Southeastern University Top Questions

Katelynn

I would tell myself to learn to time manage and learn to take better notes. I would tell myself that without a schedule and appropriate time management it is quite easy to get off track and realize you have run out of time. It is very stressful, but once you learn to manage your time appropriately it is much easier to get your assignments done.

What is advice exactly? I believe it's the act of giving information that was otherwise not known. I think one big word of advice I would give to my high school self is to simply LIVE. Life is full of messes, but if you worry about everything going on, you will miss the big picture. In high school, you are always told to live it up now, because you have to grow up after high school. That is not the case. College gives you tons of opportunites to live it up. There is always a way to stay connected and living life is what they want you to do in college. Another word of advice I would give to my high school self is to make friends for a lifetime, not just for a moment. In high school, you make friends in the moment, in college you make friends for a lifetime. I always stay intuned to what God has told me, and as a college student now, I can see those lifetime friendships forming, and it is amazing. Advice is always given, but sometimes not taken. If I knew then, what I know now, it would be better.

I would say don't stress so much about applying to a bunch of colleges but take the time to tour and to research schools and then choose your select favorites and apply to those! I only applied to one school because that was the only school I wanted to go to. Senior Year is supposed to be fun so dont stress to much about college because it will all fall into place in the end. Also apply for a lot of scholarships because it is expensive when you look at the numbers but there are thousands and thousands of organizations that want to give you money to get an education; so take full advantage! Don't take out loans unless you have too. Instead look for scholarships to cover those remaing balances. You will thank your future self when you aren't paying back student loans. Remember: you are not only bettering your future by getting an education but you are bettering the future of our generation by getting an education! Also, it is supposed to be fun! So take advantage of this season of your life; study hard, make friends, and create memories!

Bradley

I would go back and tell myself to take some AP and Honors classes, dual enroll and just plain study anything and everything to get yourself ahead. The fact is we never stop learning, there is so much knowledge out there so get started learning everything you can early and yes enjoy your childhood but make learning appart of that enjoyment you can never be to prepared.

Vivian

I would advise my former self to do all my assignments in full and listen to the wisdom that those around me offered. Many of my teachers prepared me well for college, however I could have been more prepared if I chose to listen to their advice and take in every learning experience they offered me. They warned me that the reading and writing would be rigorous in college. Naturally, they assigned a large amount of reading and writing. Sometimes I would try to find an easy way out of an assignment, but I would have learned more if I attempted the assignment in full. In addition, I was advised to apply for as many scholarships as I could. I did listen to this advice, but I could have applied for more. By doing assignments in full and applying for more scholarships, I could have used my time better in high school and would have been more prepared financially and academically for college life.

Elsa

The most influential advice I have received in my life is this: "the world is bigger than the town that you live in." I have grown up in a family that understands that there are so many opportunities beyond the limits of your comfort zone. As a senior in high school, I believe that this belief would have been a benefit to my aspirations. It is a waste to aim for a "comfortable life." I went to high school in a very small town of approximately 7,000 people. The intimate culture in these neighborhoods encourage everyone to attend the same universities, move back home, marry the high school sweatheart, and not to be concerned of things beyond the state borders. Although I am out of this town, attending a different school, I believe that I could have pushed myself farther. (Perhaps not geographically...) I believe that I made the right choice in attending Southeastern University. But I did not take opportunities, in high school, to expand my understanding of the world--the vastness of it. I know so little about the world that I live in. The people and cities that exist across the ocean. What do they think?

Lexus

College is every bit as fun and liberating as one can imagine, but with this new found freedom comes an extended level of responsibility. You are responsible for all of the information that you receive.Rather than viewing education through lenses that portray it as something to simply check off your list, as a chore, or as a "job", decide to change your perspective and look at education through a new lens that paints it as opportunity, honorable and as an adventure that few have the privilege and resources to embark on. If I could tell my high school self anything, it would be to learn everything you can with the purpose of sharing it with the world around you. It is a great honor and joy to have the keys to the vehicle to help you go any where you want, placed right in your hands. Learn more, retain more because by doing so it will help you love more. To love and connect is the heart of life and the beauty that many desire, seek and want to find. Learning helps you connect with more people, spend more time valuing it.

