Brookings, SD
South Dakota State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend South Dakota State University

Eric

As the old adage goes, “Actions speak louder than words.” So if I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, knowing what I know now about college life and making the transition, I wouldn’t say anything. I would drag the injudicious version of myself “back to the future” to get a good look at life. There I’d stand; quietly watching as the younger me internalized what was happening. Searching for something meaningful to give myself, I would remember the words of the current Dalai Lama who said, “…[humans are] so anxious about the future that [they do not] live in the present; the result being that [they do not] live in the present or the future; [they live] as if [they are] never going to die, and then [die] having never really lived.” I would turn to my younger self and utter two words… ...,”Go. Live.”

Lindsey

My school is best known for its agricultural program.

My school is best known for its agricultural program.

That your parents aren't really abandoning you, and you don't need to bring your entire room + the kitchen sink. Friends are easier to make than you think. Try lots of things, and attend a variety of cultural speakers and music! Be a leader or a researcher, because it will help build your resume. Bring headphones or earplugs. Be ready to compromise with your roomate. Put your dirty laundry and dishes away, your roomate will hate it otherwise. Be open to anything coming your way, because anything can happen.

I wish I had known how much I was really going to eat off of my meal plan so that I didn't bring so much food.

Paige

I would tell myself to go for the soroity life early! Those girls will become your best friends and help you through all the tough classes. If it wasnt for Alpha Omega Epsilon I would have dropped out and not made it to my goal of graduating college. Dont fret about money. That is one thing that will come and go. Financal aid has always been available as well as scholorships. Apply for as many as possible and be serious about them.

I love how helpful Dr. Reid has always been.

Parking has and always will be the most frustrating situation.

Kaitlyn

SDSU is an agriculturally based school that offers a variety of other career options such are pre-nursing and pre-pharmacy.

South Dakota State University it best known for its excellent animal research facilities and producing students that excell in the areas of animal research. SDSU is also well known for its sports teams, Go Big Go Blue Go Jacks.

Remember to take what people say about classes being a lot harder in college seriously, its a whole new world in terms of classes and in terms of living. Take whatever help is offered to you and apply for as many scholarships as you are able to qualify for, the last thing you want to worry about is how your are going to pay for school this year. The teachers are there for a reason, they are willing to help you if you need it, so use that help. The same goes for the academic and tutoring centers, they really do help, don't ever let your pride get in your way of asking for help. Also, remember to branch out and do not be afraid to make new friends and join different clubs that you haven't tried before, along with the ones you alrealdy knew about and wanted to be apart of. Remember to talk to mom and dad and grandma often, they all want to know what is going on and how you are doing and they miss you. Finally, remember not to be afraid of change, it can be a good thing.

Shelby

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school student, I would tell myself to prepare for something huge. College makes up your whole life. If you don't go, you're stuck with a minimum wage job. College opens up so many options and choices to make a great life. I would tell myself to fill out as many applications for scholarships as possible. I would also tell myself to really decide what I want to do. I recently changed my major from what I was set gung-ho on for about 2 years. I would also talk to an advisor at the college I planned to attend. They can really help you with deciding what classes to take, when to take them, and decide when you can graduate. I would also tell myself to learn how to take notes. Now-a-days, students have trouble following the professors and learning the Cornell note system really can help you do well in your classes. I wish I could go back in time, but I'm glad I learned on my own sooner than later.

Leslie

The first advice I would give to myself is that a smart idea would be to go to a community college where you can get your first two years paid for and have less debt after you graduate. Its also a GREAT transition going to a smaller school. Another thing I would have told myself is take challenging classes in high school to ready yourself for college. I know that it is so hard to try as a senior because you are so ready to graduate but once again in the end it will be worth it. And the third thing. GET INVOLVED! It is so important to have extra curricular activities under your belt and to step out and try new things! College is such a transition period and an indicator of your future life and starting earlier with good habits will help make you even more successful in the end!

