Carbondale, IL
Southern Illinois University-Carbondale

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Southern Illinois University-Carbondale

Demeri

Southern Illinois University of Carbondale is a college with more than I could have ever imagined. It is filled with kind hearts, unlimited resources, outstanding professors, and a beautiful campus.

If given the opportunity to advise myself as a senior, I would take full advantage of the situation and start by saying that college is truly the best and the worst of times. I would remind myself that even though it does not seem like a fun idea at the time, it is better to go to a community college first. It is likely that the major you start with will not be the one you finish with, so save the cash on a big university by attending a community college for the first year, until you know for sure what you want to do with your life and can find the perfect university for that major. But putting the financial stress aside, college will be a moment in life to find out who you truly are as a person and it is important you take full advantage of that learning experience. College opens you to opportunities that you never even thought of or had been presented with before. So do your work, and when that is done, go have fun. You deserve the time to find friends, love, and most importantly, finding yourself.

The most frustrating thing about Southern Illinois University Carbondale is the reputation it holds as a result of its past. The reputation does not hold true today, yet people still tend to think poorly of the institution, which is frustrating since people look down upon the college I attend.

Alyssia

I really don't enjoy being at Carbondale because theirs nothing to do when you don't have any homework or just because you feel the need to get out of your dorm to go somewhere just to hangout.

The students here are like any other student in every school. They seem very open and outgoing.

The academics are very good here.

Joseph

This school has a good amount of natural areas and wineries within a close proximity. In the negative, it is unique for a mixed drinking/partying university. Administrators claim the history is past, and even orientation guides attempted to get the group to respond with "Where are the best places to drink?" as a suggestion for transfers to ask. It is unique for the beauty of the natural areas around it though.

FIrst, I would suggest these few things. Be more outgoing and do not give up. There are people to help you, so do not be shy and speak up if you have a question. Also, talk to people. Small talk can start real conversation and develop friendship. It is okay to still be deciding where you want life to go, but understand that this decision cannot be delayed too long. Get out and broaden your horizons. Go to sporting events, volunteer, have fun, but make good decisions. Ending up in a paper for trouble is not good for you, friends, classmates, or family. College is in the "real world", not the general 8-3 routine. It is your life to live, so be yourself. Make your own choices, but make them for your benefit. Lastly, there are a lot of people. As potential competitors, every student seems like an enemy. There are people who try to put you down. Cut loose from their grip and keep your head up. Professors and faculty remember the ones who smile and show kindness better than any other student. So: be positive, press on, get some rest, and never give up on your dreams!

The faculty are willing to help the students if the students are willing to ask. The school in general is research and academically focused, and internships are competitive, but speaking to the right people can set a student up for success. This is the best aspect about the school besides the environment.

Kaylynn

Southern Illinois University-Carbondale is a wooded campus that welcomes people of all types, and offers a large variety of classes taught by a large, diverse population of teachers.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a highschool senior, I would tell myself to quit slacking off, do better, apply for more scholarships and apply for them much earlier, as well as try to act better around my parents. I would also tell myself to save every penny instead of wasting it on everything I want but don't need.

The kind of person that should attend this school is the kind of person who wants to recieve a good education, and have a large school feel in a smaller area. SIUC is a larger school, but the surrounding towns and cities are smaller, and there are many parks, and many more outdoor activities than you would find in a larger city, which broadens the many types of people that would like to attend. SIUC is welcoming to those used to the city, as well as those who prefer the country, or even the woods.

Traci

It is nationally known for its metal and glass manufacturing, physical therapy program, media production program which is highly sought out in Hollywood, CA and recently its rank in credentials for the archietcture program.

From a young age and upon entering highschool, I was always interested in architecture. I looked foward to projects that would allow me to design building structures. However, during my senior year I started to recieve advise about alternative career choices from the school advisor and my parents. Their concern was that archietcure wouldn't yield a good salary but becoming a doctor would. So for the first year of my college career I attended Purdue University majoring in pre-med. I was miserable but I figured it would eventually pay off. It wasn't until I noticed one of my friends making a bridge for his engineering class that I realized just how much I loved architecture. The following fall semester I left Purdue, transfered to a community college majoring in archicture and eventually transfered to SIUC- SOA. I would tell myself to just trust God. I belive that everything happens for a reason. Although I could have avoided the set back of Purdue, I feel I wouldn't have really understood the amount of passion I have for architecture making me more focused in school. My advice would be to follow my heart and true joy will follow.

Someone who is serious about their education as well as eager to meet new people and open to different opportunities in advancing their prespective careers and socializing skills.

Obeth

SIU is a student friendly, academic center for students who want become much more than just a graduate, they leaders, mentors, who strive to excel in every aspect of their academic and social lives.