If I could go back in time to talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to cherish every moment. I would make sure that I would take nothing for granted. Being in college has opened my eyes to the real world and has reminded me of how great my high school experience was. I would take advantage of going back in time to remind my high school self of how important it is to cherish every moment and make memories.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to take a lighter load of courses for the first semester of college. During my senior year of high school, I chose to take General Biology (with lab work), English Composition, and Precalculus With Trigonometry for the fall term. Unbeknownst to me, I chose a combination of courses that proved to be extremely difficult to manage. College counselors would guide students in choosing classes they would be able to handle, especially during their first semester. My counselor failed to caution me against taking a science class and a math class in the same semester, which was what I ended up doing. In essence, I found out what an Honors College experience was like without taking Honors courses. I also had a part-time job, which took up much of my time to do schoolwork. I ended up getting a 4.0 in each of my courses, but it took a lot of determination to do so. I want to tell myself about this experience, explain what work was involved under these circumstances, and finally, to believe.

Laeleya

I truly wish I could really go back because I would tell my self to not underestimate myself and to make sure I get good grades. I would tell myself to join every club that I could and join a sport. I would also tell myself to not be ashamed of who I am.

Work hard and go where the Lord leads you. Trust in Him and have faith.

To my Senior Self, First thing, make sure you know what you want. This goes for you and I wish I could advocate this to every high scholar. Make sure you look for people who influence you. Look up to them and strive to match your career path to theirs. I am in the process of transferring from Southeastern University to University of South Florida. I can't tell you how much I am beating myself up for going to Southeastern University. Don't get me wrong, SEU is a fantastic school, and you will learn so much there, however, if I could do it over again, I would choose to start my Art degree instead of study Film. Even though you want to work in the Film industry, a Film degree is not necessarily the best choice for you. I know how torn you are, you love both. However, an art degree will open even more opportunities for you in your desired field. So this goes for not only you, but to every high scholar in the nation. Make sure you find a career you love. -Stephanie Jochman

Mai Hong

Explore the field that you want to work in. Everyone has this ideal picture of whatever field they want to go into looks like, but most of the time, it's not true. Talk to the actual workers. Ask them what their day usually consists of. Ask them why they like their job. Ask them what they don't like about their job. Ask them what kind of classes did they take in college. Try to shadow anyone who will let you. Research the job market. Your dream career may be dying in terms of jobs. Last, but not least, do not worry about your friends. If you were meant to keep your high school friends, you and your friends will set aside time to catch up with each other. Communication is a two way street, so if you talk to them, but they don't talk to you, let it go. You will discover new people in no time at all.

Alissa

I would have applied for more colleges/universities and seen what other options i had besides going to PSC. I would have also retaken the ACT to score higher so i would have been eligable for bright futures.

If I had the opportunity to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to straighten up and to start taking things more serious. If I could, I would go back to myself as a freshman but that's not what this is about. I would also tell myself to focus more on school and grades rather than focusing on girls and friends. I never realized exactly how beneficial it was to maintain a strong GPA and to do well in classes until I was applying to my school now, and realizing how much money in loans I was going to be taking out. Another piece of advise that I would give my senior self would be to get a job and save up money. Being able to pay off any expenses that your financial aid may not cover is very helpful and will keep you from digging yourself into debt with school loans. If I would have had this advise in high school, I would have finished top of my class and had potential for a full ride anywhere.

Brinda

What are you doing!? Get off your lazy bum and do your stinkin' homework! Why didn't you sign up for dual enrollment? THEY SAID IT WAS FREE!! You're gonna get to college and realize how much it costs and find yourself signing up for a ridiculous amount of scholarships! ... Who knows if they're even real! It's time to start taking life seriously. Start taking yourself seriously. Believe in yourself; you're way smarter than you give yourself credit for. If you would just put in the effort you would find all this out. Please find this all out soon...

I would choose a different degree program and start out in the military first. Instead of only getting my A.A.S in Criminal Justice I would finish a few years in the military and do the degree I am in now which is Human Services.

