Rohnert Park, CA
Sonoma State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Sonoma State University

Pamla

I would have stayed in college and become a teacher right after high school.

I would have stayed in college and become a teacher right after high school.

students at satellige campuses pay for activities and facilities, but cannot enjoy them, as they are located at the main campus.

lack of choice of classes... and computer glitches on registration

Eric

I love sonoma state for its small population, clean and beautiful campus, and the people. I dislike that the relationship between the town and college is poor and does not incorporate Greek Life.

Greek Life makes up about 16% of the campus. Many other students are involved in sports clubs, etc. Students have a great community life within their dorms as well.

Every school is going to have various groups of people. Most often seen at SSU are typical norcal people.

Professors get to know you, student to teacher ratio is small, students often use resources like the library, and many graduates are often successful in finding jobs.

Everyone is white. A high percentage of people are white, but SSU makes up for the diversity groups and programs they put on.

Ismael

Sonoma State is a school where academics, campus life, and a calm environment clash to provide students with an exceptional education. Sonoma State is a hidden gem that must be seen in order to be believed.

There is so much to do in Sonoma County its imposible to name them all. If you can think it, its either near or on Sonoma States campus.

Sonoma has a wide range of students from many different backgrounds. A Sonoma State state student could never be generalized into a certain category.

Courses at Sonoma State are challenging yet not impossible. Sonoma state offers real supportive staff focused on making sure you graduate and develop as a person to help you acheive your academic potential.

Sonoma State has so many people with different backgounds and personalities, it would be impossible to generalize the entire student body into one or two categories.

Eric

To start off with Sonoma State University is a beautiful campus. The gorgeous landscape is noticeable as soon as you set foot on the school. Apart from having a great environment to be surronding us Sonoma State's academics are top notch. I am a business student and I can honestly say that i personally believe that Sonoma State Business is one of the best in the CSU system and is also the most popular major at Sonoma State University.

Intramural sports are definetely very popular. There is a vast amount of sports that a student can pick from. Intramural sports even has two leagues available, one for more competitive athletes, and another for people who just play for fun. About 15% of the student body is involved in Greek life. Joining a fraternity or sorrority is definetely a lot of fun and provides a lot activies and a great social group.

As I have mentioned before Sonoma State University is a very diverse campus with many different kinds of people. I feel that anyone would feel welcome at Sonoma State University. We have over 150 different clubs and organizations so there should be a place for everyone. If the student feels that there is not a club that completely fits what he/she is looking for then he/she can start there own club. All it takes to start a club is yourself four other students and an advisor.

Some of Sonoma State University's strongest majors are Business, Kinesiolgy, Biology, Environmental Studies and Planning, Human Development, Liberal Studies in Hutchins, Nursing and Psychology. The Nursing program is a great program that may be a little difficult to get into but is defintely worth it with its 100% passing rate on the Nursing test. Hutchins Liberal arts is a great program for people who would like to teach Kindergarden through fifth grade. The Hutchins Liberal arts program will get those students there teaching credential and bachelors degree in four years guaranteed. Business is currently the most popular major at Sonoma State University.

I strongly believe that we have a very diverse group of people here at Sonoma State University. For that reason there are no well known stereotypes about students at SSU. We have a lot of different kinds of people here both culturally and socially.

Rose

Sonoma State is a small campus where you feel at home. It is really easy to get involved and the small campus size allows students to have full access of diffrerent reasources offered on campus. Even though we are one of the smaller CSU campuses Sonoma State is still competitive in admissions and offers a variety of great programs. One thing that I would change about SSU would be the "college town" environment. Because our school is fairly new (est. 1960) we are working our way to form our own unique traditions on campus and aroudn the community.

The great thing about SSU is that professors are here to teach! Professors will definitely know your name and face and will take you and their jobs as professors seriously. You will have professors teaching ALL of you're lectures and you will never see a teacher assistant run a class room. Academics are very competitive at SSU and the students take it seriously. Students are encouraged to actively partcipate in class discussions and to take part in out of class learning experiences.

