Southeastern Louisiana University

« See more reviews of Southeastern Louisiana University

People who have the opportunity to go to college are probably going to experience the most of their life changes during this time. Therefore, parents and students must take the appropriate measures to ensure that a college education is affordable and appropriate for the student. For some students? there are financial limitations to the university in which they can attend. Universities offer financial assistance in the form of grants, scholarships, and loans. Grants and scholarships? is money offered which does not have to be paid back, unlike loans. Universities differ in the amount of money offered for educational expenditures, which is important to note when planning a college career. Once students? determine financially feasible universities he or she is able to attend they should explore these college campuses. This lets students familiarize themselves with the different universities and the learning environments they provide. Most importantly, students should be honest about their learning preferences and abilities before choosing a university. Emphasis on choosing the location of higher education is vital for each student to achieve all that higher education has to offer. That is the foundation this generation will use to build a future greater than the one inherited.

As you embark upon the wonderful journey from high school into college, many factors should be taken into consideration for choosing the right school. As a recent college graduate, I can now look back on the decisions I have made and provide others with some useful insight. First, I recommend developing a list of your ?wants? from a college such as out of state location, availability of a certain major, security, active campus life etc. Next, complete research on several schools by applying your list and seeing what each college offers. This allows you to narrow down your options. At this point, you should visit each campus, not only to visualize the surroundings, but also to speak with representatives and other students to gain overall opinions of the school. Lastly, when finalizing your choice, try to disregard the decisions of your peers. In doing so, it opens doors that may not have been available if you just went with the crowd. Make the best of your college years, for is a time of excitement, maturity, independence, and most of all learning. Work effortlessly to achieve your goals and take every opportunity to meet new people?it will fly by!

I have learned the value of perseverance. I am an adult learner that has faced many challenges while attempting to complete my college degree. From raising a family; as well as financial challenges, I have been taking courses off-and-on since 1979. I came to this university as a licensed practical nurse; seeking a bachelors degree in nursing. I wasn't able to attend school full time, as the degree program demanded. I did some research; and found that a degree in health educatuion and promotion would open many doors for me-as well as present opportunities I'd never dreamed of. I was burned out in nursing, but found that the knowledge I already posessed caused me to excel in my classes in health education. I am nearing the end of my studies and am very excited, I have spoken to my advisors about attending graduate school. My professoes have been so helpful; as well as offering the guidancethat I'd never found at any of the other universities I'd attended, I wish that I'd come to Southeastern Louisiana University years ago. I am so glad that I persevered in my college experience.

College. It may be one of the most important decisions of your life. You will overthink every option, weight all the pros and cons, and you will still, somehow, always find yourself asking, "Did I make the right choice." I understand these feelings of confusion and dread. The best advice I could offer to someone who is in the process of making this critical choice, would be: RELAX. Congradulate yourself for making it this far and choosing to further your education. When I graduated highschool, my main concern was: "What do I do know?" I never thought to take a moment to enjoy the victory. So now it is your turn. After deciding where you should go, you should ask yourself: "Where do I WANT to be?" Staying close to home may seem like the ideal choice. It's where all your friends are going and you will be close to mom and dad, right? But did you ever wonder about the choice to explore your world? Think of the opportunities and people you will meet along your journey through colllege if you just gave yourself a little push to try something out of your comfort zone.

If I had the chance to talk to myself as a highschool senior I would probably just say relax. I look back now and remember worrying about getting accepted, trying to get my grades in order, and making last minute decisions. If I had the chance, I would have liked to do things differently. I wouldn't have taken so long to take the ACT before leaving highschool. I also would have taken it more than once. Thinking of all the scholarships I could have applied for and didn't, makes me realize that things probably would have been easier and less stressful to deal with. What mainly got me in my transition from highschool to college was how spaced out everyone is now. In highschool the friendships and the classes are a lot more personal. I would tell myself that it is infact a very large transition but it's manageable. I don't think I could ever give the right advice to prepare myself for college. Not many people are completely sure and prepared. If I went back in time I would tell myself to enjoy life, chase dreams, and just breathe because it's only the begininning.

The most important person's opinion when it comes to finding the right college is the perspective students. Each student should make a list of what they want in a college experience and then go to senior days or have tours and visits to each college they want. Then, make a pro and con list for each college. Of course if parents are paying for the student to go their price limit has to be included, but parents should not try to influence the students decision. If the student decides that college is the best for them then "hoo-ray" for both of you. Choosing the best college is what kicks off making the most of a college experience. The college experience can best be described by the old cleche` "This is the best years of your life". For me it has been and that is because I made a healthy balance between fun and studying. To achieve that, all that has to be done is use common sense when planning outings. My eldest sister taught me this when I was looking at colleges and now I am proud to pass it on to other that might need help.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself about college life, knowing what I know now, I would be very persistent with my advice. The first and most important piece of advice would be to take it slow. There will be enough time to figure out what it is that you want to do; the more pressure you feel, the the more you will want to quit. Take the time to really learn about yourself as you take courses that interest you. Go to class. When your teachers see you trying they will be more apt to help you when you need it. Communicate with your professors and your classmates. These are the people who can be your crutch at the most critical times. Set aside some time for yourself. Do not get so enveloped with school work that you forget to take care of yourself. And lastly, be smart with your money. Start a savings. If you do not need to spend money, then don't. You never know what obstacles will be thrown in your path. But mostly, remember that you are why you are in school. Make the very most of it. Good Luck!

Don't be fearful of this stage in your life. Just live it. All it is is the next step, like going from middle school to high school. A few thoughts: You have to learn when it's best to listen to your mind and when it's best to listen to your heart. Neither of them is bad; they are both a part of who you are. They're just different. Discovering is fun though, so have a blast! College is like life condensed. The semesters may seem to drag, but the years fly by. Don't waste this time. Managing your time is more critical than managing your money (which is very important). Take advantage of everything that crosses your path, and go after the things that may not necessarily come your way without your pursuit. Don't be a follower (in the bad sense). You are the main one who lives with your decisions when all is quiet at night and you lay down on your pillow. That's all college - and life for that matter - is: decisions. You won't always make the best one, but please don't dwell on that. I love you.

If I could go back in time, I would tell myself that it's not as hard as I think it'll be to go to college. It's well worth the trip, too, because of the different names and faces you meet. Everyone has a different background, including teachers. College is not a game though. To be successful in college you have to keep your mind on your goals. I have learned that you cannot count on friends to help pull grades up if they drop lower than they should have dropped. Also, it is great to have a social life, but when you lose focus of why you are here at school then you're wasting the hard earned money of your family, alumni, and even yourself. College is worth the experience even if you don't know what you want to be when you get here. As the days, months, and years pass on you will soon realize your purpose and you've got to put yourself out there to notice it. Organizations are worth it to invest your time in because you get out your stress, meet people, and even develop yourself in the process.

College is defiantly more fun than High school, but it is no walk in the park. College does cost more and it is time since you are an adult to take responsibility. My first piece of advice is to apply for more scholarships than you did, because as I mentioned earlier college is pretty expensive and you have to pay for it. Secondly, I know it was not fun, but take the ACT again, the higher the score the more awards you could have received. My third piece of advice is get a job early start saving now because if you want to study abroad it cost a pretty penny. College has brought bliss to me, but I also know the bliss will turn into financial stress because money only goes so far. Although I’m working at a job I love, as a full time student you can only work so much in order to maintain a perfect GPA. My final advice would be this, if you want a miracle to happen, you have to make it happen. Do not sit around and wait until something maybe falls into your lap, go out and make your dreams come true.