Southern Illinois University-Edwardsville Top Questions

There are not very many things that would frustrate you at SIUE. The only thing is that once you declare major and in the program your advisor changes. Also getting in to see an advisor for your major is harder to get a hold of and see then it was for the regular advisor.

The high percentage of grades lay in the tests and finals. Say you dont understand an aspect of the class, and fail the test pertaining to that material, then you may not be able to save your grade because a majority of points are allotted to the tests.

Ilish

Similar to other colleges, the partying that consitently goes on can be very frustrating and tiredsome. It can be a nuisance if you plan on studying within your room. To counteract this I would advise studying in the library, study lounges, or wherever else you deem fit. What can also try ones patience is the disrespect some of the current students have for the schools property (i.e. littering across campus, being inconsiderate of quite hours, etc),however, do not be concerned. This usually occurs at the initial weeks of the semester and disipates as the term goes on.

Tanner

The school lacks a certain traditional college environment; it is very much a young developing university.

Ally

The geese. Just... the geese. They leave their droppings everywhere, and they get really territorial around this time of year. I can't walk around on campus without fearing that a goose is going to come after me! Generally they're pretty docile, but there's a lot of them, and they're SUPER noisy...

Jasmyne

One of the most frustrating thing about my school was the class-registuration process at the beginning of each semester. The reason why it was difficult because there are certain classes that are required for certain students in which they had to register for and often times, many other students would get those classes before others did, which would fill the class up to capacity. Therefore, that class was then closed.

The most frustrating thing about Southern Illinois University Edwardsville is that many students do not attend the athletic events. I am a huge sports fan, so I would love to see our arena filled with crazed fans.

The most frustrating thing about SIUE are all the drug abusers. They are very selfish and discourteous. It is very difficult to study when they are partying.

Llena

We rent the textbooks, and they are included in the general fees. Thus, we pay to rent them whether we actually need them or not. I also wish there was public transportation from my house to the campus. The parking situation necessitates a great deal of walking, not a bad thing unless the weather is bad and/or I am running late.

Eileen

It is the cheapest state university in illinois and its lack of funding in the sciences department is very apparent.

Rocky

The administration process is long and sometimes frustrating.

The most frustrating aspect of my school are the tuition payments. They are very close together with some months having two tuition payments. For those students who make less than $20,000 a year, it can be very difficult and stressful to make two tuition payments in one month. I understand that the campus has to have their payments, but it would be helpful for them to spread them out a little more.

Most of the classes have big projects and exams right around the same time so your workload gets overwhelming sometimes.

We aare growing so much and we are running out of classroom space at our school.

The buildings are far away from each other. In the snow and ice storms that we get occassionally the trip from one class to another seems to take forever. There are also too many hills to compete with in the ice storms.

The amount of commuters who live nearby and only drive to class and do not partcipate .

Josiah

Driving distance to the city.

The most frustrating thing at my school is the financial aid office and bursar office. Sometimes I think that they have way too many student workers and not enough people who actually know what they are doing. I've gone in there before because they dropped me from my classes and they passed me back and forth between their offices for a good half hour before I found out what the problem was.

The most frustrating thing is the academic advisors. The y have no idea what classes you need to be taking and they sign you up for the wrong ones. Now, we have to sign up online which is just a way for the advisors to do less work. We still have to make an appointment to see one and get a "password" so we can enroll online, whats the point. My suggestion is to hire advisors that know what their doing and have them sign students up for classes instead of doing it online.

the parking lots...it seems like it takes forever to walk from where i parked to the buildings.

Tim

Graduate students have to buy their books while undergrads get to rent their books.