Brookings, SD
South Dakota State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend South Dakota State University

I have yet to attend classes (I start this fall), but I imagine that many of the students pursuing the same degree as me are in the same life situation- older student returning to school for an education.

Looking back at my high school days, I would tell myself to enjoy the little things. Enjoy the freedoms of being a child. Don't let the other kids make you think you are not as good as they are. You have a great life ahead of you, just get through high school and achieve your goals. Put your values first. Never give in to negative peer pressure- it won't turn out well. If people don't like you for who you truly are, too bad. Remember, if you put your mind to it, you can achieve it. Also, everybody that looks back at their high school years either hates the way they treated others, or just plain hated high school. It's just a milestone that you need to get passed for an awesome future.

I like that I can take my entire degree online so I can go to the school of my choice, but not have to uproot my family for me to attend.

Careen

I wish I had known more about the Bookstore and purchasing books. I spent three times as much on books my first semester than I really needed to. I didn't know the options available to me like renting, sharing, and buying used textbooks.

The worst part about South Dakota State University is the communication on campus. The school has four different webistes that students must search through to find grades, assignments, billing information, etc. It is confusing and students generally feel like they're missing something. Also, there is a lack of communication between student organizations and students. South Dakota State University could greatly improve sutdent life by creating one webiste for everything. This website could combine all four of the current webistes and the student organization information into a more universal and inefficient source of information.

Danielle

I love watching all the new construction going up on campus, that makes me feel like we are both making progress. I love the idea of having SI sessions that reinforce the material that was covered in class. The "clickers" used in classes are also helpful to both the student and the instructor to get feedback on how the class is doing and to see if you as the student is understanding the material being presented.

Advice is a tricky thing. Until you have experienced a few things in life its even difficult to that the advice of other, wiser individuals. After almost completing my first year of college I would have told myself to take more classes that challenged me in high school and to start the college and scholarship search MUCH earlier. I would tell myself to me bold when moving in. Make the first move with other students and introduce yourself. Making friends is never going to get any easier when you are as shy as I am so I recommend starting early. DO NOT room with a friend unless you know that you can stand one another full time. Even the best of friends can make the worst roommates. And lastly, remove yourself from the high school mentality. While making friends and socializing is important, school and studying ALWAYS comes first. There will always be time for fun after the work has been done. Keep your priorities straight.

In high school I went to school full time and maintained a 3.59 GPA, I worked part time at Sturgis Harley Davidson, and coached a traveling jumprope team for children 1st grade through 9th grade that prefored at workshops and half time at basketball games. And I was still able to apply for colleges my senior year.

Eric

As the old adage goes, “Actions speak louder than words.” So if I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, knowing what I know now about college life and making the transition, I wouldn’t say anything. I would drag the injudicious version of myself “back to the future” to get a good look at life. There I’d stand; quietly watching as the younger me internalized what was happening. Searching for something meaningful to give myself, I would remember the words of the current Dalai Lama who said, “…[humans are] so anxious about the future that [they do not] live in the present; the result being that [they do not] live in the present or the future; [they live] as if [they are] never going to die, and then [die] having never really lived.” I would turn to my younger self and utter two words… ...,”Go. Live.”

Lindsey

My school is best known for its agricultural program.

My school is best known for its agricultural program.

That your parents aren't really abandoning you, and you don't need to bring your entire room + the kitchen sink. Friends are easier to make than you think. Try lots of things, and attend a variety of cultural speakers and music! Be a leader or a researcher, because it will help build your resume. Bring headphones or earplugs. Be ready to compromise with your roomate. Put your dirty laundry and dishes away, your roomate will hate it otherwise. Be open to anything coming your way, because anything can happen.

I wish I had known how much I was really going to eat off of my meal plan so that I didn't bring so much food.

Paige

I would tell myself to go for the soroity life early! Those girls will become your best friends and help you through all the tough classes. If it wasnt for Alpha Omega Epsilon I would have dropped out and not made it to my goal of graduating college. Dont fret about money. That is one thing that will come and go. Financal aid has always been available as well as scholorships. Apply for as many as possible and be serious about them.

I love how helpful Dr. Reid has always been.

Parking has and always will be the most frustrating situation.

Kaitlyn

SDSU is an agriculturally based school that offers a variety of other career options such are pre-nursing and pre-pharmacy.

South Dakota State University it best known for its excellent animal research facilities and producing students that excell in the areas of animal research. SDSU is also well known for its sports teams, Go Big Go Blue Go Jacks.

Remember to take what people say about classes being a lot harder in college seriously, its a whole new world in terms of classes and in terms of living. Take whatever help is offered to you and apply for as many scholarships as you are able to qualify for, the last thing you want to worry about is how your are going to pay for school this year. The teachers are there for a reason, they are willing to help you if you need it, so use that help. The same goes for the academic and tutoring centers, they really do help, don't ever let your pride get in your way of asking for help. Also, remember to branch out and do not be afraid to make new friends and join different clubs that you haven't tried before, along with the ones you alrealdy knew about and wanted to be apart of. Remember to talk to mom and dad and grandma often, they all want to know what is going on and how you are doing and they miss you. Finally, remember not to be afraid of change, it can be a good thing.

Shelby

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school student, I would tell myself to prepare for something huge. College makes up your whole life. If you don't go, you're stuck with a minimum wage job. College opens up so many options and choices to make a great life. I would tell myself to fill out as many applications for scholarships as possible. I would also tell myself to really decide what I want to do. I recently changed my major from what I was set gung-ho on for about 2 years. I would also talk to an advisor at the college I planned to attend. They can really help you with deciding what classes to take, when to take them, and decide when you can graduate. I would also tell myself to learn how to take notes. Now-a-days, students have trouble following the professors and learning the Cornell note system really can help you do well in your classes. I wish I could go back in time, but I'm glad I learned on my own sooner than later.

Leslie

The first advice I would give to myself is that a smart idea would be to go to a community college where you can get your first two years paid for and have less debt after you graduate. Its also a GREAT transition going to a smaller school. Another thing I would have told myself is take challenging classes in high school to ready yourself for college. I know that it is so hard to try as a senior because you are so ready to graduate but once again in the end it will be worth it. And the third thing. GET INVOLVED! It is so important to have extra curricular activities under your belt and to step out and try new things! College is such a transition period and an indicator of your future life and starting earlier with good habits will help make you even more successful in the end!

The size can be a bit of a downer because a lot of the times you dont know a lot of people you see during the day. Once you have been here for a couple of years though that changes! And you definitely have to go out and make an effort to meet people!

The nursing program here at SDSU is so great! Very challenging but rewarding if you put effort and drive into your studies and choices. There are also always things to do here if you take the time, and it is a beautiful campus.

Rebecca

I would advise myself to not take the year off after high school. I took this route and it led to me being out of school for five years and entering back into school was extremely difficult especially with a 4 year old boy. I would tell myself that I am going to have to work harder and focus because there I only have myself to push me to go to class, complete assignments and study for exams. I would most likely tell myself to apply to universities in different states that way I could experience what life is like in a different part of the country. I would also stress not to be influenced by others. Peer pressure is hard to overcome but almost always leads to disaster. I would make sure that I know I am going to have to be strong, stick to my morals and beliefs and remember what my parents have taught me throughout life about the world and the evils that exist in it. I would also tell my high school self to choose a career that she is going to love and will help to make a difference in the world.

South Dakota State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.