South Dakota State University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for South Dakota State University

Kenyatta

The cheerleading team is good and I am interested in that.

South Dakota State is a great place to get an education while making memories for a lifetime. There are several options for on campus housing, and the food options are quite appetizing. All of my encounters with professors have been positive thus far. While academics are important to the majority of students, they know how to have a good time when their work is done.

Emmy

It's a great campus and very easy to walk to all of your classes. If you're looking for a college with a beautiful campus great traditions SDSU is the place for you. Just remember we are the school with the #1 homecoming aka HOBO DAY.

Morgan

I loved my time at South Dakota State. The programs available are various and well rounded and there are a huge variety of people to get to know and love. While attending, my opportunities were endless as far as academic support, community interaction, activities, and so much more. State is such a great place to be. I highly recommend it to all.

Angela

SDSU is a definitely a great school with a beautiful campus. The teachers really want students to do well in their classes and during their office hours they are willing to help you. You will find a lot of the same people in all your classes so getting to know them will be worthwhile.

Abigail

I loved going to SDSU. The staff was very helpful and they helped make sure that each student would achieve their dreams of becoming what they went to school for. The resources where there to be found and the study help was useful. The class sizes could be too big sometimes and some students didn't seem to care to go to class. Overall, the school was enjoying to go too and to get a degree.

Leah

I absolutely love SDSU. The professor's are very easy to talk to and do what they can to help students thrive and succeed in their academic career. I feel that I can go to them with any question I may have and they respond quickly to your concerns. Classes are very informative and well put together and if I have questions or don't understand something in their lectures or powerpoint I will ask them and they help me to understand what is being asked and what the lecture is all about.

Kyrin

SDSU is an excellent college and I'm proud to attend. You meet someone new every day. People take pride in SDSU, and it doesn't take long for someone to see why. For once, the Arts aren't left out, and we still have a remarkable football stadium. The professors care about educating their students, and help when you need it. Not a fan of the price tag that some amenities require, but that's every college. It feels like a home away from home.

I love SDSU! The environment is very welcoming, and everything is right there on your fingertips. You can usually ask anyone where something is and they will point you in the right direction! I am having a great time being a JACK! Many faculty are open to helping students when needed, and want everyone to succeed.

Jacob

State is an exceptional school with great professors and advisors. The food on campus is standard, and the events hosted by the campus are exceptional. It's a great school overall, it could use a few inprovements as any school should, but overall it's fabulous.

Claire

There are good academics with lots of opportunities for help. The on-campus​ housing is good but off-campus housing is lacking. There are not many food options, especially healthy food options. There is almost nothing to do on weekends so most people go home or party, also on the weekends there are very little food options.

Britta

It is a good campus. The faculty I have been in contact with care about my academic future. My only regret is that SDSU does not offer more majors geared towards the Humanities. My major, Art History, is indeed rare for a school in South Dakota, but other majors are also not being represented well enough. I know of several students who wish they could see their passions turn into careers, but are limited to the resources provided to them.

Elisebeth

I like it here. School can be rough, and there have definitely been some days were I just wanted to go home. But I have stuck it out and made some great friends here! I live about an hour and 15 minutes away, so it's a short and easy drive back to my parents place. State FFA was held here each year I was in high school, so I already knew parts of campus when I arrived. My favorite part of campus here is the ice cream shop. They have the best grasshopper fudge flavored ice cream!

Tiadra

Overall I love going to SDSU, we have a beautiful campus with plenty of grassy areas that if it is nice out it is not uncommon for people to hang up hammocks and study. The average student is friendly and there are always people willing to form study groups or help out a fellow classmate.

When visiting South Dakota State University I feel very excited to begin my educational journey in Pharmaceutical Sciences. The professors are all very accommodating when you need help. Along with this, the campus is very safe, and I feel I do not need to worry about being scared while walking around.

Mckayla

South Dakota State University has become Home to me, I have grown to love SDSU and the surrounding community in a way i would have never thought I fit in perfectly and have loved getting involved on and off campus. I Definitely recommend becoming a jackrabbit :)

Kathlene

South Dakota State University offers a magnitude of tools to help students succeed. From free tutoring, resource rooms for students to seek out help on difficult subjects, and professors with a love of helping their students SDSU is dedicated to seeing its students succeed. Advisors and career coaches are also there to help uncertain students choose a major and career path that best suits them.

Shannon fern

SDSU is a relatively small school in a really small town. Because of this there are not a lot of people, not a lot of places to go, and not a lot of things to do. However, there are a lot of great research opportunities and the staff here are really great. Also, it's super cheap!

MaryEllen

South Dakota State Unversity is such a great school. The people are friendly, the faculty is super helpful, and the campus is beautiful. There is so much Jackrabbit pride all year round, but especially during the fall with football and Hobo Day. But the real draw to SDSU is the lasting friendships you will make at this school. Go Jacks!

