South Dakota State University Top Questions

Choose a college of your choice. I went to a school that I thought I would like because my friends go there, but ended up hating it and now I'm transfering. Plus if you want to go out into the world and get out of that "hometown" feeling, then I recommend going to a big school. More people, more fun, more opportunities, and more things to do. Seriously.

I have a lot of advice about college for my high school self. One tip would be to learn good study habits now. Because with all the extracurriculars campus has to offer, one has to be disciplined enough to know when, how much, and for how long they need to study. It is easy to get caught up in the fun of organizations, but you have to remember that academics is the sole purpose of college. My second piece of advice would be to get involved right away. College is a place that I personally came out of my shell, and It happened when I started joining clubs and other organizations. It will benefit you during and after your college experience. A third piece of advice is to find a nice place on campus, other than your residence hall, to study. Get in the habit of being our of the room from 9-5 each day. Beter to get into this habit now then when you enter the work force afte graduation. My last piece of advice, would be to remember to have fun. Studying is important, but college is only a four year experience until the real world hits.

I would have to say that it is something I should have thought more about, and I wish i would have spent more time finding out what I wanted to do after high school. I also would say to not let un needed things distract you from what you are going to do. You need to focus on yourself and start to make decsions on your own. Graduating high school and going in to college is a very important part of your life.

Tessa

Going to college pushes you to become more independent than you've ever been and that transition can be scary so here is some advice to help prepare you. Just because you can stay up as late as you want with your friends doing shenanigans doesn't mean you should. Sleep is crucial to help you stay focused throughout the day. Classes are not mandatory so it's easy to press the snooze button if you are too tired to wake up in the morning, causing you to miss your class. Don't skip because you never know if your professor will introduce something important that day. Keep your dorm door open and don't be afraid to say hello to a stranger walking by. Make new friends and put yourself out there! Call home at least once a week. This prevents you from becoming homesick and it reassures your parents you are okay. Trust me, they love it. Understand that it's okay to be undecided about your future. You are only 18; you have plenty of time to decide so don't stress yourself out. Enjoy the freedom but trust that you know your limits and study hard!

Bryanna

If I were able to go back in time and write a letter of advice to myself while I was still in high school, my best advice for myself would have been to get more involved. I was involved in one to two things per year throughout my high school experience and it would have been a huge blessing to be able to learn how to make lasting relationships with other peers based on common interests. I find that I did not carry about half of the friendships over once my college career began and I miss the relationships built with my high school friends. Another piece of advice I would have given to myself back in high school was to challenge myself more. I took several Advanced Placement classes that helped prepare me for college, however, if I could have pushed myself to take more, I could have been saving thousands of dollars. Overall, the most two important things I could have improved on in high school are getting more involved, and challenging myself more. These are important for every high school student preparing to obtain a postsecondary education.

Looking back at my high school days, I would tell myself to enjoy the little things. Enjoy the freedoms of being a child. Don't let the other kids make you think you are not as good as they are. You have a great life ahead of you, just get through high school and achieve your goals. Put your values first. Never give in to negative peer pressure- it won't turn out well. If people don't like you for who you truly are, too bad. Remember, if you put your mind to it, you can achieve it. Also, everybody that looks back at their high school years either hates the way they treated others, or just plain hated high school. It's just a milestone that you need to get passed for an awesome future.

Advice is a tricky thing. Until you have experienced a few things in life its even difficult to that the advice of other, wiser individuals. After almost completing my first year of college I would have told myself to take more classes that challenged me in high school and to start the college and scholarship search MUCH earlier. I would tell myself to me bold when moving in. Make the first move with other students and introduce yourself. Making friends is never going to get any easier when you are as shy as I am so I recommend starting early. DO NOT room with a friend unless you know that you can stand one another full time. Even the best of friends can make the worst roommates. And lastly, remove yourself from the high school mentality. While making friends and socializing is important, school and studying ALWAYS comes first. There will always be time for fun after the work has been done. Keep your priorities straight.

