Carbondale, IL
Southern Illinois University-Carbondale

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Southern Illinois University-Carbondale

Kaylynn

Southern Illinois University-Carbondale is a wooded campus that welcomes people of all types, and offers a large variety of classes taught by a large, diverse population of teachers.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a highschool senior, I would tell myself to quit slacking off, do better, apply for more scholarships and apply for them much earlier, as well as try to act better around my parents. I would also tell myself to save every penny instead of wasting it on everything I want but don't need.

The kind of person that should attend this school is the kind of person who wants to recieve a good education, and have a large school feel in a smaller area. SIUC is a larger school, but the surrounding towns and cities are smaller, and there are many parks, and many more outdoor activities than you would find in a larger city, which broadens the many types of people that would like to attend. SIUC is welcoming to those used to the city, as well as those who prefer the country, or even the woods.

Traci

It is nationally known for its metal and glass manufacturing, physical therapy program, media production program which is highly sought out in Hollywood, CA and recently its rank in credentials for the archietcture program.

From a young age and upon entering highschool, I was always interested in architecture. I looked foward to projects that would allow me to design building structures. However, during my senior year I started to recieve advise about alternative career choices from the school advisor and my parents. Their concern was that archietcure wouldn't yield a good salary but becoming a doctor would. So for the first year of my college career I attended Purdue University majoring in pre-med. I was miserable but I figured it would eventually pay off. It wasn't until I noticed one of my friends making a bridge for his engineering class that I realized just how much I loved architecture. The following fall semester I left Purdue, transfered to a community college majoring in archicture and eventually transfered to SIUC- SOA. I would tell myself to just trust God. I belive that everything happens for a reason. Although I could have avoided the set back of Purdue, I feel I wouldn't have really understood the amount of passion I have for architecture making me more focused in school. My advice would be to follow my heart and true joy will follow.

Someone who is serious about their education as well as eager to meet new people and open to different opportunities in advancing their prespective careers and socializing skills.

Obeth

SIU is a student friendly, academic center for students who want become much more than just a graduate, they leaders, mentors, who strive to excel in every aspect of their academic and social lives.

My school is known for having a big research program; it has been ranked amongst the top ten schools for research. Also we have a lot of environmental programs; students are very aware about the environment and want to keep it healthy. They have a lot of technical majors as well, Southern Illinois is best known for its Academics and all the students here at SIU strive to excel in the academics.

As a freshman now in college I look back to my high school self and I see a guy that doesn’t seem to think things through. I would sit him down and tell him to wake up, that life is passing you by and if you don’t try to take advantage of what’s around you, you’re going to miss it. I know that you are lazy and tend to forget about your work and focus on other things, if you were to focus now maybe in the future I wouldn’t have to be struggle to find scholarships money to pay off school. If you were to pick up that book and actually study it, college would be easier. I know now that things are much harder then they seem and nobody is going to hold your hand. Don’t let opportunity’s pass you by because once there gone they never come back and you won’t be able to recover them. Education is a valuable thing, if you can take advantage of the opportunity’s presented to you, you’re going to end up trying to make every last penny count towards your education.

Matthew

If I could go back to my senior year in high school I would do things alot differently. First I would have already had my college choice picked out. I would have retaken my ACT. I would of also studied harder to have had my grade point average even higher so I could of qualified for even more scholarships and even possibly could of attained a full ride. I also would have started SIU Carbondale at the beginning of the year instead of transferring in the middle of the semester from Lincolnland Community College. So please for you seniors out there do retake your ACT, maintain the highest grades as you can, prepare for college early, be willing to make new friends, use your resources and enjoy every minute now as you prepare for your future and reap the rewards.

The kind of person that should attend this school should be a person who is highly motivated, can handle challenge , be able to adjust to new settings and be willing to ask for help when needed. They should be a team player, cooperative, dependable and a person who wants to make a difference in their life and the lives of others.

The kind of person that shouldn't attend this school is someone that is not motivated, someone who struggles with change, someone not able to adjust to new settings and not willing to ask for help. If you are not a team player, cooperative, dependable and not wanting to make a change in your life or the lives of others this school is not for you!

Ashleigh

This school was an hour from home which was very important, but also the school spirit. Everywhere you went someone was wearing an SIU shirt or hat. They want you to know where they go to school because we are all so proud.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, the main thing I would tell myself is to not worry so much! Yes, college classes are more difficult than high school courses, but that was not my main concern. I have always adapted well to academic situations. I was worried about not having any friends and missing my family. What I didn't realize was that there are people everywhere in college and they are all so friendly and helpful! I have made more friends in my first year of college than I have in my whole life and I am so greatful for that. As for missing my family, it was very hard at first, but what I learned is that you just need something to distract yourself. Join some clubs, go workout, watch the football games! There are so many activities college offers you to get your mind off how much you miss home for a while till they can come visit, and eventually, you grow up. Yes, you still miss them, but realize you can live without mom and dad behind you every step.

The worst thing about my school would have to be how expensive off-campus living is. When I decide to not live in the dorms anymore, the cheapest apartment I will be able to find will be $450 per month, and I will not be able to afford that and tuition on my own.

