Southern Illinois University-Carbondale

« See more reviews of Southern Illinois University-Carbondale

One thing that sets SIU apart from other prospective universities is the atmosphere of the university as a whole. The location of the campus does wonders in this regard, as trying to use words to decribe the vast spans of nature just wouldn't do it justice. To its credit, no other place gives the feeling of home quite like SIU--with the heart of a big time college in a relatively small town, each college, class, teacher, and student, feels like they are ready to prove that SIU is a special as it feels.

My campus has a state park in the center of it, which helps you to escape the stress you may have from school. Also the architectural program is fantastic. I have two family members that have graduated from the program and they loved it. I love how the teachers are very willing to help you and the graduate students get the opportunity to teach us which also helps them to further there knowledge in their fields. I feel very safe on campus there is a lot of security and no major threat of security.

Carbondale's campus is not to large and not to small, it is perfect. I chose this school because it was somewhere I knew I would enjoy my college experience. There is a lot of diversity on this campus, which is good when trying to enjoy a college experience. This is also a good school that gives me many options in case I would like to change my major. The professors and classes in Carbondale are also very enjoyable. I feel at home on the SIUC campus.

Although we are not the biggest school, we have the best attitude and passion. I truely believe that when you go to SIUC you can fit it anywhere and there is always someone to talk to, may that be someone from one of the many services they offer or just someone walking by. It has been said by many northern Illinois students that go to SIUC that the school and people in the community have a homestyle southern warmth. SIUC has something for everyone.

One thing that I would consider to be unique about Southern Illionois compared to others schools is that it has the best theater department in the country and students who are not even majoring in this field are encouraged to engage in productions for entertaiinment, or even extra credit in some cases. I had a theater class my first semester and I found it to be rather insightful dispite my own personal interest.

This school has a good amount of natural areas and wineries within a close proximity. In the negative, it is unique for a mixed drinking/partying university. Administrators claim the history is past, and even orientation guides attempted to get the group to respond with "Where are the best places to drink?" as a suggestion for transfers to ask. It is unique for the beauty of the natural areas around it though.

the unique things that i feel siuc represents is the fact there is room to make mistakes and yet they are open to hear you out and help you! there are a select few people who are here to help students and I can def. say i benefitted from that and am glad I did, my previous school didn't have that!

The campus feels exclusive, even though it is part of the town - one doesn't feel that way. Also, the campus has its own woods, and its own lake - not many other colleges can boast of this. Staff here are always looking out for the students, they want everyone to succeed to their best abilities.

The only thing I could say that was unique and different about the school I am attending is that one of the professors is a highly dedicated person in his field of expertise. Others look up at this individual and in my eyes, it was an honor to have taken 5 of the 6 courses he taught at the school.

To small enough that the teachers can actually take the time out in the office hours to help a studeent when they need it and its a very diverse community with people from the local area, cities like chicago and even people from other countries.