As the old adage goes, “Actions speak louder than words.” So if I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, knowing what I know now about college life and making the transition, I wouldn’t say anything. I would drag the injudicious version of myself “back to the future” to get a good look at life. There I’d stand; quietly watching as the younger me internalized what was happening. Searching for something meaningful to give myself, I would remember the words of the current Dalai Lama who said, “…[humans are] so anxious about the future that [they do not] live in the present; the result being that [they do not] live in the present or the future; [they live] as if [they are] never going to die, and then [die] having never really lived.” I would turn to my younger self and utter two words… ...,”Go. Live.”

That your parents aren't really abandoning you, and you don't need to bring your entire room + the kitchen sink. Friends are easier to make than you think. Try lots of things, and attend a variety of cultural speakers and music! Be a leader or a researcher, because it will help build your resume. Bring headphones or earplugs. Be ready to compromise with your roomate. Put your dirty laundry and dishes away, your roomate will hate it otherwise. Be open to anything coming your way, because anything can happen.

I would tell myself to go for the soroity life early! Those girls will become your best friends and help you through all the tough classes. If it wasnt for Alpha Omega Epsilon I would have dropped out and not made it to my goal of graduating college. Dont fret about money. That is one thing that will come and go. Financal aid has always been available as well as scholorships. Apply for as many as possible and be serious about them.

Remember to take what people say about classes being a lot harder in college seriously, its a whole new world in terms of classes and in terms of living. Take whatever help is offered to you and apply for as many scholarships as you are able to qualify for, the last thing you want to worry about is how your are going to pay for school this year. The teachers are there for a reason, they are willing to help you if you need it, so use that help. The same goes for the academic and tutoring centers, they really do help, don't ever let your pride get in your way of asking for help. Also, remember to branch out and do not be afraid to make new friends and join different clubs that you haven't tried before, along with the ones you alrealdy knew about and wanted to be apart of. Remember to talk to mom and dad and grandma often, they all want to know what is going on and how you are doing and they miss you. Finally, remember not to be afraid of change, it can be a good thing.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school student, I would tell myself to prepare for something huge. College makes up your whole life. If you don't go, you're stuck with a minimum wage job. College opens up so many options and choices to make a great life. I would tell myself to fill out as many applications for scholarships as possible. I would also tell myself to really decide what I want to do. I recently changed my major from what I was set gung-ho on for about 2 years. I would also talk to an advisor at the college I planned to attend. They can really help you with deciding what classes to take, when to take them, and decide when you can graduate. I would also tell myself to learn how to take notes. Now-a-days, students have trouble following the professors and learning the Cornell note system really can help you do well in your classes. I wish I could go back in time, but I'm glad I learned on my own sooner than later.

The first advice I would give to myself is that a smart idea would be to go to a community college where you can get your first two years paid for and have less debt after you graduate. Its also a GREAT transition going to a smaller school. Another thing I would have told myself is take challenging classes in high school to ready yourself for college. I know that it is so hard to try as a senior because you are so ready to graduate but once again in the end it will be worth it. And the third thing. GET INVOLVED! It is so important to have extra curricular activities under your belt and to step out and try new things! College is such a transition period and an indicator of your future life and starting earlier with good habits will help make you even more successful in the end!

I would advise myself to not take the year off after high school. I took this route and it led to me being out of school for five years and entering back into school was extremely difficult especially with a 4 year old boy. I would tell myself that I am going to have to work harder and focus because there I only have myself to push me to go to class, complete assignments and study for exams. I would most likely tell myself to apply to universities in different states that way I could experience what life is like in a different part of the country. I would also stress not to be influenced by others. Peer pressure is hard to overcome but almost always leads to disaster. I would make sure that I know I am going to have to be strong, stick to my morals and beliefs and remember what my parents have taught me throughout life about the world and the evils that exist in it. I would also tell my high school self to choose a career that she is going to love and will help to make a difference in the world.

