Southern Connecticut State University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Southern Connecticut State University

Destiny

Great

Gleeson

Southern Connecticut State University has a very diverse student body, which appeals to what I look for in schools. The teachers and staff are encouraging and invested in the student's success. The campus itself is very nice, kept clean and looking nice all year round. I really enjoy going here and would recommend to anyone.

From my visits to the campus, I've received a good impression of this college. The counselors, teachers, and other staff members are very helpful as well. I am excited to be a transfer to this college next year. I can't wait!

Jamie

Southern wasn't my first choice (as well as wasn't for many of our students) but, I'm confident in saying how much I love it here! It's affordable, fun, and intellectual; the people are amazing and so is the experience of simply being an SCSU Owl.

Courtney

Southern is a beautiful campus with awesome staff. I haven't been too disappointed so far, just when it comes to the food. The housing is good, I live in a single and I love it. It's the perfect little cozy space where I can work hard and be successful.

Icencia

Southern Connecticut State University is a great school. It is very lively and quite diverse. There is all sorts of clubs for just about anything. From your major, minor, and ethnic background! SCSU are always trying to get the students involved through charity events, concerts, and more! Professors are always willing to stay a few hours to help!

Victoria

Overall my opinion of SCSU is a good one. I can see how others might not like it because of their lack of involvement. As a result, it is especially important to get involved whether it be by playing a club sport, joining greek life, an academic club, or an art club. It really enriches one's​ experience at a school, especially SCSU.

Southern Connecticut State University has been a home to me for the past 5 months and while this institution has its faults it has never failed to make me feel welcomed. The students literally jump through hoops to make your first semester as easy as possible, the support I have received from the students is outstanding. On this campus there are always activities to participate in. As long as you involve yourself there is always a way to fit it which is what I love most about this campus, you don't worry about being a social outcast because there is always someone who welcomes you.

Judaen

Southern has been an exciting experience for me. I find myself living in the library, mainly because it is my favorite location to study and relax. However, there are a variety of places on campus to study such as the Student Center and Engleman Hall. I believe my favorite place is Earl Hall. I am not a music major, but I do indulge in piano classes off campus and I am apart of my praise and worship team in my church. Earl Hall is accessible and there is always a piano in reach.

Hailey

I am an athlete, and in my opinion SCSU is a great school. By the first week I met so many wonderful people and participated in school wide events. I did not want to go home for any holiday breaks! However, many students do go home on the weekends, but if you find a solid friend group, they will be less likely to go home and will want to stay at school.

Dirck

American education is about making money and this university is no different. You integrity is gpa based. They have corrupt professors. And the chain of command is corrupt too. All of them. If you attempt to change or file a complaint about it, they will hide it and do their best to be rid of you. Don't waste time or money, take your children else where. Oh, they also threatened the VA rep for helping a vet after the school showed exextrem disrespect to a crippled infantry vet who confronted another student for valor stealing.

You get less on what you pay for. Its a good starting school but transferring is the way to go. Everyone leaves on the weekends and the faculty is mostly rude and really cares about their paychecks. The food is disgusting and over price and you WILL get an attitude every time.

Jonathan

Excellent school with top tier professors (most either share time between Southern and Yale or are students at Yale) Excellent facilities to include: New Gym and bookstore New geoscience department Veterans area complete with computers and printers If you're looking for a university that feels small but has a huge footprint with excellent faculty, Southern is for you. Plus it's only an hour and half by train to NYC or Boston, and New Haven is a student city—with everything you'd want it to have.

Marta

It is a good state school. There are plenty of opportunities to learn and get involved.

Isenia

Although SCSU is still a predominately white institution, as a minority, I do feel that they try their best to be inclusive of all races, genders and sexual orientations. I feel as though this school has allowed me to find my voice as a student and discover new passions as a student. There is a lot of academic and personal resources on campus, it's just the students' job to find them. There are several activities that are posted throughout the academic buildings, dorm buildings as well as the dining hall. If you ever need something to do, check the weekly email updates as well as the school website. As far as academics, I have made pretty good connections with my professors as we all have a common goal of creating an effective learning environment. The class sizes vary depending on the type of class. For example, they can range from about 25-30 students in a class but they will not exceed 200 as that is the biggest lecture spaces. I really enjoy the opportunities that I have been given at this University and look forward to continuing my education here at SCSU!

