Southeast Missouri State University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Southeast Missouri State University

Danielle

I love SEMO. The atmosphere and the people are truly amazing. There are so many great professors and I really enjoy going to classes and learning again, like I did as a child. Also, by searching the SEMO website, I found a lot of useful resources that helped me choose my major.

Katie

SEMO was my last choice school and I honestly only applied because my mom made me. I ended up picking it because of its affordability. Having said that I love going to SEMO! This school completely defied all my expectations. The campus is great and there is always something to do. There are lots of sports games to attend and intramural sports are very popular. Greek life has service as well as social fraternities and sororities. An abundance of leadership programs and academic groups exist. The River Campus is a hub for the arts and cultivates creativity. SEMO is affordable and diverse. People of all backgrounds attend and loads of scholarship opportunities exist. Cape Girardeau is a smaller city, but still has loads of stores and restaurants. The main street strip is filled with family owned establishments.

Maya

Southeast Missouri State University, is a really great school lots of good opportunities. Campus food is good, always room for improvement. On-Campus housing is very decent and livable. There are multiple options to find the right housing space for you.

Rebecca

I feel that the school does a decent job of keeping their prices low. The academics are okay, but I really think that it is the price that gets people to come. They offer housing that is affordable, and the tuition is low. That is really the most attractive part of my school.

Jenna

Southeast offers a world-class academic experience at an affordable cost. The university’s 200 areas of study emphasize national accreditation, experiential learning and career preparation. In addition to our small class sizes, our faculty and staff genuinely care about your success. We endeavor to provide a residential experience which supports student success while recognizing the unique role of college students as future leaders in our society and community. In support of this role, our residential programs and services enhance the development of college students through the integration of the classroom and co-curricular educational experiences. We recognize students as members of diverse communities who each possess individual needs and goals. To support student's needs and goals, we foster opportunities for personal development through individualized interactions between students, staff, and family members.

Makayla

I love Southeast but every school have room for improvements in all areas and aspects.

Overall, Southeast Missouri State, is pretty much your typical school. There are parties , drugs and alcohol if you want to find them, but that doesn't mean you have to use them. Campus at first may not seem diverse, but slowly you start seeing new faces everyday, as well as comforting faces you are always used to seeing. I recommend this school to every student looking for that small school attention, with big school population size.

T

To the people who are reading my review, I graduated from a prep school in New England and was accepted by Ohio Wesleyan Univ., Michigan State Univ., and La Salle Univ. After visiting each campuses and checked what they offered for me, SEMO was the best school for me to get my undergraduate degree. I grew up in Japan so I was looking for a place that I could relax and had fun studying or playing games (aka chilling life experience!). Their tuition is very cheap compared with the other schools and they still offer incredible educational experience. This is the school that you can suceed if you know what you want to do and have ability to do something. As for the private universities that I was accepted, the tuition that they offered was not worth the price and the quality is really the same. It is all up to students whether or not they want to suceed or not. Getting into graduate school is very important if you have specific area that you want to advance yourself in. You should plan ahead to do what you want to do in the future. If you are not sure what you want to do, then you should go to schools that are ranked higher so you get something even if you are not sure what you want to become in the future. The only downside is that many students and professors do not realize that they are doing great jobs which means they are so nice to insist that they are good! Aside from the academic experience, the tuition is very very good for international students compared with the tuition of private universities. I literally told my parents to give me the amount of differece so that so I can invest the money to my own future by myself (certification, bootcamp, travel, etc...). TL;DR After graduating from SEMO, I advanced to professional job and the employee value my experience at SEMO. The rural life at SEMO was the best experience for me. Their tuition was very worth the price and I definitely recommend this school for all the international students around the world.

Kathryn

Southeast Missouri State University (SEMO) is a great choice for me personally. SEMO has given me the opportunity to go to school here much easier because they have given me many scholarships. Personally, I love the campus and the people here, all the professors are super nice and want you to succeed in whatever major you choose. I love the campus because it isn't a huge campus, it is big enough to where you don't feel cramped like smaller colleges are.

Coleen

Terrible financial aide department. They are rude & condescending. They fail to tell you want paperwork you need to provide and when you ask them for assistance, they treat you like your a child. They ended up ruining any positive outlook I could have on this university. I would recommend taking your money some place else.

Izabella

The campus is beautiful. Only downside is it’s mainly in the middle of nowhere. But my favorite thing is no matter where you stand in campus, you always see two emergency poles. We have campus police working 24/7 and I just feel incredibly safe. It’s a small town and I absolutely love it!

