Northampton, MA
Smith College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Smith College

Randall

I would tell myself to definately consider attending school as soon after graduation as possible. Being a 29 year old student, i found it to be much easier being a student as a younger man in all aspects of the learning process. My memory retention was much more effective and i have forgotten many of the skills needed for effective studying. I have had to apply much more time and effort as an older student in order to achieve the same results as a younger student. I know it seems as if it may add too much time to an already drug out process, but in the scope of life i have wasted much more time waiting to attend college. I have wasted time doing something that i have other than enjoyed only to find myself returning back to a learning situation to do what i could have done some 11 years ago and engaging in a profession that holds my interest and potential happiness. And for what, money? Hardly worth it. So I beg you to stop, think and take the little extra time needed to achieve what you will now and not later.

Amalie

I know you are not very good at it and mother tells you all the time "You need to have more patience" but Amalie listen to your mother for once in your life and have more patience. Please. When you walk into Smith College do not expect within a week of being there that you will have made friends that you invite to your child's graduation or that you will love your professors or that your professors will love you(they don't even know you yet) and if you get lost a couple hundred times walking around the campus, enjoy winding up in different areas of campus and go exploring. Inhale this lost, scrambling. "I'm so confused and I don't know where my first class is" moment like it was Mariah Carey's new perfume(I assume she came out with a new perfume, she's always coming out with something). I want you to dance when you get lost, dance right there in the middle of I don't know where and dance when you find yourself alone at lunch again. Dance because this "getting to know college" phase is the most beautiful part.

Sometimes, my school in its' well-meaning intentions to be progressive, can be close-minded to all ideas and refuse to listen to out-dated ideas of the past that conflict with the progressive agenda even though the mark of "a good education is the ability to listen to almost anything without losing your temper or self-confidence." Robert Frost.

A woman who doesn't mind going without men for a while, who dosen't need to stare at men in her philosphy 101 class because there will be no men to look at. A woman who has a love of cute towns with little cafes and small clothing stores. A woman who is interested in the liberal arts and likes to dabble in the sciences as well. A woman who isn't afraid of feeling powerful for the first time in her life. A woman who wants to be told the story of her gender.

Amelia

Smith is friendly, hard, and mind-blowing in a good way!

Smith is friendly, hard, and mind-blowing in a good way!

I wish that I had been more prepared for the extreme load of homework. If I were to do all my assigned reading, I litterally would not have enough time to sleep. I also wish I'd known to really make an effort to make friends sooner. My first semester was was horirble because I had no friends, and was under a huge workload.

I transferred from a community college to Smith, so I would warn myself about taking more classes that would be actually useful to my four year education. I took lots of classes that I enjoyed, but frankly I could havbe taken more sciences and histories at the community college where it would have been SO much easier, and then been able to take more of the interesting, but still useful, classes at Smith. I would have also tried harder to work on my social skills at my community college.

Jenelle

Houses where everyone lives aren't like any other. They look nothing like regular dorms and you really get to know the people who you live with. Everyone in the house does things together and it's as if you get to come home to your second family every night.

If I could go back and time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would want to tell me to really learn how to sit down and study. In high school I never really took the time to learn good study habits. I was always able to sort of get by by winging it. Since I had started college I really wish that I had learned how to study well. I would want to teach my high school self how to do research and how to take notes. These are things that I never realized I didn't know how to do until I got into college. Somehow I have learned these skills, but it would have been a lot easier if I had just known them from the start.

The bes thing about my school is how small it is. This means that my classes are small and I learn better in my classes. This also means I have a strong sense of community because I know a lot of the students on campus and we all do group activites.

Markeisha

It is an extremely liberal institution.

It is an extremely liberal institution.

Chose a college that is career-oriented and small with professors who care about their student's future.

Liliana

talkative, open, liberal, smart, hard-workers, women of the highest caliber.

talkative, open, liberal, smart, hard-workers, women of the highest caliber.

Can be hard to reach out to other schools, unless you are in an extra curricular activity. Hard to meet men, it's an all women's school. Can feel closed in, very stressful, especially during finals period!

I visited 17 on the East and West coast of the the USA, and ended up applying eary decision to a school that i hated when i visited it. But now i call it "home". My point is, sometimes you don't find your dream school when you're in high school or after you graduate, sometimes you find it at school. You make the best of your school, find the friends that make you happy, work hard, and most of all, deiscover your new self as you grow into adulthood. That's really what college is about: working hard academically, while you are blossoming internally throughout your many challenges. As parents, you should know that it always works out in the end, and that all the stress you feel for your child to make the right choice is normal, but sometimes there isn't a "right" choice, just fate. And students, remember it's only four years, and it goes by so quickly! So live it up, reach for the stars and get what you want out of your college expreience.

Katherine

Tour Everything! I would have never applied to Smith if I hadn't taken a tour and fell in love. Go there and try and imagine yourself there. If it fits, it fits. If not, move on. Once you find the school and get in, take advantage of everything in the 1st couple months. Find a million clubs to join, do every stupid activity in orientation and you'll get the most out of it

The social life. Kids here can often be too focused on school work that they forget to have fun on weekends. Weekends here can often be so boring I make my girlfriend come visit me just so I have someone to hang out with whose head isn't stuck in a book

Women here can often be so focused on their own personal gain that they will screw anyone they need to get ahead. I've heard of girls actually ripping pages out of books where they found good info to go towards research papers so no one else gets the info

Great academics, nurturing environment, traditions, strong sense of community

Great academics, nurturing environment, traditions, strong sense of community

Smith treats students like children too often

Try new things. Make friends with many different people. Study abroad. Go to a school that will challenge you.

Caitlin

It's a women's college that encourages independent thought from women who deserve the opportunity to opperate in a community without restraints based on their gender, race, sexual orientation or anything else that may be used to identify them elsewhere.

I would advise parents to, perhaps for the first time, trust their children. This may be the most important decision their child ever makes and it is of the utmost significance that it be entirely up to them. Also, I strongly recommend not basing decisions on financial restraints. Loans can be taken and jobs can be worked to pay them back. Going to the right school, regardless of cost, can make a huge difference in their student's life and happiness. My college education is costing me a lot, but I do not doubt for a moment that it is truly priceless. To students, I would recommend following their intuition. I don't know if college is the best four years of one's life, but they are truly amazing. There is no better time to change and grow into the person one will become and finding the right place to do that is so important. Look into the future and think about what WILL be important, not necessarily what seems important as a senior in high school. Most importantly, no matter what, take the time to make sure that your decision feels right in the bottom of your heart.

I wish that I had been prepared for how much this place would change me. It's a good thing, but it was still a shock. I'm a totally different person now.

Smith College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.