Sonoma State University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Sonoma State University

Briana

I truly love my school. The first two years on campus were difficult for me to adapt to all of my surroundings, but now that I am finishing my third year, I have found and created for myself so many safe spaces on campus. The biggest downfall for me is the fact that the diversity on this campus is excruciatingly low. Sonoma State is the whitest CSU, but there are communities on campus that are striving to fix this and get become more of an inclusive campus. Nevertheless, I will forever feel blessed that I chose to attend Sonoma State and would not be the woman I am today without being here at this university.

Kasey

The campus is absolutely beautiful. There are a huge variety of clubs and activities to partake in on campus, you just have to be actively involved to have a good experience. There are plenty of shops and towns to explore nearby. One perk if you are 21 years of age is the beautiful wine country nearby. There are also many activities within driving distance, such as Bodega Bay or San Fransisco. The campus is fairly small but not too small, to the point where you usually recognize at least one face while walking to class. I've had my fair share of great and not-so-great professors. The biggest complaint would have to be the lack of classes available when you register. I personally haven't had a problem getting my classes but I've had many friends who haven't gotten the class schedules they wanted or needed. I'm going into my fourth year here at Sonoma State University, and I would definitely recommend this college to others.

Diana

The atmosphere on campus is also lively, and the community is small and close. It's hard to walk around campus and not see someone you know, which for me isn't such a bad thing. I don't feel like I'm drowning in a mass of unknown students. The school offers a variety of activities to do on and off campus and endeavors to make all students feel welcome. The dorms are fantastic, large and well furnished (furniture and appliances). Campus is on the small-medium size but beautiful, especially during fall. The buildings on campus are all within a good range of each other and have good facilities. There isn't that much on campus food options as other larger universities but it's spread out. The food itself is mostly great. It's hard to do things off campus--like grocery shopping--if you don't have a car, know someone who has a car, or accommodate yourself with the public transportation. We're surrounded by stuff to do even if the campus isn't inside a large city. Overall, I'm pleased with going here and all my experiences so far.

Emma

It's not worth the investment. There are very limited class options, the good professors are few and far between, and faculty talks a big game about being there to help, but you're really on your own. The surrounding area is really expensive, but it's not in the heart of Wine Country like you might assume. If you have a car you can drive out to the nicer parts of the county, but you'd be better off visiting than actually attending. The average graduation rate is 5+ years because they make everything excessively difficult. Please carefully consider your other options before you choose SSU. I transferred here and it was the worst choice I ever made.

Makena

If you were to walk onto Sonoma State University’s campus, you would feel at peace. The grass is green and the trees are tall and vast. There is a very calming atmosphere created by the environment, location and seclusion of the campus. The staff members and faculty truly care about ensuring that each student has a satisfying experience while on campus. Students are friendly and kind to each other. We also unite to fight for causes such as March 2018’s March For Life, to protest gun violence at schools across the country. The dorms are amazing, spacious and students are generally very happy and gracious about on-campus housing. There is an opportunity for students to pursue their interests, and have fun while doing so with so many events like live concerts, comedy shows, and important discussions happening on campus. Each freshman is also paired with a peer mentor. A peer mentor is an older student who can provide academic advice and help, but also be there if that student is struggling in any other areas. The location is amazing because the wonderful San Francisco Bay is only about an hour away, and so is the Northern California coast! This allows for students and their friends to take fun getaway trips. Another amazing resource that students have is the Seawolf Plaza, this is where students can dine, study, work out or just socialize. In the Seawolf Plaza,​ there is a recreation center, coffee shop, pub, cafeteria and a huge area for students to read, study, and relax.

Irene

It is a great school with some very happy and friendly students. The campus is beautiful and there is so much to get involved in! Living in the dorms is a great option for first time freshmen! The town near by is small but there is everything you need and a short drive away you have great places where to hike, eat, there is the big Santa Rosa mall.

