Hammond, LA
Southeastern Louisiana University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Southeastern Louisiana University

I have learned many life skills, such as working with others, problem solving, and how to work in a professional environment. The people at this school are friendly and willing to help. There is always tutoring program somewhere on campus that is willing to help. I also feel that by attending this school I will be ready to face the world when I graduate. Being in the education department, I feel by the time I graduate I will be able to step in a classroom and feel at home. The department requires so many hours spent in schools observing and teaching before you can graduate, this is something I admire greatly about the university.

People who are not serious about school. If you do not do the school work or come to class you will fail, and there is no point in even coming to the school if your going to do that.

The most frustrating thing is the financial aid program. The people that work in the office are not very friendly, and finacial aid is really hard to get. Also, when you do get finacial aid it takes a long time for you to actually get the money, sometimes school has already started and you have to find a way to pay for school and then just get paid back.

Erika

It was the beginning of the fall 2009 quarter and as I walked into the doors of Barber Hall I thought, "THis is going to determine the rest of my lifes future." It has only been four months and this has already turned out to be true. I have learned so much through my experience here at TVCC. First of all would have to be using my time wisely. With all of my homework and a part time job it is pretty challenging to keep a 4.0 gpa. But most importantly, I have learned to follow my heart and do what I want to do. I had started with an intent to major in nursing, but through my experiences in class and with other people, I started to realize that I am not made for this, and just because my parents want me to be a nurse doesn't mean I have to be. And finally I have learned to be happy in life, no matter what gets me down, whether it be bills or a hard assignment, I will never lose faith that I will succeed. And maybe with your help, I can change the world through art.

Lexi

I believe my school is best known for their Nursing Program, which is why I chose to attend. They have a phenominal Nursing Program that is one of the top in the state. It's very challenging, but well worth it!

I have learned many things although I have only been in college for approximately seven months. College is surely no joke, which I learned very quickly when entering. It is very important to do your work and not to procrastinate. As long as a college student stays on top of their work, they are very likely to be successful. These are the students that also have the most fun. If you stay ahead with your work you aren't so stressed out and can actually get some fun out of the whole college experience rather than procrastinating and cramming right before a test. Also, studying is no joke in college. I was not a big studier in highschool, but in order to succeed in college a few hours a week of studying and homework for each class is definitely required. I have enjoyed the past seven months and have caught on to the whole "college" thing very quickly. I'm glad to be here and can't wait to see what the future holds for me!

Honestly, there is nothing truly frustrating about attending Southeastern Louisiana University. Everyone around campus is very friendly and willing to help out. The campus is not too big, so getting from class to class is very convenient. They have many activities available so that you can have fun while attending school. The library is fantastic while they also have a tremendous workout facility. I love going to Southeastern and now that I have been here for about seven months I know that I wouldn't want to go anywhere else.

I have gotten a lot of valuable life lessons out of my college experience which have prepared me for this next chapter in life. I have learned to mangage my time and organize what my priorities are when it came to my studies. I have learned how to become more responsible for my actions and what it means to be held accountable. If i had the knowledge of how to apply these skills as a highschool senior, I know that I would have had better grades my freshmen year and I would have known the importance of making school a priority.

Southeastern Louisiana University is an amazing school that allows the student's to have close teacher/student relationships and is a wonderful place to achieve higher education.

The most unique characteristic about Southeastern Louisiana University is that it's a smaller college. Southeastern gives the student's opportunities to become more familiar with not only their teachers but their peers as well. Along with this, the buildings are close together and allows the students to have time to explore everything the campus has to offer during his or her break.

I have gotten a sense of pride since I have begun attending Southeastern Louisiana University. Knowing that I am becoming a more respectable individual and that I am preparing myself for the future makes me motivated to go to school everyday. I enjoy waking up and wondering what new and exciting fact I will learn. SELU has changed my life, and I am so thankful that I have had the opportunity to attend such a great school.

Christopher

All of my classmates are mainly very focused on the subject at study. Some are focused on other priorities such as going out on school nights and skipping class which i know by being aquainted with many.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior knowing what i know now about college life i would have plenty of advice to give. First I would start by telling myself to use all resources that are available, and will result in bettering myself as an individual. I now understand how essential it is to use every tool that i encounter. I would tell myself to set realistic goals and strive to achieve them. I would tell myself how important it is for myself to be ready to adopt new and harder study habbits, and how a couple nights of fun could jeopardize a life of accomplishments. It is easy to look back at past mistakes and think of what i could have done to change them. Truly though i can take those past mistakes and strive for a better future.

