Southeastern Oklahoma State University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Southeastern Oklahoma State University

Brooke

I appreciate the school and everything it has done for me. I learned a great deal about myself and how much I have grown. I wasn't sure I was going to get in, but they gave me a chance. I was able to stand on my own, and be independent. I also took my cat with me, so I was able to see what life would be life like by myself. In terms of academics, I was originally doing quite poorly at my community college, but at Southeastern, I was able to primarily get A's and B's. I was able to push myself into a wonderful academic routine. Most importantly, I was able to believe in myself for a change. I had a positive outlook. I do love my school, but of course there are somethings that I wish that were better. For instance, I wish the housing director would be more open to students voices in the dorms. The school spirit is almost nonexistent in the living areas, the floors have white walls, so it tends to feel very isolated and lonely when walking around the dorm. I also wish some people could retire and step down, in order to allow new and more openminded people to take ranks. It's very important for colleges to recognize when certain mindsets are outdated. As for food, that is more of program issue. Sodexo ain't it sis. Quality became poor as more chefs quit and left due to pay issues. First year was awesome, as the years came and went...nope. Lastly, it would be the culture on campus. I grew up in a major city, so coming to a smaller town it was very lonely outside of classes. Speaking of loneliness, if you don't have a car, then you are stuck on campus. There wasn't much exploration outside of Southeastern, and many of the businesses that catered to our campus had to be accessed by a car. I was primarily living at Dollar General...ugh. Also, Durant the town has issues (no comment). Overall, I do like my school, Halloween is my favorite part of the year, so doing certain activities (Safe trick or treat, haunted house) super fun. My cat also likes the amount a nature around campus (birds, insects, and other little creatures/critters). Plus having four seasons is always lovely to watch. Just be mindful of summer /winter wasps. >.

Benjamin

I really enjoy Southeastern Oklahoma State University. They offer various kinds of degrees in a variety of different ways. For example, if the university has degree programs available online and in person. Some classes are offered as a 16-weeks course or an 8-weeks This aids students in having more freedom in deciding the best pace for their college experience.

Ryan

I love my school. It stands out and makes you feel appreciated to be there. The professors make you want to attend class! In addition, fellow students are extremely nice and social to where making new friends is extremely easy. The food and facilities are excellent also.

Morgan

It's a good school. Definitely a good choice for anyone looking to live around the Durant area. It is a little bit on the expensive side though. The staff is good. Most of the time, someone can help if you have a question or a problem. Overall, Southeastern is a good school.

Delainey

I absolutely love my college!! Everyone is so friendly here and we all get along great!! there is not a single person on this campus that won't say hi, and the professors remember you from year to year and if you need help, they are always available even outside of their office hours!!

Kailynn

Honestly after being here for 1 year I am transferring. When you are recruited here, they honestly make it sound amazing and it is not. I have plenty of friends and I play a sport here, but honestly outside of that there is nothing to do here. The teachers are nice, and most easy. The cafeteria is down right awful. There is always at least two weeks out of the month where kids get food poising from eating there. I lived in the dorms and out of the dorms and I can honestly say that from both perspectives its not worth spending college life here. On weekends everyone either goes home or they go to one house which hosts really bad house parties and they get wasted because there is nothing else to do. No one goes to the lake because it is too cold, and no one has a boat. There are no really good food places, or ones that stay open 24/7. Most people I know are alcoholics because they literally have nothing else to do than, sports and school. The outside environment is really trashy as well. This isn't me trashing on the school I mean I appreciate my education and all the teachers that helped. Honestly if I could just keep the teachers, and sport, and just change the location and school then I would love it. The teachers are easy, and if they are hard they actually teach you useful information. I am just trying to help out other students looking into this school. Look if you want an easy school with nice teachers, don't care to really party, or do fun things outside of school then this is your school. Don't go here for the nature aspect or the entertainment aspect because there is none. All in all make sure you really know the school before you go there.

