South Carolina State University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for South Carolina State University

Destinee

I love it !It was the best school I have ever been to. The teachers and faculty are all so caring and willingly to help with any and everything. The professors are very personal, and always there for their students. Most professors will give out their personal numbers to help out. It's a very great school!

Cadra

South Carolina state is different from the rest. I feel like we're kinda looked down on due to some of the past fault we've had with budget cuts and debt . I really understand the true reason why we are here. I understand the fact that this won't be an easy milestone to get over . But trust we will get there with the help of unigo !

jordan

As a young woman attending her first year at college, I do not know what to expect. Absolutely, wondering if the teachers were going to be difficult or easy. Knowing the fact that I will not know the people is going to be weird for me. Definitely will not be the most comfortable of the class anymore so I have to get used to being the around new people. Certainly, I was not sure if I was ready for college, but I knew if I give all my effort I will make it. In addition, I do not have any choice, but to prepare myself for college. At first, I was scared and I did not even show up the first day because I was stuck in a situation that day, but I show up to the next class. As I arrived to the classroom everyone just stared, but did not say hello. Usually when I walk into a room I do not say anything until someone say something to me because first impression is everything. However, I am new to them so I was hoping no one would disrespect me. Afterwards I thought we was going to have a lot of work because I heard they give more work in college. First class was sociology and this had to be the most boring class I ever had. He trapped me at first saying we were going to interact in groups and do projects. He will ask us to hand-written papers and he run his mouth about stuff that is irrelevant. His name is Mr. Selvam and I knew he was going to be a foreign teacher when I saw that name on my roster. I dread going to his class every morning because he is not interesting. I see why most of my class mates do not show up. This is my least favorite class I ever took. Hopefully, I do not have more boring teachers like him as the years go by. Second class which is my favorite is University 101. I like this class because Ms. Bruce is a very helpful teacher and just wants the best for us. She plays that motherly role just like Ms. Wright, my other favorite teacher. I am so happy she gave us a second chance her because I did not know I was failing her class miserably. It is understandable that we are going to mess up plus it is our first year. We still have to get use to the fact that we not high school seniors running the school. I enjoyed Ms. Wright so much I decided to register for her class again next semester. Third of all, calculus, the hardest math class I ever took. I do not understand anything in there because it is taught by a foreign teacher. Most foreign teachers do not break it down good enough for us because they expect you to catch on so fast. I feel black teachers teach math better because they explain it until everyone gets it. Most children do not like math because it is confusing and it is always accurate. You have to follow the steps the correct way to get the right answer. Unfortunately, I major in business so I have much harder math classes to take to earn my degree. Indeed, in college I have improved my writing skills, character, and time management. Also, realize that my parents expect the best of me because they are always concern about how I am doing in the class. Absolutely, I had my doubts; I know I will do well in college because I had some experience and help of my teachers. Even though I wish students would have been friendlier than I expected, but I know I will not see them again so it did not bother me that much. Therefore, I have enjoyed my first year at South Carolina State University and I look forward to other years getting better.

Kamil

South Carolina State is a great institution that I enjoy attending. Since transferring to this school I have enjoyed my college experience a little more. The classes are very commutative our professors organize great sessions that help us pass the class. The school has such a great vibe that you enjoy being on campus more than being in your dorm sleep. All the students of SCSU enjoy their HBCU to the fullest.

Desirae

South Carolina State University is a diverse campus that is not to big in size. You can get know other student as well you professors on a a personal level. There are many campus activities and organizations that allow students to branch out with peers while also staying out of trouble. Overall South Carolina State University is a great college and i love attending there.

Briajha

I love this school. So glad i chose south carolina state university. The only thing that can be a hassel is financial aid, They never answer the phones. There is always something going on on and off campus. As long as the student gets involved, they should love their experience.

Eddie

Make the experience for our students more enjoyable! Teachers need to make more time for the students considering we are the ones paying them. Campus living needs to be improved! Get rid of all mold and renovate bathrooms in dorm halls! GET RID OF COMMUNITY BATHROOMS, or at least better them! Make campus life better! Make kids want to be involved!

Overall my opinion of South Carolina Sate University is truly remarkable I enjoyed my time there for the first semester. Although it was a big culture change I was pleased with me HBCU choice. I learned a lot, got along with all my professors and made life long friends. I'm excited to be attending for a second semester to continue the journey of obtaining my degree.

Treshawn

i like the university. the main reason i say i like it is because on my friends. my friend since 6th grade goes here and we are roommates. we do a lot of things together. but other than that i don't really like south Carolina state that much. you have nothing to do on campus. there are no other places to go besides the 3 restaurants by the campus. there is no where to go to for activities on or around campus. the financial aid office does not help you get any more financial help to pay your tuition and fees. overall i do not like south Carolina state university

Deja

This is my first semester at Sc State University, it is a great learning environment with great professors. The professors are willing to help inside the classrooms and also outside the classroom. The students are very welcoming and are willing to help if you are new to campus or are stopping them for just a chat. The dorms on campus are really nice. The food is the only thing I complain about on campus because they need to have better choices for the students. During the weekend some students go back home because there isn't much to do but usually there are activities on campus during the weekend. Sports is big on campus like Basketball season and Football season, everyone goes to each game to support the team and the marching band (Marching 101). I have been told that Sc State is really a family orientated campus, when i came here i didn't believe it, but when i walked on campus and went to every event, it really felt like everyone was family. I love my HBCU!