I wish i had known how much i would have to drastically change my study habbits. In High School i would just go to class and pay attention. Hardly any studying was necessary. Now that i am in College i have noticed that i must be aware at all times during class lectures and be ready to take notes at any minute.

Carly

If I could meet the me of the past, I'd tell her three simple words: keep the faith. I've found that in college, people suffer from a general lack of faith--in themselves, in their relationships, in their decisions, in their world. People seem to be aimless during the first year of college, and that loss of vision of the future is what leads to easy mistakes that can make reaching goals even harder. I'd say, "Have faith that your path is being laid before you and that you are taking the right step. Until you feel that security, then don't decide; and as soon as you feel that security, hold on to it with both hands." If I had known that, then the little anxieties I had about choosing a college and fitting in once I got there may have been avoided. So now, I find that I tell myself to keep the faith with my new decisions and allow my path to fold out before me.

Someone who is looking for a large university wouldn't like Southeastern. It is a good school with a moderate amount of students, and the student-to-teacher ratios are usually 1:11. Someone who wants an elite school wouldn't like Southeastern either because the student body is very diverse academically, making a place for everyone. Someone who wants big-city life may not like the Hammond area because it is very suburban. However, the campus is near the downtown area and recrearional facilities.

The atmosphere a Southeastern is very laid-bak and comfortable. The people are friendly, the grounds are lovely, and the buildings are newly renovated. There's a great gym, library, and cafeteria. The dorms are new and kept in good condition. The teachers are helpful and highly qualified.

Denise

Many of the people that I have met at Southeastern are very welcoming.

Many of the people that I have met at Southeastern are very welcoming.

If I had the chance to talk to myself as a highschool senior I would probably just say relax. I look back now and remember worrying about getting accepted, trying to get my grades in order, and making last minute decisions. If I had the chance, I would have liked to do things differently. I wouldn't have taken so long to take the ACT before leaving highschool. I also would have taken it more than once. Thinking of all the scholarships I could have applied for and didn't, makes me realize that things probably would have been easier and less stressful to deal with. What mainly got me in my transition from highschool to college was how spaced out everyone is now. In highschool the friendships and the classes are a lot more personal. I would tell myself that it is infact a very large transition but it's manageable. I don't think I could ever give the right advice to prepare myself for college. Not many people are completely sure and prepared. If I went back in time I would tell myself to enjoy life, chase dreams, and just breathe because it's only the begininning.

There are so many different majors to choose from.

Evelyn

If I could go back and tell myself somthing as a high school senior, I would tell myself to wake up your living in reality. Since I turned 18 my senior year in highschool and I was already living in college town, all I could focus my time was to parting. I made alot of bad decisions my senior year. I moved out of my parents house, I dropped my 3.9 GPA to a 3.4 within one school year, rearely attending school, and most of all joing the overpopulated group of teenage mothers. All of these decisions have affected my college life tremendously. I lost many of scholarships that where awaiting me, I passed highschool by the skin of my teeth, and now have a daughter that I am responsible to take care of on my own for my college life. Although I would go back in time and tell myself that I should not have done those things, I think they are the reasone for where I am today. I am a 4.0 GPA college student and mom and I could not be more thankful.

The best thing about my school would be the opportunity to become a well rounded individual. There are many things my school as to offer. Things such as Greek life, intramural sports, school sports, class selection available (especially for electives), and overall just the social enviornment that Southeastern Louisiana University has to offer. I would definately reccommend it to anyone.

The most frustrating thing about school would be time management. You do not have anyone telling you when you should do somthing or what you should do. Being a mom, working full time, and being a full time student reqires some serious time management skills. Time management is the key to becoming a successfull college student. Learning how to become a responsible student is also another frustrating but mandatory task.

Janelle

My classmates are a very diverse group.

My classmates are a very diverse group.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself about college life, knowing what I know now, I would be very persistent with my advice. The first and most important piece of advice would be to take it slow. There will be enough time to figure out what it is that you want to do; the more pressure you feel, the the more you will want to quit. Take the time to really learn about yourself as you take courses that interest you. Go to class. When your teachers see you trying they will be more apt to help you when you need it. Communicate with your professors and your classmates. These are the people who can be your crutch at the most critical times. Set aside some time for yourself. Do not get so enveloped with school work that you forget to take care of yourself. And lastly, be smart with your money. Start a savings. If you do not need to spend money, then don't. You never know what obstacles will be thrown in your path. But mostly, remember that you are why you are in school. Make the very most of it. Good Luck!

The worst thing about SELU is that it is one of the fastest growing schools in Louisiana and maybe USA. I find that the employees of the university seem to be overwhelmed and can sometimes present themselves as being annoyed with any questions that come their way.

Southeastern Louisiana University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.