Brookings, SD
South Dakota State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend South Dakota State University

Catherine

My classmates are one giant family that cares about the people around them like we all are really related.

Leaving home may not be the easiest thing, but through it all, you learn a lot about yourself. Don't be afraid to reach out to people for help. Get involved. You'll meet the best people that way. Also, don't be so stuck on your major that you have planned when you enter college. It can change and it's okay if it does. Be aware of what's going on around you; don't just stick to one group of people- broaden your horizons. Your webcam will be your best friend when you want to talk to your friends back home. Also, always keep a spare ink cartridge around, because it'll always happen- you'll run out of ink the day that big paper is due. College is one of the greatest adventures of your life, don't let it pass you by.

We invented: Cookies 'n' Cream ice cream, Briggs and Stratton motors and the scoreboard company, Daktronics, was founded by two SDSU professors. Also, that we have a great location near many great resources such as Wal-Mart.

South Dakota State University is best known for our health care fields such as Pharmacy and Nursing along with our Engineering School. We are highly ranked for both Pharmacy and Nursing.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a senior in High School I would say that "When things look tough, know that others individuals around you are going through things that are more than you can even imagine. There are people all around you that want to help as long as you let them help, and never be afraid to help others as well. You will feel overwhelmed but college is only getting you ready for life and opening your eyes to new things. Live life to the fullest and make sure to take risks, try new things, and have fun because college is an experience you don't forget. Enjoy college because it is a new chapter in your life that will go by faster than you think. You never know what new things you are going to do or learn." -Brittany

I think South Dakota State University is a very open school and accepts people of all backgrounds and religions but if you are looking for a big school SDSU is not for you. We are in a smaller city and the student populations almost doubles the towns population when we are in school.

Justin

Animal sciences, Ag Business/Ag Marketing, Wildlife and Fisheries, Biology, Agronomy, The school mascot is the Jackrabbit, It is a very well known school in the midwest for agriculture, Excellent research and undergraduate research opportunities. Friendly atmosphere for students and faculty, modern buildings and technical support. Wide variety of activites for students to do in there free time.

Look at all of the different majors, student activities, future job opportunities, and meet more with faculty. Check out as many different colleges or universities as possible.

Parking, Cost of buying textbooks, Alot of activites happen at the same time,

Rheana

Well first, I would tell myself to never live with my best friend! It is nice having someone so close to me to always be there, but it might be better if she was two doors down the dorm hallway. Getting out and meeting new people is very important, not just hanging out with the old crowd from high school, though those people will always be my friends, it is good to meet new people! Next I would tell myself to join some groups, that is another great way to meet people, but also to have a lot of fun, plus it looks good on transcripts, applications, and resumes! Oh, and to not get so much flex dollars to the cafeteria because you'll get sick of that food fast! But what I think is most important, spend a lot more time studying! That is why you are here! To learn and get a degree so before you go out, do some studying!

I wish I would have known that the size of a campus can have a large impact on a student, but also the set up of the campus. When it is weather time, walking to class in -15 degree weather, and walking back to the dorms isn't something I was prepared for!

Someone who enjoys outdoors, cold weather, and ice cream (SD has their on dairy bar, and was the inventory of Cookies and Cream flavored ice cream!). Everyone here is very friendly, and if you like to hunt, this is the place for you! The students and faculty are super friendly and helpful! This is a great place to learn. Just don't forget your coat!

Jordan

If I could give any advice to myself as a high school senior, it would definately be open to anything; new people, new places, and new experiences are what college is all about. At first, I wasn't as open to the changes that I was experiencing when I moved into college, and this put me in a position where I wasn't comfortable in my own skin. I realized that I was just not accepting these changes in my life, and I vowed to make the change to deal with the changes in my life. Now, I am a much happier person and loving the life I'm living at college.

People that should attend SDSU are people that love to be around and meet new people and be open to the differences of other individuals. South Dakota State Uni versity has a variety of people of different races that come from very different backgrounds. This is one of the aspects I like the best ab out our school because it opens me up to different kinds of cultures.

I haven't had anything that really frusterated me so far. There's a lot of construction going on and that makes it kind of hard to get around campus quickly sometimes, but that just means that changes are happening which I think is a good thing for our school.

