Rohnert Park, CA
Sonoma State University

Extracurricular Activities

Nearby Shops and Services

Irene

It is a great school with some very happy and friendly students. The campus is beautiful and there is so much to get involved in! Living in the dorms is a great option for first time freshmen! The town near by is small but there is everything you need and a short drive away you have great places where to hike, eat, there is the big Santa Rosa mall.

Kasey

The campus is absolutely beautiful. There are a huge variety of clubs and activities to partake in on campus, you just have to be actively involved to have a good experience. There are plenty of shops and towns to explore nearby. One perk if you are 21 years of age is the beautiful wine country nearby. There are also many activities within driving distance, such as Bodega Bay or San Fransisco. The campus is fairly small but not too small, to the point where you usually recognize at least one face while walking to class. I've had my fair share of great and not-so-great professors. The biggest complaint would have to be the lack of classes available when you register. I personally haven't had a problem getting my classes but I've had many friends who haven't gotten the class schedules they wanted or needed. I'm going into my fourth year here at Sonoma State University, and I would definitely recommend this college to others.

Robert

Overall, SSU is a great school. There are many opportunities for students to do well. The location is great because it is 1 hour North from San Francisco which is close but not too close. The cafeteria is awesome. It is a tight knit community that is positively developing. Sci. 120 class is the best for learning field trips and hands on research experience. Atmosphere is good. Avoid marijuana, it is rampant. Students show up to class wanting to learn which is nice and a good educational environment.

Heather
Sonoma State

Sonoma State

I love it here ! The main reason I came was for the scenery. There are multiple lakes on campus with fountains. The dorms are great too my sophomore year I was in a single condo on campus with my own room, my own bathroom, cable and a full kitchen!

Kalesha

My classmates provide exceptional support in educational and social aspects while also creating a campus enviornment where I feel comfortable expressing my own interests and beliefs.

My favorite part of Sonoma State is being able to comfortably express my interests while having the support from my classmates and professors to make my dreams a reality. It's a privelage to walk around campus and see familiar, friendly faces of students and professors. With a smaller school population, there is a higher possibility for you to actually get to know your professor on a personal level as well as the people you regularly pass in the hall ways. Sonoma State gives you the tools to make a successful, interactive, and enjoyable college experience.

Sonoma State is a small close knit school. The staff and faculty in the kinesiology department were incredibly supportive and fantastic at their jobs. I had a very positive experience here and would recommend it to anyone.

If I could go back in time and tell highschool senior self anything, it would be to take college seriously from the start, put in the extra effort, and take a few extra units each semester. It would be worth the extra work to get done earlier and start in my chosen career. I would also tell myself to be more involved in campus life, that such a community is hard to come by and to enjoy it while I'm young and have that opportunity. I would emphasize the importance of internships. Experience is invaluable as well as networking I should have started much earlier. The relationships you make in college can be so rewarding not only on a personal level but also a professional level. Most importantly I would tell my past self that college is a great experience and to be so grateful for the opportunity to go. Instead of dreading class and exams remind myself that not everyone is lucky enough to go to college. I would tell myself that I am capable of anything and towards the end of my college career I would be raising my beautiful daughter and would graduate with honors.

I wish I knew what I had wanted to do before I got to college. I also wish I had known all this school has to offer in terms of extracurricular activities and clubs.

Kaitlin

The worst thing I consider to be at Sonoma State is the lack of school spirit. In high school I loved to attend sporting events, as I was involved in sports. Since there is not a football team, I feel it disperses the students and there is no unifying factor. Although there are basketball and soccer games, not many students attend.

A person who loves school spirit and thrives on community oriented places should not attend this school. In order to become actively involved, you must go out by yourself and meet new people.

samantha

Everyone was either friendly, talkative, uninterested, or kept to themselves.

Everyone was either friendly, talkative, uninterested, or kept to themselves.

Dear Samantha, Don't be so shy! Go out into the world and research what is out there. Explore different career options and pay attention to your surroundings because you never know what you'll discover next or who you will meet. You already know you love working with children so go and intern or volunteer at a school! Talk to everyone you meet at the school site and inquire about their position there. You may find out about a potential role or career choice you did not know previously existed. Study diligently and take your work seriously. I know your mind is focused on boys and what outfit you are going to wear for the week, but trust me, going to class and doing your work well will get you further in life. Also, cherish your time with your friends and family, but do not be afraid of making new ones! You just might meet your best friend in college. So keep moving forward and always strive to be a better you. I wish you the best of luck!

I wish I would have known exactly what I wanted out of a career. I majored in Human Develpment because it was so broad and allowed me to choose from different areas to enter into. However, I wish I would have done more research and internships to explore my passion for children further to help narrow down a more specific major. There are so many different options and fields of study in the world.

Monica

Small safe environment that continues to expand the possiblitites for students by adding more classes, programs or events to engage the students such as the Green Music Center.

Eager to learn, most of them are busy with academics, sports, clubs, work and/ or greek life.

My senior year was a struggle for me because I felt I was on my own when it came to applying to college and scholarships and I felt. I was determined to study in San Diego State because I had fallen in love with the school, however I was limited in money since I am the one paying for all of my expenses, mainly which include school. It came to the point when I thought my community college wouldn't be an option. As I reflect on all the actions I made then and how far I have come now the advice I would give myself would be to use my resources to help me find more information about college and scholarships, but most importantly to believe in myself. Though I didn't go to my dream college I have made the best out of the opportunity I got here. It's not about the college its about what you make of it, which I learned through experience in my college life. Thanks to my additute, I have gained so much experience and accomplished goals I never thought possible because of limited money and guidence. Si se puede!

Ella

Well if you have heard the expression take of your cool jacket I would recommend following it. I have always disliked the saying being a shy person myself, however as soon as I started putting myself out there and joining clubs and organizations my college career became twice as fun. You get one chance to do the college experience so take advantage of all of the opportunities provided to you! Study abroad (I did it was amazing), join all the clubs you are interested in, play intramurals, go use the help centers they are amazing and hardly anyone goes. Just taking in the things around you goes a long way in making you part of the campus and creating memories that will last a lifetime. It is also about who you are as an individual when you are choosing a college. Yes the schooling is important but it is what you want from it. Big school or small school? Sports or no sports? These are things I wish I had thought about more because sometimes I feel like I missed out on that big school feel I had sort of wanted. But no matter where you choose have no regrets!

I think anyone would really like this school it is a laid back environment and very nonjudgemental. It is peaceful and beautiful and you are able to be who you are whether that is artistic or logical. Also since we are small you have the ability to have small classes and really get to know all of your peers.

Someone who really is career structured and that is all they are looking for. The alumi situation is not great and a lot of companies do not recruit on campus. As well as someone who really wants a big school feel with sports this is not right for you.

We use the most current publicly available data. As such, we don't remove or edit college information. Sources for school statistics and data include the U.S. Department of Education's National Center for Education Statistics and the Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System. Portions of college data include copyrighted material, which is reproduced on this website by permission of Wintergreen Orchard House, a division of Carnegie Communications. © 2009-2016 by Wintergreen Orchard House. All rights reserved.
Financial aid at this institution is only available for those who qualify.