Southern Connecticut State University

« See more reviews of Southern Connecticut State University

As a high school senior, I had many positive influences around me. As a result, I was pre-warned of many issues college freshmen’s face. Issues such as: time management, failing academically, and the importance of staying above the influence/surrounding myself with the right people. However, of those three topics I would heavily stress the importance of staying above the influence and surrounding myself with those who value their education. As an on-campus resident, I have visually experienced people doing drugs and other things detrimental to one’s health. Unlike high school, drugs aren’t hidden in college; it is publicized and many people do it. However, I have learned that staying above the influence and remain true to one’s self is very important because drugs can completely destroy everything you worked hard for. With that said, I would advise myself to constantly remember my struggles and the main reason I attend school. College friendships are rewarding but are not essential. If a person is changing you for the worse than that individual is not your friend. Lastly, I would tell myself that it is my responsibility to care/make sacrifices for my education.

You need to want this. If you, as a student, don't want to go to college, don't want to learn, or don't want to do academic work, don't. Take some time off. Travel, work, sleep. Don't waste your time and money on an unwanted education. The college experience will be best for everyone, parents, students, and faculty, if everyone who IS there WANTS to be there. College shouldn't be something you do between high school and "real life". College should be a pursuit of human betterment. Once you have that motivation, everything else will fall directly into place. In picking the right school, recognize the importance of diversity. Not only ethnic diversity, but political diversity, academic diversity, geographic diversity, every difference that people have. You will receive the fullest education when you can interact with every different kind of person. One huge piece of college, for me, is finding my place in society and the world. I only find that by interacting with people coming from everywhere and preparing to go anywhere. Look for universal diversity. Then, as long as you're driven, many colleges will prepare you for anything you want to do.

I've gotten a large cultural experience from going to this school. It is very culturally diverse and coming here has opened my eyes to many things. I have met a large variety of people, getting to know a lot about different races, religions, and beliefs. Another value in attending Southern Connecticut State University would be the help and support from the faculty and staff. Coming from a High School where I had done mediocre to graduating in only four years has put a lot of self confidence and awareness that I have the knowledge to persue any career I set my mind to. Although I had been undeclared for three semesters, the variety of classes made me realize who I really was and who I want to become. The professors I had incorporated much experience into their teachings which made it more accessible to understand the material that was being taught. Knowing this; Psychology was the best route for me and going to Southern Connecticut State University really led me to that direction. Without the knowledge I had been administered I would never realize the potential I access and the technique I can carry on in the future.

From my college experience, I have learned a great deal. I have learned that learning involves not only memorizing the material, but fully understanding the concepts presented. I have also realized that sometimes people will not be there to hold your hand and walk you through things, whether in school or in life; and that is when you need to reassure yourself that you're strong enough to get through it and to just keep moving forward. I also learned that I am much more capable and intelligent than I believed. I have learned so much information on various topics and at times I would get discouraged and think that my brain cannot possible handle any more information; yet I was able to retain the information and do well on my exams. This lesson is not only dear to me because I have gotten good grades in school, but because I have learned to believe in myself and never doubt my capabilities. It has been extremely valuable to attend college because I have not only learned information about the profession I wish to get into, yet I have also learned a great deal about myself, my abilites, and self confidence.

Dear Younger Me, Around this time you should be just graduating from high school and excited about all the opportunities that will open themselves to you. Please don't just brush them aside. Take advantage of every little thing that comes your way. Concentrate on working harder in your studies, there's always time for going out and partying later. Remember to focus on your goals and don't allow yourself to get continuously side-tracked by guys. The good ones will understand that you have priorities and will still be around, the bad ones will leave as soon as they see they aren't a priority. Make time for family in the midst of your schedule, they will keep you grounded. Make friends with people with common interests and goals. They are the ones who will help keep you on track and their experiences will help you gain insight into your future as a teacher. Always love and stay true to yourself and your beliefs/values. Sincerely, Wiser You P.S. Always say yes to second chances. You never know when you might need one yourself in dealing with school, your friends, family, career, love and life in general.

Finding the right college is extremely important in the extension of education past high school. It is tempting to follow all of our high school friends off to college, but in reality students should try to find the school that best suits their own aspirations. I would tell students and parents to look into prospective colleges, do research, visit the campus and try to meet some current students and professors. Don't just settle for what looks okay. Students need to remember that the college experience is all about their future, their goals, their education and new opportunities. That is a big deal, so be hands on and really find the school that is going to push you into your best potential! In making the most of the college experience, it truly is in the hands of the student to have a fulfilling experience; it is all what you make it. No matter what school a student attends, there can be an abudance of great opportunities, or not so much. But surely if a student takes an active role in their education and life on campus to make their experience the best it can be, they will never regret it!

First of all, I would share the Gospel of Christ with my younger self. I hadn't heard the truth until I was a little older, and with such an enlightenment during senior year, I would have had God to help me with all of the decisions and transitions. With that said, I would advise the younger me in the area of finances and structure. I would encourage myself to take a year off of school before starting college in order to "clean up my act." This cleaning would consist of healthier lifestyle choices as well as a mental preparation period for the real world. "Apply to scholarships!" I would shout. "I cannot emphasize enough how much less stressful your life will be if you are financially free when you leave school." I would also iterate a very detailed outline to follow. "I've messed up kid, and here is how you can avoid a lot of heart ache and achieve great success: take these classes in this order with these teachers, get involved with these organizations and clubs from day one, and most importantly, go to every class, take good notes, study hard, and develop good time management skills."

The best thing you can do when searching for the right university is to go to the campus. Walk around, see the area, and try to get a feel for what your environment is going to be if you are to attend that university. Getting a feel for the environment is extremely important; more than anything you need to be comfortable at your school. Being comfortable in your school environment gives you one less factor to worry about while you are at school (believe me, there are a lot!). If you are uncomfortable, it will be even harder to adjust to college life. It will be harder or near impossible to become academically comfortable so you can study and talk with your professors and do all the academic necessities you encounter; it will be harder to become socially comfortable and make friends; it will be harder to become emotionally comfortable in order to deal with the different stresses you face with this great change in your life. If you attend a university that you are comfortable with, you will be able to make the most of your experience, and you will be able to expand your education to its fullest.

My college experience has been priceless, because I have learned many functions, strategies and elements of a business from my teachers and professors that I was able to use in the real world. My father owns a grocery store which provides the local Indian, Pakistani, Bengladesi and Asian community with products imported directly from their country. I took classes in business for two and a half years and used my college experience and contacts to make my fathers business prosper online. I created and launched a website for my fathers business on which customers can order online and get delivery of the products directly to their home. Many of my professors and fellow students helped me get this website up and running. Hard work goes into building a website, marketing it, driving sales and delivering the products. My professors were professionals and knew what I needed to do and guided me on how to do it. Today, the website is averaging $200 a day in sales and is gaining new customers every day. If i had not gone to college I would not have been able to do this for my fathers business.

In order to find the right college, students should first decide whether they want to live in-state or out-of-state, and should also try to decide on a major. Once these two essential questions are answered, the search for colleges can more easily be narrowed down. It is important to find a school that offeres a strong selection of classes for your intended major, including internship and volunteer oportunities. Hands-on training is usually the best training, no matter what major the student chooses. Also, students should decide whether they want to live on-campus or off-campus and take a tour of the housing availability. Become excited about going to college! Students should see where they will be living and begin networking as soon as possible. Parents should be supportive in the decision their child makes because ultimately, college can be the best time in their child's life and play a enormous role in their future careers. Overall, students should prepare themselves to become more social, more open and accepting in order to experience college at its greatest potential.