McAllen, TX
South Texas College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend South Texas College

maria

If i could go back in time and talk to myself as a senior in high school, i would tell my self to not make the same mistakes twice, to take advantage of the many schoolarships that are available. I wish i could go back in time to my high school years and get the best grades i could get so that i could be accepted to very prestigious university, in the situation that i am in i dont have the opportunity to travel abroad as many of my friends are doing, i would love to travel to many places while studing. I would tell my self to have fun while your young but to also think about the future, it is very hard being a single parent and attending school. To make the most out of high school because that is just going to be a chapter in a novel, college is about tocome and thats whats going to mark your future.

Well the worst thing about my school is that it is not a big school as a university. even though i like small classrooms i would like to attend a school that has many buildings. My school is the size of a high school.

When i talk to my friends i always tell them that in my school the maximum amount of students are 30. i always say that small class rooms are better than having 800 students in a class. The andvantage is more interaction with the teacher

Brenda

So you're a few months away from being a free person, parties, credit cards, and no more curfews. Yay! All of that sounds fine and dandy, but i am now twenty years old and i'm anxious to graduate from college with a degree in Nursing. I'm so excited, but i'm still a little ways off of my degree. If only i hadn't procrastinated and experimented with the so called, " college life", I could be that much closer to my dream! Ugh! Please, learn from my experience, don't get ahead of yourself! He who laughs last, laughs better! And that's true. While your friends are out partying, don't be afraid to spend Saturday night studying for Monday's exam (trust me the parties aren't worth the failing grade). Another thing, learn to save your pennies. The real world is not easy, and it's certainly not cheap; so try and be wise with the little you have, the big bucks come after college. You can do it! Trust me i've gotten this far. Although it might seem hard and time consuming, but time flies. Remember one thing, Never Ever Give Up!

A person that i wouldn't recommend this school to, is a person who has no self-motivation and procrastinators. Although that applies to all higher education schools, but it is really apparent since this school is completely a commuter campus. If you are not willing to work in groups or don't know how to, i would not recommend this school either. Professors absolutely encourage group work and evaluate you closely on this. Interaction is also demanded by professors, they always initiate debates, and push study groups outside of class. Dont come here if you cant work outside class.

Honestly, I would brag about the tuition and understanding of the professors and staff at this school. I have attended other schools and none can compare to the price and quality ratio. I am in no way lying when i say that STC has all any student would need to become a successful transfer student and or graduate. The medical programs at this school are intense and extremely hands on which is awesome because students graduate with actual experience in their field. STC is a great alternate to higher priced universities. They work closely with student transfers.

Debra

There is an absolute warmth and friendliness with the students and the faculty there. They care about your education and also do a phenomenal job encouraging and supporting you as a student there.

Dear Debra, You will soon come to the end of your high-school journey and begin a new adventure of college life which you will have more choices. Here are some nuggetts for you to enjoy your freedom: Be smart with your money. Don't get into debt by getting a new car. Enjoy the lack of responsibility that you have and put all your focus on school. Live like a student while in college so you don't have to live like like a student when you graduate. Get a job that works around your schedule and not the other way around. Prioritize school and never take a break even if you are at least taking one class but keep up the momentum. Have clear written goals for each semester. Begin with the end in mind and do research on the career which involves you interviewing about 3 professionals within that carreer so that you are confident in the major that you are doing and it will keep you motivated in school. So, open up your minds to learn all that you have potential to learn from these educated instructors who are there to walk alongside your journey! Thanks!

The instructors take pride in what they do. The teach with passion and humor.

Sandra

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would have adviced myself to finish high school and continue to college. I would also tell my self that college is very important and that I would have to get a degree before bringing any children into my life. I would tell myself that knowledge equals power and the only way to earn power is through knowledge. If I could go back in time I would tell myself that education should be my priority to succeed in the future. I would tell myself to learn a skill that could be turned into a profession. I would tell my self to divide my fun time from study time because studying for the future can make the difference in the future.

the worst thing about this school is the amount of classes offered. Why? Because there has been quite an increase in student enrollment in the past three years but no increase in professors or number of classes offered. This increase has caused the classes to be closed for registration about three weeks before school starts. The number of minimester classes is also the worst they do not offer enough even though they are full before the school semester begins, yet the school continues to accept new students.

