Rohnert Park, CA
Sonoma State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Sonoma State University

Ezrah

First and foremost you need to be comfortable. This may mean going to a smaller university, where you don't get lost, or a bigger campus, where you are presented with many activities. Four years is a long time to study in a place that you don't enjoy being. Those who do the best in college are the ones that are comfortable with their surroundings. Find what fits your preferences and situation, when you are able to do this your college experience is so much more robust. Once in the right college it is important that you stretch yourself. Try things that are new and challenging. This can mean taking a course that is outside of your field, or doing volunteer work. These will expand your horizons and may help you realize an affinity for something that you had never thought about before. College is an ideal time to discover or explore passions and interests; epistemology, the study of oneself, is the most rewarding. Though you will be challenged in the classroom, it is the many novel opportunities to challenge yourself outside the classroom that will make the most of your college.

I wish that i had know how supportive my teachers would be in my first semester. I only took 12units because I didn't know what to expect. I found that all my professors were very understanding that college is a new and, at first, daunting experience and really eased us in accordingly. If I would've known that I would have taken a full load and not had to take summer session to make up for it.

It is such a diverse school that almost anyone would love going here. It is outstanding in arts/humanities, social sciences, business, and hard sciences. The school is not too heavily slanted towards anyone field creates a great chance to meet people with diverse interests. SSU is ideal for students looking for strong connections with professors. When I graduated all of the professors knew my name and were happy to write me letters of reccomendation for law school, if that is what you are looking for SSU is the place for you.

Jack

Visit each school and make the choice by the classes they offer for what you want to do. Take your time making your choice

The ability to meet new people. Be accepted for who you are. The programs offered

chuck

They're more interested in their lives than the subject matter, so it interferes with seminaring when there are a bunch of anecdotes.

There is no right college. Everything in life is what you make it, of course, so it really depends on the reasons one would decide to go to an institute of higher education in the first place. So don't go to college because it seemes like the thing to do. There's a proliferation of information, you can get the same knowledge no matter where you are. As far as getting the most of the college experience, it's not importent to find a niche, a group of friends, the whole point is to meet as many new people as possible, get exposed to as much as possible. it's better than high school because you don't live with your parents, but a lot is the same. Same people with the same goals. So don't think by entering college you're getting youself into a cornicopia of brilliance and truth and beauty, it's nothing so sublime, it's life, and as I said, it's what you make it. College is chill.

I don't think it's just my school, but my generation, it's the content apathy. There's a don't know don't care vibration from the student body, it could be generational. It's also frustrating meeting dumb people who are in the same program as I am, because it makes me feel like the program isn't as good as it thinks it is.

Shannon

The people who never fit into the mold in high school.

The people who never fit into the mold in high school.

Visit the college, ask what it is known for and what students like about it. Pick somewhere that will benefit you acadmeically, but gives you a challenge in expereicning something new. Get to know the resources on campus, get involved and try new things, even if you think you may not like them. Don't be afraid to change your major, or even transfer if a college is really not right for you. Do an internship or get a job that will give you hands on expereicnce in your field. Make friends with people who are different from you to get intersting perspectives. Actually go to class. Ask for help when you need it, and find ways to keep yourself balanced and reduce stress. Make time for fun things. Understand all the requirements needed for your degree. Don;t stop learning once you graduate.

Many services are avalible to most services, but I have seen a few students get the run around and have been hindered rather than helped.

Evelyn

Choosing the right college is about knowing what you want and not what others want for you. Sometimes people are lured to a college by friends and family but that not be the reason. Size, financial aid, location, & major availability are some factors in selecting a college. Once these factors are specified and clarafied then it will make it easier to select a college. The experience is all about what YOU make it and, once again, should not be decided by anyone but YOU.

There aren't enough food places on campus.