Alisse

I love the campus, the teachers that I have had, and the location is convenient I have had a difficult time getting counseling guidance for my college future plans as well as appropriate class schedules to ensure optimal time at the school and rapid graduation.

Garvey

Sonoma State University is quiet little school. There is not much to do and never a whole lot going on at the campus. Many students commute. Often times, it is possible to walk though campus in the middle of the day and see barely any people. Many of the students here wish to transfer. Then again, Sonoma State has a truly beautiful campus. There are lakes in the middle of campus and a world class music facility where there many famous musicians perform.

Vanessa

Sonoma State University is a beautiful campus filled with open minded and friendly people. The professors are approachable and the resources they offer are generally easy to access. Also, the food is really great, there are always options for everyone. There are sections that serve pizza, hamburgers, and some that feature food from around the world. Most of all, the housing is very nice. In some dorms you get your own bathroom and kitchen and it's really spacious. The housing feels more like a house than a college dorm. I love it!

Yatziri

The CSU system's hidden secret! :)

Bryant

It's a nice environment and very comfortable setting. Most of the staff show care as they profess their knowledge to us students. The school is small which makes it easy to get around and helps make a lot of resources accessible. The best part of the school is the rural surroundings.

Robert

Overall, SSU is a great school. There are many opportunities for students to do well. The location is great because it is 1 hour North from San Francisco which is close but not too close. The cafeteria is awesome. It is a tight knit community that is positively developing. Sci. 120 class is the best for learning field trips and hands on research experience. Atmosphere is good. Avoid marijuana, it is rampant. Students show up to class wanting to learn which is nice and a good educational environment.

Heather

I love it here ! The main reason I came was for the scenery. There are multiple lakes on campus with fountains. The dorms are great too my sophomore year I was in a single condo on campus with my own room, my own bathroom, cable and a full kitchen!

Aliece

Sonoma State University on the outside and inside is a beautiful campus. Everything is close knit; and for a student who wants a small school. As for available and diverse classes, it lacks. The options for classes aren't as vast as other Universities or State Universities.

Nancy

Sonoma State University is a great university. I have received an excellent education as a Family Nurse Practitioner Student. My professors have been very supportive, the campus has great resources, my fellow students are really friendly, and the cost is very reasonable. I have been so impressed with the supportiveness and responsiveness of all of my professors. Although my classes have many online activities, they are always available to meet with students, and they respond right away to emails. They are also very knowledgeable in the course content. The campus has a great design with modern buildings, a great student center, places to eat, and lots of parking. I really enjoy spending time on campus. I have also enjoyed interacting with my fellow students at SSU. The student body is very friendly, and I have made some lasting friends there. I have never had any negative interactions with any fellow students. Finally, I find the cost for my Family Nurse Practitioner Certification program very reasonable. I am receiving a high quality education that costs less than many private or UC system universities. My degree is truly a great value. In summary, I highly recommend Sonoma State University. The faculty, campus, student body, and value here are excellent. I am so glad I enrolled here, and I believe any future students would be happy here as well.

Hailey

I love Sonoma State so far. Although there isn't much to do in the surrounding area there is a lot of opportunities within the school and friends are easily made here. I would agree that although the food is very tasty here, there isn't a lot of variety when it comes the meal time, but the food isn't the point of the school, learning is. The professors and community is so very supportive and willing to help you reach your goals wether that be to graduate in for years or to find your home at the school. It may just be my freshman year at SSU, but I already know that I will always call myself a Seawolf.

Kayla Noelani

Overall, it is a very small, but inclusive school. Since it is so small it is very intimate and it is easy to make new friends since you see the same people walking around all the time. Though when it comes to academics, there aren't very many teachers which limits the amount of classes and students that are in each class, which makes it harder for some students to get the classes they need. Though it is a great school, with such beautiful scenery.

Lizbeth

Sonoma State is one of the places I feel safe and I feel like I'm at home. It offers many great opportunity and everyone is welcoming and everyone is polite. Professors go beyond than teaching but to connect to students and go more in depth. My overall rating is a five out of five and would recommend this to anyone pursuing a Business degree.

