Southern Illinois University-Edwardsville Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Southern Illinois University-Edwardsville

Idarose

I honestly do not have much bad to say, it has been the best choice of my life and I am so glad I get to learn at such an amazing place. From the amazing staff to the great vibes form all the other students the experience while being there has made me a better person and even more excited about my career path.

Katelyn

It’s a great place to be! I am happy that I chose SIUE, and I feel that I am getting a well-rounded education. I am extremely pleased with the SIUE School of Business classss and faculty. It is a great source for support and encouragement. SIUE has been the place for me!

SIUE is located only 20 minutes outside of STL yet still has a local feel to it. Almost all classes are taught by professors that are always willing to help. The campus is growing rapidly and I'm proud to call SIUE my alma mater!

It's a great university!

Linus

SIUe is an excellent school that goes out of its way to make the students feel welcome. The professors are well versed in there fields of study. The campus itself is gorgeous and easy to traverse. The community is great and you meet anybody and everybody who likes the same things you do.

Sha'Breon

it could be better. I chose to go to this school because my other choices were too expensive. However, I still can't afford school. I say it could be better in terms of food, inclusion, fund for certain programs, prejudice activities, on campus housing is tolerable, but other campuses are better. I may sound like I am complaining; however, these are everyday complaints on campus.

I am very impressed with Southern Illinois University of Edwardsville. My decision to transfer there is the best decision I've made yet. The faculty is very knowledgeable, and is willing to help me with my studies. The facilities provide everything that may be needed. There are stores for food and supplies, as well as areas to rest and study. The location of the university is also very convenient. It is right off of the interstate, and is easy to navigate. I have enjoyed my time at Southern Illinois University Edwardsville.

angelea

I am currently a freshman at Southern Illinois University Edwardsville. Overall, Southern Illinois University Edwardsville (SIUE) is a well-rounded, good state school, primarily if you are looking for a great value in your university education. The class-size ratio is 25:1 on average, which is perfect for those looking for a more personal classroom environment. Coming from a high school with a graduation class of 80, I definitely appreciate having more one-on-one learning with my teachers that would be hard to find anywhere else. All teachers are required to hold regular office hours as well, and students are encouraged to openly contact their teachers at anytime with questions and concerns. Some teachers also have free tutoring set up separate from the student tutoring on campus. It is very clear that the teachers and professors at SIUE want to see their students succeed. Diversity is strong and encouraged, and students learn from each other constantly. The location of the school is excellent. Campus itself is located on a nature preserve and offers amazing views of nature away from the hustle and bustle of the city. Also, many grocery stores, pharmacies, hospitals, and other stores are located very close to campus. For those looking to get away and adventure into the city, St. Louis is a mere 25 minute drive from SIUE's campus. There are bus stops located around campus for students without cars. As for sports life, SIUE is a D1 school with D3 spirit. Students can attend all SIUE home games for free, but the presence is typically lacking in comparison to other schools in this area. However, intramural and club sports are very popular in the community if you're looking to have fun and play with friends or competitively. Greek life has a pretty large presence on campus, and many students are in sororities and fraternities. There are no Greek life houses, however, so the party scene is pretty contained. However, Greek life is not so big on campus that if you were to not join one, you would not be seen as an outcast. There are plenty of other organizations and clubs on campus to get involved in, and the school encourages all students to branch out and be involved with their school and classmates. As for on-campus housing, it ranks in the middle of the typical spectrum. The on-campus dorms are all relatively new and accommodating. Off-campus apartments are known to be typically very expensive. A large population of SIUE students save money by living at home and commuting to campus. In my opinion, the dining services are excellent. The dining hall is easy to find and can be walked to as it is centrally located on campus. Staff are polite and friendly, and there is great variety in the food options offered. There are several fast food restaurants (Mexican, burgers and fries, Chinese, etc.) as well as a salad and soup bar, a yogurt bar, a gluten-free section, and several other stations to grab food and drinks. The vegetarian and vegan options are very easy to find as well. You can take your food to-go, or sit down in the hall and eat and possibly converse with fellow students. The food is fresh, and the variation of the menu and food options keeps students from getting bored with their meal plans and keeps the craving of home-cooked meals to a minimum. SIUE's campus is also extremely safe, and was ranked as one of the safest school in the nation. There are many ways to immediately campus police and receive help if you feel threatened, see anything suspicious, or if you are in danger. Overall, if you are looking for a school where students and teachers take education seriously, with great value and safety, definitely consider SIUE as one of your college choices.

