Southeast Missouri State University

« See more reviews of Southeast Missouri State University

Take toursand talk to students who are currently attending each university. Think about what you want to do with your life and career and search universities based on academic highlights. Assess yourself: what you like, who you are comfortable with, where you are comfortable, interests and pick a university accordingly. Do not let others influence where you will attend. Of course take opinions and ask others of experiences, but go where you truly want to go. Don't let parents choose what university you will attend. Get involved!! Do something besides going to class; whether it be a job, extra curriculars, intramural sports, student government etc. I have seen many college students in their first semester do nothing but go to class and become depressed. Involvment makes students feel that the university is THEIR school and they belong there. Balance between academics, work, and socializing. It is extremely important to take your studies seriously because college determines where will you be and what you will be doing in the next four or so years. However, it is also important to take and break and have fun because without fun, you will burn out quickly. Keep healthy.

I would advise anyone planning on attending college to choose a school that offers a variety of degree options. Students tend to think they know exactly what they want to do until they get there and have their first classes in the chosen major. Some stick to their guns and push through, while others choose a different path again and again until they find the right fit. I was among the students who weren?t positive which path was right for me and can only tell you that your best bet is to find a school the offers a multiplicity of opportunities. While you?re using this trial and error process to find your place, stay involved with campus activities, even just floor activities. I know it would have been a much harder journey in my college experience thus far if I wouldn?t have had the support and encouragement of the wonderful friends I have made here at Southeast. Most importantly, have faith in yourself. You CAN do it! In the words of Herman Cain, ?Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful."

Seth, I know that college is the next big step in life and you are a little nervous and shy at times, but you have nothing to worry about. Working for your engineering degree will be difficult at times, especially since you will work through college, but its nothing you can not handle. Pursuing this path will be the best choice you make and you will know it soon enough. SEMO has many friendly people and you will hardly ever feel out of place. Plus, SEMO has a beautiful campus and most of the faculty is amazing. Just be confident and try your best to achieve a high GPA while still making time to hang out with your girlfriend and best friends. Life at SEMO turns out to be a lot better than you expect and after three semesters you will be accepted into Missouri S&T just like you planned. Do not worry about going out of your way to make new friends or joining a social club. The classes are small and you will form friendships without even realizing it. Stay determined and understand that the information you learn is most important and the experience is wonderful.

High School Kristin, I want you to know that procrastintion is not the key. Stop putting things off until the last minute, use your time wisely. Get involved with your peers throughout your school years. Make lasting friends and memories that you will never forget. If there is something you have always dreamed of trying, do it. You do not want to live with the 'what ifs' all your life. Take risks in all aspects of your life. You cannot achieve big things unless you take risks. You may fail but you may also succeed. You will never know which one until you try. Count your blessings everyday and never take a moment for granted. Appreciate all the little things in life because they can be taken from you in an instant. Cherish the moments you have with your family and friends even if you do not want to be there. When those people are gone, you will wish you had said or done something much differently before they left this world. Start a budget now! Stop eating out so much and start saving money to pay bills and student loans in the future. Money does not grow on trees.

Out of my college experinece at Southeast Missouri State I have gotten many things; I have gained many vaiable aspects of life that will help me in my future and in my career as a Socail Worker. For insatnce, the many classes I have taken that have taught me the many things I need to know to become the Socail Worker I will be. Second, I have gained knowlege to many of life's needed experiences,from the many examples I have been shown in classes of aspects of life I will be handling as a Social Worker.Third, I have gained many lifelong friendships and lifelong socail experiences from attending Southeast Missouri State. Attending Southeast Missouri State has been very valuable because of the above list and many more aspects as growing up to the person I am becoming I will never foget. Thanks to this college I will not only graduate with my BSW, I will graduate with lifelong friendships and socail experiences and I will graduate with the knowlegde and skills I will need to futher my carrer and find a job working as a Socail Worker when I gradaute.

Rather than give advice, I wish to share my own experience. Exactly one decade ago, I stepped into the free world of college student. I made one wrong turn after another from that point on. I became deeply self destructive for many years and was not able to stay focused on what was important. I had quickly found myself living the empty life of a "partying girl". At 22, I had become a homeless, pregnant college drop out. From here, I began to make all of the changes necessary to become a whole person who had something to offer to the world. I had a long road ahead of me. This month I am celebrating my son's 5th birthday, along with my third year in sobriety. I also am beginning my second year at SEMO with nothing but straight A's under my belt. I am slowly excavating the talented artist that had been buried in fear for so long. I am beginning to believe in my abilities. My advice to all new students is to seek a rich college experience and leave the cheap thrills on the wayside. Within my education, the journey has truly become the destination.

Don't Stress! In the end, You will be happy with whatever you decide on and even if your not you can always transfer. Dont be afraid to say your not happy where you are. The major factors that I focused on were size, environment, faculty, cost, and student body. And parents, greek societies are not what you think they are. They are not the stereotypical 'drinking clubs'. At SEMO, my fraternity is a resource for meeting people with the same interests and hobbies of mine, and an outlet to meet friends that I will have for the rest of my life. Parents should stand behind their college students looking at greek organizations., atleast check it out and give it a chance. In the end, as a freshman, just dont be afraid to ask questions. People understand that you are new and getting settled in, and older students have all been freshmen at one point and have been in the same position you are in now. College is for getting a higher education in order to get a good career, but also to meet lifelong friends and find who you are, oh yea and dont forget to have fun!

My College experience has been incredibly humbling. I have received the gift of learning how frail and scary the health of an individual can be. College is valuable because I am gaining knowledge on the ways I can improve the health of those sick patients. It is the most flattering gift I feel I can receive. Though it is stressful, I can say I have enjoyed every minute. For example, on my first day of clinical I simply gave my patient a bath and listened to her story. The thing that mesmerizes me the most in nursing is that every single person has a different story to tell. To me, that makes life so sacred. At the end of my clinical day when I was leaving my first patient, she took my hand with tears in her eyes and said, ?I have been here for weeks; you have showed me more kindness in these few hours than anyone else here. Because of you, I feel good.? I will never forget that moment. It solidified my thoughts of choosing to be the best nurse I can become. Knowing that I have bettered one person?s life has made all the difference.

If I knew what I know now when I was in high school I would tell myself to stay true to who you are and work hard to accomplish the goals you want to complete. College life comes with a whole new world of possibilities and choices that a student has to make on their own. It can be difficult for some students to learn to control their decisions without the guidance they once had from their parents. Although it is sad, I have seen some classmates from high school who could have had the world at their fingertips throw it all away to drinking or drugs and not focusing on school. Finding out who you are and staying true to yourself is the best way to accomplish your goals. My dad always tells me, "The decisions you make determine the life you lead." When I was younger, I sort of just shrugged off this advice. Now I see that he is right and that every decision you make, no matter how small, will have an impact on what you do and who you are. Remember that every decision you make impacts your life and to think before you act.

If i was to go back in time and talk to myself about my future college days, i would probably have to tell myself to prepare for financial aid ahead of time. Or atleast find a job that i would be able to keep for a while to help with all costs for college and home. I've learned that college is really expensive. From the books, fees, commuting money that is needed regularly, it can be hard at times. Especially now with the economic crisis that has affected us all. Another thing i would advice myself on is to make sure and have a great senior year with friends and enjoy them while i can, because once in college, you won't have much time to hang out with them. You will have to go to school in the morning and then go to work in the afternoon. I'm now responsible for myself and have to do everything. I no longer get much help from my parents financially since they are both unemployed and I'm currently looking for a job to help them out, as well as myself with my expenses for school and what not.