The person that should attend this school, should be a responsible mature person, who already has a plan for his or her future. The type of person that will understand that time is golden and that he or she need to take advantage of all the different types of student aid that this school offers. This person should be able to know that his time for studying is priceless. Each person that is going to attend this school should know that they are making a commitment that will help them change their way of life in the near future.

Noe

If i could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior knowing what i know not about college life and making the transition i would advise myself to enroll into college courses that they provide in high school and to study harder and get better grades that will help me out in the future with college. Because now that i know what college is about i regret not taking the college course or attending college fairs that help me apply for scholarships that will help me out.

I consider the parking for our school the worst thing about my school because since our commmunity is growing and more students are entering the community college it is very hard to find a parking spot.

I would say the most fustrating thing about my school is that it does not provide loans for students. They go off on payment plans that sometimes students cant pay.

Annabelle

If I could go back in time knowing what I know now, I would tell myself three things. First, pick a major that you enjoy and have a passion for. Don't feel the pressure to conform to friends or by society standards. I felt the pressure to conform to my cultural expectations and got into a field that I didn't enjoy. I felt nervous and never felt that I was in my element. It took me years to figure out what I enjoy and what I am good at because my passion and talent was kept hidden from me out of fear and trying to transform into something I knew I could not be. It's always almost more difficult to make the switch later rather than earlier. Second, get involved, connect and socialize. Networking is critical to future success. A part of that is making long term friendships but it's also about broadening your experience through others. And lastly, try to use what you've learned. It's never too early to start . That means getting an internship in your chosen field. Education is essential, but education with experience is priceless.

Jeffery

Going back and trying to give myself advice about college would be very difficult. As I look back at my life since I graduated high school I know that there are several things that I have done that I have regrets about, not just when thinking about college. I would tell myself to just be careful with everything that I do. There is not one thing in particular that I would try to convience myself not to do for one major reason. If my younger self took my advice and did change something that I did in my past then I may not be where I am know. Yes I may be a thirty-three year old freshman, but I am happily married with two beautiful daughters I would not want to take the chance of changing that for all the tea in China. My life has been full of ups and downs, especially when it comes to school, but those things have made me the man that I am know.

The school is a specialized nursing school called allied health and nursing, it is organized to train students who want to be in the health field.

I would have told myself to take it more serious while in high school and plan ahead, not to wait until I graduated to start planning for my future, I had always known that I wanted to be a nurse but did not know how to get started. I would have also said to go full force especially at that age, no children, no responsibilities, just yourself before things get more serious. Stay focused on school and be around others that have to same goals in life. Also, use all your resources and do not be shy in asking around for scholarships and grants or talk to others in your community for advise. Its not easy and can be stressful but with the right kind of mind and attitude anything can be accomplished.

Anybody who wants to be in the health profession or who are getting a higher degree as I am at this time, I am transitioning from LVN to RN and this school will make it so much easier to attend and complete.

Miguel

If i could go back in time to talk to myself i would probably tell myself to not go out partying before important exams like ACT. Also to pay more attention in classes because what the teachers are saying is important and will later on benefit you in college. One of the things i would also say is to not panic when i go to college just be calm, manage my time, and be cool about school.

I wish i would've been told to manage my time well because I am very unorganized. Another thing would be that i wish i would of known that college life isn't anything like high school, nobody cares if you were a good basketball player.

Well i tell them that it's not that big so i don't have to walk as much as them, since they are going to a slightly bigger college. =p

jonathan

My school is best known for its teachers and the students who attend it. I have heard it is one of the top colleges in the nation and i can see why. The people there are friendly and they look extremly focused on their work. Everybody helps each other out and its never hard to find people studying together. They have alot of tutors and special programs for those students who need help on there work and thats what i love about this school. It's a perfect example of the title "Community College".

GO TO COLLEGE, do not hesitate it will change the way you feel, the way you think, and the way you breath. It is super important and you will need the skills they it offers for the rest of your like. I would rather endure 2 years of hard work than a whole lifetime without an education. You will grow up so fast and learn people are not always what they seem. Self-Challenge is the name of the game, at first it might seem easy but the more you slack off the more it will come back to bite you. Do not miss this oppertunity to change your life

Everybody is local and gets along great. As soon as you step on campus you already feel confident and know whats going on. Teachers are friendly and understanding and will always help you when you need it. On a personal experience the teachers treat you as if they were your own, a family in other words. Make friends easily and study partners are never hard to find. Overall , its an awsome school and it wouldnt be if it wasnt for the teachers/students , so I would have to say the best thing about my school has to be the people

South Texas College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.