If I had the opportunity to speak to myself as a high school senior, I would have so much to say!! The biggest thing I would want to share with myself regarding the transition to college life would be to take it all seriously, but to find ways to enjoy it, too. Coming to college as an eighteen year old, I was so young and so naïve. Finding a way to pay for college then seemed impossible. It has been a much tougher road as I have worked to complete my degree as an adult while raising my children, and if I could go back and talk to myself back then, I would want to make it clear how much easier things would be if I could find a way to balance the financial challenges and keep working at my degree then, rather than coming back later. Although I thought I had financial hurdles then, they were nothing compared to what I have had to overcome now. If only I could have seen the road ahead then, I would have done so many things differently, and that is what I would want my high school self to know.

Jakob

I have a couple things that I wish I would have done. One would be to study more. I had terrible study habits that started in my freshman year and slightly carried over into college until I stopped it. During my senior year, I had the least amount of classes in a school year ever. Although I did pass all my classes, I should've aced every one of my classes considering all the free time I had. Another was to retake the ACT. My first time I took the ACT, I got an 18. Just barely enough in my view and I wanted to retake it. Even though I did schedule for another, there was a blizzard this day and was rescheduled. Unfortunately, I had to work on the day and could not attend. I ended up getting too caught up in working and was unable to sign up for another day which I very much regret. Finally, I would tell myself to be more available to work during the summer and save more of the money I do earn. I don’t think I saved enough from this summer to last me the rest of the school year.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to take academic scholarships more seriously and enjoy quality time with my friends. Going to college is a big commitment and expensive, spending a large amount of money is foolish when there are so many different varieties of scholarships offered. By taking time to both search and apply for multiple scholarships, college can become a little easier on finances. I would also advise my senior self to cherish the time I had left with my high school friends. Seinor year is a fun and important time in everyone's life and sharing those moments with friends makes it even better.

I would tell myself to learn how to study better and to not procrastinate. I would also tell my self to not be so shy when first starting college and to meet more people during my first year.

Richard, don't be scared about going to a community college. I know most of you're friends are going to a big university but you need to do whats right for you. This isn't high school anymore. You have to make your own path and decide your own future. Dont rely on anyone to make your decisions. Try speaking up more in class, because you weren't very social in high school. What im trying to tell you is very simple. You have the capabilities to be very successful but you lack the confidence. "The greatest risk in life is not taking one". (Crawford) Theres a wide variety of people in college and they can help you learn better than some of the professors. I made the mistake of being shy in class and not talking to these people before it was too late. Don't be scared, be confident, look up when you walk, talk to people in your classes, and most importantly have fun. If you want to finish your degree in four years thats fine, but dont rush. I wasn't very social, so I spent most of my days over studying, manage your time!

Advice to high school Marissa from college Marissa: Set a goal for a 4.0 GPA. It’s ok to ask for help and take advantage of tutors’ assistance. Questions are meant to be asked so ask them. Categorize school materials/projects that could aid in the success for college. Listen to teachers’ lectures because beyond the material required to be taught are pieces of life advice woven in their words. Learn to balance work, grades and extra curriculars because all three grow maturity when achieved. Create a web of connections because it will grow into resources for the future. Allocate a percentage of paycheck for college expenses. Manage earned money well. Attend garage sales and ask family members for household items not in use that could be used to stock a college dorm. Explore future career interest by job shadowing or volunteering. Start a journal of college goals that will lead to a career. Play a role in your community by coaching, city cleanup, or writing an editorial. Spend time at the library and use its vast resources. Read more literature. Commit to using new vocabulary. Take care of yourself emotionally, physically, spiritually so as to be healthy.

Regan

"CALM DOWN!" I was so scared for college! I was sure I'd forget something or it would be too hard or I wouldn't make any friends. I would tell myself "Relax, college is SO MUCH better than high school. If you work hard, you'll do fine. People in college are way more friendly than in high school- don't fret. Just go into with a positive attitude."