Gianna

Southeast Missouri State University is a mid-sized school that is not too big or small. There are at times where there are questionable things regarding finances and the budget since there are still outdated technology in some science labs or a few crumbling buildings. Activities and events are constantly updated on the Facebook group. Flyers are posted around about big events, but the best way to get involved is to join the Facebook group. It is difficult as a freshmen to find a job on campus as well as getting involved in clubs at times. Either there are fees and meetings happen last minute or they rarely meet and only host events that are open to all so it is not even a "club" at all. The people here are very accepting but the city of Cape Girardeau and the campus at night is not the safest place to be. It is a great school for not stretching the bank, but registering for classes is frustrating and sometimes teachers can be condescending.

Danisha

Southeast Missouri State University is a PWI so being an African American student I’m mostly surrounded by non African Americans in all of my classes. Thats something new to me. Though I will say that our African American Community always come together as one and support each other. It’s very uplifting. I’d much rather be at school than home.

I came to SEMO because of the incredible scholarship I was awarded. Sadly, this scholarship is no longer being awarded. The school is in my hometown which is growing everyday with new restaurants and shops. There’s a pretty big party scene and emphasis on Greek life. I found other clubs I enjoy because of all the options.

Sally

Southeast Missouri State University is a great school. SEMO offers numerous organizations to help students, get exercise, pay for their education, get involved, and help with their studies! I am a first year freshman and I have been able to get involved in numerous way on campus and off of campus. The community at Southeast is inviting and friendly. I have come to love Southeast Missouri State University in a short amount of time.

Morgan

I think that it is a great college for people to go to get a good education and start their life. The professors work well their students and the library is my favorite place to go and study. It's always quiet and I can usually get a lot done and worked on when I am there.

Lexi

I am not an advocator of college curriculum but I am in love with the town that SEMO is in...It got rated the most boring town in Missouri but to that I say, only boring people get bored. Explore, explore, explore!

SEMO provides a decent education for the price. Depending on you major, this school be the the right choice for you. If you come from a city like me, you might not like the area. Cape Girardeau is a small city with a very small downtown area. You can find activities to do, but it might take a little digging. There are parts of town that are a bit sketchy, so you shouldn't walk around alone at night. There are some wonderful faculty here that are willing to help you. There isn't a huge selection of clubs, so Greek life is pretty prevalent.

Leslie

SEMO is a very well rounded, mid sized town designed for educational progress. The instructors are available and ready to teach the class and or individual instruction. The student programs such as the First Step orientation to the University Tutorial services and everything in between are designed to foster educational advancement.

I love it!!! The best college experience ever. The professors are great, I always look forward to their classes. Even the President will clear his schedule to make time for his students. The staff, faculty, students, everything about my college, except the parking, makes my college experience one I look forward to everyday.

Zach

SEMO is a good school mainly because it is safe and the faculty is very helpful to the students. The only big problem in my opinion is the small number of majors that are available. If SEMO were to expand its areas of study, it would be the ideal school.

Southeast Missouri State University is a great school! The size of the university makes everything accessible, while still giving students a college feel. The amount of academic services is outstanding, from math lab to writing centers. I was greatly impressed with campus as soon as I stepped foot here.

Sophia

This school is known for our School President Vargas and he is such a great guy. He loves to be involved with student activity and is present to most school events. The food isn't great and is definitely over-priced. The classes are easy-going and there are various of clubs for students to join.

I think this is a great school for anyone that is from a small town. The class sizes are very similar to most high schools, in fact they might even be smaller. Most of my teachers have been great with the exception of two terrible ones. The night life is pretty terrible here and the town is very...republican. I would recommend this school to someone who isn't trying to study very hard and looking for a small town vibe.

Kaleb

It is a great college but option for associate degrees need to improve. I think that people who start college go in thinking they are to get their bachelors but some end up not like the whole college feel because it’s not for them. So they decide they want a degree but not bachelors. Then they find out that SEMO really doesn’t offer associates degrees.

Marquee'

I love the small classroom sizes, therefore, I can connect with my teachers in the classroom and out. I just wish they would have more parking lots because they ticket everybody, but were left with no choice because parking is so limited. The town is small but easy to navigate. There are good parts of town but living off campus can get very scary because of the surrounding neighborhood.

J

Do not waste your time or money here. The associate dean is racist and biased. I have 5 years experience at this school. Horrible professors. Horrible staff. There's a reason it's 10 grand cheaper per year than other universities in MO. You get what you pay for. Pretty campus but don't leave campus. Drug/shooting-infested area. Not safe. Poor education and the associate dean thinks he's a town sheriff. His ego is as big as all outdoors and when you lead with racism, bias, and ego, everyone suffers.

Corie

For being a local of Cape Girardeau and raised to go anywhere else BUT Semo, it is honestly not bad at all. Southeast has multiple great programs for an affordable price. There are plenty of opportunities and social events to meet new people and multiple clubs and organizations to get involved in. I believe Southeast is really trying to become a prestigious university and is slowly making it's way up.