One advice I would give myself is to study and get involved right away. Ask professors for help if you need it. Continue to read the bible. Make new friends right away and talk to them.

I'm a firm believer in having no regrets. Every decision, mistake and choice I've made has gotten me to this point. I love where I am and who I am. That being said, I would, however, go back and tell my high school senior self to care more. I was very unhappy in high school. Even though I made good grades and graduated as valedictorian, I didn't care. I put hardly any thought into my graduating speech because of my unhappiness. I would tell myself that things get better after high school. It doesn't last forever, and that goes for both the good and the bad. Find the joy in the hard times.

If I had the opportunity to give advice to my high school senior self, I would offer some life-changing advice. First, I wuold suggest that I enroll in post-secondary classes. This would allow me to save a great amount of money and minimize my worry about finances and becoming overloaded with credit hours at my University. Not only would I be ahead of the four year plan that I was given, but I could fill my free time with other exciting activities. I could get to know people and truly enjoy a mostly stress-free college life. Of course my objection would be a lack of social life in high school, but i now know that those people are in the past and I am finding my family of best friends right now. I would be missing nothing but trouble by taking college courses instead of the normal high school classes. By using my time wisely as a high school studednt, I could completely rearrange my college experience. This lesson is proof that, in order to fully benefit, life down the road should definitely be considered when making choices in the moment.

Going into college is fun, so don't be nervous! Make sure you are open to trying new things on a whim and don't worry about what other people think! Be as friendly as you can, because the people you will meet in college are way better than the people you will meet in high school. Make sure you take advantage of your professors and really pick their brains, you're paying a lot of money to go there! Also, before you graduate, make sure you google different scholarships, because I really regret not doing that. College is one of the best experiences of my life, make the most of it!

Dear High School Senior, All of the dreams and ideas of college, leaving your family and friends behind, and embracing your individuality are about to become a reality. If I were in your shoes again, I would have changed many things. First, I would have considered my GPA. Is my GPA high enough to be recognized on the deans list at my future University? Next, I would consider my SAT and ACT scores. Did I study hard enough to recieve a high score? Are the scores high enough to be recognized by my University? Did I take the test more than once to recieve a higher score? Another to consider, did I involve myself in clubs, organizations and activities to be recognized by my University and Scholarship comittee? Did I search to the best of my ability for Scholarships online and through local organizations to relieve myself from college debt? The last and most important thing: Did I consider all of my options of majors and college choices before making a final decision and ask professionals about careers? Answer "yes" to all of these questions and you will be most successful in college. Good Luck. Thank you, Erika L. Winter

If I could go back in time and give myself advice about college and the transition, I would tell myself to start out with the easiest classes possible. With those easy classes, use the extra time to get involved in as many campus activities as you can. Through those you will meet a lot of people and also gain a lot of experience in a few different areas. Some of those activities you may even want to use on your resume and they could help you get a good job in the future.

Lindsey, Make the most of your planner, it will become your best friend. When you get to college make sure you mkae the most of each day and do not get too caught up in your homework, you will finish it before it is due. Be outgoing and over friendly, you don't know what kind of day the person walking next to you is having. Take the time to be by yourself and reflect on what is going on around you. Whatever you do do not date your freshman year, you will have enough changes to get used to so do no complicate it with a boy. Remember to call your family and even drive to visit them, they will be a part of your life forever, beyond the four years of college. Do not get too caught up in all the fashion and comparing that goes on, stay true to who you are and what you stand for. Most of all have fun, this is a crucial time in your life and you only get to be in college once!

Roshni

Since the age of 9, I have always known what I have wanted to do. I had my education and professional already planned out, wanting to go to law school and become a lawyer. Well, those plans did not exactly pan out how I had envisioned at that young age. I met my husband at the age of 20 and now being married for almost four years, we are expecting our second son in April! Winning this scholarship will help me to attain my new goals for school, new goals that work the best for my family. By winning this scholarship I can not only finish going to school, but help others in doing so as well. I have decided to pursue a degree in Human Services. This will enable me to counsel and help those in need. This scholarship will give me the opportunity to attain some of the goals I have had since I was a child, it will give me the opportunity to finish college!

