New Haven, CT
Southern Connecticut State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Southern Connecticut State University

A place where anyone can go to receive an education that will last a lifetime.

A place where anyone can go to receive an education that will last a lifetime.

Fun, charismatic, and enthusiastic about what they want to do with their lives.

College can be challenging. It is important to find a balance between studying and other activities. Most importantly however, it is important to make sure that you are doing what you want to be doing. If you can, take classes in a variety of areas your first semesters to explore other interests. Take a class that you think you will be good at but also one that might be challenging in a field you are interested in. Take care of yourself by eating well and getting sleep. Most importantly, have fun and remember that you are doing this for yourself. Do what you want to do while still keeping in mind the goals that you want to accomplish by getting your degree.

Katelyn

My classmates are made up of a variety of gifted individuals. While we are all different, it is our unique character traits that compliment one another and allow for great friendships and commrodary to form. There are the academically driven students who encourage you to strive for that A, and there are the socially driven students who remind you how to laugh and relax. All for one and one for all, I would say that my cross academic and cross cultural classmates and I look out for each other as a community looks out for the health of its people.

First of all, I would share the Gospel of Christ with my younger self. I hadn't heard the truth until I was a little older, and with such an enlightenment during senior year, I would have had God to help me with all of the decisions and transitions. With that said, I would advise the younger me in the area of finances and structure. I would encourage myself to take a year off of school before starting college in order to "clean up my act." This cleaning would consist of healthier lifestyle choices as well as a mental preparation period for the real world. "Apply to scholarships!" I would shout. "I cannot emphasize enough how much less stressful your life will be if you are financially free when you leave school." I would also iterate a very detailed outline to follow. "I've messed up kid, and here is how you can avoid a lot of heart ache and achieve great success: take these classes in this order with these teachers, get involved with these organizations and clubs from day one, and most importantly, go to every class, take good notes, study hard, and develop good time management skills."

The worst thing about Sounthern is the academic advisement and the organization of the Student Life Center. Incoming freshman and transfer students are very misguided and confused by our current system and faculty. Unless an upper classsmen lends their advice, most students end up on the five year plan, at least. Even when a student has declared a major, the faculty (including some departmental staff) will hand you a list and send you on your way. Also, the Student Life Center has made it extremely difficult for clubs to organize and execute activities. Some clubs are no longer running.

Cortney

If I could give myself any advice as a high school senior making the transition into college life it would definitely be to put school first and make sure you get your work done. In high school, many teachers will accept late papers and offer extra credit for a student to improve their grades, however, college professors give a deadline for a reason, and if that deadline is not met then it is the students fault. Getting your work done on time will simply make your life less stressful and give you more free time for extra curricular activities. Also, it is so important to make friends and become social at your college or university. College can become very stressful and it is so important to have friends who can help you relax and laugh a little, especially during finals week. This doesn't mean you have to become the captain of the football team or class president to fit in, but find a group of people who you can be happy and yourself with.

I wish that I had known how many students go home on the weekend. Campus is extremely quiet on weekends with not many things to do. Also, I was a cheerleader in high school so school spirit is a big thing for me. Not many fans attend football/basketball games and there isn't much excitement for athletics around campus at all.

I consider the worst thing about high school to be the lack of independence. I don't believe that high school truly prepares an individual to for the real world when they enter their college career. High school teachers are constantly accepting late papers and awarding extra credit to students who may have forgotten assignments or fallen behind. However, a college professor rarely will accept late assignments or award extra credit to students who have slacked on their work. I believe that this "babying" way only hurts students in the future and gives them a false sense of work ethic.

m

If I were to go back in time and give myself advice for the college transition, I would tell myself- rather, reassure myself- that I should stand firmly to my beliefs because I know I am strong both mentally and emotionally, and I would more or less warn myself of the possibility of attacks on my beliefs. Transition from the warm yet suffocating confines of high school life to the expanse and technicality of college is a big step that may attempt to break me as I stand. Overcoming this bridge from naive high school student to empowered and driven college student is acheiving in itself, something of the ubermensche Neitzche writes of. My opinions and personal experiences are the bridge, the solid ground on which I fight, that will carry me over to the independent and motivated college student I intend to be and am still fighting to acheive.

Danielle

My classmates were fun and supportive.

My classmates were fun and supportive.

I would have went away for college, lived on campus, and participated in more school activities, clubs, sports, etc.

Parking was always an issue., unless you were always willing to walk a mile to class or wait for a shuttle.

Stefanie

I am not sure that the college I am enrolled in offered online classes 9 years ago, but I definitely would have told myself that putting life on hold to raise children is a good idea but I could still have gone to college. I decided to wait until my kids were older and could understand, but now I realized that my life could have been so much better off if I had not waited. I am struggling to get through school financially because I am not working, so what would have been the difference if I went to school then or now? I would be financially stable now, and I would have liked that better than waiting.