KELSEY

I love school here at South Dakota State University. But there is always room for improvement! Some areas of improvement include: Campus Dining- Larson needs better food, We NEED more healthy options Wellness center needs later hours and less reserved times for elderly in the mornings

Mariah

South Dakota State University is great university when comparing the quality to cost. SDSU is generally more affordable than other universities in South Dakota and Nebraska (where I'm originally from) but that doesn't mean quality is sacrificed. Not only are the academics and professors great, but the campus is also beautiful and the grounds are well-kept. There is a club for almost everything, from political beliefs to religion to clubs dedicated to various majors or minors. Also, despite Brookings being a small town in rural South Dakota, SDSU and Brookings alike are very diverse. Students from all over the world study at SDSU and SDSU offers many multicultural organizations/classes/and clubs. All around, SDSU is a great university for being in rural South Dakota. It has a nice campus, with great classes, and a diverse population without piling up too much student loan debt.

Tessa

I really love this college, so far everything has been wonderful. I love my dorm and how friendly everyone is, you just leave your door open and you will soon have some people saying hello. The professors here really care about your learning as well, they will make time to meet with you if you are having difficulty understanding the material. There are also many clubs and activities to do here as well, such as the Little International to Intramural sports. The wellness center is a big plus as well, since there is so many things you can do there from the treadmill, to group classes, to a swimming pool. Overall, this school is amazing and has extremely nice people here. I would recommend this school to anyone.

Rena

I enjoy going there. I have met some of my best friends and couldn’t see myself at any other college. It is a very conservative school, which I was expecting, just not to the extent I have experienced. Overall though, it is a great college. I am studying pre-pharmacy with minors in Spanish and Health Communications. I like the feeling of living in a college town on a set campus, instead of living in a city that happens to also have a University. Many of the dorms are new and nicer than most other colleges, however the older ones are quite the opposite.

Great atmosphere, sports, classes, professors.

James

South Dakota State University is a good college with a variety of majors. The best university in South Dakota. The athletics are competative in their leagues. Campus is safe with minimum incidents. There is a diversity of choices to eat on campus, but the cafeteria food could improve. Professors are engaged in their teaching, while the class sizes stay smaller for state universities. Parties are most of the events that occur on the weeked, but are not raging out of control. Brookings is a small town with some of the bigger corporations available. SDSU is a good school that will give a person a great college experience.

Cheyenne

I think South Dakota State University is a great place to grow and find yourself. I have made some of by best, life-long friends here. I have been here for 4 years now. I appreciate how large the school is, but at the same time you still get that small town feel from the Brookings community. You cannot beat football season here at SDSU. No better place to spend a Fall Saturday than at tailgating!! Go blue, Go Jacks!

Caitlyn

South Dakota Sate University is a fun college to be at. If you grow up in South Dakota you are bound to know a ton of people that go there. It is a very big college so the class sized can get big and non-personal. This can be hard when trying to connect with the professors. My adviser was very nice but didn't have much time for me as she has such a heavy workload. When you did get into the small classes it is nice because you start to know all your co-students. I still have a bunch of friends that I make in class even though it has been a couple of years since I have been there. Over all it is a good school to go to if you can control your amount of distractions like partying and games and hanging out with friends.

Tricia

I grew up knowing I was going to SDSU. I love the college I love the size of the town it's in, its perfect for me. Also the opportunities that the town offers are beyond amazing. I currently work at Daktronics and getting real world experience and will be able to work there upon graduation. If your looking for a small town feel with a big school this is the one. Not to big not to small.

Symmone

I believe it is a wonderful school with plenty of opportunities. It's a larger school but still maintains that small-college/ small-town feel. The community is kind and receptive to students, and the professors are great people. There's usual something to do on the weekends, and it's pretty easy to meet new people.

Cassandra

South Dakota State is a smaller campus with lots of oppurtunities for growth. The faculty members are always helpful and willing to teach. At my short time here I feel as if I have grown both intellectually and culturally. State is definitely a campus worth visiting on a college trip.

Alex

South Dakota State University is a great campus being friendly, clean, and enjoyable. There are many events to attend on campus including football games, concerts, and many more. South Dakota is a wildlife oriented state, but there are still plenty of things to do.

Melanie

South Dakota State University is a good place to study. I am in a program that does not receive as much accreditation but it is very good. Sports are often favored and our money is spent on athletics which is unfortunate for those geared solely towards academics. However, there are very intellectual people here and if you are able to find the right bunch you really get what you are looking for from this environment.

sarah

it is a very wonderful school, I'm impressed. The professors are always here to help. No form of bullying, discrimination or Racism. diversity is embraced here. when you're different people want to know and they seem happy knowing. when you're tired or stressed there's someone who comes to say are you fine? do you help?. The C.A'S are wonderful especially Abby and Anah. I love it here.

Alyssa

I think that overall this university is wonderful! They provide a lot of fun on campus events and opportunities. They are also academically balanced and provide a good source of education. I really enjoy the friendly environment this university provides as well. I've always felt welcome and at home at SDSU.

