Carbondale, IL
Southern Illinois University-Carbondale

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Southern Illinois University-Carbondale

Whitney

My classmates are motivated individuals that usually know what they want to do with their lives beyond college.

Whitney, this is about to be the most difficult, most exciting time in your life. Go in expecting the absolute greatest experience of your life because that is what you will acheive by the time you graduate, greatness. Really put your heart into everything you do. It may be difficult, at first, being away from everything you know, everyone you know, but being an adult is about experincing these new things and living beyond what you were raised to know. With all of that being said, life will not be perfect. You WILL run into people you butt heads with. You WILL have an obnoxious roommate that makes you roll your eyes everytime they talk. And you WILL struggle with classes. Just dig deep and realize what you are working for, because going through this experience is what will shape you as the wonderful person you are becoming. I believe in you and you should absolutely believe in yourself. Good Luck!

Southern Illinois University is a great school for anyone wanting to get away from the normalcy of their everday lives growing up. It is a great university to meet a lot of people and have a fresh start into their adult lives. SIU is so culturally diverse that anyone from anywhere would fit in. Go in expecting the best and that is what you will get. It is nearly impossible not to make friends and have a positive college carrer at SIUC.

bernita

I would describe the school as helpful for a person to become succesful in the job market.

I would actually give myself a heads up choosing the right advisor, because thats where it start. Also make sure that there isn't to many distraction in my life while attending, and to be in a les stressful invironment. I also wouldn't had waited so late to attend a four year college, I would transferred from the Jr College early on. I also would advice mme to know what I want to do in the future, choose a career that best suits me.

I like to talk about some of the teachers, and how helpful they are with helping me acheive the right grades. Also how the helpful the veteran office is helping military through school.

Alyssia

1. Have A Major- Not having a major can set you back 1 to 2 years in your education 2. Get Involved In Your Campus- Simple! 3. Use Your Resources- Simple! 4. Get A Job- You want to go out have a good time, eat out, enjoy be in young, will get a job those $200-$300 checks bi-weekly will come in hand. 5. Make New Friends- Very important, new friends open your mind up to new things 6. Be More Opened Minded: always thing about things, it could be your holy gail 7. Try New Things-like kayaking, biking riding, new resturants 8. Enjoy The Campus Life- use your bowling alleys, go to games- they give out free stuff at games, etc 9. Study, Study, Study!!! Trust me, you wil thank me later 10. Use Your Dinning Halls - its decite and its already paid for 11. Get To Know Your RA's - they are the most important people in your dorms 12. Buy A Printer- this is important trust me you will save tons of money 13. Exercise- at least 2-3 x's a week- you won't gain the freshman fifteen 14. Drink Water- its free

It's not city life. I love the cities, and living in them, they are just a great and filled with more opporunities to jobs, and internships.

I brag the most about is the campus life. The campus life is so vibrant, and full of energy, going to new events meeting new people. There's never a drawl moment in Carbondale. Unless your not a very social person.

Dawn

Dear Self, I would like to give you some encouragement. I love you. It is your life that is most affected by your choice in career. This is a decision that is going to cost you a lot of money, please chose something that is in your heart. There is no greater satisfaction than making a living doing something that you love to wake up to everyday. Something that feeds your soul. Start out by being open if you are not sure what you want to do. Take it all in and find where your roots want to grow. It is not necessary to have all the answers right now.....give yourself the time and space to figure it out. College is an incredible journey of learning on many different educational and emotional levels. Try to stay present in the moment. If you get overwhelmed, know that I am always here for you.

I consider the campus and the surrounding area to be one of the most beautiful places in the midwest. There is an incredible amount of outdoor activities to do in southern Illinois from swimming, fishing, rock climbing, canoeing, etc. that are all within a short drive. The school has a beautiful recreation department that will rent equiptment for almost any adventure.

The most frustrating thing for me at the time was the lack of public transit. However, I do not know if that has changed in the last 20 years.

james

The only thing I could say that was unique and different about the school I am attending is that one of the professors is a highly dedicated person in his field of expertise. Others look up at this individual and in my eyes, it was an honor to have taken 5 of the 6 courses he taught at the school.

If I could go back in time when I was a senior in high school, I would have said to myself, to do better in school and to make sure that you take care of school right away then waiting until I was in my 40s. I could have had my degree already and been making better money during the time up to now. I could have been alot more successful and have gotten my professional liscense sooner than later.