Farrah

I love Southern Illinois University Edwardsville! It is a great school with a lot of resources! It is very helpful that the library offers different specialized librarians for different programs in the school. I also love that the school offers many student resources such as a writing center and career development center. I also think that the campus life is great. There are many activities that are held throughout the week and the school always does a good job about advertising them.

ogulcan

I think this college has an amazing campus which is oriented with nature, and there are so many professors who always try to make students understand the material. The city has great opportunities. Diversity in the college is very satisfying. I am happy to be a student at this place.

Jordan

I believe that Southern Illinois University Edwardsville is the perfect place for students of all interests and backgrounds. There is plenty of freedom and flexibility in terms of campus involvement. There is always something going on somewhere that you can join in on, and plenty of new things and groups to try out, but you never feel like you're required to go out of your way. Overall, I think that SIUe is the perfect school for those who would like to get more involved at their own pace, but also a really great place if you're wanting to focus more on your studies than extracurriculars. Always new experiences here at the E!

Melanie

I live here and I love being able to walk by myself without feeling like I'm in danger of any sort. It's a closed campus and I love taking walks outside. The only downfall is that you need a car to go anywhere outside of the campus. They do have free bus rides though which is very convenient.

Tj

Long story short, if you can afford to go somewhere else PLEASE DO. SIUE wants to be a great university and could be but they're simply not. The campus itself is divided so if you don't meet someone you click with at the beginning, I'm afraid to say you may have a difficult time socially. It's a VERY cliquey atmosphere and most people only socialize with those they know. Trust me, if someone says "It's okay to say hello to someone you don't know", don't. This campus is not nearly as friendly as they advertise themselves to be. The ONLY reason I even have friends here is because of the tight-knit program I'm in. Otherwise, I'd be alone and it's not due to the lack of opportunity. Every social event I have attended at SIUE has made me feel more and more like an outcast. I've walked into a room full of my own people (POC) and they were not welcoming at all. Parking services at this university are BY FAR THE WORST I have ever experienced. You pay almost $200 for a parking permit that restricts you to certain areas that are often quite a walking distance from where you may need to be. The lots that are closer to the buildings are pay lots, as if the university doesn't make enough money. Also, try your best to avoid getting a parking ticket because the staff in the parking services office are AWFUL. There's no room for negotiation or understanding. The price of your ticket increases over time so if you don't have the money (as most of us college students don't), you will be SOL. Edwardsville is a very expensive city to live in. I suggest looking at surrounding towns such as Glen Carbon and Collinsville, IL. Furthermore, living in Edwardsville as a college student is also not that interesting. There's one major bar most students go to but with the cliquey nature of the students here, you're better off drinking at your own house. There is so much more I could say and so much that I won't. The bottom line is SIUE is nothing like it is in the brochures, commercials and other advertisements. Please consider all of your options equally before deciding to come here. Save yourself the headache.

Grace

Overall a very safe and down to earth environment.

Jenna

Edwardsville is an amazing school with a beautiful campus and teachers that care for their students' success! As a freshman there are tons of groups to join and we have many sorts including recreational and non-recreational that students can join. Over all this campus is a 10/10 for me!