If I could talk to myself as a senior, I would tell myself three things. First of all, I would tell myself to really focus on my schoolwork. The habits that we create in high school, while they work great in high school, do not carry over well into college. Transitioning into the new workload could be so much less of a hassle if you get into positive habits now. Secondly, I would tell myself to listen to my teachers. I never realized how wise my teachers were until I was out of high school. I will find myself in a situation and remember my teacher talking exactly about this the year before. They really do know what they are talking about. Weird, eh? Last but definitely not least, I would tell myself to have a lot of fun. I worked a part-time job my junior and senior year. While it was nice to have extra spending cash, I realize that those were the last two real years of my childhood. I would tell myself to relax and enjoy the comfort of not having bills to pay. Enjoy the simplicity of high school before it’s gone.

Meggan

If I could go back in time and be a senior in high school again I would do many things over. I would have worked harder at raising my GPA. Your GPA makes all the difference when you apply to a school. The transition from high school to college can be challenging. Once in college you gain so much freedom that it can be overwhelming at times. As a student you must learn to manage your time. Investing in planner is the best thing that I've found that helps you to keep track of your schedule. Write down every little thing that you might need to keep up with because you will be amazed of all of the things that will slip away from you even when you have it wrote down right in front of you. The college pace is too fast for you to be forgetting things. There is no option for late work. An assignment is either done on time or not done at all. Lastly do NOT allow yourself to procrastinate! Procrastination will be a college students worst enemy especially through the first year of college. Stay focused and work hard for what YOU want.

As I am nearing the end of my junior year of college, I have decided to leave South Dakota State University to attend Dakota State University in Madison, SD. I chose SDSU because my older sister was in attendance there and I looked up to her. I was not really sure what I wanted to pursue as a senior in high school, so I decided that because SDSU was in-state, it would have reasonable tuition and my sister would be there for support. SDSU was the only school I applied to during my senior year. Looking back, I really wish I would have looked into other schools and their programs. Honestly, I did not do much research about what SDSU actually had to offer, other than a nice campus. If I could tell myself one piece of helpful information, it would be to not choose a school because of family or friends. It is important to make sure the school offers programs of interest if you are unsure of your major so you do not waste your time and money on something that is not beneficial to your future.

The most vital piece of advice that I would give myself, assuming I could go back in time, is to not allow the daily frustrations of image-based issues and other people's stubborn views allow yourself to become frustrated with your own situation. I would also emphasize to spend less time complaining about things, and more time building something that you know you can gain fulfillment out of upon completion.

kessa

If I could go back in time & talk to myself when I was in high school, I would have a few things to say… First, live with intention. Choose your school with purpose, not just one that is closest to home. What is the school’s mission & values? How is it going to prepare you for life, not just for the tests? Second, if you start college & don’t have a major tell yourself this, “It’s okay!”. The first year of college is full of basic courses required by almost any major; you don’t have to commit to a major on your first day. If you do, it will probably change anyway, if it does, awesome! College is about more than just classes, it’s about planning for your life. Third, once you do choose a major, choose without regret! Be fully committed & passionate about the study you plan to pursuit. Never do anything halfway, if you are going to do it be the best at it, whether it’s being an English teacher or an astronaut. Forth, relish every second. Don’t waste time worrying about the future, before you know it, college will be a memory.

Chase

If I could go back in time, I would tell myself to save more money for college. All of the little things that are needed for school tend to add up quickly and it would be nice to have some extra money lying around. I would also tell myself to become more involved in campus activities earlier on. Activities such as joining clubs, attending plays, miscellaneous activities around campus, or even looking into joining a fraternity are all things that I would tell myself if I would be able to go back in time. I'd also remind myself that college life isn't like what is portrayed in movies, and just all parties. There's a lot of studying to do, and a lot of time management that is needed. Getting priorities straight is very important, and sometimes difficult to do when trying to maintain a social life as well as doing well in clases.