Haleigh

I have gotten so much out of my college experience. I have learned how to be more out-going, faithful, courageous, and helpful. I have learned so much through my courses and I have improved my critical thinking skills. Not many people get the oppurtunity to attend such an amazing University that's as friendly and loving as Southeastern University. I can take what I have learned into the real world and use it anywhere. Earning your degree is important and can put you in your ideal profession, but learning how to gain friends, become more faith centered, and being brave are things you earn from experience. I have learned all of the qualities that are valued by so many people and I would not trade them for anything. Southeastern University is the perfect school to attend and I will attend through graduate school, it is the perfect campus for the perfect college experience.

Esterline

My college experience has thought me that I still need mommy and daddy. I also learn to better manage my time and to keep a sane mind when I have so much to do in so little time. It has been valuable to attend, because I met new people and widen my knowledge about the world.

One of the main things I have enjoyed are the relationships I have made and the impact I have had on people, and they on me. An experience that was especially significant to me was when I was a Resident Assistant. I loved being a "go to" person on campus. Even when woken up at 4am because students locked themselves out of their room, I was thrilled to be able to help. It was valuable because it taught me responsibility. I enjoyed meeting such a variety of people. I love to sit and listen to peoples' views on life, morals, eternity, or anything else they have an opinion on. I have found that if you listen long enough, you earn the privilege of then being able to speak and be heard; there is a great richness of life that comes with that privilege. The ability to influence people is scary and fulfilling and is valuable because 100{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of success involves interaction with people. Academically, I LOVE to learn and have thoroughly enjoyed the challenge of earning excellent grades. I have learned the valuable lesson of completing grueling work; life is hard and I have learned to rise to its challenge.

Kerstin

I have gotten Independence and an Identity out of my college experience. I have been able to find the major that fit best with me , which is social work. Going to a Christian University has allowed my growth spiritually and academically. I have made friends for life with the five girls that I currently live with. There is an abundance of experiences that I will walk away with but a few of them that are memorable are working on Student Government for two years and working alongside students to make change happen. I also have been required to be in an internship that is required for the social work major. In this internship i have gotten real life experience working with adoptions. This school has been so valuable to attend because all of these experiences are priceless and could have never been bought with a price.

caleb

Well my college is a christain college so I have been getting stronger in my faith. I have been learning how to lead more as well since attending this college.

The rewards of my college experience are endless. First and foremost, college is a test of my perseverence. When things get tough, I always remember how I feel at the end of the semester when I look at my transcript and see my final grades. I feel like I have accomplished something, even if it is one small step toward the big goal- graduation. College has taught me to finish what I start, to keep moving forward! College has taught me to multi-task while still demanding quality work from myself. College has taught me flexibility; things don't always go according to plan. College has made me realize certain skills that I already use on the job, and has taught me how to better execute those tasks. College has showed me that college, in itself, is worth it!

My college experience has allowed me to discover my identity and what I believe about the world. I have grown in my relationships with people back home as well as the new people that I have met. My professors truly care about me and want to see me succeed in all that I do. I know that I would not be the same person without the nurturing and learning that I have received at this university. I have learned to live on my own, responsibility, how to make good choices, social skills, and how to grow in my walk with God. I'm so thankful for the opportunity that I have to attend college because it has changed my life tremendously.

Well, I have just enrolled at University of Phoenix so i have not had the "experience" yet, but I am definately looking forward to it! I moved to Florida from the Detroit area about 2 years ago. Ever since, I have been fascinated with it's wildlife and ecosystems, especially the oceans. I plan on getting my Bachelor of Science in Environmental Science, then possibly furthering that with a degree in Marine Biology. Everyone at Unviversity of Phoenix has been very helpful so far and I can't wait to start my educational journey! Thank you for your time.

What i have gotten out of my college experience so far is that it is worth to try your best because in the end the hard work will pay off and i will be what im set out to be. It has been valuable to attend because it is important to learn as much as you can so you can be successful in the future.

