Carbondale, IL
Southern Illinois University-Carbondale

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Southern Illinois University-Carbondale

james

The only thing I could say that was unique and different about the school I am attending is that one of the professors is a highly dedicated person in his field of expertise. Others look up at this individual and in my eyes, it was an honor to have taken 5 of the 6 courses he taught at the school.

If I could go back in time when I was a senior in high school, I would have said to myself, to do better in school and to make sure that you take care of school right away then waiting until I was in my 40s. I could have had my degree already and been making better money during the time up to now. I could have been alot more successful and have gotten my professional liscense sooner than later.

The thing I think that I brag about to my friends about school is how I am getting such a high GPA . When I was in high school I did pretty good but in college I think I have excelled in my grades well past how I did in high school. I also brag about how I went back to school at my age and that everyone can do it if you really wanted too.

First I would start off by telling myself don’t be scared to ask for help. There were many times that I could have sought help about things but was too scared to ask. As I got older I realized that’s what those professors, counselors, and other staff are there for. Now days I’m not nervous at all to ask for help. If I have a question about something I just ask. Another piece of advice I would give to myself is don’t let anything hold you back go straight for your dream. I changed my major because many of my friends told me bad things about it and made me second guess it. Then I realized after taking a few unneeded classes that I needed to change back to what I wanted to do. It was my dream to become a nurse so I told myself that’s what I’m going to do. I would tell myself don’t listen to others only listen to yourself. Also I would tell myself to have a little fun every now and then. Just don’t let it come in the way of your studies.

Michelle

My university has a beautiful campus but, I would not recommend anyone to attend this school.

Some advice that I would give myself is to try new adventures. Following your heart can lead you to amazing things in your future no matter what. Also, getting away from home was a good decision because back in my hometown, my community was not the safest place to live.

Amy

Most of my classmates are artists. They are driven and focused on their future without forgetting about being social. Life of the party and unique. I have not been exposed to the entire student body since I have just been taken major driven courses. From those that I do know, everyone is accepting of eachother and not afraid to help eachother.

Go ahead and go to school to be an Art Education major. Eventually you will return back to this major and find yourself in school for an extra two and a half years. That's okay, you'll still be young but it'll be so much easier to get your degree sooner than watching those around you graduate when you are still working on your major. Also, join some clubs or be more social. You'll regret throwing yourself into studying, working full time and going to school full time. Also, maybe live with your parents longer until you finish your degree, you'll never realize how easily it is to get into debt and how hard it is to pull yourself out. Remember to save money for the future and pay off loans as soon as you can. It will help you be less stressful and more successful in the long run. You've got this, don't worry.

Any person of any religion, ethnicity, nationality, or anything in between should go here. This school is accepting of everyone, and there is a club for anything you are interested. Even if there isn't one, you are more than welcome to create a club unique to you. This school is accepting and also has a diverse range of degrees available to their students to major and minor in.

Amela

Dear Amela Cikota, There are a few things I would like to inform you about college. Start saving money right now. I know you may think that you already are, but college is more expensive than you think. Save every dollar possible and think before you buy that movie ticket, bag of chips, or even that bottle of soda in your hand. Think, do you really need it? That money will make your life in college so much easier. Believe me, I've been there. Sincerely, Amela Cikota

I feel that every type of person is able to attend Southern Illinois University Carbondale. The school, teachers, and students are accepting of everyone. I also feel that people who are easily distracted by fun social activities need to be careful. Since there are so many places to go to and spend time with friends in Carbondale, it can be harder to focus on one's education. Other than that, anyone has a chance to be successfull here.

Jazmine

Jazmine, I know college seems nerve wracking to you, but I am here to tell you that everything will be okay, it's not all that frightening. I know you're worrying over how to pay for college,but let me tell you that there are many financial opportunities that are there to help you pay for school. Momma doesn't have to have extra stress on her shoulders because there are scholarships and grants that can assist you. The only thing you have to worry about is to have that college expierence and maintain your grades. Also, I know no one in the family has a college degree and you are alone on this, but there are many professors as well as students there to help you adjust and transition into SIU. Professors want you to do great so they will provide you with advice and resources to successfully pass your courses. One last thing, i've spent first semester of college thinking that I didn't deserve to be in a university because i wasn't ready. That's untrue, nomatter where you came from, you earned and deserve your seat in college like everyone else. Good luck!

The worst thing about my University would be the math tutoring services at Southern. Although there are a large number of students ready to answer questions, most of the tutors there are more expierenced in high level courses in math and when I go and ask for assistance on homework or review, they do not recall the lessons that are being learned to me. That did not help. The best way to get the answers and guidance that you need would be to go to your professors and get your questions answered during office hours.

Southern Illinois University is a beautiful place in the middle of a small town. The people, who in my opinion, should not attend this school, should be those that do not like nature and large amounts of rain. SIU is surrounded by trees, plants, and our campus lake. Those who do not enjoy nature, for example the bugs, humidity, and no large skyscrapers would not fit best at southern. SIU also recieves large amounts of rain. For those who care about their hairstyles and clothes, come prepared for stormy beautiful weather.

My classmates are informative and open minded. My classmates contribute to my education because they help me learn new things I never knew. Having classmates that care about their education makes me care about mine too even more than I already do.

If I were to go back into time and give myself advice about college I would let myself know that college is something important that is super benefical to my life so take everything that college offers seriously. I would look for more scholarships before even starting college. I would also look more into important details about class size, the distance and educators at my university. I would deffanitally be more perpared and more confident going into my freshman year of college if I could go back into time and give myself advice.

The most frustrating thing about my school is the lack of community we have here. The campus is sperated making certain groups of people to only hang out with the people they are mostly around most of the time. Being here at SIUC I also noticed that people do not want to leave their group of friends and will only help thier friends out.

Damaris

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would make sure to prioritize my time better. When I first started college, I did a lot of my work at the last minute. This left me feeling stressed out, and although I did not have bad grades, I could have had more A's in my classes. I would make sure to do my studying ahead of time. Since I am pursuing a nursing degree, I would also tell myself to take into consideration that it is important to receive more A's than B's in my classes. The nursing field is competitive. Having gone through these experiences, this would be the advice I would give to myself before starting college.

Zachary

This school is best known for its aviation program. It is also known as a party school but has calmed down a lot.

I would first make sure to remind myself the reason that I am attending college in the first place. My studies should come ahead of my social life. I would tell myself that the decisions I make now can affect me for the rest of my life. I would tell myself to make sure I stay focused on the ultimate goal, which is earning a degree. This will be an experience you will never forget. Learn from the diverse set of people you will meet during your journey and never judge anybody. You never know what experience they have been through that could help you learn. Be as involved as you can be in the school and its activities. This is the best time of your life so make sure you live it to its fullest. I don't want you to look back on what could have been. Most of all, enjoy the opportunity that you have ahead of you.

If you are going to attend Southern Illinois University, you should be a person that is open to all people and ideas. This school hosts a very diverse group of people who can be learned from. If you are excited about meeting new people who will accept you for who you are, then SIU is the place for you.

SIUC is a fun, great school with a diverse group of students.

SIUC is a fun, great school with a diverse group of students.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to save as much money as possible. There are so many expenses to take into consideration while away at college. An emergency fund is a must for students while attending college. I did not save much money throughout high school and now I'm regreting that decision.

I wish I had known more about financial aid and other options to help pay for school.

Southern Illinois University-Carbondale administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.