Brookings, SD
South Dakota State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend South Dakota State University

Kenyatta
Good

The cheerleading team is good and I am interested in that.

Good

The cheerleading team is good and I am interested in that.

Angela
Go Jacks

Go Jacks

SDSU is a definitely a great school with a beautiful campus. The teachers really want students to do well in their classes and during their office hours they are willing to help you. You will find a lot of the same people in all your classes so getting to know them will be worthwhile.

Choose a college of your choice. I went to a school that I thought I would like because my friends go there, but ended up hating it and now I'm transfering. Plus if you want to go out into the world and get out of that "hometown" feeling, then I recommend going to a big school. More people, more fun, more opportunities, and more things to do. Seriously.

people who don't like big schools

Molly

Since South Dakota State University is a landgrant college, some of the aspects it is best known for is the pride we take in our agricultural college. It has great opportunities for students to keep up with and learn more about what we love and may have grown up with. We are also well known for our professional college. SDSU offers many fields that ready our students for professional school after undergrad. One last big aspect SDSU is known for is the opportunities it offers. Know matter what you are interested in, there is always a place for everyone.

I have a lot of advice about college for my high school self. One tip would be to learn good study habits now. Because with all the extracurriculars campus has to offer, one has to be disciplined enough to know when, how much, and for how long they need to study. It is easy to get caught up in the fun of organizations, but you have to remember that academics is the sole purpose of college. My second piece of advice would be to get involved right away. College is a place that I personally came out of my shell, and It happened when I started joining clubs and other organizations. It will benefit you during and after your college experience. A third piece of advice is to find a nice place on campus, other than your residence hall, to study. Get in the habit of being our of the room from 9-5 each day. Beter to get into this habit now then when you enter the work force afte graduation. My last piece of advice, would be to remember to have fun. Studying is important, but college is only a four year experience until the real world hits.

I believe the worst thing about my school is the food served and the availability of it. There is not very many places on campus that serve healthy food. The places that do serve healthier food don't have very good hours. But for the people who truely wish to eat healthier, you have to make it yourself, which isn't always a bad thing, but it would be helpful to be able to go out and purchase a healthy meal.

Allison

I would have to say that it is something I should have thought more about, and I wish i would have spent more time finding out what I wanted to do after high school. I also would say to not let un needed things distract you from what you are going to do. You need to focus on yourself and start to make decsions on your own. Graduating high school and going in to college is a very important part of your life.

I think the teachers are really great. They make you do your work and push you to do your best. They are there when you need help.

The atmosphere and some of the kids there. Some of them are very disrespectful to others and teachers.

Tessa

South Dakota State University is full of opportunities, friendly faces, and a good learning environment.

South Dakota State University is one of the most affordable schools in the U.S. For it's unique price students can recieve a quality education from professors and learning communities who care. The university is also unique for its learning communities, meaning they put you in a community with other students who are studying similar things to you so that you are in almost all of the same classes and it is easier to make study groups.

Going to college pushes you to become more independent than you've ever been and that transition can be scary so here is some advice to help prepare you. Just because you can stay up as late as you want with your friends doing shenanigans doesn't mean you should. Sleep is crucial to help you stay focused throughout the day. Classes are not mandatory so it's easy to press the snooze button if you are too tired to wake up in the morning, causing you to miss your class. Don't skip because you never know if your professor will introduce something important that day. Keep your dorm door open and don't be afraid to say hello to a stranger walking by. Make new friends and put yourself out there! Call home at least once a week. This prevents you from becoming homesick and it reassures your parents you are okay. Trust me, they love it. Understand that it's okay to be undecided about your future. You are only 18; you have plenty of time to decide so don't stress yourself out. Enjoy the freedom but trust that you know your limits and study hard!

Bryanna

My classmates are diverse and from all over the world; the school is too big to be stereotyped or fit into a specific categor...

My classmates are diverse and from all over the world; the school is too big to be stereotyped or fit into a specific category.

If I were able to go back in time and write a letter of advice to myself while I was still in high school, my best advice for myself would have been to get more involved. I was involved in one to two things per year throughout my high school experience and it would have been a huge blessing to be able to learn how to make lasting relationships with other peers based on common interests. I find that I did not carry about half of the friendships over once my college career began and I miss the relationships built with my high school friends. Another piece of advice I would have given to myself back in high school was to challenge myself more. I took several Advanced Placement classes that helped prepare me for college, however, if I could have pushed myself to take more, I could have been saving thousands of dollars. Overall, the most two important things I could have improved on in high school are getting more involved, and challenging myself more. These are important for every high school student preparing to obtain a postsecondary education.

A student that should not attend South Dakota State University is one that does not like being in a large school. The school has over 13,000 students and most classes range from 40 to 250 students per class. A student has to be comfortable with minimal student to teacher content and be willing to work hard for a decent grade. This school is challenging and puts into perspective what the working force will be like depending on the major intended.

I have yet to attend classes (I start this fall), but I imagine that many of the students pursuing the same degree as me are in the same life situation- older student returning to school for an education.

Looking back at my high school days, I would tell myself to enjoy the little things. Enjoy the freedoms of being a child. Don't let the other kids make you think you are not as good as they are. You have a great life ahead of you, just get through high school and achieve your goals. Put your values first. Never give in to negative peer pressure- it won't turn out well. If people don't like you for who you truly are, too bad. Remember, if you put your mind to it, you can achieve it. Also, everybody that looks back at their high school years either hates the way they treated others, or just plain hated high school. It's just a milestone that you need to get passed for an awesome future.

I like that I can take my entire degree online so I can go to the school of my choice, but not have to uproot my family for me to attend.

Careen

I wish I had known more about the Bookstore and purchasing books. I spent three times as much on books my first semester than I really needed to. I didn't know the options available to me like renting, sharing, and buying used textbooks.

The worst part about South Dakota State University is the communication on campus. The school has four different webistes that students must search through to find grades, assignments, billing information, etc. It is confusing and students generally feel like they're missing something. Also, there is a lack of communication between student organizations and students. South Dakota State University could greatly improve sutdent life by creating one webiste for everything. This website could combine all four of the current webistes and the student organization information into a more universal and inefficient source of information.

Danielle

I love watching all the new construction going up on campus, that makes me feel like we are both making progress. I love the idea of having SI sessions that reinforce the material that was covered in class. The "clickers" used in classes are also helpful to both the student and the instructor to get feedback on how the class is doing and to see if you as the student is understanding the material being presented.

Advice is a tricky thing. Until you have experienced a few things in life its even difficult to that the advice of other, wiser individuals. After almost completing my first year of college I would have told myself to take more classes that challenged me in high school and to start the college and scholarship search MUCH earlier. I would tell myself to me bold when moving in. Make the first move with other students and introduce yourself. Making friends is never going to get any easier when you are as shy as I am so I recommend starting early. DO NOT room with a friend unless you know that you can stand one another full time. Even the best of friends can make the worst roommates. And lastly, remove yourself from the high school mentality. While making friends and socializing is important, school and studying ALWAYS comes first. There will always be time for fun after the work has been done. Keep your priorities straight.

In high school I went to school full time and maintained a 3.59 GPA, I worked part time at Sturgis Harley Davidson, and coached a traveling jumprope team for children 1st grade through 9th grade that prefored at workshops and half time at basketball games. And I was still able to apply for colleges my senior year.

South Dakota State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.