I have not only been getting an absolutely amazing education, I have also been getting spiritual support from my school. I attend a private Christian university called Southeastern University. At this university the teachers not only care about me succeeding academically, but they care about me succeeding in my relationship with God. It is such an amazing opportunity to be able to attend this great university. I would recommend this university to anyone who wants to not only succeed in their future career, but also wants to succeed in their faith!

fedelene

I have gain a lot of experiences while being at Southeastern from the class room to being in Chapel even down to the clubs and activities. The classroom is not just an ordinary classroom; teachers are willing to work with you in class out of class in order to help you become more equip as a future professional in the work force. Chapels help you to draw close to God in a more intimate level, and the clubs and activities gives you an opportunity to have a fellowship with your peers and classmates. Bonding, connecting, and creating relationship that goes beyond our time here at Southeastern. It has been valuable to attend Southeastern University because you?re not only growing academically, but you?re also growing spiritually as well. It?s all about servant leadership and leading and being Christ like to others. Teachers praying before class starts, asking for prayer request because they understand that that life isn?t always full of sunshine and those stormy days can and will happen. Living as community and being there for others is the heart beat of this campus.

Every child has a dream of what they want to be when they grow up. Little girls want to be princesses or mommy's and little boys want to be firefighters or doctors. I had the same dream when I was a little girl. As I grew up, I realized God had a different plan for my life. I was meant to become a special education teacher and dedicate my life to educating children with special needs. It is very valuable for me to gain a college education in order to gain the knowledge and preparation needed to fulfill my purpose. Throughout my first year, college has taught me that life gets messy and that not everything goes just the way you plan it. I may experience bumps along the way, but it is important that I pick myself up and continue on towards the goal. College has also taught me how to go after my dreams. No one else can make me a special education teacher. I have to put everything I have into my education. No once else can do it for me.

Ethan

Dear High School Self, At your current age, you are quite stupid. I will now educate you with the wisdom that I have attained in the last few years. First of all, I see your grades every day. They are weighted now, and will get you high honors in high school, but many of them count for college credit, and B?s are unacceptable in college. In other words, do yourself a favor and get straight A?s now. The remaining advice is for general living and for making the transition to college easier. Don?t waste time on television or movies. You have better things to do. Also, don?t spend any time on girls until you are at least nineteen. If you do, you?ll be spending it on the wrong ones. Believe it or not, your parents and teachers really do know what?s best, so listen to them. Life without a job will not last, so enjoy it, and the piano and guitar both come naturally to you, so start teaching yourself. Most importantly, choose now to live to please God. It will save you from everything I regret. Sincerely, Your College Self

Janelle

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself two things. First, I would tell myself to visit more than one college before choosing which college to attend. Second, I would tell myself to search for more scholarships. When I was a senior in high school, I was determined to go to a particular college, Rollins College. I made the mistake of not visiting other colleges, which I now regret. After my first year at Rollins, I decided to transfer to Southeastern University, where I am very happy. Rollins turned out to not be what I expected in a college, and it became too expensive. My second piece of advice would be to look for more scholarships because though I did apply for some in high school, I did not attempt to receive as many as I should have. I could have earned more money for college, which would have really helped me out now as I am in my third year of college. I regret not spending more time looking for scholarships.

I am a firm believer that the people you hang out with have a direct impact on your character. My first semester freshman year, I made the wrong friends and made poor choices. I hated the college and was planning on transferring the following year. After Christmas break, I returned to the school with a new attitude and decided to take advantage of all the things the school had to offer. If I could go back and talk to myself as a senior, I would tell myself that you can only expect to succeed at the level that your friends are succeeding. Knowing this, I hopefully would have made better decisions freshman year. I am just thankful that I learned from my mistakes before it was too late, and hopefully new transitioning students will not make the same mistakes I did.

Jo

I would say to myself, "Go to class, pay attention, do your work. Learn all that is offered to you. The people you are so worried about impressing now will go their own ways and leave you standing by yourself. College is not easy, it is not high school, but if you will realize that it is essential to your future career and life in the beginning, you will not regret it. Have fun, get involved in activities, but don't lose sight of why you are there. You can do this. Set your goals and go for it!!"