The thing I think that I brag about to my friends about school is how I am getting such a high GPA . When I was in high school I did pretty good but in college I think I have excelled in my grades well past how I did in high school. I also brag about how I went back to school at my age and that everyone can do it if you really wanted too.

First I would start off by telling myself don’t be scared to ask for help. There were many times that I could have sought help about things but was too scared to ask. As I got older I realized that’s what those professors, counselors, and other staff are there for. Now days I’m not nervous at all to ask for help. If I have a question about something I just ask. Another piece of advice I would give to myself is don’t let anything hold you back go straight for your dream. I changed my major because many of my friends told me bad things about it and made me second guess it. Then I realized after taking a few unneeded classes that I needed to change back to what I wanted to do. It was my dream to become a nurse so I told myself that’s what I’m going to do. I would tell myself don’t listen to others only listen to yourself. Also I would tell myself to have a little fun every now and then. Just don’t let it come in the way of your studies.

Michelle

My university has a beautiful campus but, I would not recommend anyone to attend this school.

Some advice that I would give myself is to try new adventures. Following your heart can lead you to amazing things in your future no matter what. Also, getting away from home was a good decision because back in my hometown, my community was not the safest place to live.

Amy

Most of my classmates are artists. They are driven and focused on their future without forgetting about being social. Life of the party and unique. I have not been exposed to the entire student body since I have just been taken major driven courses. From those that I do know, everyone is accepting of eachother and not afraid to help eachother.

Go ahead and go to school to be an Art Education major. Eventually you will return back to this major and find yourself in school for an extra two and a half years. That's okay, you'll still be young but it'll be so much easier to get your degree sooner than watching those around you graduate when you are still working on your major. Also, join some clubs or be more social. You'll regret throwing yourself into studying, working full time and going to school full time. Also, maybe live with your parents longer until you finish your degree, you'll never realize how easily it is to get into debt and how hard it is to pull yourself out. Remember to save money for the future and pay off loans as soon as you can. It will help you be less stressful and more successful in the long run. You've got this, don't worry.

Any person of any religion, ethnicity, nationality, or anything in between should go here. This school is accepting of everyone, and there is a club for anything you are interested. Even if there isn't one, you are more than welcome to create a club unique to you. This school is accepting and also has a diverse range of degrees available to their students to major and minor in.

Amela

Dear Amela Cikota, There are a few things I would like to inform you about college. Start saving money right now. I know you may think that you already are, but college is more expensive than you think. Save every dollar possible and think before you buy that movie ticket, bag of chips, or even that bottle of soda in your hand. Think, do you really need it? That money will make your life in college so much easier. Believe me, I've been there. Sincerely, Amela Cikota

I feel that every type of person is able to attend Southern Illinois University Carbondale. The school, teachers, and students are accepting of everyone. I also feel that people who are easily distracted by fun social activities need to be careful. Since there are so many places to go to and spend time with friends in Carbondale, it can be harder to focus on one's education. Other than that, anyone has a chance to be successfull here.

Jazmine

Jazmine, I know college seems nerve wracking to you, but I am here to tell you that everything will be okay, it's not all that frightening. I know you're worrying over how to pay for college,but let me tell you that there are many financial opportunities that are there to help you pay for school. Momma doesn't have to have extra stress on her shoulders because there are scholarships and grants that can assist you. The only thing you have to worry about is to have that college expierence and maintain your grades. Also, I know no one in the family has a college degree and you are alone on this, but there are many professors as well as students there to help you adjust and transition into SIU. Professors want you to do great so they will provide you with advice and resources to successfully pass your courses. One last thing, i've spent first semester of college thinking that I didn't deserve to be in a university because i wasn't ready. That's untrue, nomatter where you came from, you earned and deserve your seat in college like everyone else. Good luck!

The worst thing about my University would be the math tutoring services at Southern. Although there are a large number of students ready to answer questions, most of the tutors there are more expierenced in high level courses in math and when I go and ask for assistance on homework or review, they do not recall the lessons that are being learned to me. That did not help. The best way to get the answers and guidance that you need would be to go to your professors and get your questions answered during office hours.

Southern Illinois University is a beautiful place in the middle of a small town. The people, who in my opinion, should not attend this school, should be those that do not like nature and large amounts of rain. SIU is surrounded by trees, plants, and our campus lake. Those who do not enjoy nature, for example the bugs, humidity, and no large skyscrapers would not fit best at southern. SIU also recieves large amounts of rain. For those who care about their hairstyles and clothes, come prepared for stormy beautiful weather.

Southern Illinois University-Carbondale administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.