The size can be a bit of a downer because a lot of the times you dont know a lot of people you see during the day. Once you have been here for a couple of years though that changes! And you definitely have to go out and make an effort to meet people!

The nursing program here at SDSU is so great! Very challenging but rewarding if you put effort and drive into your studies and choices. There are also always things to do here if you take the time, and it is a beautiful campus.

Rebecca

I would advise myself to not take the year off after high school. I took this route and it led to me being out of school for five years and entering back into school was extremely difficult especially with a 4 year old boy. I would tell myself that I am going to have to work harder and focus because there I only have myself to push me to go to class, complete assignments and study for exams. I would most likely tell myself to apply to universities in different states that way I could experience what life is like in a different part of the country. I would also stress not to be influenced by others. Peer pressure is hard to overcome but almost always leads to disaster. I would make sure that I know I am going to have to be strong, stick to my morals and beliefs and remember what my parents have taught me throughout life about the world and the evils that exist in it. I would also tell my high school self to choose a career that she is going to love and will help to make a difference in the world.

Amy

SDSU is a very rural university with a strong emphasis on agricultural programming.

If I had the opportunity to speak to myself as a high school senior, I would have so much to say!! The biggest thing I would want to share with myself regarding the transition to college life would be to take it all seriously, but to find ways to enjoy it, too. Coming to college as an eighteen year old, I was so young and so naïve. Finding a way to pay for college then seemed impossible. It has been a much tougher road as I have worked to complete my degree as an adult while raising my children, and if I could go back and talk to myself back then, I would want to make it clear how much easier things would be if I could find a way to balance the financial challenges and keep working at my degree then, rather than coming back later. Although I thought I had financial hurdles then, they were nothing compared to what I have had to overcome now. If only I could have seen the road ahead then, I would have done so many things differently, and that is what I would want my high school self to know.

I would have liked to have known how strong the farming/rodeo element was at this school

Jakob

I have a couple things that I wish I would have done. One would be to study more. I had terrible study habits that started in my freshman year and slightly carried over into college until I stopped it. During my senior year, I had the least amount of classes in a school year ever. Although I did pass all my classes, I should've aced every one of my classes considering all the free time I had. Another was to retake the ACT. My first time I took the ACT, I got an 18. Just barely enough in my view and I wanted to retake it. Even though I did schedule for another, there was a blizzard this day and was rescheduled. Unfortunately, I had to work on the day and could not attend. I ended up getting too caught up in working and was unable to sign up for another day which I very much regret. Finally, I would tell myself to be more available to work during the summer and save more of the money I do earn. I don’t think I saved enough from this summer to last me the rest of the school year.

Even though South Dakota State University is 13,000 students strong and the largest state college in South Dakota, there is still that "down-home'' feeling around campus. My assumption is that a majority of the SDSU students are from South Dakota which means that many people come from small towns of about 5,000 or less (including myself). This means that you are nicer to people because in a small town, chances are you are going to see a person many times in a day or week. Also, SDSU makes and sells its own great homemade Ice Cream.

I probably consider the amount we pay for college the worst part. Although South Dakota State University is cheaper than let’s say a private college, lots of what SDSU charges are high. One unnecessary charge is what they call an Activity Fee. This is a set amount that SDSU adds to every student's tuition which allows students to get into most sporting events and activities for free. Although convenient for sports go-errs, I think this should be optional for those students who do not like to go to events.

My classmates at South Dakota State University, are friendly and easy to get along with.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to take academic scholarships more seriously and enjoy quality time with my friends. Going to college is a big commitment and expensive, spending a large amount of money is foolish when there are so many different varieties of scholarships offered. By taking time to both search and apply for multiple scholarships, college can become a little easier on finances. I would also advise my senior self to cherish the time I had left with my high school friends. Seinor year is a fun and important time in everyone's life and sharing those moments with friends makes it even better.

The most frustrating thing about my school is the lack of parking lots close to classroom buildings.

South Dakota State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.