Brookings, SD
South Dakota State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend South Dakota State University

Kimberly

My school gives me an excellent education while keeping the midwestern work ethic and friendliness.

Our school is an agriculturally based school, but is also known for our engineering, nursing, and pharmacy programs.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I wouldn't really say too much different. As a senior I was really looking forward to getting away from home and meeting new people in a new place. I would tell myself to do more of that when I actually got to the school. When you play a sport, it is really easy to settle in with your teammates and not make many "non-athlete" friends. I would tell myself to make friends in classes that weren't in a sport. One thing I would like to tell myself would be to keep connections with friends back home. It will make it more enjoyeable over breaks to come home. I would also advise myself to never underestimate a good diet and sleep! I would also promise myself that its possible and more rewarding to find friends that have the same outlook on school as you and who don't emphasize alcohol in their lives. It will be easier to achieve your dream when you are not catching up on sleep and getting rid of a hangover on the weekends!

Camille

My classmates here are very supportive, nice, and very well rounded.

My classmates here are very supportive, nice, and very well rounded.

Knowing what I know now, going to a school out of state is the way to go. I have been home on Christmas Break and realized that the people who stayed in-state for school haven't grown up as much as I have. Being alone forces you to take responsability for yourself. In the beginning it is hard, but i believe that if you can get through the first month, college can be a great experience. School is hard, but it isn't impossible. Having the strength to be able to do the work on your own is so rewarding. It is an amazing experience and i wouldn't change it for the world. Good Luck

I wish I had known how hard metally school was going to be, but its well worth the frustration.

Kristofer

I would advise myself as a college student now to crack down on the books and learn better study habits. It would have been a good idea to have a harder senior year and taken the AP calculus class offered in high school. Instead of taking it slower my last year of high school I should of been preparing me more for college life as it is a big transition. There are no worksheets or other ways to earn points it is almost strictly exams only in college. I should have learned how to take tests and quizzes better to increase my performance in college.

I brag to my friends not attending the school that there are some pretty cool and interesting classes at the school that aren't offered in any other schools in the state such as architecture which is a new program starting next fall

The most frustrating thing about my school is trying to find parking. Every year more parking lots are replaced with buildings making it nearly impossible to get a spot anywhere close to your classes. And when you do find a spot you could find yourself walking 5 blocks to get to your class. The bigger lots also close at 12:30 p.m. on game days for athletic events making parking in other lots impossible. The signs stating the days are put up later so if you park in the morning you will find yourself with a ticket later.

The school I am currently attending is much larger than the other schools I was considering attending, but with all of the extra people there are so many people with different backgrounds that you can interact with.

Dear Ashley, There are a few words of advice that I have for you in your transition from high school to college; Firstly, start walking, you are in no way prepared for the amount of walking you are about to do. Second, enjoy the good food now, there may be a common area that serves food attached to your dorm but it is not very tasty. Third, don't for a second think that college will be as easy as high school, because it is NOTHING like high school. Teachers don't tell you about your assignments you just have to know, and the tests are way harder. And the final thing I have to say to you is to be true to yourself, don't lose who you are, because you are an amazing person!!!

The most frustrating thing about my school is the size of the campus. My campus is HUGE, not to mention walking to class in below-zero temperatures does not help the situation any.

Athena

Most of them are easy going, hard working, and trustworthy people, but there are still the worthless drunks who we have yet to figure out why they are in college.

The first thing I would tell my self is to join as many clubs and organizations as possible and not to be afraid to run for the leadership positions. They offer great experience for later in life and they give you a greater chance of being accepted by golleges, scholarship committees, and employers. The second thing would probably be to not be shy, get out there and talk to people. Make friends, the more friends you have the easier the transition will be. Next, is to take every opportunity you can find to gain experience in your area of interest, this experience might be what gets you the job you want or the scholarships you need. Finally, I would tell myself to NEVER slack off or procrastinate. These are the worst habits you can have in college, and the sooner you break them, the more successful you will be. College can be fun and doesn't have to be terribly stressful, just get out and have fun, get involved, and most importantly get your work done on time without waiting till the last minute.

As a freshman, I would say the worst thing is living in the dorms. They are small, cramped, and lacking privacy and I can't have my critters in the dorm rooms.

