Rohnert Park, CA
Sonoma State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Sonoma State University

Jenny

Be sure that you and your child understand the major programs, and consider declaring a major going in to the college, whether or not it will be pursued. This allows them to explore what they are most interested in at the time, and if it does not work out, they are no worse off than if they were undeclared. I cannot get into the major of my choice yet, so at least they can already be accepted into a potential major. Also, I was never given too much responsibility regarding finances, so without making it a burden on the student, I think that some way to give them more responsibility than they were given at home would be appropraite. (if you are paying their bills, put the money into their account and let them pay the bills). This teaches them budgeting and will probably make them more conscious of their money, and of all that you do for them. Finally, let them explore their new college on their own at first! I have seen very often where students appreciate the freedom, and in turn, wish to see their families more, as they want to share their accomplishment with you!

I am not extremely fond of the book buy back policy. Rarely are books able to be bought back by the school. Most of the time you must donate them to get them off of your hands, or they will buy them at a very small fraction of the price that was paid, and then resell them at the exact price the book was originally purchased for. I understand that a profit must be made to continue the system, yet I believe they are abusing our need for books.

We have been given a limit on units to take during one semester. Only 16 are allowed, which makes it difficult to register for all classes I would like to take. Also, I am having a hard time declaring my major due to my GPA, although other majors do not require the same GPA. These two issues combined are making it difficult to achieve my degree as soon as I would like, and should be able to.

Stacey

They're friendly if you need help. Can generally get along with everyone.

They're friendly if you need help. Can generally get along with everyone.

Not sure, but it's becoming very "green".

To the parents: let your children go and grow; college is a great learning experience. To the students: it's important to find a good balance between school and friends (and work too, for most). Make sure to visit the school before you choose it. Being away from home can be frightening but once you're well-adjusted it is amazing.

Daniel

Make sure you visit your top choices and stay in the area for at least 2 days. Don't let a financial burden decide for you, the experience at the place you want to be will make up for the finacial set back. Apply for any and all scholarships!

The quaint and beautiful campus make it easy to maintain a positively focused mind. Smaller class sizes make it easier to meet with professors.

Breana

My campus is very green and eco-friendly. Our rec center is made completely of recycled materials including solar panels. We also have many clubs including the Residential Student Association which run programs on a weekly basis to help on camps residents meet people and get to know each other.

The one main piece of adivce i give to perspective students of any college or university is get involved. When freshman sit in their rooms and do not meet people, they do not give themselves the chance to get to know people other than their roommates and maybe classmates. By getting involved they will be able to make friends who have both similar and different interests in life and be able to make friendships that will last a lifetime. Also, students who do not get involved will find themselves more often transfering home because not makeing friends is the same as not fitting in. When trying to find the right college, i would give people the same advice i was given, "pick the school where you can see yourself on graduation day, not the school your boyfriend or friends are going to." Choose the school that is best for you not for others.

The ratio of males to females at SSU is low so it makes it difficult to find a partner. Many of the classes become gender specific which is interesting.

Tina

The most important factor for my choice in SSU was the location. As a single parent my schedule is tightly booked and driving to Sacramento or San Francisco would have severly disrupted my good parenting. Secondly, SSU has an amazing children's care program on site. I had the most amazing experience of having lunch with my daughter between classes. That is unique and one-of-a-kind wonderful.

Communicate! It was very important for my parents and I to be on the same page about the experience we both wanted for college. My ideas and theirs did differ, and we didn't know it in some ways until up to the last minute. By talking out ideas and being honest about not knowing what you want, it is easier to get help from qualified people on campus. During college, if you are behind in your studies, low on cash or feeling lonely, your parents are an amazing support network. I had to keep my pride in check when things got tough and I didn't want my parents to be disappointed with some bad choices I had made. However, when I broke down and told them everything, the first thing they said was, "Why didn't you come to us sooner?" So, my strongest, heartfelt advice is to trust your parents and communicate with them. Not only does it relieve stress, but it shows signs of maturity and readiness for the real world.

The more diversity that attends this campus the better. I don't believe anyone should discount Sonoma State for its weaknesses. The only kind of person that shouldn't attend SSU would be the same type of person who doesn't value their education. SSU cares about its students yet won't interfere with your plans for yourself. One can be as involved as they want. So perhaps a person who wants to be left alone should not attend here.

Ivan

My classmates are very young but determined and skillful.

My classmates are very young but determined and skillful.

Value your time in college and take it seriously. Always follow your heart.

The small class size and almost unlimted access to the professors.

Ryan

Don't worry about the name of the school, just go somewhere that feels right to you and makes sense. Every school offers a great education.

Nothing, I am completely satisfied with my decision to go to sonoma state. It is a great transition from any other institution and the school makes integrating into the school very easy.

William

Sonoma State is very environmentally friendly. There are great classes in each department. This school is very liberal. Some conservatives that attend here have said that this school is more liberal than Berkeley. I don't know if it is true but it very well could be. We are best known for the ratio of men to women. Sonoma State is made up of about 67% women. We also got rid of our footbal team so we could have even funding for female sports. Lastly our mascot was changed to seawolves from cossacks because of the negative ethnic conotation.

Finding the right college is not the most important choice that you will make. The most important choice is deciding that you need to learn what is being taught and not just studying for the tests. You are expected to know the information that you have studied and use that information in your career. One very important thing for choosing the right college is that you are compatible with the professors and other students on campus. You can find your major and then talk with a few of the professors and see how you interact with them. They are the key to your future. Making the most of your college experience is learning how to interact with other students and professors in your studies and in your social life. Learning how to be a productive member of society.

It is too liberal for me. The school is very focused on growing into a bigger school. It is build a ton of new dorms to get more students living on campus. It is a great small school and the school wants to grow from 8,500 to more than 12,000 students over the next few years. It is not too bad but it would be nice to have a small school still.

Angelica

I would say that you should try to visit the college first. Most students will look at the brochure and assume that is how the campus looks like when it is not always the case. Once you visit the school you can get an idea of what the campus is like, and if you could see yourself attending to that particular school. I have had people tell me that they choose their college by brochure only to realize it was not that way and that they wished they had not done so. Once you are in the college of your choice, I would say to take advantages of the many opportunities. Check what programs and clubs the school has and see if there is any that would interest you. That way you can easily find other students whom share the same interest as you. Lastly, I would say to be outgoing. If you are shy, try to put that behind you because that will only prevent you from meeting other people. In order to get the most out of college is to be involved. You wont get the college experiece being in your dorm or apartment. Get involved!

guys to girls ratio there are way to man=y girls and not guys and the fact that it could be more diverse

i am able to get my classes and they are not huge classes so the teacher actually get to know us, the students. it is not too expensive

Sonoma State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.