Harrisburg, IL
Southeastern Illinois College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Southeastern Illinois College

Kayli

On the night of October 11th, it was my senior night. I had been looking forward to this night since my freshman year, when I had just begun high school volleyball. It seemed like such a special night to all the seniors before me, but as I grew older I did not find it as interesting. As it was approaching, I had forgot to even tell my parents about it because I was not that excited for it. The days leading up to this event had me questioning whether I should be excited, sad, or both for this night. After a day full of schoolwork and stress, I went home to get prepared for this game. As I arrived at the school, my teammates would not let me in the building and I was so confused. After about 20 minutes of me waiting they finally let me inside, where I found the gym was decorated and there were posters with each of the senior’s names and numbers. I was truly touched when I saw this because I was not expecting it. Two of my best friends that are on the team got me a gift and I didn’t know until they gave it to me and it was a small bag full of my favorite candy. To most people, it was just a bag of candy but the fact that they went out of their way to get me candy to make me feel better meant the world to me.

emma

it is boring.

it is boring.

Overall, Southeastern Illinois College is a great community college. Teachers are always available to help with homework or answer any questions. Class sizes are relatively small, allowing a friendlier learning environment. But best of all, Southeastern Illinois College is affordable. There are many different scholarship opportunities for those willing to work for them. There is also a variety of student worker jobs available. If you want to get a head start on college, Southeastern Illinois College offers dual credit classes that allow you to start taking college classes while still in high school. There are many opportunities to get involved in theatre or musical programs. There are also many different clubs, from the Math & Science club to successful speech team. The globally recognized association, Phi Theta Kappa, has a branch at Southeastern Illinois College. Maybe you are an introvert and need some private space. No problem there. Southeastern Illinois College offers rooms specified to your major for you to hang out in. The Green Room, for Theatre students, offers a lazy place to hang out and relax. The Music Lab offers music majors a place to jam out or study. The Business lab offers business majors a room full of computers for their personal use. Not only does Southeastern Illinois College have a cafeteria with decent food, but they also have a coffee shop thanks to their amazing Student Government. The Student Government pays special care to meet the needs of students, as well as treating them to special places like the Starbucks Coffee Shop.

Tyler

First, I would have applied to Southern Illinois University in Carbondale, IL to get a real university experience and live in a dorm. I chose to go to a community college because I was afraid to leave home, and go to a bigger school. Secondly, I think I would have placed more emphasis on my studies in the first year. I got distracted and realize now, that was not the smartest thing to do Of course, I am paying for it now, but realize how important getting a college education is.

Southeastern Illinois College is a small community college which prepares students to go to a larger university. The professors care about their students, always available to help. The school offers extracurricular activities, and it is a close knit school. Because it is in a small town, most students know one another, but welcome new students with welcome arms. I believe Southeastern has prepared me to go beyond and excell at a university. Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, is where I have set my sights.

A person with a good sense of community should attend this school. Harriburg is a small town that really cares about its residents. For example, if someone gets hurt, immediately there is a spaghetti dinner or fundraiser to help with medical expenses. This community has always pulled together. I am glad I live here. Southeastern Illinois College continues this by being accessible to their students, professors help in anyway they can. The school has really prepared me to go beyond.

Danny

I would not have taken on so many hours at work. It is very tough to go to work and school both full time. I would love to return to high school and put even more effort into my classwork than I did. I found out at college you cannot have a "do over". It is all or nothing. I had to do a lot of "growing up" when I went to college. I would have listened more to my teachers in high school because they knew more than I did. I did make good grades, but I could have done better.

I wish I had known how great the school is to work with me one on one when I need help. I go to school full time and I also work a job on midnight full time and the only thing I really would have realized is how difficult it is to do both with very little sleep.

There is really nothing frustrating about the school itself. I think they have great teachers and a good curriculum. I wish that they had more choices in music because music is my major. I want to teach music and the most confusing thing for me is that I do not know exactly for sure what classes are required to take before I transfer to a university

Southeastern Illinois College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.