus what I felt. It is an undescribable sense of empowerment. Here the women are not second to men, we are equals. Being a Smith College student makes you strong. You learn to believe in yourself. Smith embraces you with open arms and fosters even your littlest dreams until they become reality.

The thought that haunted my head as a high school senior was not the typical will I get in. I knew that I would get in somewhere because there are so many different colleges one could attend. My biggest fear was that I was not sure I could do it. I did not know if I could take on this new level of education. I was unsure if I could move to another place, live with a new person, go to harder classes and somehow pay for it all. If I could sit my high school self down and tell her one thing, I would look into her eyes and tell her to be not afraid. Life can throw a person some serious twisted paths to walk along, but there is always a path. There is always a way forward and one will succeed if one is determined. My high school self, if I could talk to you, be whoever you want to be and smile every single day. You can do it.

Veronica

Smith is best known probably for being a women's college, but other than that it is best known for its rigorous academics. It is highly focused on undergraduate research and provides untold amounts of academic resources. The classes are challenging, but Smith has tutors for everything, and the professors are very available to help you out, even for large lecture classes. The students themselves are very academically focused and pretty competitive about grades. It is a Smith stereotype to be that girl that keeps trying to discuss grades with everyone after exams or papers are handed back.

The cost is definitely the worst thing. Smith now costs more than $50,000 a year to attend. Smith does provide need-based financial aid, but provides very little merit-based aid. So Smith will do its very best to make sure that you or your family can just afford tuition, but there will be lots of loans. Also, where you may expect scholarships from another school, don't expect them from Smith. Navigating the financial aid office is rumored to be difficult too, espescially when your financial situation changes and you need your aid reviewed.

You're telling yourself that you don't want to go to a girl's school. You're annoyed because it's the only prestigious college that accepted you. You're already plotting transferring after freshman year. First off, you're going to a women's college, not a girl's school. Second, you need to rethink why you're going to college. You want to go to a coed school so you can meet boys, and think if you don't meet them now, it'll never happen. So here?s a dope slap from the future for you. You are not going to college to get married. You?re going to get an education that will be the foundation for the rest of your life. You didn?t work so hard to get into college just to meet the one. You worked hard so that you could get into a college where you could be academically challenged and study what interests you. You?ll find that at Smith. So wake up and get ready for the time of your life. Also, there are three coed schools a free bus ride away. You?ll be okay.

Deirdre

Any student that views Smith College as a "good school, despite the the all-women part". It is such an integral part of the Smith College experience, and will perhaps be one of the most trying aspects of student life. Before attending, you have to decide whether or not you can be happy in an all-woman environment, and if you are unsure, or come in with the mindset that you'll just get through the next four years, Smith College is not the place for you.

The most important thing to know about Smith College is that there are no men on campus. You will be seeing women for the next for years in concentrated doses. The all-woman college atmosphere provides for some large ups and downs: on one hand you often feel isolated, it can be a huge hassle to meet men, there is a large gay population (this can be both positive and negative), and the drama can be overwhelming. On the other hand, there is a sense of empowerment and an unparalleled education, and close bonds with fellow female students.

It can be really easy to lose track of the reason why you are in college, why you're studying so hard for a test on a subject that you won't need for your career, when instead you could be partying or watching a movie with friends. And now that you are an adult, it truly is your decision, your parents will never know if you stay up all night, and you have every right to do so. But you have to remember that you are going to college (and paying all four limbs for it) for solely your benefit. You need to decide what you want to get out of college, and keep your eyes trained on that goal. You have to study, write and read more than you ever have before, in order to become aware of the world around you, and in order to begin to think and learn critically. While you're in college, you might as well get your money and time's worth.

Ellis

Smith College is full of intelligent and active women who pursue not only a higher education, but also many different interests, political, artistic, athletic, and otherwise.

If I could advise my high school self about college decisions, I would tell myself not to be too hasty or pressured when making my decision. I am glad I ended where I did, but I know that many of my decisions were based on the prestige a school's name had attached to it, rather than the actual worth of the school, or even my own interest in the school. Not knowing what you want to major in or even where you want to go to school is completely normal. However, choosing a school based on what you believe others want you to do or become is all too normal as well, and you must try to push aside those thoughts when making your final decision. After all, spending four years or more at a school you can't stand is a waste of your time, your money, and your life. Choose a school you love or like, not the one your parents or teachers or society love or like, and everything will work out in the end.

As far as frustrations go, I must say that I find the few bad teachers on campus a bit infuriating. When paying a great sum to attend any given college, one assumes that all of the teachers will be, if not amazing, at least adequate at their jobs. Though there are very few bad teachers here, the fact that there are any at all seems disgraceful to me, and the fact that I must suffer because of their ineptness is a bit frustrating.

Shirrell

Shirrell, seeing how your life has turned out at age 40, it would be wise to stop chasing after Greg and focus on your school work. The two of you thought that you would get married and have kids, but that's not how it turns out. You have kids with a "dead-beat" dad, your kids are great but you raise them alone. Both you and your children deserve better. So stay focused, graduate and go off to a prestigious black college to experience living on campus. College life is definitely about school and doing well but you meet so many new people that later in life you can network with. The parties are so much fun, although I went to a community college, I loved the University parties I attended. I know you don't want to go to college right away but you are young and sometimes we need that push from an adult who is wiser and experienced in life. Trust me, things will work out better this way and you will not have to juggle going to school full time and working while raising kids. Now go break up with Greg!

Most of the other schools I considered were "safer"-they were in my home state, and co-educational. I only considered one other women's college. What set Smith apart is the sense of energy on campus- it's not a competitive energy, it's a genuine drive to be the best at whatever it is you do, coupled with the desire to enjoy the companionship of the other people around you. Most importantly, all the school's resources are meant for the students, and specifically geared toward women: all the facilities, classes, etc. are meant for ME. Awesome.

That being surrounded by women is not really problematic (for me), that I would be pushed to think about the world in new ways, that I would be challenged academically more than ever before, that it would get stressful at times, that cost is important, but so is quality, and that, ultimately, this was definitely the best place for me to be.

Dear Steph: I know this has been a long process, but please, have faith in your decision. Smith really is the best school for you. Don't get yourself down on the cost-that will work out. And don't worry about being away from your friends and family. Just focus on going in and making the best of your Smith experience. Live it up! Focus on your classes, because they matter. Focus on your STRIDE research, because you're getting paid to do it. But don't be afraid to reach out, meet new people, and get outside of your personal-space-bubble. Because that bubble WILL get invaded. Don't ever assume anything about anyone else. Don't rule out an activity because you've never done it- and don't do an activity just because it's familliar. You will be tempted to compromise your morals, but you don't have to to fit in. People actually will like you if you show an interest in them. Your friends will come from the most unexpected directions. Oh, and you're going to end up playing rugby (surprise!), so please bring lots of socks and underwear. Love, Steph.

Smith College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.