Tessa

South Dakota State University has been my dream school ever since the sixth grade, I have heard so many good things about it. One of the things I have heard is that they really prepare you for the real world and there are so many people and faculty there that will help you get to the career you inspire. So far the comments before I went to college and what I heard back in the sixth grade have been true. Every one at SDSU is very considerate and will help you with anything. The college students are very friendly and you can trust them. Dining on campus has to be one of the best around for college foods because there is so much to choose from. Housing is amazing they have all kinds of activities for us to enjoy and our CA's are so friendly. So far SDSU has been a very compelling college and I cant wait for the next three years to make lots of memories with my friends.

Braden

South Dakota State University is a great institution for absolutely anyone. Being a college in the Midwest, you can always expect to see a friendly face everywhere you go. The facilities and food available on campus are outstanding, and the community of Brookings always has events for college students to partake in. It is an amazing bigger town with a small town atmosphere.

Reilly

As I finish up my freshman year at SDSU I am proud to say I am very happy with my choice to attend this University. I have an excellent advisor in the agriculture department that I work with who has helped me choose the direction I want to go with my major and minor degrees. I have set goals and mapped out my time here at SDSU to help fulfill my goals. SDSU is a mid size campus with a home town feel. The staff, professors and students are all extremely friendly, helpful, and accomodating. It makes a student feel welcome and relaxed. Expecations are set high at SDSU and they expect students to work hard but they have a great attitude and resources to make sure every student is successful. There are many things to do and get involved in at SDSU, a student should never be bored. The city of Brookings is a great town to live in and for an outdoorsman like myself. I have made many friends and we love to fish and hunt. I am excited to continue my education at SDSU this summer/fall and see what other opportunities will be available to me.

Jade

SDSU provides the perfect amount of fun activities students are able to participate in, but also takes academics very seriously. The individuals who live on campus are normally friendly. The only problem I can think of on the top of my head is that the cafeteria food could be improved upon.

jacob

it is a great place and feels like home and I don't feel like a number like other schools I visited and the school is set up to provide a top notch education for your lifes work. Every one at the school is there to help in any way to make your collage life some thing to remember.

Mariah

I love going to school at South Dakota State University! They have a great Agricultural program, Pharmacy program, and Nursing program. It is an extremely safe campus and everyone here gets along very well. There is tons of student involvement , with many clubs and activities to participate in.

Mariah

I believe it is a very safe, and caring campus. Visiting this campus makes me get a “home-like” feel and that’s what people should want in a university. SDSU has a safe environment and so much to do for any person out there. Everybody has their differences, but at SDSU, this is no problem.

Mackenzie

It is a great place to learn and grow into your career. It is the biggest university in South Dakota so the class sizes are pretty big but other then that SDSU is the perfect place to study anything especially nursing as it is the best nursing school in the state.

Sydney

South Dakota State University is a wonderful place to learn, grow, and become your own person. There are many opportunities to meet new friends, yet it is still super easy to keep any old ones. The college life is awesome, full of engaging student opportunities.

Rachael

I love the campus here. It feels like home away from home. The environment here is very friendly. The professors are always there when you need them. I feel like I belong here. It is a great college that I enjoy being here. The food is really great here.

Anna

When I drove onto South Dakota's campus i was immediately in love. I love the environment and the town that it is in! I think that it is incredibly pretty and there are many things to do. There are a lot of things to be involved in and i think that that is so wonderful. I am extremely excited to attend this beautiful college next fall!

Nichole

South Dakota State University is a pretty average school. Their academics and facilities are also pretty average as well. As a current student, one of my favorite things about South Dakota State is the student life. There are new people to meet and I'm proud to be a Jackrabbit!

Abigail

I love South Dakota for many reasons but SDSU makes you feel like family the moment you set foot on campus. They want you there and they don't play any games about it; they are truthful and extremely knowledgable. SDSU is the place to be and they treat us all like people not just a number like other large schools.

Cody

South Dakota State University is a school that has been slept on, although it is growing very fast. The staff and faculty members listen very intently to what the students want and need and make sure that their needs are taken care of. For example, the faculty listened to the students when they wanted a new performing arts center and guess what - they built a multi-million dollar PEC. The dedication to the students and helping them feel comfortable is one of the best feelings about attending school here.

Heidi

I think that South Dakota State University is an extraordinary school, education and campus included. I've stayed on campus many times with my older sister in her dorm, and I always feel safe and at home. I've also been taking classes online and I really enjoy the communication between students and professors. The staff at SDSU really care about the education they're giving their students.

Alison

The campus is very large and has a lot of diversity. There are majors of all sorts, in fact; SDSU is the only school in South Dakota that has an Interior Design program. There are so many different activities that you can participate in. They have a building called the "Barn", that is mainly used for inter mural sports. There are two different options for food there. Blocks and flex money and blocks you use one every time you check in, and can eat all you can from that period you're there. When flex is used a the Student Union it is truly like a mall food court, so many options. I have an overall great feeling at attending this school in the fall of 2020.