The advice that I would give myself, is that I would need to try harder on my test and taking the necessary steps to look for more scholarships to help my funding. Also, take the ap classes that are available at my High school, so when I go to college I would be able to take other classes that i would want to take for my major. Also, being more invovled in the community around me and learning how to take notes better and different ways to studying.

Carla

The experience of a community college is not like a normal university to where you have a lot of time with students around you because of the schedules one decides. My experience at Lonestar community college was very unexpected because I learned a lot from my professors, I did not have much of a social life to distract me from my studies, I had plenty of attention from my professors for when I needed help, and my schedule with school and work was beyond the best combination. So I would have to say it was very enjoyable and the number thing that I valued from going to this college was the amount of attention the professors are willing to give to their students.

Devon

While I cannot say that an education was my biggest benifet from college, the experience was worth the time I put in. The most important thing I learned was to only take on loans if you absolutely need them and never borrow more than you can pay back. While many people say college is an investment, you have to be careful with the risk you take. Also, take more classes that you want to take, even if it isn't specific to your major. Looking back, I wish I would have taken some art classes. College is your opportunity to experience as much as possible, because once you are finished, real life takes over.

Asia

Before making the decision to attend the community college I am currently enrolled in, I did in fact go to a 4 year institution for a semester. I was unable to stay, do to expenses of on campus living that my grants and scholarships were unable to cover. I learned a great deal in that one semester I was there. I was on my own; I made decisions that affected my life whether it is educationally, or socially. I found out very quickly that college was not easy, and over time it would just get more difficult. I am thankful for that experience, because I can appreciate the many nights I stayed up doing homework and studying without some telling me to do so. College allows a young adult to truly experience independence and make crucial life decisions. I would not be the independent young woman I am today without attending college. I now work and attend a community college this semester, looking forward to transferring the following semester.

My college experience so far has exposed me to different thoughts and ways of doing things. This has come not only from instructors and professors but also other students. I was raised in a rural community and although State is also in a rural area it is in another part of the state where socio-economic factors and culture differ from my home. Some of the things I have been exposed to have been of great value. Although I worked all through high school, I have a great deal more independence and have to be more disciplined than when I was at home. While this is not a 'function' of my education, it is a life lesson that will guide me the rest of my life. Finally, the most important thing I have received so far from my education is learning to develop new relationships. Many of my friends growing up have gone to other universities and so I have had to reach out to new people and form a new circle of friends. This skill is important in networking which will be valuable after I graduate.

Mercedes

It is valuable for me to attend college, and further my educatin because noone in my family had a Bachelor's degree. While in college I learned that college is a lot harder than high school and you have to make yourself have time to study. i work two jobs and attend college full time, and i struggle in school a little bit because i have no time to study. So scholarships are important to me and my furhtering in college.

Lily

There is nothing more valuable than a college education. It can provide career opportunities, financial support, and experiences that cannot be achieved anywhere else. The most important skills I have learned in college are for my future career. I have acquired knowledge about the structure and function of the human body and learned how to identify disease causing organisms. Math has provided the skills essential for making accurate dosages for patients. While working with others in labs I have learned the importance of teamwork. Teamwork is very important for a nurse because there are many health professionals that I will need to work with to ensure the health of patients. As well as the career experiences and valuable education I have gained skills that help me be an independent adult. I have learned how to be more responsible while attending college. By attending college I have learned time management skills such as getting to class on time and spreading out course work so that I get everything done. I have also gained a better sense of the community through community service. College has provided me with many beneficial and valuable experiences that will help me in me future career, nursing.

I have gotten many valuable things from attending South Dakota State University. First, I have learned how to deal with the large amounts of stress that come with pressure from school work and activities. Reducing stress meant letting go of things that were not important to me. Overall, it helped create a new set of personal values. Second, I have learned how to manage my time. In high school, my mom made sure everything was done. When I started college, no one guided me through the day. Instead, I had to manage my time and guide myself through the day to get things done. Finally, I have learned how to accept people for who they are. Throughout my college experience, I have worked with people from multiple backgrounds and ethnicities. I learned to see the world through their eyes and accept them for who they are. Basically, they taught me not to judge people. Overall, college has taught me many valuable lessons that I will keep with me for the rest of my life.