Jerrica

If I could go back into time and talk to myself as a high school senior, i would have told myself to prepare more and that the college experience is totally different than how things are in college. I would have told myself to read the books over the summer and be well prepared for each class for the fall. Also i would of told myself not to be so hard on myself for the first year because since it is something new you have to transition smoothy or otherwise you will go super crazy. But i also would have told myself that it is college but there will also be sometimes where you can have fun. And in the end everything will pay off.

Isaac

I would have told myself to be ready for more challenges. I would have said that college isn't all fun and games, but neither is it all work and no play. I would tel myself that when my car breaks down, to make sure there's a bike available. I would say to find more money for college, and make sure that what you want to do is the right thing for you.

Malcolm

I would say Malcolm what are you doing, are you kidding me? Why aren't you applying for scholarships and or grants you say you want to attend college well a big portion of college is the cost so how do you plan to pay for it? I would challenge myself to apply for atleast 2 scholarships a day.

I would have taken my High School years more seriously. I was given the opportunity to dual enroll into a junior college and chose not to. Had I chosen that path I would have remained in school and the transition would have been much easier. I would have also graduated already. However, I have just recently decided to go back to school to further my education. Trying to get back into the routine and study habits is going to take self disclipline. A disclipline I am willing to put great effort into as I have goals and dreams to achieve. Anything worth having is worth working for, including a college degree. Yes, I could have already graduated had I done things differently. However, this time has given me the opportunity to mature and to discover what I want to acheive in life and what is important to me. While some younger college students will be struggling between studies and parties I will be focused on studying so that I can continue the business I am trying to start.

Radha

I would tell myself to manage my social life and my academics wisely. Now that I am a sophmore in college I have to learn how to set myself apart from my frineds and just study more. I have good grades but i want A's on my report card, the sky is the limit. Also I would tell myself to get a job!!

Nachombe

Dear Nachombe, I know you've heard it a thousand times, "College is nothing like High school" well it is true. Remember those papers you used to write a few minutes before class, or those assignments you were able to turn in weeks after the due date; enjoy the memory it ends there! In college there are no excuses or "sob stories", there is only room for results! I learned that the habits I develop and keep now will continue later in life, which means that you have alot of studying to do! Trust me it helps you in the long run! My advice to you is this: Study more, read more, research every scholarship known to man-kind (you need every cent you can get!), and learn to apply what you learn! Though it has been a tough journey, it was well worth the knowledge and experience! I know you can do it, just start applying yourself more and be more confident in who you are! College is the first step to the rest of your life, and I must say it looks bright! Rememeber study, study, study!

There would not be entirely too much I would tell my self if I could return to my high school senior year. In the most part, I believe I did well with my choices, but one thing that I would have done is dual-enroll. College is expensive and having paid for, dual-enrolled classes to take care of my general education classes would have been nice and saved me money. I worked my senor year with only one high school class. I could have easily made my work load in college easier. Other than that, I would tell myself to wait a few more months to buy my Mac book because they upgraded right after I bought it. In terms of college life, I was on the right path in high school. I stayed the same throughout my schooling. If anything, I would say avoid the girl I met my freshman year, but that's not important. In the end, the choices I made led me to my coming graduation and my fianc?. I am very happy with the life I have found and I look forward to the future it holds.

If i was a high school student giving myself advice, I would tell myself that life is not about you. If we give with a loving heart, encourage others instead of tearing them down, and put the past behind us that there would be no obstacle to overcome. The obstacles in front of us are usually built by us. Insecurity of the future is built by our past we won't let go of. Fear is the illusion of defeat. That our mind is selfish and our heart is deceitful. That there is only one thing that can free us from it all; faith. Understanding that faith is a gift from God and shouldn't be taken for granted. That's the truth.

College is the door to success. Take everything seriously, work hard, do your projects on time, and talk to your professors. If you work hard and pay attention nothing is impossible! Also, apply to as many scholarships as you can. Even if you don't think it applies 100{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} to yourself, apply and then see what happens.