Avon Park, FL
South Florida State College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend South Florida State College

Layali

It is a great college for students living in Highlands County. It has the same classes and activities like any other university, just smaller and cheaper. It is a great size for students that do not like huge campuses and I believe that it is a great start for students who are also willing to transfer! I prefer just to take the two years at South Florida and then transfer to finish off your degrees at a University.

I love this school, it is an easy way to go to college without having to worry or stress about everything you do when attending a major university! I would recommend this college to anyone who does not feel that they are ready for the huge university leap. The staff and teachers are always very helpful and are always there for what you need! I wish they had more activities such as a competitive basketball, lacrosse team or even things like a dance team, since that’s one of my passions, I think it would help bring more activity to the campus life!

Shauna

Personally, I loved South Florida State College. I took my collegiate classes at the Avon Park and Hardee campuses. All my professors were very knowledgeable about what they were teaching and allowed us to do things on our own. I enjoyed that the professors did not hold our hands and let us sink or swim. The experiences there have only helped me grow and be prepared university.

Sophia

SFSC was a great school to start off at, because it’s has small class size. For first timer, you won’t get too overwhelmed; yet you’ll still get the experience of being an university. Because of the small class, the teachers are better able to assist the students individually. The teachers also have set office hours and numbers that can be used to reach them. If that doesn’t work with you’re schedule, you can feel free to call them, and they’ll set up a time that works. Everything was easy to get onboard with, and it was overall a great experience.

Katie

South Florida State College is a great transition for those who want a college education but who do not wish to pay a fortune or be far from home. The professors are super supportive and are very much available for any questions students may have. I think this college overall is a great solution for students who wish to have smaller class sizes and help from their professors.

While I am only a dual enrollment student at SFSC, I feel as though I have been able to expierence it’s full aspect. There is no housing and since I am dual enrollment I do not have a major. This campus allows students to connect with other students and teachers.

Alexa

I love going to SFSC, not only is it near my hometown but it takes me 15 minutes to get there and to get home. They have the convenience for the time of classes that are needed for me and not to mention counselors who know you so well and are able to help you know what classes are best for you. Also the ease of online classes when not able to take classes on campus.

Brooke

I have gained a change in perspective from my college experience. My Master's program is held at a small Christian school, with a very supportive intimate group that has quickly become my family. The things I am learning has reminded me why I went for a degree in teaching years ago, before the economy created a teacher hiring freeze in my area. Working at a hotel to pay the bills while being rejected from instructor interviews time after time was slowly killing my spirit. My heart belongs in a classroom, whether I am a teacher or a student. Returning to school gave me the courage to follow my heart and take a leap of faith. With the support and prayers from my teachers and peers, I quit my hotel job. Before the Master's, I did not have the strength or the trust in my own heart to make a life altering choice like that. On top of the change of perspective, I am gaining confidence as a teacher and leader. I am proud of my current college experience, and grateful for the lessons I am learning that go beyond the textbooks.

The worst thing here is the lack of communication...They lost my transcripts for the AA program several times trying to get them to the University Center building on the same campus.

This is wonderful for any student, there are four year degrees offered as well as the traditional AA. The small classes, caring instructors, and variety of activities make it more attractive than a large school. I went to both New York and D.C. with clubs I belonged to while there. People who love an intimate class experience will love to attend this school.

Bethany

It is a local community college which offers a wide variety of educational courses to the community--including Lifetime Learners and community education classes.

This was my only choice for obtaining my A.A. I am dual-enrolled and this local community college is offering me a high school and college education.

First, I would recommend to any Junior or Senior to enroll in the Dual-Enrollment program. This would make the transition from high school to college quicker and easier on the student. High schoolers would not only be able to experience college life on a part-time basis, but it would also give them a head start on college requirements. I would also encourage them to keep a calander of due dates. I would strongly suggest the student work ahead as much as possible. I would tell them to talk to their professors if they have any problems or questions. Most teachers are very helpful and encourage students to seek their help.

Caitlyn

The adivce that I would give myself, traveling back in time would be not to take high school for granted. Passing classes is easy but getting straight A's, maintaining those A's and actually taking the time to learn and grow from the lessons you learn in classes in high school are more valuable then you think. I would tell myself to focus more on school, on getting better grades, and actually applying myself to getting scholarships and better SAT scores for Bright Futures. I would tell myself to not procrastinate about turning assignments in and studying for tests at the last minute; learning better studying habits will really help you in the future not only on tests but on research papers and other assignments because working on an assignment ahead of time would ensure yourself on getting that A you deserve and that you know you could get. Another tip would be managing your time more wisely. Instead of going out with your friends every weekend make extra study time for school. In the end, all of this will truly help, you...us...me in college and my future!

The kind of person that should attend SFCC is a person that has motivation, drive, commitment and hard-working to prove that if they can make it here they can make it anywhere. Attending SFCC gives students the chance to expand their dreams. With a good selection of courses to choose from and financial aid are provided to students who WANT to make something of themselves; for those students who want a career or want to go to a different University they make the choices to start somewhere instead of letting the opportunity pass them by after High School.

The kind of person that shouldn't attend this school is a person who isn't going to put forth effort in class. A person that doesn't put forth effort doesn't show that they really want to make a difference or better themselves in their future. People shouldn't take SFCC for granted because they provide you with opportunity to learn an grow to give you that opening for your future career.

South Florida State College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.