Sorena

I love that the campus is very small and intimate. None of my classes are too far apart and everyone is so friendly. Many of my classes are have less than 20 people, so you really get to know your classmates well. The professors are always willing to help with what they can, and many students just call them by their first names. I always feel safe walking around.

SSU is a great campus if you like a smaller atmosphere and appreciate the outdoors. I loved my time there. Pros: It is a beauiful campus. Everywhere you look,its green. There are trails to walk to destress from school and have plenty of hideaway spots. Since classes are smaller, you have a great opportunity to get to know your professors and class mates. Cons: There is a lack of diversity on campus. However there are many clubs to join to meet people you have things in common with. All in all SSU is a great campus and has a welcoming atmosophere. Go Seawolves!

Alexis

Sonoma State is an isolated school due to the housing similar to apartment structures. The academic process is difficult due to the classes being reserved or impacted. In addition, to there being a lack of diversity with 60% of the school being Caucasian girls.

Sonoma state is a good school if you enjoy a lot of 1 on 1 time with your professors. The campus is beautiful but there isn't too much you can do close by. It's a small school of 9,000 students but there's not too much diversity on campus. I enjoy going to this school because of the small size and the on campus housing is great.

Qaiyah

I think it’s an amazing school for someone who doesn’t want to go to a big, crowded college, and one that doesn’t necessarily mind being out in what can be considered as “the country”. It’s about forty-five minutes to an hour away from both Oakland/Berkeley and San Francisco. It’s academic activities are incredible and provide many options for students who know what they want to do, and personal counselors to help if they don’t. It’s a very safe school, and it’s just easy to love it there. I’m really excited to attend in the fall!

Arianna

Sonoma State was my top choice because I wanted to be close to home but still be out on my own. I have had a rocky start due to trying to get into a sorority that hazed me but have joined Alpha Omicron Pi and have loved everyone in it! I am also a Peer Mentor that helps freshmen get used to the campus and I am basically a big resource for them to succeed on campus. I haven't had too many problems with professors and most have done everything they can to help you succeed. If you can take the Dinosaur class because it was the most fun class I probably will ever take in my life and a nice break from the more serious classes. The city itself is kind of boring and definitely would not live here after college and it's definitely not a party school. It's not diverse at all but I feel as though it is trying to get better but there is room for improvement. Overall a wonderful campus and a relaxing atmosphere once you arrive!

Brooklynn

Overall, I enjoy SSU. I chose this campus for its small size and great location. I was not expecting a wild college experience, and therefore I have not been too disappointed. Greek life is a massive part of campus culture, but I am not affiliated with Greek life and I feel like a total outcast. If you're not Greek at SSU, you're shunned a bit. There is a massive rift between students who are Greek and who are not. The rift is breached occasionally, but not too often. Aside from Greek life, campus is absolutely gorgeous and small classes make for ideal learning environments. I do like SSU, but I do not suggest it for students who are looking for the traditional college experience. Our community is just too small to support that culture. The key to Sonoma State is community. Get involved in every way you can. It can definitely be a miserable campus if you don't get involved in something, and while it is hard to track down clubs, they are out there. Another great way to get involved is to find a job off-campus or a group that is more involved in off-campus activities. Sonoma county and the surrounding areas offer so much and can dramatically impact a students overall experience at Sonoma State.

Imani

Sonoma State is a great school for those who want to get away, and do well in clean, calm environment. Its not a school big on sports (no football team), but there are plenty of clubs and exciting things to get involved in, you just have to venture out and look. Also the school is not that diverse, but they are slowly but surely working on that.

joe

woefully inept administration. always seem to find a way to screw you over. certain faculty are delusional both in and out of the classroom. stay away. you'll save yourself a lot of money that would otherwise be spent on blood pressure medication.

