Brookings, SD
South Dakota State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend South Dakota State University

Affonso

As a High School senior, I was still debating on an exact degree to choose. I was torn between Graphics, Photography and Film. I had already chosen a school that provided all three degree programs, but I would have to attend it three different times; which I could, but not in concession. I was also facing a finacial prouble, seeing as though I wouldn't be able to pay for college on my own and my parents were pressuring me to look for my own finaical assitance. As a senior, I would've told myself that I would lean on graphics more than anything and comfort myself that finaicial assitance is always available. That way, I would've started my scholarship search earlier and visiting my school of choice a little more often to become familar with the campus. As far as mental stability is soncerned, I would've told myself to be a lot more open-minded to new experiences to become seasoned, relax myself in times of stress, and study study study. If I could go back in time to my senior year, I would've helped myself out alot. thanks

Tara

South Dakota State University is a Division 1 top raked, agricultural and science based majors.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would of told myself to pick a college that had more major's that I was interested in. Do not just pick the same college as all your high school friends because you are confused on what you want to do with your life. Making the transition from high school to college can be a difficult time for many students. I would of told myself to not worry as much because most new students are feeling the same way. Right away a college student has to be outgoing and introduce themselves to different people. That is how one makes life long friends. I would of told myself that college is not as scary at it seems and to just relax and have fun. College is suppose to be an experiences that you will remember your whole life.

Someone wanting to pursue a degree in an agricultural, science, or nursing field should attend South Dakota State University. Also students who are looking to play a highly competitive sport.

Brienna

South Dakota State University (SDSU) is best known for its medical majors. Nursing has become very popular over the years and South Dakota State has one of the highest percentages of Nursing students who will most likely have a job before their graduation ceremony. Another thing that South Dakota State University is known for is the price to attend. SDSU has the lowest tuition in all of the schools in South Dakota. Their sports are well known but their main focus is based on the education of their students and being able to prepare them for the real world workforce.

If I could go back to a year ago when I was starting my second semester as a high school senior, I would do a plethora of things different. First of all, I would have worked harder in my Advanced Placement classes so I could have saved money by taking that class again. Another thing I would have done different would have been to fill out all of the scholarships I could possibly apply for and have them sent in before their due date. I would have scheduled more hours at work and been willing to stay later and come in earlier or not decide to have random days off to go hang out with my friends. It is hard to think about college when you are trying to think about the upcoming graduation necessities, studying for final semester exams, trying to fill out school applications and scholarships, and also going the extra mile to write essays that sound professional and deserving. The main piece of advice that I would tell myself if I could go back in time was to be sure I was financially prepared, study hard, and just be sure to not procrastinate until the last minute.

The worst thing about South Dakota State University are the teachers and professors. This is because many of them are from another country and are sometimes hard to understand. They are willing to help students but you have to work around their office hours. A lot of the teachers are really just there to help the head of the class teach all the students that sign up for that class. Another down-put on the teachers are the fact that they randomly cancel class and not inform the students until they arrive to see a note posted on the door.

Rebecca

The University of Central Oklahoma is best known for our education program. It is one of the best degree programs in the state of Oklahoma.

I would tell myself to fill out more scholarships. What I thought then about how many i should fill out was wrong. I could never fill out too many scholarships. Knowing how much college cost and the toll it takes on a student is completely different from simply hearing about it. The transition to college life was not as hard as I suspected, so the only thing i would tell myself would be to keep filling out more scholarships.

A person that would rather solitude than an community enviorment on a college campus. Our campus is big enough so you do not know everyone, but it is small enough to where you feel connected to the University. If a person does not like small class sizes to where the student is not simply another face in the crowd than University of Central Oklahoma is not the school for them.

Dawn

SDSU has a nice campus in Brookings and through their shared program at The University Center in Sioux Falls and has many great programs.

It is important to become engaged in your education right away. Sit up front, ask questions, and be involved. You will get more out of your education. In some ways you are teaching yourself so you need to work well with the professors to know their expectations and how to best learn from them. You will also want to determine how you best learn personally and incorporate that knowledge in your learning. Also be sure to schedule time for studying. Your general education courses may "seem" like a waste, but many of them can be used in basic daily life. It is also important to not put off your education. There will be time to "socialize", but your education has to be your top priority. Even with experience, many jobs will not even look at you as a candidate if you don't have the four year degree - get your education as soon as you can.

Anyone that is wants a variety of courses and is open to taking a class that relates to agriculture or rural america sociology.

Nik

Stay focused on your goals in your college career. Make sure to make lots of friends and don't be shy. College is not scary, just settle in and do your thing your way. Make sure to get to know your college professors because they are there to help you. Don't study all the time but don't party all the time either. There needs to be an equal balance. Do not procrastinate ever. It only will hurt you in the long run.

Katie

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I wouldn't tell myself too many things about the college experience. Although many people told me about their college experience and gave me a heads up on what I should expect; nothing I heard seemed to be true in my life. Honestly all I would say is to be yourself and not let anyone change who you are, but not to be afraid of change. Because changing in college is inevitable. I would tell myself not to sweat over the small stuff and that you need to have fun once in awhile; you cannot study all the time or you will go insane.

I think that the only thing bad about my school (which isn't even the school.. it's the state) is that it is freezing in South Dakota. The weather is bipolar and it is windy all the time and walking to class is very cold. SDSU would benefit from underground tunnels from building to building :)

I mostly brag about my job and the fact that I live a block away from campus and my rent is extremely cheap. This community is great for jobs for college students as well as off campus affordable housing.

My classmates mainly have farming backgrounds, but there are many foreign students and city kids also.

I think SDSU is best known for its learning atmosphere. The school really is set up for learning. The library is very useful for doing research, papers... The lecture halls are set up so that you can hear and see the contect well.

I would tell myself to not worry about having perfect grades, having that perfect 4.0 because it doesn't seem to matter. I would also make myself do many more scholarships than I actually did. I would research different fields of study more too just to make sure I don't change my mind my junior year of college. And last but most importantly, I would tell myself to have fun as a senior in high school, cherish my high school, small town friends, and family because I will miss them.

Katie

SDSU is very welcoming and the faculty is very willing to assist with questions regarding classes and advising.

SDSU students are very welcoming to others and willing to open their doors to others of different backgrounds.

I would have told myself to get into better study habits. Also, I would have taken some post-secondary classes to cheapen the tuition bill. Testing out of classes earlier would have been very beneficial.

South Dakota State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.