Rebecca

Southern is very diverse and accepting. There are a lot of organizations that get the student body involved, it is a lot of fun on campus and there is a wide variety of activities for students. The campus is large, but the classes are not overwhelming. There may be a few lectures with over 200 students, but this is very rare. The professors like to get the students involved and help you out in any way possible. The whole experience here is wonderful.

If I were to go back in time and give myself some advice, the first thing I would tell myself is to RELAX! It is not so scary; entering the campus is intimidating, butthere are about 1000 other freshmen who are in the same position. There is nothing to be afraid of, there are many activities to get involved. The campus is very diverse so there are many opportunities for you, Southern is a wonderful school for opportunity. The main thing is to set your priorities. It is important to know that you must get your work done, then go out and have fun. It is easy to do if you put your mind to it and if you take your work seriously. College is a time for opportunity, take advantage of this. College is a time for you to grow as an individual, open your mind and learn as much as you can both academically and socially. It is important to find out who you are as a person; and it is extremely important not to follow others. Be yourself and you will succeed.

the food? I live in an on-campus apartment so I cook for myself, but the on campus food is not the greatest; but what university has great food?

Lyana

At Southern Connecticut State University we have a diverse population of students. Each semester I meet students from different backgrounds that are able to teach me more about their culture, lifestyle , cuisine, and history. Other schools had less of a diverse population. I also enjoyed the welcoming staff on my tour which set aside my school from others. I met with my social work department teachers prior to enrollment to the college they really gave me an idea about the program and were able to answer specific questions regarding the program. Futhermore, Southern's students carry pride in their hearts.

College is a time where you are able to find your true self, what your capable of and make decisions for yourself. Do not worry too much about trying to fit it because in college you will find people who are just like you with similar goals. With that, plan out your goals now and try to think about what you would like to do in the future; the possibilities are endless. If you cannot figure out what you want to be, don't rush! In college, you have supportive teachers who will help you discover the many things you can become. In addition, work hard in school it will all be worth it. The school work you do now with the papers and homework is alot i know, but it will prepare you for the details assignments and projects you will have in college. When I went to college I wanted more, I wanted to feel more accomplished and Im sure one day you'll want to feel that way too. In college, you find the responsibility you always wanted and your education is left up for you to discover. Futhermore, enjoy high school, ask questions, and be creative.

A person looking for a challenge, excitement, and someone who wants to go above and beyond the usual learning. Southern takes learning to a different level with their advance technology, on campus seminars, and deeply experienced teachers. A student looking for the safest envirnoment to learn in should come to this university. However, dispite Southern's outstanding education a student looking to get involved in on campus activites, performances, free conferences, free trainings, dances, and fun voulnteer opportunites should apply to this school. A student looking to be accepted for who they are should think about SCSU as their choice.

Nadia

This school is full of diversity and openness, and everyone is friendly and up for new ideas.

I would tell myself that first, there is nothing to be afraid of. College campuses are a friendly enviornment, the students and faculty work together and are more mature with each other, and you have been prepared for this work. College sounds overwhelming and difficult, but because you worked so hard during high school, you have prepared yourself to handle the classes and amounts of projects. You will also literally be on your own when making you schedule. No one tells you to go to class, you have to make yourlself. And your professors won't hunt you down to finish your work; that is your responsibilty. You will have to learn how to manage your time throughout the year, and learn how to tackle classes, and job, and a good social life. Universities offer many extra-curricular activites, so making new friends is very easy. Dorming also gives you a good and independent expierience, so go for it! If you're worried about tuition costs, Financial Aid is easy to obtain. So don't be picky with your schools, go explore!

Someone who wants a good college expierience but doesn't want to stray far from home, or spend thousands of dollars.

Dafina

Southern has a very diverse campus, and everyone enjoys each others company. You will see groups of students, such as the art scholar, guitarist, break dancer, and football player, having a blast together, even if career interest's or hobbies aren't similar. Everyone is always smiling, and it's just a calm, friendly environment.

When it is time for a parent to prepare a child for college, it is very important that the parent understands that their child will be attending a school for 4+ years, and regardless if they live on campus or not, they must respect that their child has their own personality, just as every college does, and which ever college they choose, know that its because they have researched it well enough to know it fits their every day lifestyle. Students should make sure that their financial aid is in place, since time are getting harder for everyone, the more financial help we as students can receive from grants, scholarships, and the governement, the better. Students should remain focused and know that there is always time for fun, but the most important thing for the next few years is a powerful education.

Anyone can attend this school to be honest. As said before, Southern is very diverse, and there is an activity for everyone. They do alot of residence life programs to keep everyone happy and active as well. A person who loves to feel as if they were at home would most definitely enjoy this school because the people around you turn into family for the most part.

Southern Connecticut State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.