My school is known for having a big research program; it has been ranked amongst the top ten schools for research. Also we have a lot of environmental programs; students are very aware about the environment and want to keep it healthy. They have a lot of technical majors as well, Southern Illinois is best known for its Academics and all the students here at SIU strive to excel in the academics.

As a freshman now in college I look back to my high school self and I see a guy that doesn’t seem to think things through. I would sit him down and tell him to wake up, that life is passing you by and if you don’t try to take advantage of what’s around you, you’re going to miss it. I know that you are lazy and tend to forget about your work and focus on other things, if you were to focus now maybe in the future I wouldn’t have to be struggle to find scholarships money to pay off school. If you were to pick up that book and actually study it, college would be easier. I know now that things are much harder then they seem and nobody is going to hold your hand. Don’t let opportunity’s pass you by because once there gone they never come back and you won’t be able to recover them. Education is a valuable thing, if you can take advantage of the opportunity’s presented to you, you’re going to end up trying to make every last penny count towards your education.

Matthew

If I could go back to my senior year in high school I would do things alot differently. First I would have already had my college choice picked out. I would have retaken my ACT. I would of also studied harder to have had my grade point average even higher so I could of qualified for even more scholarships and even possibly could of attained a full ride. I also would have started SIU Carbondale at the beginning of the year instead of transferring in the middle of the semester from Lincolnland Community College. So please for you seniors out there do retake your ACT, maintain the highest grades as you can, prepare for college early, be willing to make new friends, use your resources and enjoy every minute now as you prepare for your future and reap the rewards.

The kind of person that should attend this school should be a person who is highly motivated, can handle challenge , be able to adjust to new settings and be willing to ask for help when needed. They should be a team player, cooperative, dependable and a person who wants to make a difference in their life and the lives of others.

The kind of person that shouldn't attend this school is someone that is not motivated, someone who struggles with change, someone not able to adjust to new settings and not willing to ask for help. If you are not a team player, cooperative, dependable and not wanting to make a change in your life or the lives of others this school is not for you!

Ashleigh

This school was an hour from home which was very important, but also the school spirit. Everywhere you went someone was wearing an SIU shirt or hat. They want you to know where they go to school because we are all so proud.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, the main thing I would tell myself is to not worry so much! Yes, college classes are more difficult than high school courses, but that was not my main concern. I have always adapted well to academic situations. I was worried about not having any friends and missing my family. What I didn't realize was that there are people everywhere in college and they are all so friendly and helpful! I have made more friends in my first year of college than I have in my whole life and I am so greatful for that. As for missing my family, it was very hard at first, but what I learned is that you just need something to distract yourself. Join some clubs, go workout, watch the football games! There are so many activities college offers you to get your mind off how much you miss home for a while till they can come visit, and eventually, you grow up. Yes, you still miss them, but realize you can live without mom and dad behind you every step.

The worst thing about my school would have to be how expensive off-campus living is. When I decide to not live in the dorms anymore, the cheapest apartment I will be able to find will be $450 per month, and I will not be able to afford that and tuition on my own.

Noelle

Southern Illinois University has one of the most well spread out campuses filled with trees and plants. The faculty, staff, and students at Southern are all very helpful and supportive for your future goals and aspirations. I cannot imagine going anywhere else, truly. I am a proud Saluki among many. What I like most about Southern is how diverse the campus is in race, religion, and views. Southern is a larger school that has a intamite little school feeling. Campus life is close with the community, making you feel right at home.

If I was able to go back and give advice to the highschool me, I would reassure myself saying that I am confident that I will gain the most out of my education at Southern Illinois University. I woujld say that there are numerous ways to be active both on campus and off. I would encourage myself to volunteer and become a member to as many organizations that I possibly could. As a result, my networking would grow tremendously from connections with teachers, students, organizations, andeven potential employers. I would say when you feel like you are working hard, to try a little bit harder becasue it is worth it. I would say that every assignment, paper, test, and quiz metters. I would say there is no better place to develop a well-rounded foundation of Architectural Knowledge then at Southern Illinois University. The professors truly care about each and every student and would love to help you succeed to move forward in your endeavors. I would say the students in your program are not just other students, they are your support and your family away from home. I would say that Southern is the perfect choice.

When I brag about Southern Illinois University I brag about my overall, well rounded experience. When I say well rounded, I mean academically, socially, and persoally. Academically I went through one of the toughest bachelors program, and still can say that I loved it and gained a lot of knowledge. Socially I was involved with numerous organizations, clubs, there is a ton of surrounding places to experience that no other schools share. Lastly, personally I was able to grow as an individual and pursue my dreams. By going to Southern Illinois I have built the perfect foundation for my future.

Southern Illinois University-Carbondale administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.