Southern Connecticut State University

« See more reviews of Southern Connecticut State University

I am a student transferring into Southern Connecticut State University from Norwalk Community College both in Connecticut. I would like to tell a little about myself before I go into detail about why the SCSU is the right school for me. I am an entrepreneur, I get this skill from my father, an entrepreneur. I have developed a good understanding of finance and want to pursue a degree in finance. SCSU, has a comprehensive Finance program which will help me rationalize;future business and career decisions. Understanding finance is one of the core elements to understanding and running a business.

As a former student/on-campus resident, I mainly cherish Southern's on-campus student activties. During the week, it is hard to remain anything but busy. There is always something going on and the Southern community is welcoming to those who are unfamiliar to it. In just a year, I have experienced a variety of new thing. For example, I've tried new food like fried dough at student apprecation day, and I've gone to domestic violence panels, which is a topic of my intrest. Furthermore, I believe that Southern's on-campus activities are its main attraction.

The best thing about SCSU is the overall environment and atmosphere. When students choose to live on campus, they are able to meet other students and truly engage in a strong network and on-campus community. Most professors and dorm staff are very friendly and allow students to voice their opinions and needs in the residential and classroom settings. SCSU is a great place to learn, study, and still have fun while making friendships that can truly last a lifetime. This school evokes a very postive enviorment for all.

I consider the best thing about my school to be the fact that the quality of the education is high while the cost of attending is low. For me, this is important because I am putting my self through school entirely on my own from here on out. That is a tough burden to bear at my age. It is satisfying to not feel overly stressed about financing my education, because such a feeling truly takes away from what's really important about college: learning.

I would say one of the best things is the huge variety of student groups and activities available for students. There are events going on nearly every night, such as guest speakers and movie showings, to "fun" nights, which include ping pong tournamants and things like that. There is probably a club or group for everyone, no matter what they like. If not, there are plenty or resources to make one.

The diversity among the students. My Freshmen year I attended Sacred Heart University and it was almost completely white. There were about four Asians and five African American students. The majority of the students were very wealthy and stuck up. However, at SCSU there are so many different ethnicities and down to earth people. I have really enjoyed my time there so far.

Extra-curriculars and the friendships formed there. I made hardly any close friends in any of my classes, but all the people who were involved in the same clubs as me (particularly theater club, which I was most active in) became like a second family. There are a lot of fun and educational activities that clubs put on, and they are the most worthwhile thing about the school.

I think the best thing about my school is that the professors are very open and helpful. Southern's a pretty large school and it's difficult to find professors that are willing to help out their students in whatever way they can. Whether its an issue in their class, another class, or non-academic the professors are very helpful and only want you to succeed.

TRhe best part about SCSU is the teaching program, they are recognized as one of the best education schools in the country and they deffinitly live up to that. They put you in the classroom and in the field at all levels of learning iti extremly nice. Also the the campus is exremly nice, and the location can not be beaten it hass the perfect location for me.

I think the best part about Southern is the diversity because I feel like I can be more like myself without having to worry about being judged. I never knew how many people like the same things I did before I came to Southern and I really like that I can actually talk to people on many different subjects.