Carbondale, IL
Southern Illinois University-Carbondale

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Southern Illinois University-Carbondale

Zachary

This school is best known for its aviation program. It is also known as a party school but has calmed down a lot.

I would first make sure to remind myself the reason that I am attending college in the first place. My studies should come ahead of my social life. I would tell myself that the decisions I make now can affect me for the rest of my life. I would tell myself to make sure I stay focused on the ultimate goal, which is earning a degree. This will be an experience you will never forget. Learn from the diverse set of people you will meet during your journey and never judge anybody. You never know what experience they have been through that could help you learn. Be as involved as you can be in the school and its activities. This is the best time of your life so make sure you live it to its fullest. I don't want you to look back on what could have been. Most of all, enjoy the opportunity that you have ahead of you.

If you are going to attend Southern Illinois University, you should be a person that is open to all people and ideas. This school hosts a very diverse group of people who can be learned from. If you are excited about meeting new people who will accept you for who you are, then SIU is the place for you.

SIUC is a fun, great school with a diverse group of students.

SIUC is a fun, great school with a diverse group of students.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to save as much money as possible. There are so many expenses to take into consideration while away at college. An emergency fund is a must for students while attending college. I did not save much money throughout high school and now I'm regreting that decision.

I wish I had known more about financial aid and other options to help pay for school.

Joslynn

Southern Illinois University is known for its execllent Medical and Psychology programs. It has it's own medical school. This is great for anyone who plans on going to school for medicine or pychology, I plan on taking a few medical classes and possibily entering the medical field.

Make sure you stay on top of your school work and health. School can be fun but you have to stay on top of everything.

I wish I would have known I was pregnant before I went to school, that way I could have decided on what I wanted to do. My pregnancy affected my grades by making me sick majority of the day leavingme unable to make it to my classes. I wish I would have known so my grades wouldnt have been affected.

kellee

Take the time to study. Build good study habits while your in grade school and high school. All through high school, I floated by, making good grades because I was a quick learner and I have a great memory and ability to absorb information. Although those abilities still help me, they in no way prepared me for the type of education I would recieve in a university. College education is a totally different realm of knowledge that requires studying and time to really learn properly. It is very important to build proper habits intended to help you during the course of your education career.

There is only one thing about my school that I consider a problem: tuition fees. Yes school is supposed to be expensive, but a few of the listed fees seem to serve the same purpose.

This school is not tailored around a certain type of person or student. Anyone could come here and fit in. There are plenty of resources and activities that can help someone meet people with similar interests and someone who could possibly help you toward your career path. There are also many programs and tutors for every class that help students become the student they want to be.

Meily

Dear Meily, Study,Study Study and College life will be easier. Everything you learn will help you as you take higher level courses in college. In your free time apply for scholarships you have no idea how much it really helps. Many sleepless nights will come but the feeling of learning and passing it's well worth it. Stay focus and try your best, the future needs you.

dustin

The most important advice that I would provide myself is to not be afraid of the challenge of collegiate coursework. During my high school years, my mother struggled with an addiction to crack-coaine. The young man of those times was afraid of life's possibilities due to the abandonment and instability that he had experienced up to that point. The current me would simply assure my high school self that everything will be okay and encourage myself not be nervous about the future. I would tell me that college is not nearly as difficult as the teachers portray it; they are simply trying to prepare you for the most daunting challenges that may arise throughout your collegiate career. On the whole, the curriculum is not much more difficult than that of the Advanced Placement high school courses in which you are currently enrolled. I would also tell me that Mom loves me very much, even though it may not seem that way. I would say this in an effort to remedy the anger and insecurity that I had developed in hopes of preventing some of the poor choices that I ended up making shortly after high school.

Alisa

One thing that I would consider to be unique about Southern Illionois compared to others schools is that it has the best theater department in the country and students who are not even majoring in this field are encouraged to engage in productions for entertaiinment, or even extra credit in some cases. I had a theater class my first semester and I found it to be rather insightful dispite my own personal interest.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would advise myself to be more concious of time and to not procrastionate. Time management and procrastionation were the most challenging habits I struggled with. I believe that if I had worked on getting rid of these habits I would have been able to transition to my college life more smoothly. Towards the beginning of the first semester I thought the work was a breeze. However, I was brought into reality when I did not turn in a assignment the day it was due which was worth a huge portion of my grade. I did not not turn it in becasue I had not completed it yet; a week went by and I had avoided going to the class because I had yet to finished the assignment. When I finally did go to class my instuctor told me I could not turnin the work. Therefore after that ordeal I was playing catch up the rest of the semester, becasue I underestimated the time the assignment would take, and the strictness of my instructor. Consqenectuly I learned the tradeoffs of time mangement and procrastination.

What I consider to be the best thing about my school is that coming in as a freshmen this past year I felt comfortable. Feeling welcome was not a problem because everyone was welcoming and friendly. On the day of move in I was greeted by a group from The Vine church who helped my mother and I bring everything in from the car to my dorm room. In addition to that I found that on this campus mostly everyone was approchable from the students up to the professors.

Alejandro

Located in a great part of town with everything to do conveniently located around the campus.

Great atmosphere and the diversity of the students was a well blend. You didn't have to worry about not fitting in because there were others also attending looking for fellow students to interact with!

There are many sterotypes and rumors that high school seniors hear about college, that makes some not want to even atten college, but all the rumors aren't true. It is something definately worth experiencing. My only regret is that I didn't go to clooege right after high school. That is the one thing I would have changed and done differently!

Southern Illinois University-Carbondale administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.