Smith College

« See more reviews of Smith College

What is the stereotype of students at your school?

There are a couple of types: 1) The girly girls who wear pearls, miniskirts, northface polar fleeces, and flip flops at every available opportunity. 2) The super gay lesbian types with short hair and men's clothing. 3) The nerdy girls who have no social graces, no makeup, wear capes, and play D and D. 4) The indie girls who go to rock shows all the time, smoke, and make fun of your favorite band. There are plenty of people that fit none of these categories as well. Also, some people combine a few of the types. Everyone is considered to be smart. People from the outside think all Smith girls are desperate and horny and get really excited to see boys. Maybe some do. I don't really know.

Smithies are sometimes thought to be brainy and talkative in class, bordering on know-it-all-ness. Intimidatingly intellectual. Sexually frustrated because it's a women's college. Or, conversely, all gay because it's a women's college. Very feminist, study a lot. I think older generations think of Smithies as women from well-off families who wear pearls and sweater sets.

When I tell people (around my age) that I go to Smith, they often respond with, "Are you a...lesbian?" One of the stereotypes is that Smithies are angry, men-hating, hairy, eco-obsessed, hippie lesbians. I've also heard two polar opposite stereotypes: we either are party crazed sexually promiscuous deviants, or we study all day and don't have a social life.

a lot of people consider smith to be the lesbian school. they also think that we get really up in arms about everything. i suppose you could use the five college scooby-doo analogy. smith is velma; mount holyoke is daphne (though smith used to be daphne); amherst is fred; hampshire is shaggy. (umass was never included to my knowledge).

People say that Smith is a place that breeds radical feminists, and that Smith students are mostly all lesbians. People also say that Smith is just the place that rich girls with pearls hang out until they get married. Clearly, there are some different accounts going on...

People think that Smithies are all Lesbians, that we are forceful and aggressive feminists (as though this was a bad thing to be). People know that Smithies are smart women going places!

Stereotypes about Smith are that it is a lot of rich, white liberal women who are caddy and bisexual. That they are unattractive (thanks GQ magazine) and obnoxiously feminsit.

Many Smith Students are homosexual or are questioning their sexuality-or temporarily change their sexuality during their 4 years at Smith.

Smith students are gay, masculine, man-hating, overachieving, wealthy and competitive.