Northampton, MA
Smith College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Smith College

Jeanette

The housing situation is very unique to Smith. We have actual houses (varying from 15 to 130 girls) instead of "dorms". We are also very unique in that we are an all-womans college.

I tell my firends about the amazing classes I have and how smart the professors are. I love to brag about the housing on campus too.

People say that you have to visit a college to know if it's right for you. I would dissagree with this because I spent about 10 minutes visiting my college before I had to leave for a different college. The college I now attend is in fact not even my first choice school, but I am coming to find that it was the RIGHT choice. I see now that Smith had everything I wanted, before I knew I wanted it. Finding the right college is not easy, but knowing exactly what you want ,down to the very specifics, is half the battle. Making the most out of your college experience is also not easy, but the same rule applies. Knowing exactly what you want to get out of college will help you to seek it out and acheive it. I knew I wanted to get the best education I could from a place that people would recognize when mentioned. I wanted people to think "she went there? We'll we know she got a great education." However, I also wanted to learn enough to back this up. I have sought the best education and found it at Smith.

Lisa

Focused, talented, ambitious ladies.

Focused, talented, ambitious ladies.

Do not look at U.S. News and World Report rankings! If you have the resources to afford any college/university, than put off career considerations. Jobs care more about who you are than where you went to undergrad. If you do not have the resources, look at schools with big endowments and a commitment to middle class and poor students. Lastly, make a list of values that are important to you or values you look in a friend, such as tolerance or piety or kindness or just someone who can have a good time. And than ask yourself honestly, does this institution value that (Many of the top institutions are not affiliated with a religion and many others will be a foriegn world to someone who didn't attend boarding or prep schhol)? In the end, lots of practical considerations (location, tuition rate, etc.) will determine where you go, but make the choices you do have count by taking the time to honestly anser them.

I wish I had known how important it is to pick a right house to live in. I also wish I would have had more time to explore the majors.

rebecca

Academics are difficult. You need to work very hard for an A.

Academics are difficult. You need to work very hard for an A.

Never give up. Make a change- move colleges if you are unhappy. Go abroad.

Shari

My college is best known for the academic vigor and strong skills each student posesses. Whether dedicated to the arts or sciences, the students here become masters of their trade.

As a young applicant, I was accepted to every college I had applied to. This made my decision more difficult, the choice was entirely mine to make. I had a goal in mind, to become a neurosurgeon. The right college for me, was the place that allowed that goal to become a reality. This meant, I needed a place which lifted me up; which supported the academic rigor needed throughout my college career and of course a place that gave me confidence in my abilities. I needed comfortable living, supportive staff and like-minded classmates. When I stepped onto the Smith College campus, I saw women from all walks of life set on becoming a force to be reckon with. Women who were empowered and proud, like I had never seen in my community. I had visited without my parents, it was the most expensive school on the list. But, my parents trusted I was able to pick my environment needed and they trusted my goals were sound. My advice is to find a place that makes your dreams come true, that makes you feel in control.

I would considered the liberal-conservative imbalance the worst thing. The school is very liberal and often times the conservative view is ignored.

Allison

Someone who is homosexual, or okay with being around homosexuals. Someone who is focused and smart and ready to learn.

The worst thing about this school is the meal/dining plan. there is only one plan: either you can eat (three meals a day) in the dining halls, or you can't. And the food is quite poor quality. The menus have not changed since I started herea year and a half ago.

I would say, definitely visit the schools that you are interested in. If possible, spend a night at the campus in one of the dorms and talk to your host about everything that you ar curious about. Ask as many questions as you can think of and talk to as many people as possible about their experiences. Also, make sure you get a tour of the specific facilities that belong to the department that you are intereseted in. Especially science students: make sure to get a tour of the labs and lecture halls!

Aislinn

Smith is liberal, energetic, nonconforming, grueling, exciting and fun.

Smith is liberal, energetic, nonconforming, grueling, exciting and fun.

