Cape Girardeau, MO
Southeast Missouri State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Southeast Missouri State University

Kristin

My classmates range from interrupting, older non traditionals students to the quiet, never asking a question, sitting in the corner students.

High School Kristin, I want you to know that procrastintion is not the key. Stop putting things off until the last minute, use your time wisely. Get involved with your peers throughout your school years. Make lasting friends and memories that you will never forget. If there is something you have always dreamed of trying, do it. You do not want to live with the 'what ifs' all your life. Take risks in all aspects of your life. You cannot achieve big things unless you take risks. You may fail but you may also succeed. You will never know which one until you try. Count your blessings everyday and never take a moment for granted. Appreciate all the little things in life because they can be taken from you in an instant. Cherish the moments you have with your family and friends even if you do not want to be there. When those people are gone, you will wish you had said or done something much differently before they left this world. Start a budget now! Stop eating out so much and start saving money to pay bills and student loans in the future. Money does not grow on trees.

I brag most about the smaller class sizes and individualized attention you recieve from your instructors. I attended another college and dropped out because the classes were so big that I could never really pay attention or ask many questions. I appreciate that the instructors care enough about our education that they help us individually and listen to our concerns about the classes. Knowing that someone wants to help me improve my life and make a difference gives me great joy. I have teachers in my family and I love that they help to improve others lives.

Alyssa

Plan ahead. Make sure you know exactly what career field you are interested in and want to continue your education in. Plan each semester so that you build a foundation for what will come next. Include any class that could potentially inspire you or provoke thoughts and new views. Always take notes in class even if the teacher states that the information will not be on the test. Get plenty of sleep and don't eat the bean soup...it is not real bean soup!!

I wish I had known that majority of the school population was conservative. Many students lived in rural areas and were oppressed by religion and some notion of racism. There were many activities on campus for liberals and for students to simply open their minds to new ideas but off capmus there was not.

Sororities and Fraternities because in order to join one you had to have a lot of money. They would do community service projects and show their school spirit through events which would be appealing on resumes. Which is all great on paper but in reality they simply wrote a lot of checks and drank a lot of beer.

Seth

My classmates come from many different backgrounds and most of them have great determination, intelligence, and a great sense of humor.

Seth, I know that college is the next big step in life and you are a little nervous and shy at times, but you have nothing to worry about. Working for your engineering degree will be difficult at times, especially since you will work through college, but its nothing you can not handle. Pursuing this path will be the best choice you make and you will know it soon enough. SEMO has many friendly people and you will hardly ever feel out of place. Plus, SEMO has a beautiful campus and most of the faculty is amazing. Just be confident and try your best to achieve a high GPA while still making time to hang out with your girlfriend and best friends. Life at SEMO turns out to be a lot better than you expect and after three semesters you will be accepted into Missouri S&T just like you planned. Do not worry about going out of your way to make new friends or joining a social club. The classes are small and you will form friendships without even realizing it. Stay determined and understand that the information you learn is most important and the experience is wonderful.

The best thing about my school is the small class sizes and the teachers. The small class size allows the students to sit closer to the boards and stay focused through the entire class period. The teachers learn to know each student in the small class and make it their goal to help the student succeed. The teachers really care about every student getting the most out of class and they allow the students the opportunity to ask as many questions as they need to in order to understand the subject.

I think Southeast Missouri University is best known for several of their programs; the mass communications department, for example, is an award winning, talented, and huge part of the community at SEMO. Many students attend this school for their nursing and educational programs as well.

I think Southeast Missouri University is a great University for any kind of person. There are organizations and classes for outgoing people, extroverts, social butterflies, humble hermits, smartie pants, and creative critters. There are so many opportunities for anyone and everyone to get involved and enjoy their experience here.

Kirstin

Classmates are friendsly and helpful.

I would tell senior self to branch out more and join clubs, even if I don't know anyone in them because they can be benificial and fun. I would also tell myself to talk to my classmates and make friends with them since I see them in a lot of my classes. I would reassure myself that college is going to be ok and that it's not as scary as I thought it was. Professors are helpful and don't actually want you to fail their classes so they will work with you to help you learn.

chris

Southeast Missouri State University is a wonderful school full of many helpful faculty and staff that strive for your greatness and it also provides a lot of extracurricular activities for students of all different backgrounds.

If I was able to go back in time and was able to give some nuggets of wisdom to my younger self. I would have to tell him what college to go to right out of highschool. Work harder to make more money and don't blow it all on useless junk. Get in a deeper relationship with God becuase once you get out of your comfort zone religion usually is what takes the back seat. And also try a lot harder in school to get the GPA up. I never knew how important that was until it was too late. But besides that I would tell him keep everything the same and tell him we are going to have an amazing life.

I believe that the worst thing about Southeast Missouri State University would have to be absolutly nothing.

Kelly

My classmates really came together to help out and made sure we enjoyed our time together.

If you know where you want to be in the next five years work backwards. Research what you need to get there and plan your life accordingly. When things don’t go as planned and they never do it is ok. There is always plan B. When you really want something there are no excuses. Do the work; you will be happy you did. On the other hand, it is ok if you don’t know what you are going to do in the next 5 years. Live in the now and enjoy it because it is never too late to get what you want. You are going to make mistakes and that is ok. Learn from them.

Getting to your car in a timely manner was the most frustrating part about campus. You really have to plan your time wisely if you need to get to work or class because you never can be sure where you are going to park. The school does have efficient shuttles that run around campus and to your car.

Gloria

There are three things you need to know to make college life easier. One, remember when you were debating between going to Texas A&M University and University of North Texas? In your heart you really wanted to go to UNT, but you decided to go to Texas A&M University because of someone else’s decision. Go with your heart. It makes the college experience that much better. Two, apply for financial aid and as many scholarships as you can. There will be financial troubles in the future. Three, you must get your seizures under control or this will be your first and final semester at a four year university. Be strong. Go with your heart. You can do it.

Danielle

My school is in between being a small, and large school. The campus is pretty medium-sized, however the location of the school is pretty small. My school is located in Cape Girardeau, MO, which is a pretty small town located in the Midwest; Missouri to be exact. The town is a lot smaller than my hometown of St. Louis, Missouri. Not everyone at the school is friendly. A lot of people here are pretty rude, immature, and bitter. A person can have such negativity to say about you, and not even know your name, which is crazy, and hateful.

Since I have been in college, I have become a lot wiser, and mature than I was in high school. If I could travel back in time to talk to myself as a high school senior, I would have a lot to say to myself. The first thing being that grades really do matter. You reap more benefits when you keep your grades up. Not only that, but if you would have done a lot better on your ACT that would have helped you as well, because you could have received more money in financial aid. Don't let how others perceive you affect your school work. Sure others may talk about you, but at the end of the day you're at school to learn, and get an edcuation not for people to like you or be your friend. Friends come and go, the quality of your friends is more important than the quantity of friends you have. You never know who can enter your life, and be of a huge blessing to you. I have learned a lot while being away at school, and I feel like I am molding into the person I want to be.

I wish I would have known a lot before coming to Southeast. First, I wish I would have had better grades, and a higher ACT score to receive more money from the school. In my senior year, I started to become very lazy in my academics, just because I was so tired of my high school, and I was very eager to graduate. Had I known how important your grades really are when going to college, I would have tried ten times harder in my classes, because in the end having good grades is very beneficial for financial aid awards.

Southeast Missouri State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.