Sonoma State studenst are very relaxed and easy going.Students are friendly and you'll always see a smiling face throughout campus. A large number of our students are also involved with greek organizations, clubs or student government positions on campus.

Assuming I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would emphasize being more fiscally responsible. For some people, money is a deciding factor when it comes to figuring out how one is going to pay for a college education. Everyone in America should know by now that college is not cheap, and if you can save money...DO IT! I have never been an impulsive spender, but I definitely could have saved money that I did not. If I would have known I would be where I am today, not receiving financial assistance from my father, I would have strongly encouraged saving money whenever possible. I played soccer all throughout high school year-round; therefore, I never really had a significant amount of time to dedicate to a job. My parents are divorced; I receive some financial help from my mom, but my dad was always the one telling me not to worry about money because he would make up for it. I learned a valuable lesson; to never depend on anyone else to support me.

There are two great things about Sonoma State; the dorms and the school population size. The dorms create such a comfortable atmosphere because they are practically brand new, spacious, and completely furnished. The other great aspect of SSU is the size! I love having such a tight- knit community rather than a huge student body. The students are enabled to have personal relationships with their teachers and recieve more one-on-one help with assignments and tutoring.

You should go to Sonoma State if you like getting involved in leadership or school-related events. It seems to me as though a majority of people on this campus are very involved.

Aeryelle

Most of my classmates are really engaged, most likely because the teachers at Sonoma State University show us that they are extremely passionate with what they are teaching.

College has taught me a lot about independence and responsibility that I wouldn't have gotten if I stayed at home as opposed to living on campus. Living in dorms with other students has showed me that I am in charge of the next move I make. I wake up when I want to, and decide if I go to class or not, what to do tomorrow, etc. I don't have my parents there to make those everyday decisions for me, and I am ok with that because I needed to learn that on my own. Doing little things on my own like doing my own laundry and making my own dinner has also made me respect my parents so much more with everything they have done for me. College is not only about learning in class, but out of class as well.

I honestly wish there were stricter housing rules with quiet hours and alcohol use. Every night, I hear loud music and partying, which is somewhat expected, but it also seems a little ridiculous when it's wednesday night and students are trying to study. Although, I am also not trying to seem like the little victim here too. I do enjoy having fun at college parties, but I can wait until friday night.

Kasey

My classmates are kind-hearted, thoughtful, individuals who make up for their lack of scholastic abilities and ambition through their positive attitudes and absolute acceptance of others.

College has allowed me to find what truly interests me, and given me the chance to grow into a more complete person. On top of all of the scholastic achievements and assorted knowledge (and some trivia, too) I've learned more about myself and how I best function and fit into society. I am now more confident in my ability to apply for, and get, a job I will truly love, and that, in my opinion, makes all the papers, homework, and the inevitable all-nighters so very worth it.

The lack of commnity discussion of larger philosophical issues because, in my opinion, college should be about intellectual expansion and learning how to think critically, which I feel is lacking at Sonoma State University.

Cassie

This is where I found my purpose and my direction with my life because Sonoma State University gave me the opporunities and passion to succeed and find my career and future.

My name is Cassie Tsolis and I am in my second year at Sonoma State. My experience has continued to grow as I have become more involved with clubs on campus and community service events. This year I have become part of the leadership team for the Christian fellowship on campus and I have also continued to tutor the nearby elementary students with the program known as Study Buddies. These are just some of the various opportunities and ways Sonoma has enabled me to give back to our community on campus and within the community of Rohnert Park. As an EOP, Educational Opportunity Program, student I have found so much support and encouragement with my EOP advisors and services the program provides for first generation students and low income students. I have become much more driven to continue in my education because of the various opportunities Sonoma has provided me with that show me what I am passionate about. With a degree in psychology, my goal is to become a college counselor for low income students, just like me.

This school is a great school for any student who may want to explore many interests and various opportunities. If a student wanted to attend a large populated school and a school with a wide range of diversity this may not be there choice of school.

Sonoma State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.