Joshua

I would tell kids to stay away from the larger party schools. Too many kids choose a school where accessibility to alcohol is plentiful and the majority of them drops out or graduate with horror stories. We come to college to learn and quieter smaller schools offer a much better environment for study. Overall I would suggest a university rather than a state school because of classroom availability. The price may be as much as double but the teachers are more qualified and registration is easy. At my smaller school of 10,000 students, by the time my registration appointment arrives many of my classes have filled up and I am stuck taking last choice alternatives. Once in college i suggest living with random room mates. Living with friends always seems fun and a good idea but usually ends in disaster. When living with random people, room mates respect your space and possessions which ultimately leads to a less stressful living experience. Also, a student?s focus should be school so avoid pets. They seem cute and furry but only serve as gigantic distractions. Lastly, do not succumb to peer pressure; strive to be individual despite what the majority wants.

Straight edge, uber conservative, nazi toteing asshole.

If they want a smaller more nature oriented studying environment i suggest ssu. People up here are friendly and the school is very open to liberal arts. Hardcore conservatives should steer clear because they wont find a soul to agree with. Partying here is plentiful and small get togethers can be found but the bigger party schools are santa barbara and chico, definately not rohnert park.

Tate

I love the size of SSU. It's just right for me. I love the fact that I can sleep in 10 minutes till class and then jump out of bed and just walk to class and still make it in before the professor. When I tell people I go to SSU most reactions I get is "oh are you a viticulture major (wine making)?" That gets old after awhile. Something I don't like is when the SoCal kids knock on NorCal...HELLO!! You're going to school up here, you gotta adjust to us saying "hella" and "hyphy". It's cool that you're from SoCal but once up here, don't whine or complain, you CHOSE to come here, lol. Rohnert Park is a quiet little town, not meant to have a university in it. The town can't handle all 8,500 of us and the cops have nothing better to do but break up our parties with 5 squad cars, a k9 unit, 3 unmarked cars, and a SWAT van; this is a normal Saturday night break up force. The walk of shame out of a house with the cops lining the walk way with their flashlights doesn't phase me anymore, just a normal night out. One unusual thing about SSU is that we are in a very liberal county, and with that come some VERY interesting people. I'm not phased anymore by the 40+ year old lady who wears a tye-dye shirt with a wolf on the front, dreads, and reeks of B.O.

Most students at SSU are either from NorCal (Sacramento area, Bay Area, Stockton Area) or SoCal. You'd be surprised how many kids decide to come up here to SSU from SoCal. Hell, 18 from my graduating class alone came here to SSU...and we don't regret a thing!

SSU is great. I love it up here. I'm close to home if I want to head home but far enough away to the point where I can feel independent and live on my own. The location of SSU is great. We're nestled right up against Sonoma Mountain and the wineries are cool in the fall when they turn gold. The girl to guy ratio is amazing here, for every 1 guy there are 6 girls, who's gonna argue against that?!

Hell no! I can find on any night (between Thurs-Sat) some party or "gathering" to go to and have a blast at. It's all about networking!

The professors here really seem to care about their students. With the undergrad population being around 8,500, it's nice being a name and not just a number. Professors actually attempt to get to know you personally (in your upper-division classes). Lecture classes aren't anymore then 125 students which is small compared to schools like UCLA or Berkeley where their halls can hold 400 easily. It's funny though, on test days in lecture classes the halls fill and you see people you had no idea were in the class...since you're so used to seeing the same faces.

I'd say if you want to be involved in something at SSU and you're not athletically inclined, greek is the way to go. Once I went greek I networked with all of the other greek organizations and have made friends for life. Greeks are known on campus, especially with the small number of us; but we don't let that hinder us from making our presence known. If you're not in to the drinking/partying scene SSU provides alternatives to this. Every Saturday night the school hosts a movie night that shows a film still in theaters, and they're usually pretty good movies. Free pizza usually accompanies the free movie, it's pretty sweet. If you're awake at 2am you're doing one thing and one thing only...sitting on your Facebook account waiting, hoping, for someone to be awake and notice your latest picture comment, wall post, and bumper sticker you just sent them...it's sad but it's true. lol. How do you think I stumbled upon this? lol.

SSU kids don't know how to party. Thing is, people aren't looking in the right places or hanging out with the right crowd to find a worthy party of your Thursday-Saturday nightlife.

Sonoma State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.