Alaynea

Overall I love it here at Sonoma state! The dorms on campus are amazing and spacious, the professors and students here are very kind and are very involved. The campus is beautiful and peaceful, with the beach and redwoods about 40 mins away. There's always something to see or do here, I love calling this place my home.

Sonoma State has the small college feel. Classes are easy for the most part and the campus is beautiful. On campus housing is one of the main reasons I chose Sonoma State University. There isn't much to do directly around Sonoma State but San Francisco is just a 45 minute drive away!

Lena

I love Sonoma State. The academics are pretty good and I like the environment and the atmosphere. The people are nice and the campus is beautiful. The surrounding area is suburban, which I like a lot, and there are plenty of places to go and get food and shop in the local area.

Vanesa

Sonoma state is a very safe and diverse campus. There are many clubs and orginizations that are available to students who wants to participate or join. Many students have access to many places on campus. The only down side about the shcool is the housing, when it comes to a serious situatuion they don't handle it as soon as possible they take up to 2 months for the situation to be handle.

Natalie

I like it overall. But I also have never attended another college so I can't compare well. It was a bit difficult for me to make friends, but that might have just been me. The dorms are suite-style rather than large buildings with many floors, which could be a good thing or bad depending on what you're into. Also not many options to buy food on campus.

Jasmine

Sonoma State has always been a dream college for me and I love every minute of it. The students are so welcoming and I love how somethings are so close students can walk to hang out. The classes are small, but easy to get closer to students and make new friends.

Melissa

The importance on campus is focused on outside activities rather than academics. Greek life is extremely important on this campus in order to feel involved which is extremely sad. On every campus, there is a psychological program available but ours is inaccessible due to the 2200 students to 1 counsellor ratio. Furthermore, if you want classes, forget about it. You will be waitlisted for almost every single one of your classes because there isn't enough money for them but there sure is enough money to hire more programming advisors and positions. Need somewhere to live so you don't have to commute 20 minutes to school? Forget about it! There is such limited housing that many students are forced to transfer away from the school. This school is going through a transition period since there is a new president and is focused more on administration than the 10,000 students on the campus or the lack of diversity. Overall, this school is a mess right now but tune in later to see if they actually get their stuff together.

Maribel

Sonoma State is beautiful, amazing dorms, amazing staff. The people are really friendly, class sizes are generally small, even big lectures are generally pretty small compared to other universities. Transportation is never an issue, same with making friends. Average university costs.

Sean

I am currently a sophomore at Sonoma State have enjoyed my experience so far at the school. Lots of activities and nice people to meet. Professors most very helpful. I currently play soccer for a club team and have enjoyed it. I have also participated in kick boxing to stay active and fit during off season from soccer. Over all my experience has been good.

Sonoma State may not be show diversity but it feels like home, just expanded with people from different places. There are plenty things to do on and off campus, never a day where nothing is happening, involvement is crucial and available to accessible. The Sonoma Aroma is the bad part of living on campus, the do a very good job with security and safety on campus.

Marlene

Absolutely fell in love with the campus the moment I stepped on and I could be happier to call it my home for the next 4 years. Everyone is so welcoming and amazing and I can’t wait to be apart of this amazing community. Sonoma state has something for everyone and I 100% recommend this school to everyone.

Claudia

Sonoma State offers beautiful, nationally ranked campus housing. Their campus has many hidden mystery spots perfect for reading or relaxing. Students love to use are brand new recreational center and our pools. Sonoma State may stand high on the campus pedestal but it does not lack when it comes to academics. After three years studying Biology here at Sonoma State I've learned how competitive it can be. Our professors come from prestigious schools and are always willing to lend a hand to a student in need.

Jane

Its just okay so far. I'm here for graduate school and I love my cohort and the instructors in my program, but campus life isn't very exciting. The campus is beautiful and the weather is nice, but I don't feel as though the students have a community.

Eloisa

A small school with an inclusive vibe. If you don't like large classes and want your professor to know you personally go to Sonoma State. The facility is there to help you and there is plenty of out-of-class help to make sure you succeed and preform you very best.