Choose it for yourself, not because someone in your family wants you to go there. Make sure its the right place for you.

Someone who is not afraid to take chances and make mistakes. someone who is tolerant and openminded, and who can discuss their ideas and be receptive to other's ideas

Ishara

Friendly, but obsessed with being PC to the point of annoyance, and oversensitive.

Most of the houses are very nice, and the school is working to renovate the ones that have problems.

I think it's definately very important to visit as many schools as possible before you have to make a decision. Think about how big you want your school to be and what kinds of classes you'd like to take. If there are aspects of your high school that you didn't enjoy, try to look for colleges that have what you really need. Also keep in mind what kind of area you want to live in. If you love the city, a school in a small town is definately going to be a hard change. If you get to school and you think you might have made the wrong choice, tell someone about it! Don't be afraid to research into transferring if you feel out of place. Don't be too rash, but you shouldn't make yourself stay in a place you don't enjoy just because it might get better. Finally, try not to worry if you have no idea what you want to do. People will keep pressuring you and asking you what you want to do with your life, but almost nobody actually knows what they want to do yet.

Melissa

Don't believe what the school tells you: schools lie. Don't believe the tourguides: they are paid by the school. Don't believe the alumni network:they are the ones who kept in touch. Investigate for yourself. Find a student who does not like the school and ask them why. This is the only person who will be truly honest.

There is insufficient help for poor students and this money instead is given to rich minority students, simply to inflate the school's minority statistics.

Kayleigh

Smith College is like a cat: she keeps you working hard, will sometimes bite, but overall you still love her.

Well . . . I feel that I was prepared well enough to come here. The HONS (Head of New Students) in my house on campus (yes, Smith sorts people into houses) were very helpful at giving us information before we came.

To decide on a college, you need to keep in mind that it will be attended for roughly four or five years?for an eighteen-year-old, this is a substantial portion of his or her life. While financial considerations should factor in, make sure that the overall package is what you want in a school or you will find yourself miserable. You don?t only pay for the academics, but for the entire pool of networking contacts you will meet in the other students who go to school there and for the prestige of your school?s degree, which can help keep you in an employer?s mind. Regardless, partying shouldn?t be high on your list of things to find in college?even the schools not on the ?top ten party schools? list will have a wide range of weekend activities that you can enjoy, especially at nearby colleges.

Chelsea

I love the town/environment. It is very liberal, it has a classic New England feel to it. Both the town and the college are not too big, yet not too small. It is a liberal school where people can feel free to be themselves and be accepted for it, I like that attitude of comfort and tolerance. It is an ideal environment in which to learn and grow as a person, to meet like-minded indivuduals and establish connections.

The best advice I could give to anyone looking for the right college to attend is to seek out an academic environment that fits your personality; be in your element. It is easy to become overwhelmed by statistics. Every potential college student spends hours poring over web sites and books, trying to determine where they can get the best degree, where the best professors can be found, where they can attend small classes or receive the best post-graduate assistance when they enter the job market. All of these factors are important, along with considering financial aid, but no amount of research can compare with visiting a campus. The bottom line is that your overall experience will depend on your state of mind, your quality of life, the connections and friendships you make along the way. College is not simply about the academics, it is about personal growth. Choose a place that is comfortable, where you see yourself reflected in the other students, where you can imagine enjoying a weekend on campus and having lively discussions over dinner. After all, college is a big invesment--invest wisely in yourself and the rest will follow.

I think the fact that it is a women's college is simultaneously the best and worst aspect of Smith. It creates an environment in which women feel uninhibited and can really indulge in a journey toward self-discovery, and it is a very comfortable, safe campus. It is empowering to attend an institution founded as the women's counterpart to the Ivy Leagues (men-only at the time), and there is much value in tradition, but many students (especially straight ones) find they miss the male element on campus and dating can be quite difficult.

Smith College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.