Shamar

I was basically forced to go to this college because my mother wanted me to stay close to home, so understandably I wasn't too happy about that. The financial aid office was horrendous because before I even set foot here on move in day I wasn't even sure if I was going to be able to attend college this fall. Most of the people I've met here have been pretty cool, but I smell weed pretty much every day somewhere on campus. I would've forgiven all of that if they had Meteorology here as a major, but because they don't there's an increasing likelihood that I'm going to transfer to another HBCU that offers that major next fall.

sasha

south Carolina state is a good school.

Maysia

South Carolina State University is an amazing historical black university that is really close to home for me.

erika

Well, South Carolina state university is an great amazing place to be. The university gives you a big family feel. Want a belly rubbing good place to eat from, well go to the pit on campus. They have different choices besides the café. If your thinking about attending South Carolina State university , I say go for it! I don't regret it one bit. They will love to have you as apart of their bulldog family. I AM PROUD TO BE A SOUTH CAROLINA STATE BULLDOG! GO BIG BLUE!

Xoviyeik

The on campus and off campus activities are very enjoyable and entertaining and the professors and faculty are always doing their job. Great university

Kiasha

South Carolina State University is an excellence school to attend. My first year at the university was a great learning experience. I was introduced to so much things, such as the Greek life, different people from different cultures, and different components from my major which is computer science. Navigating through the campus was a breeze for me because they were students there to help if you weren’t sure on how to get to your location. My dorm wasn’t the best-looking room but me and my roommate made it work. My first semester the campus always had something for the student outside. It was either a meltdown or some type of activities. For example, they had Greek shows for students to go see and, theme parties to attend. Staff and faculties were great, my professors were always there when you needed them. My professor was easy to find on the campus. One downfall the South Carolina State has is that the Wi-Fi sucked, there were always something wrong the connection. The courses that I was taking were difficult but the school provides free tutoring and I took advantage of that opportunity. South Carolina State University was very historic they make all freshmen to take a class about the university the course is about the history of the campus. Overall I think the school is a good school to attend and it’s a HBCU and that’s a big bonus for me. I love my HBCU and I will continue my education at South Carolina State University.

Shamel

My overall opinion of South Carolina State University is the school is a very great school not only cause of the great alumnus we have that are giving back to the school. Campus life is great their is a various range of opportunities to get active on campus. The professor are always available whenever you need help.

Theren

All in all, I think SCSU is a very nice university. The atmosphere is very welcoming and everyone is friendly. Everyone keeps their minds in the books , yet we love to party. I would recommend SCSU to anyone . Although, the food can be a bit better and campus could be more modernized .

Lenaire

I enjoy the university

Centerrion

I love going to a HCBU. Everyone on campus is very friendly. There are many activities that one can join. You can play sports, join a Greek life, or even be apart of social groups. Even though this is a black school, we can compete with schools that are PWI.

d'arryl

As a proud Bulldog, I want to first say that I love my HBCU. Though there are different things i would change. For example, I would say the administration and staff need a change. They should be more helpful to us as students. Even though SCSU has its pros ans cons, It is an overall good institution.

Caroline

South Caroline State University has alot to offer when it comes to their academics, study abroad programs, and extracurricular activities. The students here are very open to get to know others and their backgrounds along with their vision and goals.

Kianna

South Carolina state university is a very good school. South Carolina state university has a lot to offer to each and every student. South Carolina state university has great clubs and organizations to offer for each and every student. South Carolina state university also has very good teachers.

Jordan

My overall opinion of South Carolina State University is very positive. I love I have chosen to attend this particular HBCU. I come from a family of HBCU graduates and I am a second generation attendee of SC State University. It's a place where I am receiving a top notch education, discovering who I am as an individual, and have the ability to think outside the box for solutions. The campus feels like home, I feel like I'm not just a number and I have made friends that will last a lifetime.

Nubia

South Carolina State University is an amazing historical black university that is very close to home for me.

Brandon

As a sophomore in this university, I feel the need to say that there are many extraordinary things on campus. Such as the food and architecture, SCSU provides the best experience for any new comer. However, there are some drawbacks I have to mention in this review. Such as the students lack of determination to learn from the professors. I have experienced lack of respect to learn in class and work ethic from students within my classes. For one year, I have experienced time after time hearing excuses of being late and not being ready for class. The students ruin the entire experience of this college. Such as drugs leaking within college lines to irresponsibility while driving vehicles on campus. The professors and instructors all have a 10/10 rating, including all faculty in my opinion. If you do think of coming to this college for education, be ready for unmotivated and irresponsible students you may encounter. But do not let that distract from the great education and real world experience you will gain from this university. There are many great opportunities everyday at SCSU for you to get yourself involved in your future.

Nyla

I visited state and I love it. Its a small university and I love that.

Kyrone

South Carolina State University is where anyone would want to attend.

Travell

It's a great opportunity for a student that is struggling a bit in high school and needs a little push into independence. I was a little disappointed with the freshman athletic dorms, because they looked industrial, but now I realize that is what's needed for young men. There are a lot of faculty, coaches and advisors that are available to help students on their journey. I do recommend SCSU.

Destiny

I Love my HBCU , but there are many changes that can be made to make the school a better place . The Financial aid office is TERRIBLE, and the cafe food could be better . Other than that , my school and the people in it, is what make us South Carolina State University.

Bryana

I visit the campus i loved it so much very friendly i felt welcomed i will be going to college in fall im so excited i felt like i was already family. Security on campus was really active with safety and our questions about direction to defferent facilty

Shakera

I love my school. They have minor flaws, but overall it is a great school. It has a great atmosphere and great people to be around. The faculty is great, as well as the professors. They connect with their students and does their best to help their student succeed.