Erin

I have attended Southeastern for 2 years now and have loved every minute on campus. The students and staff are all amazing and there is always someone right there if a student has any issues or questions. Housing can be fun if you make it fun. There are so many on-campus opportunities in Greek life, athletics, and student organizations. Go Savage Storm!!

Luis

Southeastern may seem really big at first, but as time goes by you can get familiar with all of campus. For students who come from small high schools, even though Southeastern is much bigger, it still has that small school vibe to it. Like in small high schools, you'll see familiar faces every day on campus.

Ciara

My overall opinion of SOSU is that it is a very tight-knit school, in that it reminds me of home. I like that quality, and I feel my colleges do as well. The professors have their class rules/expectations for the work they assign, but in of themselves they are mostly welcoming and willing to help. Southeastern is an older college, and you can tell, but mostly in a good way, as the faculty usually seems to want us to embark on its history, which gives the students (my friends and I, at least) a deeper feeling of school pride. Though there is always room for improvement, such as working emergency buttons on the posts outside of the school, or more class options for a particular major, I like Southeastern and would definitely recommend it for anyone looking for a nice community college.

Kaitlyn

Southeastern is overall a great consideration for a college. They are a small enough campus that the professors are always available to help. Although there are many buildings on campus, it is easy to find your way around. It is a safe environment, campus police are always there to serve and protect. This college also offers great academic activities for every student. There is something for everyone to get involved in! I absolutely love my Savage Storm family!

Masheli

Southeastern Oklahoma State University has a very welcoming environment. The professors are very open to communicating with their students and there are always activities and groups that are welcome to anyone. The school is small enough that it easy to find a group of friends that you will know for the rest of your life.

Balie

It is a very homelike and comfortable university. By being a part of the school, you are apart of a giant, loving family. Everyone on campus is determined to help you strive to become the best person you can. There is always someone around the corner to help with anything you need. Whether it be school work or a shoulder to cry on, you can always count on a Savage to have your back.

Mollie

Overall, Southeastern is a very good school. They have a good variety of things to participate on campus. One thing that sets Southeastern apart from others schools is its size. SE is a small school, with small class sizes. It is easy to connect to your professors and your peers. You constantly see familar faces on campus! If you are more comfortable in a small town environment, Southeastern is the school for you!

Kelsie

I’m only a concurrent student right now, but I can already tell I am going to love it next year. All the professors are super friendly and helpful in every way they possibly can be. The students are all involved in activities and sports and stuff on the campus and it’s extremely encouraging and inviting as a incoming student.

donna

This is my first semester with SE and I love it. My professors are always available and make class interesting. The bookstore has been fantastic with helping fix some issues. Everyone is so helpful and there to make sure you get to focus on class and getting a great education!

Spencer

Southeastern Oklahoma State University has a fair amount of academic opportunities. Their Aviation program is top tier, offering a bachelor degree program that qualifies students for a restricted ATP certification, a rarity in the aviation world. Southeastern Oklahoma State University also provides numerous programs to get students involved in extra-curricular activities, however, their facilities seem a bit outdated.

Belinda

They have a good education program. If you want financial aid apply early. The cutoff for book advance is months before the semester actually begins. Wait to buy your books because some teachers will say you don’t need them. We need more special education majors!

Viviana

Southeastern Oklahoma State University is great to pursue your future. They offer so many great careers in a affordable price. The class size is perfect because the students get more help from professors. The campus is really nice and always clean.

Courtney

As someone who is from Durant, I really enjoy the small town feel. The class sizes are smaller and more intimate allowing for more one on one attention. Southeastern really embraces the togetherness of a small town and how people benefit from it. One of the best things about Southeastern is the small town feel but also the magnitude of diversity seen among campus. Students come from all over the world to attend school here because we have some of the best academic programs in the world, from aviation to business they have a little bit of everything. Southeastern really embraces the small town welcoming diversity and change to better the community.