Hammond, LA
Southeastern Louisiana University

Extracurricular Activities

Nearby Shops and Services

Sara
Why did you decide to go to this school?

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I decided to attend Southeastern for three main reasons. The first reason would be so that I could be away from home, but remain close just in case anything happens. The second reason would be because of their excellent music program. The third reason would be because it was cheaper to stay in state, than to go out of state.

harley

Students at SELU are very competitive, especially in the major I am enrolled in, nursing. SELU has one of the top nursing schools in Louisiana and people with a 3.8 GPA have been turned down in its most competitive semester. If you do not give it your all, you will lose to someone who will give it their all. This allows me to embrace my nature to win and causes me to strive to be better.

Lane

Southeastern is great because it is not so big and your teachers grt to know you.

If i could go back and talk to high school self i would have told him "Lane you need to buckle down and concentrate on your studies and never miss class it hinders your preformance."

I love to tell people that the teachers at Southeastern get to know you better on a one on one baisis.

MELISSA

What is unique about Southeastern compared to other schools is that we our classes are considered small. This is a great thing since that means you can create a personal relationship with teachers, faculty, and staff. At Southeastern, you aren't just another number, but an actual student.

If I could go back in time, I would ease my nerves about the whole college experience. Trust me, there are many responsibilities, dead lines, and requirements of being a college student, but stressing over college is the last thing you need to do. I would definitely encourage myself to apply for as many scholarships as I could, and invest more time in choosing a degree that would interest me. Also, keeping everything organized is a good tip. Between 17 hours at school and a busy work week, things can get very hectic, but with a good planner to see when things are do, you can balance everything together nicely and really see where your priorities need to be. Another thing I would want to ensure myself is to have a good time, and enjoy every second! Time flies by too fast to not take every adventure life takes you on!

The best thing about Southeastern Louisiana University is the campus. The campus is tobacco free so there is no need to worry about second hand smoke, and the campus is absolutely beautiful. There has been many renovations in the past couple years to make the campus more convenient for their students. There is a brand new student union which is the perfect place to relax with friends after a busy day at school.

Zaria

If I could go back in time and provide advice to my “senior” self in high school, I would start off by saying that you have to have a plan because without one you do not know where you sure be or what you should be doing and this goes for not only your classes but for your everyday life as well. Being in college has taught me to not only map my day and classes out so that I know where to stop and take breaks and where free time is available but it has also taught me to be organized and persist in everything that I do because without organization and a plan all that you want to do you won’t have time to do.

I consider the professors to be the best thing about my school. They know what they are doing and they are able to get the students to undestand the concepts they are teaching.

I wish I would have known that thre were few stores.

Amberly

The worst thing about my school is the students. It seems entirely too fraternity/sorority based creating a highly judgemental vibe throughout. Personally, I hate walking around and doing things on campus because I feel so judged just for not being affiliated in their group.

I brag about how small the classrooms are making it easier to learn and get help from the teacher. Also, I like to tell my friends about the new union and how beautiful it is.

Courtney

College is defiantly more fun than High school, but it is no walk in the park. College does cost more and it is time since you are an adult to take responsibility. My first piece of advice is to apply for more scholarships than you did, because as I mentioned earlier college is pretty expensive and you have to pay for it. Secondly, I know it was not fun, but take the ACT again, the higher the score the more awards you could have received. My third piece of advice is get a job early start saving now because if you want to study abroad it cost a pretty penny. College has brought bliss to me, but I also know the bliss will turn into financial stress because money only goes so far. Although I’m working at a job I love, as a full time student you can only work so much in order to maintain a perfect GPA. My final advice would be this, if you want a miracle to happen, you have to make it happen. Do not sit around and wait until something maybe falls into your lap, go out and make your dreams come true.

The kind of person that should attend this school is someone who is laid back, hardworking, and most of all decicated. You need to be relaxed about the cruve balls that will be thrown your way, hardworking because school is not a picnic, and decaited enough to attend your classes and actively listen.

I love to tell my friends about the book rental program we have here at Southeastern Louisiana Universtiy. Every class if it has a textbook that you need to rent will always be just forty-five dollars. It does not matter if it is five books in the class to rent all five books for that one class would just be forty-five dollars. I have saved so much money here, with my six courses I only spent two hundred and seventy dollars on books, where as my firends in other schools spent closer to one thousand.

Ashton

Helpful. Most of the people I have encountered will help you with anything you could possibly need.

The campus is a great size. It is not to big not to small. You really begin to feel like you know people.

If I could go back in time., I would tell myself to stay focused on school. My freshamn year, I was on the danceteam and due to all of the excitement surrounded by that, I lost sight of the importance of my education. I lost TOPS due to this lack of focus. I do not regret anything from my past because it has shaped me into the person I am today, however, I wish I would have focused on school more.

Caitlyn

Southeastern Louisiana University is a fantastic university that engages students and academically prepares them for their future endeavors.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to strive harder and to never give up on your dreams. Anything is possible and you can truly do anthing you want to do as long as you push yourself. I would also tell myself to make sure you set aside time for studying. The first year in college is the hardest and I think it is important that incoming freshmen know not to give up; keep trying, push yourself, and you will go far in life.

The worst thing about Southeastern Louisiana University is the limited amount of degree programs. They offer a wide variety of standard degree programs, but are limited in specific interests.

We use the most current publicly available data. As such, we don't remove or edit college information. Sources for school statistics and data include the U.S. Department of Education's National Center for Education Statistics and the Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System. Portions of college data include copyrighted material, which is reproduced on this website by permission of Wintergreen Orchard House, a division of Carnegie Communications. © 2009-2016 by Wintergreen Orchard House. All rights reserved.
Financial aid at this institution is only available for those who qualify.