Rohnert Park, CA
Sonoma State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Sonoma State University

Eric

To start off with Sonoma State University is a beautiful campus. The gorgeous landscape is noticeable as soon as you set foot on the school. Apart from having a great environment to be surronding us Sonoma State's academics are top notch. I am a business student and I can honestly say that i personally believe that Sonoma State Business is one of the best in the CSU system and is also the most popular major at Sonoma State University.

Intramural sports are definetely very popular. There is a vast amount of sports that a student can pick from. Intramural sports even has two leagues available, one for more competitive athletes, and another for people who just play for fun. About 15% of the student body is involved in Greek life. Joining a fraternity or sorrority is definetely a lot of fun and provides a lot activies and a great social group.

As I have mentioned before Sonoma State University is a very diverse campus with many different kinds of people. I feel that anyone would feel welcome at Sonoma State University. We have over 150 different clubs and organizations so there should be a place for everyone. If the student feels that there is not a club that completely fits what he/she is looking for then he/she can start there own club. All it takes to start a club is yourself four other students and an advisor.

Some of Sonoma State University's strongest majors are Business, Kinesiolgy, Biology, Environmental Studies and Planning, Human Development, Liberal Studies in Hutchins, Nursing and Psychology. The Nursing program is a great program that may be a little difficult to get into but is defintely worth it with its 100% passing rate on the Nursing test. Hutchins Liberal arts is a great program for people who would like to teach Kindergarden through fifth grade. The Hutchins Liberal arts program will get those students there teaching credential and bachelors degree in four years guaranteed. Business is currently the most popular major at Sonoma State University.

I strongly believe that we have a very diverse group of people here at Sonoma State University. For that reason there are no well known stereotypes about students at SSU. We have a lot of different kinds of people here both culturally and socially.

Rose

Sonoma State is a small campus where you feel at home. It is really easy to get involved and the small campus size allows students to have full access of diffrerent reasources offered on campus. Even though we are one of the smaller CSU campuses Sonoma State is still competitive in admissions and offers a variety of great programs. One thing that I would change about SSU would be the "college town" environment. Because our school is fairly new (est. 1960) we are working our way to form our own unique traditions on campus and aroudn the community.

The great thing about SSU is that professors are here to teach! Professors will definitely know your name and face and will take you and their jobs as professors seriously. You will have professors teaching ALL of you're lectures and you will never see a teacher assistant run a class room. Academics are very competitive at SSU and the students take it seriously. Students are encouraged to actively partcipate in class discussions and to take part in out of class learning experiences.

Sonoma State studenst are very relaxed and easy going.Students are friendly and you'll always see a smiling face throughout campus. A large number of our students are also involved with greek organizations, clubs or student government positions on campus.

There are two great things about Sonoma State; the dorms and the school population size. The dorms create such a comfortable atmosphere because they are practically brand new, spacious, and completely furnished. The other great aspect of SSU is the size! I love having such a tight- knit community rather than a huge student body. The students are enabled to have personal relationships with their teachers and recieve more one-on-one help with assignments and tutoring.

Assuming I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would emphasize being more fiscally responsible. For some people, money is a deciding factor when it comes to figuring out how one is going to pay for a college education. Everyone in America should know by now that college is not cheap, and if you can save money...DO IT! I have never been an impulsive spender, but I definitely could have saved money that I did not. If I would have known I would be where I am today, not receiving financial assistance from my father, I would have strongly encouraged saving money whenever possible. I played soccer all throughout high school year-round; therefore, I never really had a significant amount of time to dedicate to a job. My parents are divorced; I receive some financial help from my mom, but my dad was always the one telling me not to worry about money because he would make up for it. I learned a valuable lesson; to never depend on anyone else to support me.

You should go to Sonoma State if you like getting involved in leadership or school-related events. It seems to me as though a majority of people on this campus are very involved.

Aeryelle

Most of my classmates are really engaged, most likely because the teachers at Sonoma State University show us that they are extremely passionate with what they are teaching.

College has taught me a lot about independence and responsibility that I wouldn't have gotten if I stayed at home as opposed to living on campus. Living in dorms with other students has showed me that I am in charge of the next move I make. I wake up when I want to, and decide if I go to class or not, what to do tomorrow, etc. I don't have my parents there to make those everyday decisions for me, and I am ok with that because I needed to learn that on my own. Doing little things on my own like doing my own laundry and making my own dinner has also made me respect my parents so much more with everything they have done for me. College is not only about learning in class, but out of class as well.