Abigale

I believe that Southern Illinois University Edwardsville is a great place to attend. The campus is gorgeous, especially in the fall when all of the leaves are changing colors. The scenery compensates for the distance you have to walk to get to all of your classes. Everyone on campus is very kind and always willing to help with any issues you have. Campus wide issues are always addressed rather than suppressed. I definitely feel like comfort and safety of students here are some of the school's top priorities. The campus may be gorgeous, but there are not as many places as close to campus as desired. As a cheap college student, Walmart and Target could be closer to campus, but are still within a comfortable distance.

Shaunetanique

My school would get 5 stars if we had a football team! That is literally the only thing stopping it from being a 5 star school. Outside from that our rigor is very good and are professors are very accessible. Also, the upperclassmen always us know which professors to take and which to avoid.

Synobia

SIUE has a very welcoming campus that simply invites you in to make you feel like home. The SIUE campus is also, very clean and newly built. I could tell as vistior that campus staff uses hard work to maintain a clean campus for students and fisrt time visitors like me. I would definetly consider attending SIUE in the fall. Especiall with all of the various majors that they offer.

Alan

SIUE is a huge campus with great people. The professors are kind, willing to help, available, and very trying in your time of education. The food is alright and the extracurricular are hard to upkeep unless you are constantly looking for new members all the time. The big point of the school from my viewpoint is that the education matters the most. My classes are flexible and the professors truly do care about your education as long as you put in the energy and curiosity for learning.

Mackenzie

Overall, SIUE is a great place to choose for your higher education, especially if you're going to live on campus. It's a beautiful campus with plenty of amazing nature surrounding it, and many locations to just get involved with nature. The facilities are amazing, and the staff will always try their best to steer you in the right direction.

Southern Illinois University Edwardsville is a fantastic university. It provides just the right balance of academics and extra curriculars. The professors here are amazing and really want to make sure you learn. They are almost always available to help you outside of class if you need it. There are numerous clubs or organizations to join to get involved outside of the classroom. Along with the great dining options, nice housing, and affordable price, SIUE is the school for everyone.

Alex

The campus is great, it is spwralled out, but not to far to where you can't make it to classes on time. There's always something to do, wether it's organizations, the recreational center, sports, or hosted events, you can always find something to do. On top of that SIUE is rated in the top 30 safest campuses in the country. Lastly the faculty are among some of the most friendly and inviting people you'll meet.

Katy

It is a nice school, but its systems are slightly weird. Housing keeps tabs on everyone who enters or leaves the dorms. But the higher ups in admissions are little to no help. If you are independent and do not need help from other people, this school is very much for you.

Coming into college, I was absolutely terrified-- I had thought I was going to find an education, but I found so much more. At SIUE I have not only participated in classes that are major related but also have had the opportunity to expand my horizons and take courses not to my major. In class, we are constantly discussing topics that truly matter in today's world-- whether that be on a more personal basis with personal identity or on a global scale with racism. I find the classes to be both stimulating and rewarding, a quality that lacks in most secondary schooling. Additionally, SIUE is a place that acts a home; it is a place where I feel safe thanks to the blue light system, and a place where I can meet all of my health needs due to the services located on campus, the wide variety of food choices, and the fitness center with readily available equipment and facility to use.

Lamonya

For many other students I've talked to who go here, it isn't a first choice. Many people go to SIUE because it's cheaper than most schools and/or their friends and family members went. SIUE's housing is okay but people have talked about venting issues where some bugs can easily get into apartments and dorms. The food in general is good but sometimes the meat in entrees can look a little strange. The school didn't respond well to the people who put up bigoted and hateful papers around campus. They still haven't found those people who did that, and they didn't find the student who put that racist message on another student's door in Cougar Village in 2017. It makes many students who go here feel unwelcome and on edge because the school has done little to find the perpetrators who put up these bigoted messages in the first place and continuously reassure students that they are protecting them. It makes students feel like the school doesn't care, and it's been almost two years now. SIUE's art department is also very weak, and the school isn't the best place to go if you want to pursue a career in art, especially if it's a more specific career path. Some students have said they felt the education overall isn't as high up to standard as they wanted or expected. The extracurricular activities are actually really fun though, and it's easy to get involved in clubs and organizations. Despite how some may feel about the overall education, instructors and professors are usually very responsive to what students have trouble with. SIUE does have some strong points, but it isn't the best college to go to, not even one of the best. If you can, you should go to other colleges that are much better and have a better understanding of your career path and what you may want to do.