I was never the most popular kid in high school. I attended a small school, and didn't really fit in. When I went to SDSU in the Fall of 2009, I instantly found my niche. Finally I got to be around friends from rodeo and FFA! Attending classes at SDSU has helped me fruther develop my passion for agriculture. Through my classes, I have learned more about Animal Agriculture and different careers that I can get with my Animal Science major. We also learn about how to advocate for agriculture and tell the world the story of food production, which is something I hope to find a career in. Several leadership opportunites have also presented themselves to me over the past two years, like becoming a State Post Secondary Agriculture Students officer. This opportunity has increased my self confidence and leadership skills, and I plan to run for National Office this February. All in all SDSU is a home away from home, and its a place where everyone can find friends, a passion and expand the skills they already possess.

I have gotten alot out of my college experience so far. I have learned that I have to step out and to not be shy around my friends and professors. By me stepping out and talking to people I have learned to not be shy and to ask for help when needed. I have had fun learning more than I did in high school which will help me get further in getting my degree for becoming a nurse.

Connie

The number oen thing that I have gotten out of school thus far, is the expantion of knowledge. I have not made any real friends, I mostly keep to myself. When around the community , I recognize the teachers, not other students. I am sure that I could try harder to meet new people, but when your interests are so different from others, it makes it harder. I hate the fact that students are checking email, texting, facebooking all while in class. I hate it. If it was up to me, no phones would be allowed on in classrooms. I do like the work and the classroom atmosphere. My academic advisor is really great and very helpful. I feel that I have found my purpose. When I decided i needed to go to collge was when my husband left me and my daughter. I needed to get a degree so that I could support us. I was undecided going in, but after taking a Lifespan class, my freshmen year, I knew what I wanted, and everyday when I leave my children behind I know that it is to better our lives. I would never leave them for anything else!

While attending SDSU, the values of hard work and determination have definately been reinforced in everyday life. I have been challenged to do my best and succeed. I have had some tough classes but, with the help of my professors and acedemic advisor, and encouragement from family and friends, I have always found a way to make it through those obstacles. I know that the things I am learning now will stick with me for life and help me later on when I am completely out in the real world. Attending college at an institution like this has opened many doors for me and I know that when I leave here I will be ready to face whatever issues may come up. I have have met amazing people and learned many things that have helped mold me into the person I am now. It has been an great experience that I am very thankful to have and look forward to continuing it for the rest of my college career. I encourage everyone to continue on to college so that they can be exposed to all the wonderful things it has to offer and to make a difference in their lives.

Donald

I have gotten to meet many different people, and it has given me a chance to rediscover what I have previously learned during high school and vocational school that I may have forgotten from lack of use.

So far in my college experience I have done many things that a typical sophomore may not be able to do. I have been academically committed and stayed focused on school, while being very involved on campus. I am a member of Alpha Lambda Delta, an Honors Society on campus, and I regularly get involved in activities pertaining to it. Sometimes these are hard to keep balanced, but I have done very well so far. While keeping my GPA up I have been and Orientation Leader and a Community Assistant on campus. Being an Orientation leader has built my pubic speaking skills and I have made friends with many of my fellow Orientation Leaders. Being a Community Assistant has definitely helped me in developing my skills as a member of a team as well as teaching me time management skills.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I wouldn't really say too much different. As a senior I was really looking forward to getting away from home and meeting new people in a new place. I would tell myself to do more of that when I actually got to the school. When you play a sport, it is really easy to settle in with your teammates and not make many "non-athlete" friends. I would tell myself to make friends in classes that weren't in a sport. One thing I would like to tell myself would be to keep connections with friends back home. It will make it more enjoyeable over breaks to come home. I would also advise myself to never underestimate a good diet and sleep! I would also promise myself that its possible and more rewarding to find friends that have the same outlook on school as you and who don't emphasize alcohol in their lives. It will be easier to achieve your dream when you are not catching up on sleep and getting rid of a hangover on the weekends!

