Southern Illinois University-Carbondale

« See more reviews of Southern Illinois University-Carbondale

I hate the general consensus of the student body in that learning is not the primary focus for most students. A vast majority of the college choose my particular school based on its apparent reputation as a "party" school and spend a lot of time drinking irresponsibly. While partying is an inevitable part of college based on the students' newfound freedoms, I feel that for a number of students attending my school that embracing these freedoms has become more important than the learning for which they pay tens of thousands of dollars.

The worst thing about my University would be the math tutoring services at Southern. Although there are a large number of students ready to answer questions, most of the tutors there are more expierenced in high level courses in math and when I go and ask for assistance on homework or review, they do not recall the lessons that are being learned to me. That did not help. The best way to get the answers and guidance that you need would be to go to your professors and get your questions answered during office hours.

Well im transferring to Southern Illinois University from Florida Atlantic University. I start this fall, and at this point in time I cannot say a bad thing about the school I am so very excited to go to!! I can say that the reason I left Boca Raton, Fl was the town. Ive never in my life been around such a bougey class of people. I care alot about my education and most of the people in my classes and dorms just wanted to party. There was absolutley no diversity. I hope to find a change coming to Illinois.

I believe that the worse characteristic of my school is the students partying more than they study. I feel that if we all could just study more and try our best, our grades would rise and so would our school's success. Going to my school is a little hard for some for that simple reason. Some fall prey to the surroundings and then they lose sight of everything. I would like to say keep working hard and do not let your dreams go. Be strong and never give in to your surroundings. I haven't.

As I'm sure is the case in many schools, some students that are admitted and attend their first semester at SIU aren't necessarily ready for college. Personally I've seen a few people on my floor, including my roommate, that choose simply not to go to class. For me it was distracting because my he would sleep through the day and it was hard to get any work done until early evening. However, that is not always the case. I know a lot of driven and dedicated people as well.

I believe that my school does not provide enough resources for tutoring. Entering as a freshman, it was difficult transitioning from the highschool standards, to the college standards. I felt like I needed extra help. I struggled to seek that extra help because they were'nt very visable on campus. I believe that SIUC should provide appearent tutoring services for the future freshmans. This way, the freshmans can retrieve more help in their classes.

There are only two bad things I can say about this school is the distance away from home. Many of the students come from the Chicago area. Driving to the school takes about six hours and for people like me that are very close to their families, adjusting takes some getting used to. Coming from Chicago, one is used to the big city way of life. Carbondale is a small but amazing town, getting used to the small community can be hard for many people.

The worst thing about Southern Illinois University Carbondale is the relaxation on some of the rules and regulations in dorm living. For example some of the students in the dorms are loud and obnoxious well past quiet hours and the RA?s simply ignore them. I found myself at times either trying to go to sleep or trying to study in my room late at night and I couldn?t simply because of the leniency of the rules and regulations in the dorms.

Well I think the worst thing about my school is when I transfered from a 2yr college, the University was in the possces of implementing new software. Therefore it was very difficult to enroll in my courses, due to the delay in the upload of my transcripts. I was forced to enroll at a time given to those of the freshmen year rank. This would not normaly be a problem except, I was given the last pick of classes and time slots.

I think that the worse thing about SIU is its reputation. SIU is known to be a really large party school, but even though that is true, there are many other things that the school excels at that isn't known quite as well. For example, SIU has excellent engineering and applied sciences programs, and many of the science programs are top tier, but not many people talk about how great the programs are.