Affonso

As a High School senior, I was still debating on an exact degree to choose. I was torn between Graphics, Photography and Film. I had already chosen a school that provided all three degree programs, but I would have to attend it three different times; which I could, but not in concession. I was also facing a finacial prouble, seeing as though I wouldn't be able to pay for college on my own and my parents were pressuring me to look for my own finaical assitance. As a senior, I would've told myself that I would lean on graphics more than anything and comfort myself that finaicial assitance is always available. That way, I would've started my scholarship search earlier and visiting my school of choice a little more often to become familar with the campus. As far as mental stability is soncerned, I would've told myself to be a lot more open-minded to new experiences to become seasoned, relax myself in times of stress, and study study study. If I could go back in time to my senior year, I would've helped myself out alot. thanks

Tara

South Dakota State University is a Division 1 top raked, agricultural and science based majors.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would of told myself to pick a college that had more major's that I was interested in. Do not just pick the same college as all your high school friends because you are confused on what you want to do with your life. Making the transition from high school to college can be a difficult time for many students. I would of told myself to not worry as much because most new students are feeling the same way. Right away a college student has to be outgoing and introduce themselves to different people. That is how one makes life long friends. I would of told myself that college is not as scary at it seems and to just relax and have fun. College is suppose to be an experiences that you will remember your whole life.

Someone wanting to pursue a degree in an agricultural, science, or nursing field should attend South Dakota State University. Also students who are looking to play a highly competitive sport.

Brienna

South Dakota State University (SDSU) is best known for its medical majors. Nursing has become very popular over the years and South Dakota State has one of the highest percentages of Nursing students who will most likely have a job before their graduation ceremony. Another thing that South Dakota State University is known for is the price to attend. SDSU has the lowest tuition in all of the schools in South Dakota. Their sports are well known but their main focus is based on the education of their students and being able to prepare them for the real world workforce.

If I could go back to a year ago when I was starting my second semester as a high school senior, I would do a plethora of things different. First of all, I would have worked harder in my Advanced Placement classes so I could have saved money by taking that class again. Another thing I would have done different would have been to fill out all of the scholarships I could possibly apply for and have them sent in before their due date. I would have scheduled more hours at work and been willing to stay later and come in earlier or not decide to have random days off to go hang out with my friends. It is hard to think about college when you are trying to think about the upcoming graduation necessities, studying for final semester exams, trying to fill out school applications and scholarships, and also going the extra mile to write essays that sound professional and deserving. The main piece of advice that I would tell myself if I could go back in time was to be sure I was financially prepared, study hard, and just be sure to not procrastinate until the last minute.

The worst thing about South Dakota State University are the teachers and professors. This is because many of them are from another country and are sometimes hard to understand. They are willing to help students but you have to work around their office hours. A lot of the teachers are really just there to help the head of the class teach all the students that sign up for that class. Another down-put on the teachers are the fact that they randomly cancel class and not inform the students until they arrive to see a note posted on the door.

Rebecca

The University of Central Oklahoma is best known for our education program. It is one of the best degree programs in the state of Oklahoma.

I would tell myself to fill out more scholarships. What I thought then about how many i should fill out was wrong. I could never fill out too many scholarships. Knowing how much college cost and the toll it takes on a student is completely different from simply hearing about it. The transition to college life was not as hard as I suspected, so the only thing i would tell myself would be to keep filling out more scholarships.

A person that would rather solitude than an community enviorment on a college campus. Our campus is big enough so you do not know everyone, but it is small enough to where you feel connected to the University. If a person does not like small class sizes to where the student is not simply another face in the crowd than University of Central Oklahoma is not the school for them.

Dawn

SDSU has a nice campus in Brookings and through their shared program at The University Center in Sioux Falls and has many great programs.

It is important to become engaged in your education right away. Sit up front, ask questions, and be involved. You will get more out of your education. In some ways you are teaching yourself so you need to work well with the professors to know their expectations and how to best learn from them. You will also want to determine how you best learn personally and incorporate that knowledge in your learning. Also be sure to schedule time for studying. Your general education courses may "seem" like a waste, but many of them can be used in basic daily life. It is also important to not put off your education. There will be time to "socialize", but your education has to be your top priority. Even with experience, many jobs will not even look at you as a candidate if you don't have the four year degree - get your education as soon as you can.

Anyone that is wants a variety of courses and is open to taking a class that relates to agriculture or rural america sociology.

South Dakota State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.