Annabelle

Since arriving to SCSU my freshman year, I didn't know what to expect. I feel as though most of the students that attend are commuters, so there isn't much school pride or enthusiasm from them. The school is very academics oriented compared to most other schools. There is also a very high female to male ratio.

Betzabeth

Southern truly has welcoming, passionate faculty and staff that truly care about maintaining the school in every way possible. From the gardeners who keep the campus clean and beautiful to every single dean; all of them care about representing our school to the best of their ability. Not one single professor I have come across have allowed their students to flow through their classes without really learning something and without presenting them opportunities that will enrich them. Students who come to Southern will never complain about the quality of their education, only on the slow process it may take to come here. Although, Southern does try their best to be as convenient as possible, there are many students entering the college that complain about paperwork being lost when they are going through the enrollment process. As a transfer student, I was amazed at how many of my previous theatre credits did not transfer over to accomplish the theatre requirements here. However, this is where that passion from the faculty comes in; my advisor/chair of the department sat down with me and helped me really figure out my plan for the next year while promising to allow other theatre credits from my previous school to accomplish requirements here. The only complaint is the disorganization at times but I would rather deal with that then low quality, indifferent professors which Southern does not have.

Jaznee

Southern Connecticut State University was not where I intended to start my new beginning, I did not believe it was the school for me but as I become more involved and got to know campus; I found the love. Socially Southern is very diverse inside and outside the classrooms. Every day you have the ability to meet new people and learn about different cultures. It is nice meeting new people and connecting with them on different levels, you'll be surprised what you can learn from someone else completely different from you and how you could help build each other. Academically Southern is great. On the first day of classes, I was nervous and did not expect the professors to be so caring and involved with the students. The professors really care about students and will offer help and make sure you pass their class as long as you are willing to put in the time and effort needed to earn a great grade. Aside from the academics, you will never be bored on campus. There is always something to do even on the weekends. You can go to sports games, trips like to the mall, New York, and amusement parks, visit a food truck on campus or attend a big event with lots of fun, food, and music in the quad. The food actually is not too bad. Every day there is something new to try and the kitchen makes a great attempt to incorporate foods from different cultures such as Asian, Jamaician, Chinese, and more.

Heather

Southern is a great environment to be in whether you live on campus or off campus. The professors are great and so is the administration. I've had an overall good experience here. Professors really seem to care about students success. The campus has an overall good layout, easy to navigate.

Setice

It is a great school and the students there are very respectful and they're a great help

Kyra

I liked the school but wish it wasn't in the middle of New Haven where students are getting robbed at night. Don'y get me wrong their was campus police but and robbery happens so quick and they never find out who the robber is because it's not a student its a resident from the area.

Samanta

I fell in love with Southern just from visiting the website ,watching virtual tours and watching YouTube videos. I got excited immediately and I just knew this is the school I want to spend the next four years of my life.The staff is really friendly the students are super friendly and easy to talk to. The food is amazing I'm a huge foodie so that was a big plus for me.

Anson

Southern Connecticut States University by far is one of the best instate colleges that I’ve attended. Students who attend here can find just about any major. They have one of the best Exercise Science and Nursing majors which many students attend here for, including myself. The campus itself is not to big nor too small. It is about a perfect size, allowing adequate space for on campus activities and students to walk or hang out. Southern also host many activities for students to participate in. Many classrooms are within walking distance, which is very convenient for the students. The classes themselves are great because they aren’t very big. As for teachers, I recommend visiting RateMyProfessor and reading the reviews for some teachers. I say that because every teacher has a different teaching style and you do not want to end up with one whose teaching style you don’t like. The only downside is you would have to be flexible with your schedule. Southern Connecticut has very clean facilities and very polite staff members, especially ones at Connecticut Hall (Dining Hall). The staff always greet students with a smile and when students need something they help with no issues. For those who are looking to live on campus, I recommend visiting and checking out the dorms. There are many dorm options depending on your college status. Another great thing about Southern is that parking is free! All you must do is to provide some information to the campus police and they give you a parking pass in return. If your looking for a college to attend, I’d attend Southern!