I honestly wish there were stricter housing rules with quiet hours and alcohol use. Every night, I hear loud music and partying, which is somewhat expected, but it also seems a little ridiculous when it's wednesday night and students are trying to study. Although, I am also not trying to seem like the little victim here too. I do enjoy having fun at college parties, but I can wait until friday night.

Kasey

My classmates are kind-hearted, thoughtful, individuals who make up for their lack of scholastic abilities and ambition through their positive attitudes and absolute acceptance of others.

College has allowed me to find what truly interests me, and given me the chance to grow into a more complete person. On top of all of the scholastic achievements and assorted knowledge (and some trivia, too) I've learned more about myself and how I best function and fit into society. I am now more confident in my ability to apply for, and get, a job I will truly love, and that, in my opinion, makes all the papers, homework, and the inevitable all-nighters so very worth it.

The lack of commnity discussion of larger philosophical issues because, in my opinion, college should be about intellectual expansion and learning how to think critically, which I feel is lacking at Sonoma State University.

Cassie

This is where I found my purpose and my direction with my life because Sonoma State University gave me the opporunities and passion to succeed and find my career and future.

My name is Cassie Tsolis and I am in my second year at Sonoma State. My experience has continued to grow as I have become more involved with clubs on campus and community service events. This year I have become part of the leadership team for the Christian fellowship on campus and I have also continued to tutor the nearby elementary students with the program known as Study Buddies. These are just some of the various opportunities and ways Sonoma has enabled me to give back to our community on campus and within the community of Rohnert Park. As an EOP, Educational Opportunity Program, student I have found so much support and encouragement with my EOP advisors and services the program provides for first generation students and low income students. I have become much more driven to continue in my education because of the various opportunities Sonoma has provided me with that show me what I am passionate about. With a degree in psychology, my goal is to become a college counselor for low income students, just like me.

This school is a great school for any student who may want to explore many interests and various opportunities. If a student wanted to attend a large populated school and a school with a wide range of diversity this may not be there choice of school.

Than

I have learned that it is very important to further my education by attending college. There are many different avenues that you may choose to go down once you go to college and that excites me. You grow up thinking you want to be one thing but when a course advisor throws a book on the table and says take a look, new doors open. I believe that this has been valuable to me because when I entered college, I did it only because my mother asked me to do it for her. I never really wanted to attend but now I am very glad I chose to go. I have recieved many life long lessons from my college experience such as the importance of time management, note taking, and the ability to plan out my weeks to get done everything I need to get done. I believe that by furthering my education, I will be a better person both physically and mentally and this make me believe in a brighter future for not just myself but future generations that I will be a part of.

Khalaf

Attending American River college is the first step towards achieving my dream of becoming an electrical engineer. After completing my general education requirements, I plan to transfer to the University of California, Davis, where I will earn my Bachelor of Science degree. I chose this college because I am returning to school after a long break, and community college seemed like the best place to start my education. Here, I don't feel the pressure or competitiveness that University students have to go through. Unlike many university classes, community colleges like this one have smaller class sizes. So, the students are able to talk to their professors more often and have a better chance of finding mentors and building relationships that could help them in their future careers.

Marisela

It has a beautiful campus with relatively small class sizes. The atmosphere is good and it is usually quiet.

College allows you to get out of your comfort zone and meet people from different places and different walks of life. Not only that, I feel that it makes people more open minded and independent.

I wish I had known how little diversity the school has. Being both Mexican and African American, diversity is extremely important to me. I read an article saying that 85 percent of the students at Sonoma State are Caucasian.

Gloria

There is no diversity in my classmates; the majority are white/Anglo.

There is no diversity in my classmates; the majority are white/Anglo.

It's really close to home, and the mascot is a SeaWolf.

I have gotten experience out of my experience. In that experience, I have learned to be more patient,tolerant, and less of a procrastinator. College has opened my mind to a range of topics ranging from dinosaurs to women's rights. This has helped me be more of an open minded person with a lot more common sense. This is all valuable because this all going to help me in the longrun. The world is ever-changing and to be able to cope with new conflicts and to be able to resolve them , the world needs people that are ready and prepared to face unprecendented challenges.

Sonoma State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.