Ruby

My overall opinion of Sonoma State University is that it has become as second home to me. The people are wonderful and open-minded. My friends are very supportive, and are always encouraging me to attempt everything and anything. Also, the campus is absolutely mesmerizing.

Adam

Good for academically focused students! Not too many sports teams to be completely 110% honest. Mostly recreational or club/intramural teams. The only competitive teams are for soccer and lacrosse I believe. Great support and resources for minority students. However, not a lot of presence of minority students themselves. Majority of the student body is composed of middle class white folk (no disrespect of course). Not many party scenes either. At least not that I'm aware of since I keep to myself due to my rational fear of being taken advantage of or peer pressured into something I don't want to do. Regardless, small campus, great folks once you find 'em!

Yessenia

Sonoma State University has a great variety of undergraduate and graduate-level programs. The student to professor ratio is low, which is amazing because it allows for students to connect with their peers and professors. Having had the privilege to attend this institution, I came across so many amazing student resources and programs. There just needs to be more diversity on campus but they have improved over the past few years.

I really enjoyed my time at Sonoma State; however, I was slightly older than a lot of my classmates. I think if I were younger and wanted to do the whole Greek life, I would be disappointed in comparison to somewhere like UC, Berkeley. I really liked my department, the Anthropology Department. I thought my teachers were really helpful and supportive for the most part. I do wish we would have taken more courses on laws and regulation as I know that these courses are only offered for graduate students. One thing that I think we need much more improving on is our food quality. The cafeteria was horrible in terms of quality- good things, but not locally sourced or fresh.

Daniella

I have lived in Sonoma County my whole life, and spent much of my time growing up visiting the campus and it's scenery, that being said, it is a beautiful place to learn. As a transfer student I have been pleasantly surprised with the reasonable class sizes. Accessing and contacting my professors has never been a problem for me, which is something that is incredibly important for college students. Sonoma may have several thousand students however it never ceases to feel like a small homey campus, which for people who may not be from here, may be what they need to feel welcomed and at home in their new college career. Overall Sonoma provides an open academic learning space where students do not need to fear voicing their feelings and opinions, or asking questions in class, and you do feel a part of a community.

Briana

It’s a pretty nice school. It’s not something that wows me, but not disappointing either. Walkable campus, great professors, the schools pretty alright. It’s in a location that’s far from the Bay Area nightlife, but it’s a drivable distance to San Francisco.

Jamie

Sonoma State is quite diverse with many friendly people and professors. So far the professors I've had are really there to help their students all that they can. Most of them can be reached during their office hours only, but reaching them by email is pretty efficient as well. The only downside I have is that all freshman students are required to purchase the school's meal plan, which is not worth the money since the food is not very good. But, it is efficient when it comes to a quick meal for the day and night. The campus itself is pretty clean and there are many events that happen throughout the semester that are interesting that students can access.

Rosalie

I believe Sonoma State University is like the college version of a showroom in IKEA. Everything is organized and keeps within the aesthetic, and visitors have delight in seeing the beauty and history of the college. Sonoma State has many job opportunities on campus, which is also a great thing for students who need assistance with finance.

Annalise

As a current freshman Sonoma State is just okay. It is a good choice if you live in Sonoma County because commuting is not a hassle. However the dorms are just dorms but I hear around there is a LOT of need for maintenance. Big complaint is that roommate pairing is terrible. You don't have a questionaire nor when I got my room, my other roommate did not show up until I moved in. The cafeteria seems nice at first but the food is okay, but not great or terrible. I try not to go there very often. Across the street there's a plaza full of good options to go to instead. The campus is fairly small but don't underestimate your distance time. Classes are okay and most of the time there is apopulation below 100, not even 30 kids sometimes in halls. There's barely any pride or sports stuff that's worth going to. No frats or sorority houses. They're there, but there is no physical housing. Just one of those go in, get degree, get out things.