Rohnert Park, CA
Sonoma State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Sonoma State University

Julia

Many students celebrate their transition to college life as a step toward independence. They no longer have Mom and Dad looking over their shoulder to make sure that assignments are completed on time or that they are in bed by a certain hour. They can make their own decisions, and they relish the fact that they don't have to report to anyone but themselves. At the same time though, they may not count on the fact that there are consequences for their actions. If their assignments aren't done on time, they receive a bad grade. If they don't get enough hours of sleep, they can't concentrate the next day and miss some of the important information they are given in lectures. They also might not count on the fact that homesickness can set in, affecting their performance. Knowing what I know now about college life and making the transition, I would tell myself to keep up the good work because you will benefit from it eventually. Also, even though your parents may seem overbearing at times, they are really looking out for you. And, remember, you only get one set of parents -- cherish them.

Interestingly enough, the food is the worst thing, and it isn't even all that bad! I mean, it's not Mom's home cooking, but it will tide you over during the semester.

If you are a slacker, don't even think about it! This school has high expectations for their students, and they reward those students who work hard and do well.

Matthias

The advice I would give is not to take advantage of the freedom and be prepared for a larger amount of responsibilites.

I consider the class sizes, surrounding area, dorms, environmental awareness and technology aspects of Sonoma State to be the best things.

I consider the lack of diversity the worst thing.

Destinie

I would tell myself to apply for more scholarships because It has gotten really hard for me and my mom to pay for college especially after my brother's spine has gotten so messed up. He now has to go to the doctors a lot and is on a lot of differnet medications. If I would have applied for more scholarships it would be easier to pay for everything and I would not need to work as much to help pay my way through college. Because, I need to work so much it leaves less time for me to do my homework. This means that my grades are not as good as they could be and that I am not taking as many classes as I possibly could. I wish I would have known that I would be in this position when I was a high school senior so that I could have planned better.

The best thing about this school in my opinion is the one on one personal time you get with your teachers. I like the fact that all of my teachers know my first name. I do not need to feel strange or like im impeding when I go talk to any of my teachers. They always have time to talk with me if I have questions about the material covered in class.

A person that would be best suited for this school is someone that does not want a huge school with over populated classrooms. They should also want that personal one on one time with their teachers.

Heather

Sonoma State University is smaller compared to others. This gives the advantage of having one on one time with professors. In my experience, I was failing my exams. I needed help, and was able to have the time with my professor to go over what I needed to improve and to succeed on my final two exams. The time he spent with me included two hours out of his day that did not include office hours. I did succeed in my last two exams and received an A in the class. The opportunity to have this time was unique.

Going back in time, I would tell myself what my biggest struggle was academically, because socially and overall, academics was the main concern. My main problem in transitioning to a freshman in college was the amount of time it took to study. I was an A student in high school, I thought I knew how to study, but I soon discovered it could take me eight days to study for an exam that was not a midterm or a final. High school teachers tell you all the time they are preparing you for college, that is where they are mistaken to a certain point. They prepare us for college in the little things by giving scenarios or projects, telling us that this would be what we had to do in college. What they do not prepare us for is the amount of work we would have. Looking back at high school it seems very simple.

Their is a variety of courses and departments, so it is open to everyone. However, Sonoma State University is a student oriented facility, focusing its attention on the community on and off campus. Sonoma State University is not a party school, it requires work, and semi high academics to succeed in any department. A lot of clubs, organizations, and buildings are student run, with only supervision of faculty. This focuses much on leadership and involvement. If a person is not willing to give extra time to the campus they live on, it may not be a wise decision.

Jesus

I would definitley go back and tell myself to do as much as possible in school, participate in extra curricular activities, join clubs, and do interships that would look good towards my career. I aslo would tell myself to not worry about the "now", but the "future" because that was something I always had a problem with untill recently. I would tell myself to be aware and take advantage of the different scholarship opportunitee's I could apply for as a senior in high school, I never really paid any attention to scholarships because I thought I would just go to community college and financial aid would cover it so I wouldn't need any scholarships, but now I've changed my major to Recording Arts Bachelor's and that cost a bit more than general education. and last but not least I would tell my self think about whats important for my future, hanging out with friends, or applying for aid to attend college and better my self to start a career of my choice that I love and have a passion for.

Molly

Very open to ideas and a beautiful campus.

Very open to ideas and a beautiful campus.

If I could talk to myself as a high school senior I would say to go away to school the first chance you get. I would've started right away at a 4-year university instead of attending a community college first. I would say to go away as quickly as possible so you can experience life in the dorms as a freshman and actually be a part of a campus community. I would get more involved form the beginning so you won't get caught up in the 9-5 world while you're still attending college. Go away to college as soon as you graduate high school and experience all there is to do like studying abroad and attending campus social events.

Devon

"Don't drink the water!" College will give you the oppurtunity to meet people with a lot of different ideologies than you! Speak up, stand up for who you are and where you came from. College is about finding out who you are, but its also a place to find you voice. If you believe in something than speak up. Professor's appreciate students who care, regardless if it doesn't comply with their own beliefs. Don't sit in the back and mindlessly agree or accept others views, be true to youself. "Dev, don't drink the water." Quench your own thirst.

I do enjoy my school. I am actively involved in a sorority and am at campus nearly all day long, five days a week. However, the administrators and staff personel really leave much to be desired. If you have a problem they are not very helpful. They often act as though it is a burden to help. This sentiment is common among the students and well as professors. I have heard more than one teacher exclaim how they feel like second class citizens in the offices or admin buildings.

If you are a liberal student, who is looking for a green campus this is the school for you! It is beautiful, green and open. There are many oppurtunities for liberal students here, such as "Project Censored" which is a book published every year by the school. I am a republican and often find my voice ignored in class. If someone is looking for a place to define their liberal, political ideologies Sonoma is for you!

Ryan

Our school is best known for it's variety of programs offered, giving all students a chance to succed in their own fashion. Business and Nursing are the two departments most sought after by students. Sonoma State is also know for its open anf friendly campus, whether students of staff/faculty everyone is here for one another.

I would first kick myself in the butt and tell myself to shape up. Having gone to a community college for three years was nice to get a feel for what college is like but it didn't give me the full experiance. I would tell myself to try harder in applying to colleges my senior year instead of taking the simple route and just going through the motions of community college. I would tell myself to accept the call to adventure and work harder in trying to go to a four year colege off the bat. I would also tell myself to party less, I wouldn't take back the memories I have had but to tone it down. I needed to concentrate on some of my studies more in my first couple years at Sonoma State but instead I was trying to have a social life. Follow you heart, have fun and learn from experiances. I could tell myself all the do's and don'ts but that is what life is all about learning from our mistakes and memories.

I consider the atmosphere of the school to be the best thing. There is a friendly face everywhere you turn. If someone is having a bad day, there is always to get a "pick me up". I worked at the Recreation Center for four years and was always greated by friendly faces and did my best to return a smile to anyone who walked in the door. I believe the students who attend Sonoma State are there to improve their lives not just in education.

Olivia

It is a pretty liberal with and is very interested in social justice.

It is a pretty liberal with and is very interested in social justice.

I wouldn't care so much about what others thought of me

It's not too big and it isn't too small. It is open to all kinds of people.

Sonoma State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.