Noelle

Southern Illinois University has one of the most well spread out campuses filled with trees and plants. The faculty, staff, and students at Southern are all very helpful and supportive for your future goals and aspirations. I cannot imagine going anywhere else, truly. I am a proud Saluki among many. What I like most about Southern is how diverse the campus is in race, religion, and views. Southern is a larger school that has a intamite little school feeling. Campus life is close with the community, making you feel right at home.

If I was able to go back and give advice to the highschool me, I would reassure myself saying that I am confident that I will gain the most out of my education at Southern Illinois University. I woujld say that there are numerous ways to be active both on campus and off. I would encourage myself to volunteer and become a member to as many organizations that I possibly could. As a result, my networking would grow tremendously from connections with teachers, students, organizations, andeven potential employers. I would say when you feel like you are working hard, to try a little bit harder becasue it is worth it. I would say that every assignment, paper, test, and quiz metters. I would say there is no better place to develop a well-rounded foundation of Architectural Knowledge then at Southern Illinois University. The professors truly care about each and every student and would love to help you succeed to move forward in your endeavors. I would say the students in your program are not just other students, they are your support and your family away from home. I would say that Southern is the perfect choice.

When I brag about Southern Illinois University I brag about my overall, well rounded experience. When I say well rounded, I mean academically, socially, and persoally. Academically I went through one of the toughest bachelors program, and still can say that I loved it and gained a lot of knowledge. Socially I was involved with numerous organizations, clubs, there is a ton of surrounding places to experience that no other schools share. Lastly, personally I was able to grow as an individual and pursue my dreams. By going to Southern Illinois I have built the perfect foundation for my future.

Whitney

My classmates are motivated individuals that usually know what they want to do with their lives beyond college.

Whitney, this is about to be the most difficult, most exciting time in your life. Go in expecting the absolute greatest experience of your life because that is what you will acheive by the time you graduate, greatness. Really put your heart into everything you do. It may be difficult, at first, being away from everything you know, everyone you know, but being an adult is about experincing these new things and living beyond what you were raised to know. With all of that being said, life will not be perfect. You WILL run into people you butt heads with. You WILL have an obnoxious roommate that makes you roll your eyes everytime they talk. And you WILL struggle with classes. Just dig deep and realize what you are working for, because going through this experience is what will shape you as the wonderful person you are becoming. I believe in you and you should absolutely believe in yourself. Good Luck!

Southern Illinois University is a great school for anyone wanting to get away from the normalcy of their everday lives growing up. It is a great university to meet a lot of people and have a fresh start into their adult lives. SIU is so culturally diverse that anyone from anywhere would fit in. Go in expecting the best and that is what you will get. It is nearly impossible not to make friends and have a positive college carrer at SIUC.

bernita

I would describe the school as helpful for a person to become succesful in the job market.

I would actually give myself a heads up choosing the right advisor, because thats where it start. Also make sure that there isn't to many distraction in my life while attending, and to be in a les stressful invironment. I also wouldn't had waited so late to attend a four year college, I would transferred from the Jr College early on. I also would advice mme to know what I want to do in the future, choose a career that best suits me.

I like to talk about some of the teachers, and how helpful they are with helping me acheive the right grades. Also how the helpful the veteran office is helping military through school.

Alyssia

1. Have A Major- Not having a major can set you back 1 to 2 years in your education 2. Get Involved In Your Campus- Simple! 3. Use Your Resources- Simple! 4. Get A Job- You want to go out have a good time, eat out, enjoy be in young, will get a job those $200-$300 checks bi-weekly will come in hand. 5. Make New Friends- Very important, new friends open your mind up to new things 6. Be More Opened Minded: always thing about things, it could be your holy gail 7. Try New Things-like kayaking, biking riding, new resturants 8. Enjoy The Campus Life- use your bowling alleys, go to games- they give out free stuff at games, etc 9. Study, Study, Study!!! Trust me, you wil thank me later 10. Use Your Dinning Halls - its decite and its already paid for 11. Get To Know Your RA's - they are the most important people in your dorms 12. Buy A Printer- this is important trust me you will save tons of money 13. Exercise- at least 2-3 x's a week- you won't gain the freshman fifteen 14. Drink Water- its free

It's not city life. I love the cities, and living in them, they are just a great and filled with more opporunities to jobs, and internships.

I brag the most about is the campus life. The campus life is so vibrant, and full of energy, going to new events meeting new people. There's never a drawl moment in Carbondale. Unless your not a very social person.

Dawn

Dear Self, I would like to give you some encouragement. I love you. It is your life that is most affected by your choice in career. This is a decision that is going to cost you a lot of money, please chose something that is in your heart. There is no greater satisfaction than making a living doing something that you love to wake up to everyday. Something that feeds your soul. Start out by being open if you are not sure what you want to do. Take it all in and find where your roots want to grow. It is not necessary to have all the answers right now.....give yourself the time and space to figure it out. College is an incredible journey of learning on many different educational and emotional levels. Try to stay present in the moment. If you get overwhelmed, know that I am always here for you.

I consider the campus and the surrounding area to be one of the most beautiful places in the midwest. There is an incredible amount of outdoor activities to do in southern Illinois from swimming, fishing, rock climbing, canoeing, etc. that are all within a short drive. The school has a beautiful recreation department that will rent equiptment for almost any adventure.

The most frustrating thing for me at the time was the lack of public transit. However, I do not know if that has changed in the last 20 years.

Southern Illinois University-Carbondale administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.