Monisha

As a freshman at Southern Illinois University Edwardsville, I enjoyed staying on campus in the dorms. Meeting different people with different backgrounds has been an impact on my life. I have added great accomplishments I already possess and I look forward to continuing my academics. Others have inspired me in multiple ways and I can say I have done the same. I've had a variety of enjoyable experiences during college, both academic and outside of classes. I would definitely recommend SIUE to anyone who looks forward to the college life.

Kaycee

Its a great school with lots to offer! If you take advantage of the opportunities you have there is no doubt you'll go far! The professors and staff are very helpful also, help is always available. There is an abundance of programs and clubs offered on campus and so much to do off of campus you can always keep busy!

Morgan

I am having a great time at Southern Illinois University Edwardsville. I have met great friends, and everyone seems to get a long. I have seen no outright prejudice, and I feel that the students and faculty are very accepting of others. Many of my teachers encourage involvement in class and other extra curricular activities available on campus. I can get great food on campus, and there is are many cities nearby to experience other activities. The faculty in staff is very helpful with helping the students find answer's and encouraging learning. I know I can speak to any of my instructors and they will help me in the best ways they can. The advisor's also communicate effectively with the students and the other staff members so that every student gets the best of their experience. I would encourage other's to attend college at Southern Illinois University Edwardsville.

Kailynne

SIUE offers wonderful opportunities for undergraduate research. Everyone wants you to succeed and the resources are amazing! The campus is beautiful and housing is very convenient, if a bit expensive. There are many volunteer opportunities, clubs, and organizations to get involved in and you will meet many new, interesting, and diverse people.

Emma

It's a decent school for people trying to save money and those who fall on the medium to low end of academic performance but are still motivated to get a degree, but what you see is what you get. Anybody looking for an intellectual school will have to shell out the money to go somewhere else or be disappointed. I recommend this school only to the desperate.

Justin

I think it is a good school where I will have a great beginning to a long career, but I think the school has their share of issues, like anywhere. The school is working to make it a better place for students, which makes me happy to see their efforts, but I think the work is far from over.

Cameron

I will be entering SIUE in the fall as a freshman. I’m going on a 1/2 ride baseball scholarship. Campus is the largest by land massin the country, 2,600 acres. Located across the Mississippi River and just north of St Louis, MO. Close to a large metropolitan area with a great country setting. Surrounded by corn fields on the western edge of Edwardsville, IL enjoy fresh clean country air. One of the safest colleges in the country, 14,000+ enrollment no worries enjoy yourself while getting a top education.

McKenzie

The campus is not too big, which is nice. There is normally a lot going on around campus, even in individual buildings. The staff could be more helpful and more knowledgeable but what can you do? They also require a lot more classes than what a community college might, so be on the look out for that.

Amelia

An welcoming and inclusive environment thy provides numerous opportunities to benefit the students.

SIUe is a great, affordable school that is only approximantly 50 miles away from me. I don't stay on campus, but I've heard that the dorms are a lot to be desired (most of them). I think it is a great school that accomodates everybody. I feel like I have made a great decision to attend here. The facilities are clean and most of the staff are supportive and willing to teach you anything. It has plenty of activities to keep every one occupied. I would give it a 4.5/5.