Arabelle

My overall opinion on Southern Connecticut State University, is that its an amazing school. Not only is the school academically amazing but also socially. All the students and faculties are friendly and are willing to help if you’re in need. Usually people say “once you’re in college you’re on your own”. Which is true in most cases with the responsibility of becoming a young adult. But Southern provides a variety of resources you can use if you’re truly in need. So far Southern is making my freshman experience not as scary as everyone says college would be.

Juliana

I love this school!! The professors are very passionate about what they teach and most love talking to students outside of class about basically anything. Beautiful campus and close to beautiful downtown New Haven! So much diversity, clubs for just about everything, and countless ways to get involved with the school.

Ryan

Loving it. Great University and I've fitted right in.

Olivia

Overall, I could have attended a better school. They made it very difficult to complete an undergraduate degree in four years. This is due to poor class scheduling and not enough classes offered. The food and on campus housing lacks greatly. The parking is also awful and was always a far walk to class.

Elena

My overall opinion of Southern is that the faculty truly cares, they're usually available whenever you need them many professors offer office hours as well as will email you as soon as possible. The on campus living is alright, the RA's are usually super helpful and are for you at all hours of the night, as well as your hall director who is always available if your having any issues in your hall.

Alana

SCSU is a great place to get an education and grow as a person, but you have to make it work for you. There are plenty of opportunities to get involved, meet great people and get the most out of education, but you have to make the effort to do so. The cafeteria food used to be rather nauseating, but is now really delicious - with plenty of new, interesting options that are friendly to those who have dietary restrictions. Housing on campus is not bad, although the freshman dorms can be rather noisy. Off-campus housing is accessible and not overpriced for what you're getting. Plenty of the professors will seriously impact you positively as a person, so make sure to get the most out of your classes. I have had many professors who also teach at prestigious schools like Yale, so don't think that going to a state school will in any way lessen your education. There are plenty of clubs, club sports and intramural sports available and they're a great way to get involved and meet people with similar interests. Overall, SCSU is a really great school and it's wide diversity of students makes it a place where anyone can thrive.

Jazzmine

I feel like it's a pretty great school, most kids are friendly and the campus is really easy to navigate. I'm a freshman so literally everything was new to me but i loved it. If you're ever feeling stressed they have pet therapy every Thursday. The academic success center can provide tutoring for all classes. If you need money, the whole campus is all about helping the kids out with that. Being a lunch person, note taker, or even in card services.

My overall opinion of Southern Connecticut State University is that I am glad that I had picked this school. This school is so diverse and always has activities happening that anybody can join. Everyone at school is kind to everyone and very open. The professors are always concerned about their students and push them to their very best.

Southern is a good school. I decided to attend because it won't break the bank and it's close to home. For what it is, it's not half bad. However, it isn't an amazing institution. I have also attended a Community College in the area, and the only real difference is the size of the campus and an extra $3,000 on the tuition.

allison

I enjoy attending Southern Connecticut State University. The size of the campus is perfect. The campus is beautiful and the atmosphere is overall amazing. Everyone is friendly and there is no judgement, the school is big on social justice activities and equality of all students, The factually is overwhelmingly nice and the facilities such as the library and student center are very wellkept. Overall I love attending this school and I'm glad I chose Southern.

Catherine

It is a very popular school for commuters. If you live nearby, it would just be easier to commute than living on campus. Several people go home on the weekends or after class. Professors and faculty are helpful and nice, but other staff can be unfriendly.