Winter

Southeast Missouri State was a great college. The class room sizes were the best part of it for a university the class room sizes remand small and personal.

Very nice college with lots of opportunities and activities- someone is always Available to help

Janelle

The sun hit the budding trees just right on the walk up to the last final I would ever take in my college career. The spring breeze blew my hair about and I wasn't annoyed or worried about the bright sun in my face, my long hair dancing around my head, or even the time. I had let far too many little things bother me before. But now, it was time to reflect and enjoy the moment. Because soon it would be over and this season of life would be gone, beginning a new chapter in a new book. This university was close to home, friendly to me, and usually a nice escape from the rest of life. I had some of the best memories on this very campus, a place where I really got to know myself and who I was. My teachers encouraged me and the work I did and were always standing proud at the conclusion of a semester. SEMO was always there, walking me through the seasons of life and teaching me things the entire way. When I wanted to rush, it taught me to slow down and take it all in. When I wanted to drag my feet, I was pushed to my limits only to find that I could do more than I ever thought I would. When I was sad or troubled with the weights of life, the perfect moment of bumping into a friend or sharing a laugh with a professor came and blew the cares away. Southeast Missouri State University couldn't wait to see what I would do when I walked onto campus, fresh out of high school. And as I walked out of my college graduation commencement ceremony, the inspiration that my university gave me through the years left with me. So, thank you SEMO. I can't wait to see what I do.

Ashlyn

This is my first year at SEMO, and I love it so far. There are plenty of classes to choose from, and your advisors are great about helping you pick them out. The food is good, but I definitely miss my mom's cooking. The dorms are a good size; you won't feel too crowded by your roommate. There are a lot of hills, so you definitely get leg day in. There are many choices in extra-curricular activities, so you should never be bored. I am very proud to be a Redhawk.

Gabrielle

I have a very high opinion of Southeast Missouri State University. It is not too big of a school, but it also is not too small. You can usually go anywhere on campus and know at least one person there. The campus itself is beautiful, with lots of benches and hammocks, it is set up for people to get out and interact with one another. I am very glad that I decided to attend Southeast Missouri State University.

Deidra

The school itself is just an amazing school. You are always surrounded by incredible people who are always there to hep if needed and even when not needed. The professors here are all about you passing. if you are having a hard time with a subject they willl stay in their office hours as long as you need them too and not complain about having somewhere else to be because your education is important to them especially if you are actually trying in class.

Shianne

My overall opinion on Southeast Missouri State University is that is is a pretty good campus. The price isn't that high for what the school is worth. Yeah, it's kinda a small town and things that you see in a big town isn't there but there's alternative places that you will find what you are looking for. But the campus is big like really big and there's always something that you can do like volunteer, join a frat/ sorority, join a club, go to a game, or go to a party. The people on the campus are friendly and so are the professors.

Jordyn

I think Southeast Missouri State University is an overall fantastic university. The campus has a wide variety of activities to do, but isn't too large and perfect for walking class to class. I am excited to live on campus in a suite because the students are very friendly and the facilities are nice and kept up with. I can't wait to attend in the fall!

Logan

What I think of SEMO? With major classes I think SEMO thrives, but with general education classes they are useless and honestly have the worst teachers at which you pay for a PowerPoint. I don’t think all the general education teachers are that way but most are. All together though SEMO is a school that is jam packed with fun things to do and great clubs to join. I myself am in Greek life and I’ve been in it since my freshmen year. The food is decent but being on campus is amazing as I guarantee anybody who comes will most definitely make some friends. I would recommend Southeast Missouri State University

Kaitlynn

During my initial visit on the campus of Southeast Missouri State University, I was really amazed with how the classrooms were so advanced with the latest technology. There were many programs being offered that sparked my interests such as the Drone classes! The teaching programs are #1 in my book!!! I look forwarded to attending SEMO University!

Sneha

Overall, I feel like this is a good quality school in a quaint college town. Being a student athlete, I don't usually have much time for extracurriculars, but I do know that many people are there to help new students fit in, especially in the beginning of the school year. Also, the professors and faculty are very supportive and nice, and they are always ready to help any students with their concerns.

NAOMI

I LOVE THE CAMPUS SINCE I FIRST STARTED IN AUGUST 2013. THE CAMPUS IS NICE AND EVERYONE IS VERY FRIENDLY. THE FACULTY AND STAFF REALLY DO CARE ABOUT THE STUDENTS. THERE IS ALWAYS SOMETHING TO DO WHETHER ITS A GAME CAMPUS FAMILY EVENTS AND EVEN SORORITY EVENTS. ITS JUST ONE BIG FAMILY.

