Cape Girardeau, MO
Southeast Missouri State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Southeast Missouri State University

Matthew

Knowing what I know now about college and college life, the only real words of advice I would have for myself as a high school senior would be about taking advantage of the great resources your college professors provide. I now wish that I had taken more time to speak with my professors and learn more about what possibilities a person with my majors are open to after college. I just began discovering this my final year here, and now I have been kicking myself for not talking to them more. I just feel that students often don't want to interact with their instructors because its not necessarily "fun" to do, but it is vital to giving yourself a great advantage in the years after college when you can receive so much good advice from people who have been around the block once or twice.

The best thing about the school is the small class sizes. Every class is capped at a maximum 25 students. Often there are far fewer than that number, and sometimes more if the professor allows it. It really does promote much more interaction with the professors in class and has a more personal feel.

The most frustrating thing is the lack of help when a problem does arise. Many students often receive indifferent treatment when they have a problem with the support staff outside of the instructors. I work on campus and often have to answer a phone call where a student has been bounce around campus and dumped on random departments because the first person just didn't want to deal with them or didn't try.

Jaclyn

Sophia, Hey girl. College is no joke. You've got to study a lot and you can't procrastinate. As soon as you start to slip you'll fall; trust me I've seen it happen. Save every penny you make because in the long run you're going to need it. College is a great experience and I'm not saying you can't have fun, I'm just saying to watch out because sometimes all that fun comes at a price. Just make sure to keep up on your studies and it'll fly by. It's going to be hard working and trying to go to school, but you can do it. I have faith in you. Try to keep your debt paid off as much as you can and you'll be fine when you graduate. The parking sucks, but you'll make it. Love always, Me

I believe any kind of person should attend this school. It's a great school with great academics. If the person likes small rural areas then this school is great for them. Any person that wants to get away from the big city will love Southeast. Everyone is very nice and easy to get along with so anyone would love this school.

The most frustrating thing about Southeast is the parking. I am a commuter student so I don't get the benefit of parking closer. You can apply for closer parking permits, but since I am a freshman I'm at the bottom of the list to obtain one. So since I don't have one of these preferred parking permits I must park in the perimeter commuter parking lots that are located outside the campus. Then it takes me ten minutes to walk from my car to campus.

Nurixi

One thing i find unique about my university is that it's actually located in the town i live in. Im not from here originally but i found it great that after having settled in this town, i wouldn't have to move far for college. I've learned to get used to this town and the people in it, that's why i decided to stay here for college. It's also great since i can stay at home with my family who needs my support at times, from all problems we've been through recently.

If i was to go back in time and talk to myself about my future college days, i would probably have to tell myself to prepare for financial aid ahead of time. Or atleast find a job that i would be able to keep for a while to help with all costs for college and home. I've learned that college is really expensive. From the books, fees, commuting money that is needed regularly, it can be hard at times. Especially now with the economic crisis that has affected us all. Another thing i would advice myself on is to make sure and have a great senior year with friends and enjoy them while i can, because once in college, you won't have much time to hang out with them. You will have to go to school in the morning and then go to work in the afternoon. I'm now responsible for myself and have to do everything. I no longer get much help from my parents financially since they are both unemployed and I'm currently looking for a job to help them out, as well as myself with my expenses for school and what not.

One thing I wish I had experience with before I came to this school is speech. I'm a pretty shy person and I never really took any speech classes in High School so I've never really had experience with talking in front of people. Now that i've started college i've noticed that i will have to do a lot of talking. It's not that bad either because i get to experience it now and it's better late than never. Although having had experience already would've helped a bit more.

There are many different types of people that attend colleges. Don't be afraid to talk to everyone.

I would tell myself to not be afriad and to get involved. Talk to people and just relax. Most important save up as much money as possible do not waste any more on trivial things. Also just have fun for the last year of high school.

I really love the campus. It is medium sized, but it does have a few hills. I also love my dorm becasue the people here are very friendly.

rebecca

I would tell myself to take dulenrolement classes and to take the ACT a cuple more times.

adquadic center because I enjoy swimming and it has different things in the pool like a zipline and a real rock wall coming out of the water.

Dylan

My college has mostly small sized classes, low end tuition, and a broad range of majors. There is also much diversity in the people.

If I could turn back time, I would tell myself to prepare financial aid in January. This is a vital part. The less you are worried about finances, the more you can focus on school. I would also tell myself to take the classes that I can for college credit, so I don't have to repeat anything unnecessarily.

Kathleen

Southeast Missouri State University is a smaller university, but it still has plenty of people and activities to keep me busy and happy.

My classmates at Southeast Missouri State University have all been very nice and willing to help out if I had missed a class.

Relax. That is the key to making a smooth transition from high school to college. I know that it may be hard to relax when you are thinking of what classes to take, what to major in, and whether or not you and your future roommate will kill each other. Just go out there and be yourself. Sometimes you should put the homework aside and get out there and have some fun. People say college is all about academics and your career...but it is that and so much more! College is a place where you meet some of your best friends and share some of the best memories. There is nothing wrong with taking a break from homework at midnight to go out to Taco Bell with your roommates. Those are the nights you will always remember. So just relax! Everything will turn out ok.

shari

Every building is easy to find and the professors are very involved in helping the students learn in every way possible.

If I knew in my senior year what I know now, I would tell myself to be more prepared. I would not only have to be prepared for the emotional transition, being away from my family and friends, but also be prepared for the responsibilities that come with campus life. In high school classes met every day to discuss the course, but in college the classes may meet on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, or Tuesday and Thursday. Between those days I am responible for doing homework, on my own, without my mom telling me to get it done. I am also responsible for doing my own laundry, dishes, and cooking. The biggest responsibility is getting up in the morning and actually going to class. If I don't teach myself to do that, then college will not work out for me at all.

I brag about the teachers. They are very helpful when teaching the students and when they give assignments, they always give a way to contact them outside of class if we need help.

Allison

The university has its up (interesting and entertaining) moments, but overall it is made up of its down moments with no athletics to boost its support in the community.

The things that really drew me to this school was the price, my ability to stay at home and safe money, and the university had the program I was interested in with a minor in another possible field.

The main advice I would give myself is to not be fearful and to just go for what I wanted. To not be afraid to go to my number one university, even though the cost was high, because there are things to help with the cost of the university and I would be a lot happier. I would also make sure to tell myself to be more involved with activities, to get out and be adventurous in meeting new people and to not fall back on my shy and old ways.

Logan

I would tell myself to take it one day at a time and not overwhelm myself. You realize you have a lot more time than you think to get things done and to do a good job on them instead of worrying about other things or trying to make time for everything. There's no rush. Take life slow and see it for what it is and enjoy it.

The only person I believe shouldn't attend this school would be somebody who doesn't have any goals and just wants to sit around with life. You can find anything at my school to catch your attention and expand your learning in new ways and discover more about yourself.

I tell my friends about how diverse the classes are and that you can find anything there to interest you. All my teachers have been very hands on and go beyond their own range to help out.

Southeast Missouri State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.