Catherine

My classmates are one giant family that cares about the people around them like we all are really related.

Leaving home may not be the easiest thing, but through it all, you learn a lot about yourself. Don't be afraid to reach out to people for help. Get involved. You'll meet the best people that way. Also, don't be so stuck on your major that you have planned when you enter college. It can change and it's okay if it does. Be aware of what's going on around you; don't just stick to one group of people- broaden your horizons. Your webcam will be your best friend when you want to talk to your friends back home. Also, always keep a spare ink cartridge around, because it'll always happen- you'll run out of ink the day that big paper is due. College is one of the greatest adventures of your life, don't let it pass you by.

We invented: Cookies 'n' Cream ice cream, Briggs and Stratton motors and the scoreboard company, Daktronics, was founded by two SDSU professors. Also, that we have a great location near many great resources such as Wal-Mart.

South Dakota State University is best known for our health care fields such as Pharmacy and Nursing along with our Engineering School. We are highly ranked for both Pharmacy and Nursing.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a senior in High School I would say that "When things look tough, know that others individuals around you are going through things that are more than you can even imagine. There are people all around you that want to help as long as you let them help, and never be afraid to help others as well. You will feel overwhelmed but college is only getting you ready for life and opening your eyes to new things. Live life to the fullest and make sure to take risks, try new things, and have fun because college is an experience you don't forget. Enjoy college because it is a new chapter in your life that will go by faster than you think. You never know what new things you are going to do or learn." -Brittany

I think South Dakota State University is a very open school and accepts people of all backgrounds and religions but if you are looking for a big school SDSU is not for you. We are in a smaller city and the student populations almost doubles the towns population when we are in school.

Justin

Animal sciences, Ag Business/Ag Marketing, Wildlife and Fisheries, Biology, Agronomy, The school mascot is the Jackrabbit, It is a very well known school in the midwest for agriculture, Excellent research and undergraduate research opportunities. Friendly atmosphere for students and faculty, modern buildings and technical support. Wide variety of activites for students to do in there free time.

Look at all of the different majors, student activities, future job opportunities, and meet more with faculty. Check out as many different colleges or universities as possible.

Parking, Cost of buying textbooks, Alot of activites happen at the same time,

Rheana

Well first, I would tell myself to never live with my best friend! It is nice having someone so close to me to always be there, but it might be better if she was two doors down the dorm hallway. Getting out and meeting new people is very important, not just hanging out with the old crowd from high school, though those people will always be my friends, it is good to meet new people! Next I would tell myself to join some groups, that is another great way to meet people, but also to have a lot of fun, plus it looks good on transcripts, applications, and resumes! Oh, and to not get so much flex dollars to the cafeteria because you'll get sick of that food fast! But what I think is most important, spend a lot more time studying! That is why you are here! To learn and get a degree so before you go out, do some studying!

I wish I would have known that the size of a campus can have a large impact on a student, but also the set up of the campus. When it is weather time, walking to class in -15 degree weather, and walking back to the dorms isn't something I was prepared for!

Someone who enjoys outdoors, cold weather, and ice cream (SD has their on dairy bar, and was the inventory of Cookies and Cream flavored ice cream!). Everyone here is very friendly, and if you like to hunt, this is the place for you! The students and faculty are super friendly and helpful! This is a great place to learn. Just don't forget your coat!

Jordan

If I could give any advice to myself as a high school senior, it would definately be open to anything; new people, new places, and new experiences are what college is all about. At first, I wasn't as open to the changes that I was experiencing when I moved into college, and this put me in a position where I wasn't comfortable in my own skin. I realized that I was just not accepting these changes in my life, and I vowed to make the change to deal with the changes in my life. Now, I am a much happier person and loving the life I'm living at college.

People that should attend SDSU are people that love to be around and meet new people and be open to the differences of other individuals. South Dakota State Uni versity has a variety of people of different races that come from very different backgrounds. This is one of the aspects I like the best ab out our school because it opens me up to different kinds of cultures.

I haven't had anything that really frusterated me so far. There's a lot of construction going on and that makes it kind of hard to get around campus quickly sometimes, but that just means that changes are happening which I think is a good thing for our school.

South Dakota State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.