Columbia, SC
South University, Columbia

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend South University, Columbia

deborah

I am currently enrolled in the nursing program after having a particularly rough go at one of the local technical colleges. South university nursing program took me in and gave me a new perspective on college. They actually teach and care about you. I'm never intimidated to ask questions and the instructors are actually invested in your success instead of seeing you as another number.

Briana

My opinion of south university is amazing. The school is a great school and I recommend it to anyone. The professors are always available and easy to work with. The campus is so safe that security guards are always walking around so there will not be any interruptions during class. Students get to together and work on projects and get the job done.

Raven

I transfered from from Lander University. This is my third week at South, So far so good. I really enjoy the small class room setting. There ASC and library have been my hang out spot since day one. Another thing I like about south is your able to get more classes finished. They have four semester instead of two like most universities. There semesters consist of fall, winter, spring, and summer.

Tell us about your professors.

Tell us about your professors.

Each professor is different, however I have never met one that seemed like they didn't have time for their students. They seem willing to truly want you to learn and get the most out of class.

Every year around the holidays SUO has holiday contests, it's really to get the students involved and more aware of what SUO has to offer. You can win gift cards to Amazon and more. It's a really great way to meet people and get to know what our school has to offer,

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I had some time off from work due to renovations and I called some schools to see when I could start and South University was so quick to help me get going. The wait was too long at some other schools, South University enabled me to make the most of my free time.

There is absolutely no student that could feel out of place at South University. We have every type of person and all sorts of groups. We have Jocks, Geeks, the all about me types, and even Pegans. No matter what you are into I am sure there is a spot for you.

I go to school at South University Online, but you can still see the stereotypes exist even at an online university. There is a social media site, SUO's very own Connections, and the profile, like Facebook, shows you everything everyone wants you to see. You see the jocks; some go to a campus and online simultaneously. You definitely see the geeks, I think they rule SUO. They do extracurricular, smart people things like write for the paper and have a help page in every type of class for those not so gifted. Just because many schools are completely online doesn't mean there aren't cliques. Technology has come so far that we have the ability to do it all online, even be in a fraternity or sorority.

Chelsea

The school is geared towards older adults who have careers and families who have chosen to go back to school after an extended leave or never attended college previously.

I would take my younger self aside and say enjoy those years in college and don't neglect your studies. I would inform my younger self about the future and what is to come. I would warn of my environmental impact and suggest to learn how to save money and budget. I would suggest to enjoy those four years of school and make as many friends as possible. Get involved on campus and off-campus. Know you will not get a lick of sleep for fours years. Be weary of peer pressure associated with roommates and classmates. It can be fun to have new experiences, but avoid the addicition. Get to know your classmates and your professors, they can be great allies for the future. Make a plan for the future and don't expect everything to fall into place - have goals. Remember your friends and family from back home. Don't forget everyone who helped to support your future. Take time to show appreciation to all those who matter. Don't think so much of yourself, think of others, make a difference in the world by giving back, but try not to tretch yourself too thin.

The class sizes are small so the professor know you by name and you get to know all your classmates quickly.

Dakotah

South University is very involved in their students curriculum and personal lives outside of the classrooms, they want to get to know the student inside and out to help as much possible; instructors encouraged students to learn more because the instructors really show how determine they are to have successful students.

I would have advised myself to take some shadowing programs within the local hospitals to see what unit would be of interest before majoring in Nursing. Having a Nurse mentor would have been excellent to show the steps of how to become a successful college student; to know what's expected, what's required and using process of elimination of choosing the right college/university. I would have notified the high senior self to look at small colleges first before entering into bigger colleges, go on tours and then sit down to compare. I wish that I would have attended a smaller college first because it would have allowed me to slowly adjust to the college life and not be so overwhelmed with first time course loads, also it would have been less expensive. I would strongly advised the student to never cram, always prepare the day before reading materials, study groups, have fun while learning, and have no stress!

A focused and hard driven individual should attend South University. An individual that participates in studies, organizations, meetings and etc... An individual that approves of being in a smaller classroom versus a larger classes, making it easier to connect and to have a one on one relationship with the instructors. Last but not least, a compassionate individual should attend this University.

Joy

Joy Schofield, you are graduating from high school in a few months. It is a big world out there and I want to share with you some things that may help you to stay focused and successful. I honestly think it is better to be a failure at something you love than to be a success at something you hate. So do what you like and do what you know, the rest will come to you then.

If I had to mention one thing about South University that I do not like, I suppose it would be that it is not a state school, therefore, you are not eligible for some grants and scholarships that would be available to student who attend a state school.

When I am discussing my school, South University, I describe it as very friendly. Everyone, from the person at the reception area, to admissions, to financial aide, to the teachers are so very positive and have great attitudes. It is a campus that you feel welcomed!

Avalon

I have always asked myself what I would?ve told myself if I were to talk to myself as a high school senior. When I think about it, I will say two things; focus harder and do not give up your dreams. Surprisingly I believe my old self will tell me that that?s the plan. I have always been very focused and dead set on what I want for my life concerning my career and what I needed to do to get there. I understood that the journey will be difficult because the transition from high school to college can really make or break someone. I have gone through many ups and downs since going to college, and I believe it has only made me stronger. I don?t think I will change one thing that I have done since I graduated high school, because it has made me into who I am today.

A person that shouldn't attend this school is someone who has not matured enough in school and are not able to push thmeselves to self study. Someone who is not eager to learn and get real world experience from professors who want to share what they know.

There isn't anything that is frustrating about my school. The admistration and professors are always available and eager to help. If you have any problems they will try their best to resolve it and make your experience at the school stress free.

Breanna

The first thing I would tell myself to not skip class because that's the first mistake that most high school seniors make. Second, I would say " NO PROCRASTINATION". All procrastination does is get you further and further behind in your work. Do your work when the teacher gives it to you and possibly turn it in early so you won't it. It's very hard trying to catch up work at the end of the semester and most teachers don't except late work. Third, start looking at requirements for the colleges you are interested in because the earlier you apply the better. It's better for you to know what college you want to go to by the end of the first semester because if you wait until the last minute, you may missed the deadlines to apply and that won't be good. Also make sure you have taken the SAT and/or ACT. Fourth and finally, STAY FOCUSED. This is the year that counts the most and you don't want to screw it up because it may possibly come back and haunt you in the future and you wouldn't want that to happen.

The professors. They really love their jobs and they are very willing to help in any way there is possible.

A person that will not stay focused on their school work because the classes move at a very fast pace and if you miss classes, you will get behind and that could possibly cause you to fail the class.

Gwendolyn

I would suggest getting help in the freshmen year of highschool by a mentor to more effectively direct your educational goals. I know that my guidence counselor failed me in school because I did not have a clue as to how to direct my class studies or how to prepare for college. The guidence counselors just gave us a class schedule. Classes where not selected based on directing the average student to have viable skills or professions. All the support and direction went to the star pupils and athletes. Neither of my parents were educated beyond elementary school but they did the best that they knew how. That's why it is so important to make sure no child is left behind. You never know, that very child that was left behind could very well have been a great scientist, educator, politician, or as in my case, a great attorney.

I have no comment here because I am satisfied with the academics at the school. I am also plan to go to law school and South University BS in Legal studies allows you to skip one year of laws school because it is pre law.

I sometimes feel they are not as supportive to the older students returning to school. I have made great sacrifices to come back to school. I am an unemployed full time student and there are minimal sources of financial assistance in the form of scholarships and grants for returning or students over 45 years of age.

South University, Columbia administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.