Southern Maine Community College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Southern Maine Community College

Calen

A very "under-rated" college. Community colleges get a bad reputation, but SMCC is a cheap, extremely viable option for anyone looking to start on a degree, and it's very easy to transfer to another degree at another institution, but the degrees absolutely prepare students for various careers.

Cole

Southern Maine Community College(SMCC) is pretty good. I am going to list off pro's, con's then my final conclusion. Pro's: Small classrooms ( Max of 30 people ) Majority of the Professors are good Tutoring ( Free ) Library On Coast( Doesn't charge extra for) Low Tuition 2 on campus housing Dining Hall Late night hours Dining hall meal plans Con's: Dining Hall food not always great Some professors use Blackboard and some don't Some professors want paper copy and some don't Overall SMCC is pretty good. The tuition is pretty low and the cost per-credit is something like 90$ per. College life is pretty good. Lots of activities going on and there is something to do. One bad thing is some professors don't like blackboard while some do.

It's a nice college. It is small, but a good transition from high school to college. This school is much less intimidating than a university. It is a nice community and the teachers are very friendly. For the most part the teachers are very fair and want you to have a good college experience.

Cassandra

I

Claudia

I think that it is a great school to start at at least for my major. The people are so great and so are the teachers if you find the right ones I would suggest using the ratemyprofessor site to make sure that you get a good one. The campus is really safe even at all hours of the night and there is a huge sense of community here. I have taken a break from the school for my own personal reasons but I honestly cant wait to get back there

Aubrie

Southern Maine Community college has been excellent to work with starting my first year of college. I visited earlier in the year and really liked what i saw. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Campas was amazing and I was able to choose my classes so easily.

Novelle

I have attended SMCC on and off for a few years and always have a pleasant experience. The smaller classroom sizes work for me and seem to give off a more fun learning environment. The teachers have all been extremely nice so far and willing to help with any questions.

Brianna

The campus that I'm going to is fairly new and it's okay, compared to another one that's been there longer in another town. The campus is nice and has tons of space for classrooms, student parking, and student living. SMCC is basically located in the center of everything, meaning everything's close by and is walking distance from the school.

Amber

Southern Maine Community College (SMCC) is a fun and safe campus. There's plenty of free resources, as well as job opportunities, for students on campus. Along side this, there's plenty of clubs and after school activities organized by both students and faculty to suit everyone's interest, and if there's not you have the option to start your own. SMCC is also located next to a major city in the area as well, this alongside with free transportation for students, makes commuting and living options widely available. Overall I think it is a great campus, with great faculty and staff. I believe the school is a great and inexpensive place to start any college career.

Natalie

I am so happy to be attending Southern Maine Community College in August 28, 2017. The campus is so nice and from the first time visiting the College I thought that the Professors and staff even the students were really nice and welcoming. I love the campus and the classes they provide at Southern Maine Community College. I am so excited to be in the health science program and work and there amazing lab with manikin that talk to you! I am beyond excited!!!! I also love how they have an extra support systems for those who have learning disabilities such as myself. It is a very nice working environment and I think I'll enjoy my year's to come at Southern Maine Community College.

Will

I love it!!!! It is relatively inexpensive, very nice campus, and the staff are wonderful. Very pleased. I love the surrounding community, and there are many little shops and coffee houses to go to. The academics are unbeatable, and I have learned more in college than I did in highschool.

Alex

This is a really good school that accommodates and accepts people of all ages. It’s mainly a commuter school so the community isn’t tightly knit but I’d say the student life is decent. I personally would never live in these dorms, they’re just too small for my liking. The food from the cafeteria is decent, but the campus cafe has horrible food. The campus itself is beautiful, being right on the coast, although it needs to be better maintained as weeds will soon take over certain areas. Overall, this is a great school for people looking to get their associates or take a couple classes for a great price.

Mariah

Not that amazing. Just there to get my associates degree. Some really amazing professors, some don’t really get the information in your head. Some think that because they are a teacher they are more important than you are. One teacher i have lectures a chapter or 2 then gives us a quiz and expects us to know the material and thinks its our fault all of the time, when we don’t do well on quizzes

Kalista

I love it. Absolutly beautiful, relaxing veiws after a strenuous day studying. You can dip your toes in the ocean whenever you please. Ive fallen in love with the campus and grown very close to many professors and instructors. Made many memories, I'll never forget.

Riley

As a student in the third semester (out of five) of the Radiography program at SMCC, I am extremely satisfied by the schooling I receive. I am learning a whole lot, and it's all current and pertinent material that we need for our careers as radiographers. I am currently working clinical hours during the summer through this program, which has placed up to 2nd on the most successful Radiography technologist programs of the nation. Almost every student has a job with one of the Maine hospitals or off-sites that we shadowed at before graduation. The entire process teaches us how to safely perform our daily tasks as we work at varying locations and types of clinics. We gain experience in OR, ER, Fluoroscopy, in patient, out patient, and walk-in care. I cannot recommend this program enough. All of the incredibly dense material and hard work it takes to get in and succeed by meeting the high expectations is worth it in the end, because you leave school with your career starting straight after. No worrying about where to go and where to apply, because you've already gotten to train in all of the major locations and meet the staffs that will pass on praises between locations. This is the way that all college should be, in my opinion; career almost guaranteed, and very minimal debt.

Angela

Southern Maine Community College is a great starter school. Earning an associates degree here is one of the best thing I did for myself. It is cheap, the teachers are amazing, and you get real life experience from them. They also do online classes, which works for my busy schedule.