TaSha

When it came to college, I always pictured myself going to Howard University in Washington, D.C. Going to SEMO wasn’t my first choice when it came to me choosing the school of my dreams. I remember talking to my school advisor after taking a tour of SEMO and telling him how gorgeous the campus was. I am thrilled my school advisor talked me into looking more into SEMO and giving it a chance. I’ve had so many astonishing opportunities that opened for me and I’m so grateful for everything and everyone involved. Before going to SEMO, I was extremely shy to do anything. I am still shy, but SEMO opens doors for me to come out of my shell. I remember taking a first-year seminar class and our final exam was writing a paper and then prepare a presentation for the class. I was frightened out of my mind. I don’t like public speaking at all it does not mix well with my shyness. I talked to my advisor and she gave me all kinds of tips on how to prepare and overcome public speaking. And I went into class, still nervous, but I did, and I aced it. Later, I did something I would have the courage to do, and that was doing a pageant. I did the pageant at SEMO, I met so many people that helped me with networking. I built a bond and formed friendships that I love dearly. The food is good there is so much to choose from. Living in the dorm the RA’s are like mentors. The RA's are truly there to help you and mine were awesome there were for me lots during the stressful finals’ week and just a person there to listen to all my problems If I had any. You’ll have several resources to be able to succeed and it’s difficult to be bored while doing it. I enjoy the dedication that my professors and other staff put into my education and towards me a person. There are endless ways to get involved on this campus, and all of them welcome new members with open arms. The sense of community at this university is like none other! I’m enjoying my time at SEMO! It's a beautiful campus full of many different people, majors, and activities.

Deana

Overall, Southeast Missouri State University is a wonderful school. There is something for students of every race, age, religion, ethnicity, major, and interest. The town doesn’t feel like a party town, instead it feels welcoming and homey. There are good restaurants near campus as well as good food choices on campus. The parking for students is less than ideal, but they are currently working to improve the situation. The campus is laid out over a wide stretch of ground, and the buildings and landscaping are beautiful.

According to all known laws of aviation, there is no way that a bee should be able to fly. Its wings are too small to get its fat little body off the ground. The bee, of course, flies anyway. Because bees don’t care what humans think is impossible.” SEQ. 75 - “INTRO TO BARRY” INT. BENSON HOUSE - DAY ANGLE ON: Sneakers on the ground. Camera PANS UP to reveal BARRY BENSON’S BEDROOM ANGLE ON: Barry’s hand flipping through different sweaters in his closet. BARRY Yellow black, yellow black, yellow black, yellow black, yellow black, yellow black...oohh, black and yellow... ANGLE ON: Barry wearing the sweater he picked, looking in the mirror. BARRY (CONT’D) Yeah, let’s shake it up a little. He picks the black and yellow one. He then goes to the sink, takes the top off a CONTAINER OF HONEY, and puts some honey into his hair. He squirts some in his mouth and gargles. Then he takes the lid off the bottle, and rolls some on like deodorant. CUT TO: INT. BENSON HOUSE KITCHEN - CONTINUOUS Barry’s mother, JANET BENSON, yells up at Barry. JANET BENSON Barry, breakfast is ready! CUT TO: "Bee Movie" - JS REVISIONS 8/13/07 1. INT. BARRY’S ROOM - CONTINUOUS BARRY Coming! SFX: Phone RINGING. Barry’s antennae vibrate as they RING like a phone. Barry’s hands are wet. He looks around for a towel. BARRY (CONT’D) Hang on a second! He wipes his hands on his sweater, and pulls his antennae down to his ear and mouth. BARRY (CONT'D) Hello? His best friend, ADAM FLAYMAN, is on the other end. ADAM Barry? BARRY Adam? ADAM Can you believe this is happening? BARRY Can’t believe it. I’ll pick you up. Barry sticks his stinger in a sharpener. SFX: BUZZING AS HIS STINGER IS SHARPENED. He tests the sharpness with his finger. SFX: Bing. BARRY (CONT’D) Looking sharp. ANGLE ON: Barry hovering down the hall, sliding down the staircase bannister. Barry’s mother, JANET BENSON, is in the kitchen. JANET BENSON Barry, why don’t you use the stairs? Your father paid good money for those. "Bee Movie" - JS REVISIONS 8/13/07 2. BARRY Sorry, I’m excited. Barry’s father, MARTIN BENSON, ENTERS. He’s reading a NEWSPAPER with the HEADLINE, “Queen gives birth to thousandtuplets: Resting Comfortably.” MARTIN BENSON Here’s the graduate. We’re very proud of you, Son. And a perfect report card, all B’s.