Camille

Knowing what I know now, going to a school out of state is the way to go. I have been home on Christmas Break and realized that the people who stayed in-state for school haven't grown up as much as I have. Being alone forces you to take responsability for yourself. In the beginning it is hard, but i believe that if you can get through the first month, college can be a great experience. School is hard, but it isn't impossible. Having the strength to be able to do the work on your own is so rewarding. It is an amazing experience and i wouldn't change it for the world. Good Luck

Kristofer

I would advise myself as a college student now to crack down on the books and learn better study habits. It would have been a good idea to have a harder senior year and taken the AP calculus class offered in high school. Instead of taking it slower my last year of high school I should of been preparing me more for college life as it is a big transition. There are no worksheets or other ways to earn points it is almost strictly exams only in college. I should have learned how to take tests and quizzes better to increase my performance in college.

Dear Ashley, There are a few words of advice that I have for you in your transition from high school to college; Firstly, start walking, you are in no way prepared for the amount of walking you are about to do. Second, enjoy the good food now, there may be a common area that serves food attached to your dorm but it is not very tasty. Third, don't for a second think that college will be as easy as high school, because it is NOTHING like high school. Teachers don't tell you about your assignments you just have to know, and the tests are way harder. And the final thing I have to say to you is to be true to yourself, don't lose who you are, because you are an amazing person!!!

Athena

The first thing I would tell my self is to join as many clubs and organizations as possible and not to be afraid to run for the leadership positions. They offer great experience for later in life and they give you a greater chance of being accepted by golleges, scholarship committees, and employers. The second thing would probably be to not be shy, get out there and talk to people. Make friends, the more friends you have the easier the transition will be. Next, is to take every opportunity you can find to gain experience in your area of interest, this experience might be what gets you the job you want or the scholarships you need. Finally, I would tell myself to NEVER slack off or procrastinate. These are the worst habits you can have in college, and the sooner you break them, the more successful you will be. College can be fun and doesn't have to be terribly stressful, just get out and have fun, get involved, and most importantly get your work done on time without waiting till the last minute.

Leaving home may not be the easiest thing, but through it all, you learn a lot about yourself. Don't be afraid to reach out to people for help. Get involved. You'll meet the best people that way. Also, don't be so stuck on your major that you have planned when you enter college. It can change and it's okay if it does. Be aware of what's going on around you; don't just stick to one group of people- broaden your horizons. Your webcam will be your best friend when you want to talk to your friends back home. Also, always keep a spare ink cartridge around, because it'll always happen- you'll run out of ink the day that big paper is due. College is one of the greatest adventures of your life, don't let it pass you by.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a senior in High School I would say that "When things look tough, know that others individuals around you are going through things that are more than you can even imagine. There are people all around you that want to help as long as you let them help, and never be afraid to help others as well. You will feel overwhelmed but college is only getting you ready for life and opening your eyes to new things. Live life to the fullest and make sure to take risks, try new things, and have fun because college is an experience you don't forget. Enjoy college because it is a new chapter in your life that will go by faster than you think. You never know what new things you are going to do or learn." -Brittany

Look at all of the different majors, student activities, future job opportunities, and meet more with faculty. Check out as many different colleges or universities as possible.

Rheana

Well first, I would tell myself to never live with my best friend! It is nice having someone so close to me to always be there, but it might be better if she was two doors down the dorm hallway. Getting out and meeting new people is very important, not just hanging out with the old crowd from high school, though those people will always be my friends, it is good to meet new people! Next I would tell myself to join some groups, that is another great way to meet people, but also to have a lot of fun, plus it looks good on transcripts, applications, and resumes! Oh, and to not get so much flex dollars to the cafeteria because you'll get sick of that food fast! But what I think is most important, spend a lot more time studying! That is why you are here! To learn and get a degree so before you go out, do some studying!