Matthew

I owe my entire professional career to SCSU. The faculty is truly brilliant, compassionate, and willing to support their students. The tuition is affordable and reasonable and the community is equally diverse and lively. I will always cherish the friends, colleagues, and opportunities that I have been given during my time here.

Lorenzo

I enjoy this school and it was a very economically good school for my family and I to be able to afford. There are no teachers that I’ve had any issues with and I don’t think that I will have any issues in the future. I enjoy going to my classes and campus was very easy to navigate as a freshman. The food at the dining hall isn’t the best but I feel like the same can be said for most colleges around the country.

Jane

I really love Southern Connecticut State University. The campus is very diverse in terms of race and backgrounds which allows for educational conversations and a better understanding of our World. The staff is incredible and the professor's are so passionate and intelligent about the subject's they teach.

Kyley

I love this school! I would recommend this school to everyone. There are so many fun activities and ways to get involved! Everyone here is so welcoming, it was so easy to make friends. I've had good experiences with living on campus and with my professors. Everyone here has so much pride in this school!

Erin

I think it is a great school with many opportunities to achieve in. They provide a great staff along with a safe, enjoyable campus. I appreciate all the extra hard work the faculty puts into to providing us with a great and meaningful education. I would recommend Southern Connecticut State University to anyone interested in pursing an education.

Juan

I would recommend Southern for the local students. Its a commuter school so not much to do in the weekends sometimes.

Morgan

I feel Southern Connecticut State University is an excellent example of a college that really provides a community to their students. Southern has a very diverse set of students, multiple extracurricular activities, amazing sports teams to watch, and the academics are worth your money. Southern by no means is perfect, but their effort to give their students the full experience is something very special. If I were to go through the applying process again I would still choose Southern with no doubt in my mind.

Johmayrys

I went to Orientation at Southern Connecticut State University and had to stay overnight and this experience is one that I'll cherish forever. It made me more excited to join the SCSU community. The unity and welcoming environment from students and staff felt like home. I have visited other colleges to decide which one is the best fit for me. There were even "fancier" schools with more sophisticated equipment, more space for bigger size classes, better food, and so I can go on. But, overall Southern was the best one for me. As soon as you go i you can feel the love and unity, you feel welcomed and ready to take on new challenges and ready to explore new adventures. you get to meet different people, from different religion and/or race and they all welcome you with open arms.

Tyjee

My overall experience at Southern CT State University has been great as a current graduate student. The professors and administrators are extremely helpful and kind. I would recommend SCSU to anybody in search of a graduate school tofurther their education.

Jordan

I think Southern is a fine school! Of course there are some things that I personally might not like, such as the bathrooms being smelly sometimes. I think the issue I have with most is that Graduate students don't have as many in-school activities and the ones that they do have fall during times of work. This makes it hard to be more involved on campus.

Lily

Southern Connecticut State University is where I found myself. I entered my first semester unsure of myself and essentially my future. SCSU opened doors and opportunities for me to explore my options and the faculty taught me not to limit myself. I went to career fairs and talked to department heads, there I learned where I want go in life and I feel equipped already to take on my future with confidence and pride

Emma

It is a good campus and very safe. The classes are alright, some better than others. The professors have all been professional and understanding, the only issue sometimes being availability outside of the classroom. The library is great and there are many student groups offered, although the times are not always convenient. Overall a good school.

Gabriel

I feel like it is a very welcoming place where even the most introverted of people can make plenty of friends. Everyone on campus seems to be very nice and open to conversation. There are many food option around and everywhere you go, you can see people having fun and laughing.

Alicia

Best graduate program. Very specific, goal-oriented and preparing me for my licensure. I live off campus and commuting to school with my car along with parking is very convenient. The professors include every student and make sure we receive the proper assistance when necessary.

louisa

A good school

Gabriela

Southern Connecticut State University is a great place to grow socially and academically. My sister used to be a student there and she absolutely loved attending there and even reflect back on the good old days in university. I'm looking forward to the many new people I will meet in class and outside of class.