Hi

Worst education. At the end of 4 years you will have learned next to nothing. Community high school offered more depth than these university courses taught by professors. Its absolutely heartbreaking because I wanted to learn, instead I got locked into a terrible system at SIUE that I couldnt get out of. If SIUE is your only option for a 'higher education', then just wait a few years. Working at a minimum wage job is better worth your time than going here. You will gain no real knowledge at SIUE. At best you gain a couple of friends & share memorable experiences. An absolutely, wonderful memory that I will always have of SIUE is when a professor planned class time and material around her students performing finger puppet scenes on video. Keep in mind the class consists of around 20 individuals, set into smaller groups of course, aged 20-40. Try not to cringe. Or that time I had classes added to my schedule that I already attained credit for. Forced to pay for that. Or that time I had an online class. Problems down the line in the class? Dang, suck for you because SIUE policy is that if you dont drop on the very first day the class is active you wont get any refund. At all. Even partial. Forced to pay for that, unable to even take the class. Or that time my professor was 'sick' for the entire semester and just gave everyone Bs. Honors English... really? Or that time my professor forced her entire class, aside from people she liked, to find an animal. As in, a dead animal. A dead rodent, raccoon, pig, cat, dog, etc. The only criteria being that is was a mammal. Also, you have to dissect it perfectly afterwards and create a mount or 'do something creative' with it. (I wish this was a joke, but I paid money to learn this.) Or that time my counselor helped me out... oh wait. My first one quit after she scheduled the wrong classes. The next counselor given to me was counselling for a different major, so they refused to help me. The third counselor actually helped me thank the lord, Shadonna Woods. She was quickly replaced however. And we go back to the zero help for two more counselors in a row. Or that time the calculus professor, who is married to/is the head of a department, called the class (multiple times) retarded. 'Kids that come from other areas, other than edwardsville, usually really retarded. but this class everyone is retarded. you you you everyone retards dont know anything bout this math i teach' - professor being paid (Thankfully I dropped this class in time for a refund) SIUE is 80% filler classes, 15% dealing with narcissistic professors, 5% friends & 100% reason to drop this University

Nicholas

This school screws everyone over. Go anywhere else in America rather than here. The advisors are terrible, the teachers are terrible, and it’s overall one of the worst schools in the USA. Terrible everything. I wish I wouldn’t have gone here but now I’m stuck here getting screwed by the school.

Southern Illinois University is great if you are local or from a far. There are numerous restaurants, cultural activities, and events available to students. SIUE has programs for students of all walks of life and caters to each type of student. I would like to see more academic rigor, but when you have such a diverse population sometimes allowances have to be made. They do provide services for almost everything a student could need.

Isabella

I wish I attended a different school. I have been screwed over many times to the point that the school purposely kept me here an extra year to make extra money. The staff does not care about their students, plain and simple. SIUE just cares about the money.

Parker

I love it here at siue! Siue has been very welcoming. This is my first semester here because I went to a junior college in my hometown last semester. The offices at SIue are very helpful with all of my questions I have. The professors are great here as well.

Christopher

Southern Illinois is an okay school. It's not bad, but it's not the college ever. You'll pretty much get out what you put in. If you want to get involved in something, you'll definitely find it and find people who are just as passionate as you are.

Erynn

It isn't a very friendly environment at all. I transferred in Fall 2019 and was not welcomed in a way that was comforting. The environment in its entirety is not great, I have not met one person that has made me feel welcome on the campus. The only redeeming quality is that it is near St. Louis, but even then, St. Louis isn't a very safe environment.

Ahmina

SOuthern Illinois has a beautiful Camupus, very relaxing, and well kept, they care about students without transportation if you dont have a car and live in the apartments dont worry you can alway catch the shutttle to class, or even to stores like walmart , or stores nearby,like in dowrtown edwadsville. Classes are great most are 50 mins but if your able to keep up with the material it is great. Overall SIUE is an amazing place to be no complaints.

I enjoy how small, and home like it feels. I feel safe and happy when at school, and I do not dread going to school like I did when I went to community college when it is a good thing. I enjoy being able to walk the trails in my free time and look at all the beautiful wildlife over all the campus is fantastic and beautiful.